Shadow of the Colossus Movie Lands Director.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

According to a new report, 'Chronicle' director Josh Trank has signed on with Sony Pictures to develop and direct a live-action Shadow Of The Colossus film.

Deadline says the studio is interviewing writers for the project. Trank is currently developing Fantastic Four for Fox and the Spider-Man spinoff Venom for Sony Pictures.

When asked for comment, a Sony Computer Entertainment representative said the company has nothing to report at this time. A Shadow of the Colossus movie has been talked about since 2009.

So a guy whose currently developing Fantastic Four (which was kinda meh) and Venom (haven't heard anything about) is picking up Shadow of the Colossus. How safe do you think this is? Will it fall into the huge Game-To-Movie pit along with pretty much everything else ever tried?

It's a pretty cinematic game but if they try to shoe-horn too much BS into, like the ever favorite Love Interest shit, or get too much wrong it can bite them in the ass.

Or is this a "obscure" enough game that they can take a bit of freedom with it without dealing with too much drama?

Urgh, really?

It's a great game and all, but it does not lend itself well to being a movie.

I mean, I suppose it's not beyond possible that it could be adapted successfully, but I don't see this ending in anything worthwhile.

Who the hell asked for this? A live action adaptation of a mostly silent game consisting of stretches of monotony interspersed with action. Yeah, sounds like a real blockbuster.

I could maybe see an animated adaptation, but live action? No. Just...no.

wintercoat:
Who the hell asked for this? A live action adaptation of a mostly silent game consisting of stretches of monotony interspersed with action. Yeah, sounds like a real blockbuster.

Certainly not Adam Jensen.

Freechoice:

wintercoat:

Certainly not Adam Jensen.

Took me a second to figure out what the hell you were talking about. Got a chuckle out of me when I did. Kudos to you good sir!

All I have to say is that if they are actually going to go through with this. They better do a pretty damn good job. (Which will probably be unlikely...)

I love Shadow of the Colossus...

Unless they're planning multiple films this seems like it could be one long movie. There are 16 Colossi after all, or perhaps it won't focus on the killing of the Colossi but instead focus on the events that led to Wander embarking on his quest to kill them. All we really know is he was trying to bring his sister and or girlfriend back to life. That could be interesting if handled correctly.

The only thing that keeps going through my mind when I read this is "WHY!!?"

WHY do we need this? Who honestly wants this? Haven't the past attempts of video game movies taught people nothing?

Just...ugh WHY!!??

Reading this thread has reminded me that there are some fan made movie trailers for this game on Youtube.

My reaction.

This is not a good idea. Although I am curious to see the fights with the colossi in live action. However the rest of the story of Shadow the Colossus does not lend itself to a movie. i.e. barely any spoken dialogue (and what is spoken is in some incomprehensible language) and the lion share of the game is just wandering around the wilderness to the next fight.

A Shadow of the Colossus movie...

Couldn't you just record all of the cutscenes, split those up with some skillfull gameplay footage of killing the Colossi, wrap that all together into one seamless video and call it a day?

hah i tend to enjoy alot of bad movies that are made..but this definitely does not sound good at all

granted, i liked chronicle, but this just...it's an uphill battle to be certain

The Artificially Prolonged:

This is not a good idea. Although I am curious to see the fights with the colossi in live action. However the rest of the story of Shadow the Colossus does not lend itself to a movie. i.e. barely any spoken dialogue (and what is spoken is in some incomprehensible language) and the lion share of the game is just wandering around the wilderness to the next fight.

It would be a different type of movie for sure. No recognizable audio would be a new way to do a movie for sure, the Colossi would be something worth seeing though.

My concern is that he's juggling all these jobs. For a truly great movie, it needs the director's full attention.

wintercoat:

They made a good film adaptation of The Road. This can be done. They just have to nail, I mean nail, the atmosphere. This will not be a talky, explodey movie.

This is an awful idea. SotC doesn't have a narrative structure to speak of, it's also completely linear, meaning it will translate horribly into film. If this goes through, it'll be a colossal failure (see what I did there? ;] ).

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgI2ZQVyrBo

HAHAHA... oh man.. really?!?

Out of all the games that actually have a strong narrative focus, they picked a game that is essentially completely focused on exploration and boss battles, it's like they're trying to fuck up on purpose. I will attempt to reserve my judgment, but it's really not a good idea.. the fact that it's live action makes it even worse.

I'm confused as to why this needs to be a movie, I mean, how can you possibly make this into a movie?

No, just.....no.

Bracing for garbage...

The main hero, Wanderer, doesn't talk... so are they planning on doing a Wall-E?

Better have some Wanderer 1st Person shots in there when he's duking it out with a Colossi. It really captures the scale with something like that coming at you.

Then again... how on earth will they squeeze 15 of those behemoths into a 1-3 hour movie? Go all out Matrix Mode?

What? I'm curious.

Could be worse.

They could've gotten Michael Bay to direct it.

Wander will be a continously screaming Shia LeBeouf. The Collosi will be a bunch of overdesigned racial stereotypes. The girl you're trying to save? Instead of lying there serenely, she'll be poledancing or draping her ass over a motorcycle. Speaking of which, lets replace the horse with a talking motorcycle for some comic relief. Editing will be incomprehensible and nauseating. Mise en scene will be ugly and nonsensical. Continuity errors will be rampant. All those quiet, sad moments in the game? Replaced with Michael BaySPLOSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and in the end, it'll be the US Army who ends up saving the day. Probably with Bay sodomizing himself with a missile somewhere.

Regardless, it still has an overwhelmingly high chance of sucking

Shadow of the Colossus isn't something Bay would be interested in. He'd probably like a movie based off Call of Duty Black Ops or maybe House of the Dead Overkill.

chimpzy:
Could be worse.

They could've gotten Michael Bay to direct it.

Wander will be a continously screaming Shia LeBeouf. The Collosi will be a bunch of overdesigned racial stereotypes. The girl you're trying to save? Instead of lying there serenely, she'll be poledancing or draping her ass over a motorcycle. Speaking of which, lets replace the horse with a talking motorcycle for some comic relief. Editing will be incomprehensible and nauseating. Mise en scene will be ugly and nonsensical. Continuity errors will be rampant. All those quiet, sad moments in the game? Replaced with Michael BaySPLOSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and in the end, it'll be the US Army who ends up saving the day. Probably with Bay sodomizing himself with a missile somewhere.

Regardless, it still has an overwhelmingly high chance of sucking

It would make $50 billion dollars and be held as the epitome of Game-To-Movie releases and receive un-dieing praise from all but the harshest critiques who actually know about the game.

That said, I would watch it. It'd be one of those things you'd have to watch just to laugh at how horrible it is. Like Battleship or anything with Rifftrax on it.

Wayneguard:

wintercoat:

They made a good film adaptation of The Road. This can be done.

The Road was probably the most slow paced, boring film I have ever seen. I don't know why peope think it's good.

OT; This will be fucking terrible. This does not need to happen, ever. Nobody wants this to happen. This can never be done right even if we wanted it done in the first place.

I have nightmare visions of a montage scene showcasing various colossi being defeated and falling to the ground in turn whilst the main character narrates over it all with a pounding rock soundtrack in the background, like in 300 where they fought the elephants and rhinos and those grenade guys. Yes, it is as terrible as it sounds.

Its an amazing game but "Wut". I mean I'd love to see a Live action Avion battle while DAT MUSIC plays but I think watching a guy defeat 16 collosi with no supporting characters and little dialogue would be pretty tedious viewing.

Soxafloppin:
Its an amazing game but "Wut". I mean I'd love to see a Live action Avion battle while DAT MUSIC plays but I think watching a guy defeat 16 collosi with no supporting characters and little dialogue would be pretty tedious viewing.

They could probably break up the colossi fights with flashbacks to better flesh out Wander's relationship with that girl, and show how the whole thing came about. The game tells you almost nothing about what's going on or what happened until later, so it would probably require little bits of the backstory explained throughout the movie for the audience to truly understand and appreciate the situation Wander has put himself in.

As far as scenes in the wasteland, it would probably have to be more about Wander's desire to continue despite his degenerating condition, with Agro acting as an outside viewer that the audience would relate to. These scenes would have to be short, but what I like about them is that they really could be played out entirely through emotion, with no dialogue whatsoever.

They just couldn't make the movie long enough to do each colossi justice. Even if we only do 5 minutes for each colossus that's already 80 minutes. If that's the case, then there will be no atmosphere of exploration and isolation. Simply put, the film will have to be 4 hours to really convey the feeling of the game.

They're going to fuck this up 100%.

Here's my guess:
There will probably only be 1 colossi, it will be the third act of the movie, it will be extremely disappointing and we'll probably get a happy ending. I also imagine they'll cirvumvent the story entirely. My wager is we'll now have a "kingdom" instead of just, you know the wanderer, Agro and Mono. The princess of the kingdom has fallen ill with (insert bullshit magic plot device) and the wanderer needs to go kill a colossus because of (bullshit magic plot device) and here we go movie.

He'll also probably get an annoying comic relief sidekick.

This is bullshit I've been waiting for a movie deal for years. Otacon, call that Joss Whedon guy. Tell if he doesn't offer to direct my movie I'll drive Rex through his front door and make him direct it.

Well...it's going to be funny to see how Hollywood derps this one up.

why?

didnt the story be that he had to kill x amount of colossi to revive his girlfriend and get the biggest cock block in gaming history?

what is movie worthy about that?

Shadow of the Colossus is something I'd see more as an independant short film, not a feature-length Hollywood blockbuster. My hopes are not high.

I don't know what's wrong with you all, but I am excited as hell. Seriously, I can't wait. This will be the biggest train wreck ever and I for one will be in the front seat with a big ol bag of popcorn laughing the whole time. I keep thinking of all the ways they could mess this one up, I wonder what they will go for, maybe having the Colossi talk? Can't wait, it's gonna be the funniest movie since "The Happening"

Well, I hear Chronicle was alright. I'm not sure what kind of film Shadow of the Colossus would make though. I guess it'll probably be something vaguely related to the plot, and involving Colossi.

Wayneguard:

wintercoat:

They made a good film adaptation of The Road. This can be done. They just have to nail, I mean nail, the atmosphere. This will not be a talky, explodey movie.

No they didn't >_>

They got the atmosphere alright, but it was duller than a butter knife. Nowhere near as good as the book!

Only if they get Sylverster Stalone to the play the Wanderer. That and Uwe boll. I mean, Sylvester already speaks in an incomprehensible language...

Sounds like a plan.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked