Xboxes may be banned In the US as well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Djinn8:

Motorola claims that the Xbox 360 uses "Motorola-developed technology that allows set-top boxes to decode transmissions between its Droid2 and DroidX mobile devices" while Microsoft argues that Motorola refused "to abide by requirements set by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Standards Association to set reasonable license fees of essential technology.

A little late for microsoft to be complaining now. They must have written a contract accepting that Motorola were going to develop a patent for there own transmission device. The whole case just seems to be about Microsoft worming out of paying their dues. The judge is right, they should honor their deals or GTFO.

Microsoft ain't the only one trying to weasel out of shit: http://www.androidauthority.com/microsoft-patent-motorola-infringement-activesync-import-ban-87157/

Sheesh this shit goes back for years: http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/10/motorola-strikes-back-sues-microsoft-for-infringement-of-16-patents/

And they wonder why so many people rightly see software patents as a bad thing...

canadamus_prime:
Microsoft should just buy the patent from Motorola, there problem solved. Or better yet, why doesn't Microsoft just buy out Motorola?

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. That's exactly what's going to happen (buying the patent). Motorola have got them over the barrel however. I'm guessing that the initial buyout price was too high for their liking, so Motorola are upping the licence fees to force the issue - hence the court case. Business is only fair when it's working in your favor I guess.

Microsoft will hold the fight until the 720 is out and it doesn't mattter any more.

For what i understand the will just ban the sale of new consoles, all services will be available for old xbox consoles and slim one already sold. maybe they could restar making elite consoles.

I'm actually curious how this is will turn out. I could be wrong, but I though sony had more hold in Europe so the banning of xbox in germany while a big financial hit is not that big a deal, but (and again I could be wrong), xbox is the dominant console in the US isn't it. That would be a scary market to lose.

Zachary Amaranth:

BartyMae:

There's a difference between not wanting to see your work exploited, (while alive), and thinking you can still make money off of it...

*sigh* The same argument really applies, though "exploited" is a pretty loaded word here.

I think you've got a pretty narrow view on the issue. If copyright had such a relatively short time limit, companies like Marvel, DC Comics, Nintendo and many other companies that rely on established characters and IPs would take a big hit to their profitability.

It's all well and good in the case of one person who writes a popular book/song/film, but companies last for many generations and need to have a way to protect their own brands in order to be stable and future-proof. Nobody would want to invest in a company whose property becomes open to public looting in twenty-eight years, by law.

I tried to care, but i'm too busy not being american, playing Diablo 3 on my PC :P

Here's what's gonna happen: Microsoft throws some money at this problem, or possibly even just raises an eyebrow. And it goes away.

well this sucks, what am i going to do if my Xbox kick the bucket? can't buy a new one. stupid patent BS. although my Xbox is over 3 years old and it still works, and it one the big white ones... so maybe i won't have to worry bout' it failing. meh... guess i'll have to wait and see.

This is killing me inside. Isn't this the absolute epitome of patent trolling?

When patent reforms become highly demanded, and patent owners ask why, we can point at this.

Esotera:
This is stupid, software patents really need to go. I think there was recently a ruling in the UK that invalidates/diminishes them, but unfortunately nothing worldwide yet.

Damn straight. The whole "patent wars" thing is just insanely stupid. Helps nothing but the corporations bottom line.

not gonna happen... just sayin... the U.S. looovess big buisness if their part corrupt even better! the gov aint gonna let some rich money making system get put down,

now if it was a small buisness.......

ok.... Is motorola running out of money or something? Or did they JUST realise whats goes on inside these xbox thingies :P

Despite all of the perfectly valid arguments against it, there's a vindictive little Microsoft-hater inside me that really wants to see this happen. I guess I just want to watch the world burn.

Also, I think Motorola should make royalties of the use of H.264 when it's built into an OS or a piece of firmware. Condemning folks pirating Windows and then turning around and pirating a codec for use in their commercial product... is a pretty typical Microsoft move, really. Glad it's being contested this time.

Somonah:
I tried to care, but i'm too busy not being american, playing Diablo 3 on my PC :P

Adorable.

I swear sometimes I wish SOPA passed, just as a big "fuck you" to the rest of the world.

i hope some of you realize there is a different between copyrights and patents.

irrc, copyrights are about the rights on artistic work: books, movies, music, etc. copyrights last a long time (and some companies like Disney are trying to get them to hold forever).

patents are about particular pieces of technology: hardware, software, etc. patents last for a much shorter time, mainly to allow the person or company who invented the technology enough time to get a profit, but not so long to stifle innovation or allow the company to be a total dick to everyone else by not allowing use.

we're talking about the latter.

Esotera:
This is stupid, software patents really need to go. I think there was recently a ruling in the UK that invalidates/diminishes them, but unfortunately nothing worldwide yet.

If you put time and money into developing a piece of software, that people find useful, unless YOU decide to put it out there for free, you have every right to patent, and profit from it.... Otherwise the argument could be made that I should get Windows for free, or Skyrim... These various things that people have spent years developing would have to be free.

And before you make the argument " well somthing that is 1000 lines of code, versus 100,000,000 lines of code are two entirely different things... Not legally... case and point: http://www.actionbioscience.org/genomic/crg.html

according to that article, once they allowed a patent on a bacteria they could then patent a mouse.... so by extension, no patent on 1000 lines of code, then no patent on 1 million. If size and complexity don't matter with living organisms, then it CERTAINLY doesn't matter for computer code.

This is starting to sound much too like a war on gaming... as much as I prefer PS3, the future of the games market is potentially at stake because of a stupid patent dispute and ham-fisted judges. Everyone who cares about gaming should stand behind Microsoft.

If this happens, I hope people boycott Motorola HARD.

MorganL4:

If you put time and money into developing a piece of software, that people find useful, unless YOU decide to put it out there for free, you have every right to patent, and profit from it.... Otherwise the argument could be made that I should get Windows for free, or Skyrim... These various things that people have spent years developing would have to be free.

And before you make the argument " well somthing that is 1000 lines of code, versus 100,000,000 lines of code are two entirely different things... Not legally... case and point: http://www.actionbioscience.org/genomic/crg.html

according to that article, once they allowed a patent on a bacteria they could then patent a mouse.... so by extension, no patent on 1000 lines of code, then no patent on 1 million. If size and complexity don't matter with living organisms, then it CERTAINLY doesn't matter for computer code.

Protecting a program that a company has written is entirely different from preventing other companies using similar algorithms in completely different software. If someone actually implements a method in code (say 30 lines) and another company mysteriously produces the same method, with exactly the same 30 lines, then they should be able to sue. If someone implements the same method, but does it without looking at the original, then they should be allowed to do so, as long as their program isn't replicating exactly the same functionality as the original.

Without getting much more technical, most software patents aren't on new or exciting ideas, and it's impossible to know which ones you're breaking as programmers often reach the same solution on a problem. The program itself is already protected, there's no need to copyright maths.

Wayneguard:
Ever since I first saw Han Solo blast out of Mos Eisley in the Falcon, I've wanted to be a smuggler. Guess now I'll get my chance.

You just need a huge dark brown German Shepherd and call it Chewie.

In all seriousness, this is THE ULTIMATE bullshit.

Aeonknight:

Somonah:

Adorable.

I swear sometimes I wish SOPA passed, just as a big "fuck you" to the rest of the world.

I agree, I would love to see out problems spread to those that laugh at us just for being "Americunts". People don't understand that we're gamers just like them that don't like our mutual form of entertainment to be fucked with. But we're in the wrong for being American. Shoddy world we live in. :\

Samurai Silhouette:

Aeonknight:

Somonah:

Adorable.

I agree, I would love to see out problems spread to those that laugh at us just for being "Americunts". People don't understand that we're gamers just like them that don't like our mutual form of entertainment to be fucked with. But we're in the wrong for being American. :\

To be fair, it's not that people have problems with US citizens, it's that people have problem with the US as a power. If the US showed the world that yes, they actually do have the power to control the internet, or at least make life really uncomfortable if they really wanted, ala a SOPA like situation, us non americans aren't going to be hateful towards the citizens, it's going to be against those with power.

And come on, let's be realistic here. Americans laugh at everyone else's problems as often as we laugh at yours, the difference is, we get less of a chance to do it to you. So it's all concentrated in small bursts instead of being consistently spread out.

James Joseph Emerald:

I think you've got a pretty narrow view on the issue. If copyright had such a relatively short time limit, companies like Marvel, DC Comics, Nintendo and many other companies that rely on established characters and IPs would take a big hit to their profitability.

And?

No, seriously, and?

Further, why do they NEED to be able to rely on this? It actually stifles innovation, because they tend to rely on old fallbacks.

Besides, you're talking about companies that take away the IP rights of the authors. Why should I feel bad for them? Why should anyone? You accuse me of a narrow viewpoint, yet there is no real reason to feel sympathy. These are the exact industries that are creating a harmfulenvironment in the first place.

daveman247:
ok.... Is motorola running out of money or something? Or did they JUST realise whats goes on inside these xbox thingies :P

We have no idea how long this has been going on.

Lilani:

While I agree copyright laws have gotten out of hand, I would go for up to the death of the author. I'm hoping on getting a book published in the future, and I think it would be rather tragic for someone to make a moderately successful piece when they're about 25, just to see it taken and rehashed and made much more successful and have to watch all that money flow into someone else's pocket (especially now with people saying the 10-20 year olds of today will probably be living easily into their 100s). Information does need to flow into the public domain, but authors and artists shouldn't have to bear witness to someone else making money off of their idea.

What you're concerned about is if you wrote something and you're in your 80's (from a proposed 56 years to get a profit) and someone does your idea better. Really, it's fair enough to want to make money off of work, but keeping information out of the public domain just so you can make money until the day you die is just as bad as it is now in principle.

As well, copyright law was redesigned to let corporations profit from the works of long dead authors (Walt Disney being the foremost example), not artists.

You're just being hopeful and greedy.

Samurai Silhouette:

Aeonknight:

Somonah:

Adorable.

I agree, I would love to see out problems spread to those that laugh at us just for being "Americunts". People don't understand that we're gamers just like them that don't like our mutual form of entertainment to be fucked with. But we're in the wrong for being American. Shoddy world we live in. :\

It's always the fucking Anglos that pull that shit too. Brits, Aussies, but not the Irish. Irish are pretty cool on the internet.

If you're from Ireland, good on ya.

Richardplex:

Samurai Silhouette:

Aeonknight:

Adorable.

I agree, I would love to see out problems spread to those that laugh at us just for being "Americunts". People don't understand that we're gamers just like them that don't like our mutual form of entertainment to be fucked with. But we're in the wrong for being American. :\

To be fair, it's not that people have problems with US citizens, it's that people have problem with the US as a power. If the US showed the world that yes, they actually do have the power to control the internet, or at least make life really uncomfortable if they really wanted, ala a SOPA like situation, us non americans aren't going to be hateful towards the citizens, it's going to be against those with power.

And come on, let's be realistic here. Americans laugh at everyone else's problems as often as we laugh at yours, the difference is, we get less of a chance to do it to you. So it's all concentrated in small bursts instead of being consistently spread out.

Why are we, the gamers that share the same thoughts and interests, being grouped with those that laugh at another country's expense? The people that do that I doubt are even concerned with games.

OT: I'll be buying all my Motorola products second hand from now on.

Freechoice:

It's always the fucking Anglos that pull that shit too. Brits, Aussies, but not the Irish. Irish are pretty cool on the internet.

If you're from Ireland, good on ya.

That's not true. I'm Irish and I'm not cool on the Internet...

Zachary Amaranth:

Besides, you're talking about companies that take away the IP rights of the authors. Why should I feel bad for them? Why should anyone? You accuse me of a narrow viewpoint, yet there is no real reason to feel sympathy. These are the exact industries that are creating a harmfulenvironment in the first place.

Not really, I'm talking about companies in general. I just thought you'd sympathise with the comics example.

It's very reductive and narrow-minded to automatically assume that physical objects are subject to all the laws of ownership, but designs, concepts, characters, virtual objects and works of art belong to the world, no matter how hard their original creators worked on them and want to keep them.

And companies aren't inherently soulless. Anyone can start a company based around their IP, and many do. I think intellectual property is as valid as physical property, and attempts to force people to give up their IPs is equivalent to forcing them to give away all their outdated products for free to whoever wants them, just because people feel entitled to it.

Wayneguard:
Ever since I first saw Han Solo blast out of Mos Eisley in the Falcon, I've wanted to be a smuggler. Guess now I'll get my chance.

This.
I've already offered to ship American games to Australia for (depending on what shipping and exchange looks like) a fraction of the price you'd normally end up buying them at from Australian stores.

ForgottenPr0digy:
so i have to kiss my 360 goodbye

I doubt they'll go after people who already have a 360. It would be too difficult.

superbatranger:

ForgottenPr0digy:
so i have to kiss my 360 goodbye

I doubt they'll go after people who already have a 360. It would be too difficult.

This won't affect people who already own one at all, it'll only prevent new ones from being sold. Patent law doesn't work in a way that lets that happen, at least not to consumer goods.

If you go read what the patents are, you'll be asking the universe: WTF?
Seriously those patents are retarded, they basically go like this:
Dis patent be about all audio encoding methods and whatnot, you know liek audio and stuffz.

And there's almost 10 of those that are both about audio and video, and all encoders/decoders novadays use the methods, but Motorola ain't doing anything about them...

Isn't it bad for the consumer though? If the 360 was banned in the U.S. than game companies would stop producing for the 360 and anyone who just so happened to have bought a 360 would be screwed and would have to go buy a PS3 or Wii.

There's also the fact that this will put alot of people out of the job. Surely the U.S. has been trying to keep jobs up?

Zachary Amaranth:

Vivi22:

canadamus_prime:
Microsoft should just buy the patent from Motorola, there problem solved.

Why would Motorola ever sell the patent when they may have Microsoft over a barrel? Even if they did, they'd probably want a lot more than Microsoft thinks they should have to pay.

Considering they didn't think they even had to license it in the first place, I'm inclined to agree.

Pretty much this. Though when patent laws cause crap like this it makes it hard to believe that they don't need to be re-drafted.

James Joseph Emerald:

Not really, I'm talking about companies in general. I just thought you'd sympathise with the comics example.

Companies reliant on taking the IPs of others and making millions off of them. The sort of Exploitation that was the fear of the poster I'd originally replied to. The sort of companies that make sure authors and musicians and artists stay impoverished or have to file for bankruptcy.

Remind me why you think I'd be sympathetic? Especially as a would-be author myself?

It's very reductive and narrow-minded to automatically assume that physical objects are subject to all the laws of ownership, but designs, concepts, characters, virtual objects and works of art belong to the world, no matter how hard their original creators worked on them and want to keep them.

Hope that's not applied to me, because I never said that.

And companies aren't inherently soulless.[/quote]

Again, not something I said, so I hoped that wasn't aimed at me.

Anyone can start a company based around their IP, and many do. I think intellectual property is as valid as physical property, and attempts to force people to give up their IPs is equivalent to forcing them to give away all their outdated products for free to whoever wants them, just because people feel entitled to it.

Intellectual property is more protected than physical property. Nowhere else is someone granted such unilateral control of an item once they have sold it. And it really matters little if someone can make a company based on their IP, that's not the type of company that fits the examples you used, the type I was arguing about here. The people who would be hurt by this ARE the long-term ones who are large corporate entities relying on the same IPs for decades. The example of time given covers most of an adult lifespan and is hardly consequential to the types you are now bringing up. Do you really think Sherlock Holmes should be a protected character right now?

microsoft is too powerful in the us, this probs won't happen. Still might buy a slim now just in case.

This is stupid, and it won't happen. next controversy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked