When play feels like work.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Most games have this, but some more than others. What were the occasions in gaming when you thought to yourself "hey, what I'm doing ammounts to a second job, and I'm not even getting payed for it!"

I gotta say mine happened early on when trying out EVE Online.

Mining in EVE Online is a pretty damn good example, there's no question about that. I think mining in actual life is more exciting.

Mount & Blade inevitably starts to feel like that after a while.

Grinding XP to level up troops for garrisons, then constantly running from one end of my little kingdom to the other fending off an endless succession of raids and incursions.

Project Reality, Battlefield 2 Mod. It's an amazing overhaul and I love it but sometimes I feel like I'm actually in the fucking army when I spend half the match defending an empty road and digging foxholes. These matches can take up to like 4 hours each btw.

Harvest Moon falls in to this quite a bit.

Still, there is a overwhelming sense of achievement when you do get your crops, and animals sorted out.

I'am going to mention one of the worst gaming experiences I had in recent years: The ressource-gathering "minigame" in ME2.....Oh my fucking god. It was so utterly boring and repetitive, it made me really angry - especially since even the MAKO in ME1, i.e. driving around on a planets surface till you see a ressource sign pop up on your radar, was much, much better in that regard....

Having to grind out several levels to get passed a boss 10 levels higher than the trash.

"Challenges" that exist solely to make you hate yourself by being ridiculously hard while being completely mandatory. Forcing players to knock down a wall with their face is not good design.

Animal Crossing.

I was checking the tree for fruit, sneaking up on bugs with a net, checking the shore for any items that wash up on shore and digging the ground for fossils.

I did this everyday for two hours all to pay back some racoon. Yup it sound like work to me well paying your debt.

It got a bit that way for me with COD. In the end I was only playing it because my friends wanted me to.

Jazoni89:
Harvest Moon falls in to this quite a bit.

Still, there is a overwhelming sense of achievement when you do get your crops, and animals sorted out.

Very true. I am still trying to quit Harvest Moon but...shit, it does get pretty satisfying when things go well. Buying my first chicken was a big achievement and I nearly had a squirt when I got my first Cow.

Final Fantasy XIII...when you don't skip the cutscenes.

Try having played World of Warcraft for almost six years, only recently leaving it for good, and looking back on how you used to spend your time with shame. That game is the definition of a game that feels like a job that you pay for.

Dajosch:
I'am going to mention one of the worst gaming experiences I had in recent years: The ressource-gathering "minigame" in ME2.....Oh my fucking god. It was so utterly boring and repetitive, it made me really angry - especially since even the MAKO in ME1, i.e. driving around on a planets surface till you see a ressource sign pop up on your radar, was much, much better in that regard....

Yeah, it blows my mind that anyone thought that would be a good idea. I mean, these people get paid money to design games, and have access to playtesters. It's literally the equivalent of the the game designer saying "okay, now click 50 times with 5 seconds between each click. Then you get the upgrade.

OT: multiplayer shooters where you unlock crap. Just give me the guns so I can have fun with them kthx.

It was that creeping realization that made me stop raiding back in Burning Crusade. I do still sporadically play World'o'Warcraft, but I only do things I -actually- want to do. It's quite refreshing, it's like being retired or something.

Ehm... recently? Probably the bloody renovations in AC cities... s'like I'm a bloody landlord.

OK, that's getting old now, but it still holds, especially when you have to go around killing jackasses so that the bailiffs don't come a knockin'.

I can't think of any, actually. At least, not like what's described.

Every time I realize that a game feels like a job, it's accompanied by the realization that it's a job I enjoy doing, that I work by commission, and that my compensation is whatever the result of my actions are.

That would be the one and only MMO I've ever subbed to, SW:Galaxies.

I had a moment of clarity when I woke up early one morning to check my factories and answer an angry IM from a customer. I made a good chunk of my creds doing custom orders, and this guy was displeased with how long it was taking. Round about the second apology on my part, I took a step back and saw how far down the rabbit hole I'd actually fallen.

I returned the guys credits and quit the game a week later. I already had a job where customers routinely dumped on me. Why would I want, and/or need, another?

Scarim Coral:
Animal Crossing.

I was checking the tree for fruit, sneaking up on bugs with a net, checking the shore for any items that wash up on shore and digging the ground for fossils.

I did this everyday for two hours all to pay back some racoon. Yup it sound like work to me well paying your debt.

That game is evil. The guys behind it are sorcerers, they've managed to make paying of a debt fun, and I have no idea why or how.

I'd have to go with this too, and some of the parts in mount and blade. Though M&B is still amazing.

Every single game that has multitudes of fetch quests and "go kill this guy over here" sidequests with minimal effect on the story or the experience, aside from maybe obtaining some in-game cash or items.

It's gotten to the point I simply will end up stabbing people in Kingdoms of Amalur that ask, rather than be subjected to another round of 'collect-something-I-am-too-lazy-or-incompetent-to-get-for-myself' again.

Kahunaburger:

Yeah, it blows my mind that anyone thought that would be a good idea. I mean, these people get paid money to design games, and have access to playtesters. It's literally the equivalent of the the game designer saying "okay, now click 50 times with 5 seconds between each click. Then you get the upgrade.

OT: multiplayer shooters where you unlock crap. Just give me the guns so I can have fun with them kthx.

You want everything to be unlocked at the start? Come on man, you have to earn your shit. :P

It could have been handled better in ME2 though.

Zhukov:
Mount & Blade inevitably starts to feel like that after a while.

Grinding XP to level up troops for garrisons, then constantly running from one end of my little kingdom to the other fending off an endless succession of raids and incursions.

...because the lords you put in charge are too fucking stupid to defend their own shit even though you gave them some top-notch soldiers to help them defend with....

not quite like that...but when I really cant get into a game (no matter how good it is) it feels like that

Mafia II. Average cover based shootouts are the best this game gets. The rest of the time, you're either sitting in traffic, participating in melee brawls with your incredible set of 3 moves, or doing whatever druge work the game cooks up for you. Like in chapter 6 it made me clean toilets. Chapter 7 had me chaperoning 2 drunk guys with my radio hijacked, chapter 8 had me doing cigarette inventory, I'm sure there's more drugery after chapter 10 part 2, and chapter 3 had me driving to gas stations to sell them stolen stamps. And before that "Exciting" driving section, chapter 3 made me load crates onto a truck. I mean, I know you only have to load one, but he walks so painfully slow I might as well have to load the rest.

Chapter 1 stole an italy level from call of duty, and it's the best level in the game. Do not buy this game if you like GTA or Saints Row.

Every mmorpg I've played that felt like I was chasing a carrot on stick doing something a macro program could do.
And it made me wonder what the game's manufacturers think of me, to feel that kind of thing was a game.

Final Fantasy III DS did that for me. The grind was crushing. I've sold it without completing it.

I've also had a job that felt like a game. When I was a student I once got a holiday job of helping clean out the offices of our then recently defunct national airline company. We got to throw computers and other machinery in hugely deep containers. We made a game out of it to make them crash as spectacularly as possible and graded each other for it. It was infinitely more fun than Final Fantasy III DS.

CAPTCHA: "one hit wonder". Well yes, Captcha, that job certainly was. Guys, is this thing going sentient? I'm scared.

Yeah, mining in mass affect 2 sucked.

In single Player Red Dead Redemption, those "challenges", especially the flower gathering ones were pretty bad. I really wanted the coat you get for completing all the challenges, but I think you should get a reward inbetween them if I make sense.

Z of the Na'vi:
Try having played World of Warcraft for almost six years, only recently leaving it for good, and looking back on how you used to spend your time with shame. That game is the definition of a game that feels like a job that you pay for.

I've played for that long semi-casually and have experienced most of the endgame content. I have never had to rework my life to play the game and can get by without spending weeks farming. I just don't understand why people subject themselves to playing like that and say "Wow destroyed my life! Game is so grindy! All Wow's fault!".

My bullshit detector just goes berserk.

Don Savik:

Z of the Na'vi:

I've played for that long semi-casually and have experienced most of the endgame content. I have never had to rework my life to play the game and can get by without spending weeks farming. I just don't understand why people subject themselves to playing like that and say "Wow destroyed my life! Game is so grindy! All Wow's fault!".

You sound like a pretty casual wotlk/cata type of player, wish i'd seen you experience any endgame content back in BC or vanilla without farming. I'm not just talking about rose tinted glasses, it really was like that back then nowadays you get everything on a plate and they even award an achi for being a retard.

But ye wow is kind of a job like game, i wasn't into PvE since it's super boring and easy, but even logging on to do some arenas felt more like a chore than me enjoying after wotlk came out. I still don't understand how can anyone play this boring game anymore :(

i suspect every fantasy mmo is secretly funded by the logging and mining industry where every swing of that axe or pick causes a robot avatar to do the same in real life.

frankly its only a matter of time before some bright spark tries this sort of thing for real.. why pay people to work when you can get strangers to pay to do it under the guise of a game

BloatedGuppy:
Mining in EVE Online is a pretty damn good example, there's no question about that. I think mining in actual life is more exciting.

Of course it is. Mining in real life involves explosives! :D

For me it's the Open World-stuff Rockstar throws out. I just don't find anything enjoyable in traveling long distances for a mission. Needless to say I feel the pacing in their games is terrible because of this. I've been playing 'GTA 4' and 'Red Dead Redemption' since their launch and haven't been able to finish either one.

The last one was SW:TOR.

I never graduated form the WoW school of grinding so the the gear treadmill and daily quests felt like and abomination to me:

"Man I really need those rakata implants for operations but I already did these quests like 30 times, why can't I have some fun?"

Then I finished all the (two) end game operations...then I had to grind pvp for gear...then I rerolled a char for more grind...then I finally realised that the game actually stopped being fun when I reached lv 50.

In retrospect, everything I did beyond that point was more akin to a daily job than a video game.

Dirty Apple:
That would be the one and only MMO I've ever subbed to, SW:Galaxies.

I had a moment of clarity when I woke up early one morning to check my factories and answer an angry IM from a customer. I made a good chunk of my creds doing custom orders, and this guy was displeased with how long it was taking. Round about the second apology on my part, I took a step back and saw how far down the rabbit hole I'd actually fallen.

I returned the guys credits and quit the game a week later. I already had a job where customers routinely dumped on me. Why would I want, and/or need, another?

HA! Hilarious. Perhaps you live to serve?

Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon, especially Back To Nature.

In Animal Crossing once you've paid your debt back and done everything, the game becomes more of a toy than...well a game.

In Back To Nature, once you have the max number of animals and a sizeable crop space to harvest, by the time you are done just with everyday stuff, it's 3 in the afternoon.

Skyrim, but only when I got that f***ing stupid bug where I was stuck halfway between the main quest and the damn liberation quest and couldn't make a ceasefire. So once I'd done so many Imperial quests i got sick of it and haven't played the game since.

Another one was MGS4, I had a fun playthrough where I did whatever, then one that was no alerts, no kills sort of deal to get all the really good stuff, but by then I was too jaded to bother using any of it. I fired like one round of the Tanegashima and moved on to another game.

Don Savik:

There comes a point when after playing a game for six freaking years that it becomes somehow tedious and samey, believe it or not.

If you're still having fun with it, more power to you. I however, have moved on.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked