PC gamers, what do you do when you hit the limits of your system?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Dirty Hipsters:
Why in god's name do you need TRIPLE monitors?!

Dwarf Fortress in center screen.
Dwarf Therapist on Right Screen.
Dwarf Stonesense on Left Screen.

>_>.

spend 50-100 bucks to upgrade and have a new computer for 1/4 - 1/6th the price of a new console or 1/10 - 1/50th a new pc

theultimateend:

Dirty Hipsters:
Why in god's name do you need TRIPLE monitors?!

Dwarf Fortress in center screen.
Dwarf Therapist on Right Screen.
Dwarf Stonesense on Left Screen.

>_>.

Left third of the game on the left, central third of the game in the centre, and right third of the game on the right. =D

gmaverick019:

MercurySteam:
Hmmmm

Huh, don't really think I'll ever need to do anything :D

holy fans batman

what cards you got in that big beast?

very impressive, and jealous

There's 16 fans including PSU fan. The two CPU fans are TY-140s, which don't reach high RPMs but move plenty of air and are very quiet. The GPUs you see are two Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked V2 in SLI. Even a GTX 680 can't rival that kind of firepower.

MercurySteam:

gmaverick019:

MercurySteam:
Hmmmm

Huh, don't really think I'll ever need to do anything :D

holy fans batman

what cards you got in that big beast?

very impressive, and jealous

There's 16 fans including PSU fan. The two CPU fans are TY-140s, which don't reach high RPMs but move plenty of air and are very quiet. The GPUs you see are two Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked V2 in SLI. Even a GTX 680 can't rival that kind of firepower.

sweet jesus. how much would you say (in a guesstimate) did you spend on your rig? (excluding monitor/keyboard/etc..)

tis a very powerful machine indeed, i feel a admiral ackbar quote "can't repel firepower of that magnitude" is needed here.

gmaverick019:
sweet jesus. how much would you say (in a guesstimate) did you spend on your rig? (excluding monitor/keyboard/etc..)

tis a very powerful machine indeed, i feel a admiral ackbar quote "can't repel firepower of that magnitude" is needed here.

Hahaha thanks. I reckon that it cost around 2K AUD. Not exacly something I want to spend every couple of years but defintely worth it if it doesn't break down.

MercurySteam:
[

The GPUs you see are two Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked V2 in SLI. Even a GTX 680 can't rival that kind of firepower.

Uh, yes, yes it can. and does.

That's single card performance, so not so much help, but it does set the scene.

Kepler GK104 includes TXAA and GPU Boost, which isn't on your card. Also the GTX 680 has 2GB of VRAM.

In addition, a single GTX 680 is slightly more powerful than both your cards together. what's your resolution?

Also whilst we're on the subject

FEAR

Optimize the settings. I never use max settings in games anyway.

Even before I start a game, I never set my resolution higher than 1280x720, with medium graphic detail. I can run most games on max settings, but being a video maker, I usually factor in Fraps slowdowns.

Not much of a graphics whore. If I can't run at max, I turn it down. I'm not a PC Gamer because of hypothetical graphics potential. I'm a PC Gamer because that's the only platform that runs The Old Republic. So I got a PC when getting back into gaming, and buy my games on PC.

ResonanceSD:

MercurySteam:

The GPUs you see are two Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked V2 in SLI. Even a GTX 680 can't rival that kind of firepower.

Uh, yes, yes it can. and does.

That's single card performance, so not so much help, but it does set the scene.

True, but lemme show you some charts that are actually useful:

Here is the bench for the GTX680

Here is the bench for the GTX570 SLI

Look at them side by side and tell me I'm wrong. Remember, I'm talking raw framerates.

Finally, visit this speadsheet and look for my name. Look at what my cards scored and then look down and see what single GTX680s scored

ResonanceSD:
Kepler GK104 includes TXAA and GPU Boost, which isn't on your card. Also the GTX 680 has 2GB of VRAM.

TXAA is a feature but i was talking about pure gaming power and GPU boost currently does almost nothing to improve performance in games as some most reviews state. Plus the amount of vRAM I currently have is fine for the games I use (including RAGE on ULTRA with 8K textures)

MercurySteam:

Yes. Raw framerates. I imagine you have a 120Hz monitor which can actually take advantage of those.

ResonanceSD:

MercurySteam:

Yes. Raw framerates. I imagine you have a 120Hz monitor which can actually take advantage of those.

Nope, I cbf with 3D and having half your framerate. I just want to be able to run EVERYTHING very smooth for the next few years.

Keep playing stuff I can handle until I can afford and/or pilfer an upgrade off friends.

The i7 and GTX 560Ti are doing me just fine, don't think I'll need an upgrade for several years at least.

MercurySteam:

ResonanceSD:

MercurySteam:

Nope, I cbf with 3D and having half your framerate. I just want to be able to run EVERYTHING very smooth for the next few years.

My point being you can't actually see more FPS than your monitor can display Hz. So you know, your toaster oven is somewhat under utilised.

ResonanceSD:

MercurySteam:

ResonanceSD:

My point being you can't actually see more FPS than your monitor can display Hz. So you know, your toaster oven is somewhat under utilised.

I know that anything over 60FPS is pretty much useless for me but I bought these cards to last me over a period of a few years, so by then I'd wager that I'll still be getting framerates that I can actually see even then. A worthwhile investment in the long run for sure.

And I suppose at this point you want me to forget your claim that a single 680 can outperform my two OCed 570s?

I just live with it until I can afford to upgrade. :P

MercurySteam:

ResonanceSD:

MercurySteam:

I know that anything over 60FPS is pretty much useless for me but I bought these cards to last me over a period of a few years, so by then I'd wager that I'll still be getting framerates that I can actually see even then. A worthwhile investment in the long run for sure.

And I suppose at this point you want me to forget your claim that a single 680 can outperform my two OCed 570s?

Overclock a 4GB 680 to the same degree and see what the result is. =D

ResonanceSD:
Overclock a 2GB 680 to the same degree and see what the result is. =D

Remember that those Anandtech benches were using stock cards so on paper 2 570s are still more powerful. My cards aren't even OCed very much as you saw from the speadsheet but you can't change facts. It is what it is.

MercurySteam:

ResonanceSD:

Remember that those Anandtech benches were using stock cards so on paper 2 570s are still more powerful. My cards aren't even OCed very much as you saw from the speadsheet but you can't change facts. It is what it is.

Dude I've got SLI 580's as you can see from the above image, I'm not about changing facts, because I don't care that much. I'm just very conscious of the lifetime of top-end graphics =D

3rd party perfomance mods usually help
helped me for skyrim and dead island.

ResonanceSD:

MercurySteam:

ResonanceSD:

Dude I've got SLI 580's as you can see from the above image, I'm not about changing facts, because I don't care that much. I'm just very conscious of the lifetime of top-end graphics =D

Glad we understand each other then. Annnnnnnnd, onto the next!

Cure cancer I guess.
That said, I haven't yet reached the limits of my system, BF3 and TES:5 run fine on maxed.

MercurySteam:

ResonanceSD:

MercurySteam:

Glad we understand each other then. Annnnnnnnd, onto the next!

Was that table the Heaven 3.0 bench? I might give it a crack when I get home =D

Google "<Game in question> performance", then "<Game in question> performance mod", if the first gets me nowhere. Not really in a position to decide when and how I upgrade yet, sadly.

Pretty much just scale down the settings.

However, considering I have a 350 machine thats over a year old, (about $500 I think), and it's doing me just fine, I'm in no rush to go remortgage to buy an Alienware right now.

Honestly, I think the gamer PC market is just silly, everything seems SO far ahead of what's actually needed to play modern games. Why future proof your new machine when you can just add components when you actually need to, knowing that by default, they'll be far cheaper than a year ago?

I think many of us are altogether far too obsessed with benchmarks and frames per second. If it looks ok, stop fiddling with it and enjoy life. (a life lesson that applies to many things.)

So because I'm such a reasonable person, I've decided that 11 fans isn't enough, and I'm adding another intake. =D

Over-clock, and if that is insufficient, then I upgrade.

ResonanceSD:

Here's the official thread.

Good luck!

First I Rearrange my programs and services in order to allot more power to the game. Then I adjust the settings to match the new capacity. Finally, I start searching the Internet for ways I could enhance or upgrade my computer.

And if that don't work, use more gun.

Umm depends. If there's cash on hand to spare I get a new graphics card. Otherwise I just live with it until I can get a new graphics card. Not getting a new graphics card at some point naturally implies you've died and gone to hell doesn't it?

MercurySteam:

ResonanceSD:

Good luck!

EDIT: Oops, this post came thru twice. No idea how.

FPS:
Scores:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

turn up the cooling or blast the MOBO directly with a desk fan.
or turn down the settings upgrading it when I have enough money

Buy a new graphics card, which can be cheaper than the cheapest console because of the variety. Another stick of RAM helps too.

MercurySteam:

ResonanceSD:

Good luck!

Posting results now. =D I think i did ok

Hide in my bed in a fetal position and silently weep.

AngryFrenchCanadian:
Hide in my bed in a fetal position and silently weep.

you aren't my guitar, get out of there!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked