A special game from your childhood that no one else seems to have played

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The title is self-explanatory, my fellow forum-goers; what is a game you fondly remember from your childhood that seemingly no one else has played? You can describe a specific memory or just the game itself!

For me, it's the game G-Darius, a game in the Darius series of space shooters by Taito. To most I suppose it would seem like your typical generic space shooter. But for me it was such a fun experience that I could share with another person as we uh...saved the world from um...why exactly were we fighting again?

Well, story was certainly not this game's strong point.

However, a lot of the bosses were very memorable for me, and the ability to "capture" your enemies and utilize their abilities against other enemies and bosses alike could keep the levels fresh as you figured out which enemy was best to have against others.

So how about you guys? Any games you can think of that fit the bill?

Outpost 2, man. Hard SF survival RTS. It was pretty bad in some ways, but the writing and worldbuilding were actually very good.

Xena: Warrior Princess for PS1. Loved the game despite its flaws. Could have used more Gabrielle and Lucy Lawless, though.

bubsy....

no one can see it for the work of brilliance it is

Pajama Sam 3.

The first PC game I ever played.

That game had some really nice looking environments, catchy music and was set on an island where every one and everything is food. It's set during a war between the sweets/sugars and healthy foods, complete with political parties and diplomacy.

Mine is Mischief Makers 64. The game looks pretty crappy on the box but it was filled with awesome challenges and boss fights, including different game play stle than usual.

Jumping Flash! And people say it's impossible to make a good first person platformer when that was released in the 90's and does it perfectly.

Mighty Max for the SNES.

Probably the first game that's difficulty forced me to quit before passing the first level.

Rescue Rover... really should play it again sometime

Army Men: Air Attack.

WEEEE'RREEE FREEEEEE
What an awful, awful game. But co-op with another ten year old makes everything better.

I'm a broken record when it comes to this question, but Crystalis.

That game is my early childhood.

How to get to the 8th dungeon in Zelda? Got me.
How to beat Contra? Fuck if I know.

But I can sure as hell tell you in bizarrely accurate detail where to find the Power Ring in the Oasis Cave south of Goa.

I assume no one else had played this SNES game since no one can't figure out what it was called including me.

What I remember is that I'm pretty sure it was made in Japan cos the intro scene had an anime sprite style which star the pliot and this mystic magical woman which I think she was colour green in some way.

It was top down type of shooter which you control a spaceship (sort of like R-Type) which there are several weapons pick up to choose from (one of them several green jellybean follow you arrow and shoot at the same time as you).

The first level was above the forest and I remember one of the later level was in outer base which the boss was a base but when you zoon out of it, it's actually an face.

The game over screen was the two characters in Chibi style as they set up an fire and camp for the night as their ship had crash down burning.

Gadget.

I have spent my entire life with an obsession for the 1930's because of this game. It's only a little younger than I am, and the version I played had many cutscenes in black and white.

Dun... DUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNU! Dun... DUNNUNNUNUNUNUNUNUUNUNUUNUN!

Dun... DAHNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNNUNUN. Dun... DAHUNUNNUNUNUNUNUNUNNUNUNUN....

Soleil on the Sega Mega Drive.

I can talk to the animals!

I still play it when I have some time to kill. I think the game is considered to be a classic, so I'm sure there's other folks who like the game, but I've never met anyone who's played it (besides my dad who showed me the game).

I used to play it two player with a friend, so I do know one other person who's played it, but other than him, I don't know anyone who seems to have even heard about it. Again, I'm sure these people exist (based on the youtube comments under the video, for example), I just haven't met one.

Alundra, it was fucking magnificent, dark and emotional storyline (seriously) fun as heck and hard and challenging puzzles (sometimes too hard) and tough bosses (some are pushovers though)

TizzytheTormentor:
Alundra, it was fucking magnificent, dark and emotional storyline (seriously) fun as heck and hard and challenging puzzles (sometimes too hard) and tough bosses (some are pushovers though)

I remember hearing humorous stories from UGPM back in the day that the game's puzzles were SO difficult the editors actually took the disc and ran it over with a vehicle.

Rocket Knight Adventures

You're a possum knight with a jetpack and a sword that shoots other swords fighting against an evil steampunk pig empire to save a magical princess. Also there are dinosaurs and a pig themed deathstar.

Genius.

piinyouri:

TizzytheTormentor:

I remember hearing humorous stories from UGPM back in the day that the game's puzzles were SO difficult the editors actually took the disc and ran it over with a vehicle.

WHA?! hey ran over a godly game like that because it was too hard?! The game is insanely difficult at times, yes but to run over it with a vehicle...blasphemy!

TizzytheTormentor:

piinyouri:

TizzytheTormentor:

WHA?! hey ran over a godly game like that because it was too hard?! The game is insanely difficult at times, yes but to run over it with a vehicle...blasphemy!

Ah, it was UGPM, these crazy fools said silly shit that wasn't true all the time.
Thinking back on it, they sort of seemed like the Primus equivalent in game mags.

Albion.

A FANTASTIC sci-fi rpg from Blue Byte. The story, setting and gameplay of this game is just mindbogglingly fantastic. When considering the depth of the game world its an utter shame there are no sequels or prequels or anything.

Wonderful game that I can play even today. Fantastic atmosphere. Beautiful sound and music. A real 10.

Tachyon: the fringe.

Great space combat game, and its on steam :D

The only game I can think of that's proper obscure is Glover, and Glover was shit.
Maybe Trace Memory? But a small number of people (about 3) have voiced that they enjoyed it in the past, so that's out.

Wait... I got it! Way back, in the distant past, Lego Bionicle released a flash based point and click adventure game on their website. It was riddled with bugs but the story was just interesting and fun enough to keep seven or eight year old me interested.
Later, they made a sequel. This time from the more common side view rather than the first person perspective of the first one. I played the hell out of both those games, but the puzzles and lore from the original will always be with me.

You know, I remember playing a JRPG, where all the protagonists get horribly killed at the end in a somewhat tragi-comic white-screen text conversation by the evil overlord you were supposed to be stopping, but I could never find out what it was in later years.

Great way to end the game, over the years it sank in how rare it was for a game to end that way.

Mine would be Toy commander for the Dreamcast or a game called Crystalis for the nes. Both great games hat few people know about.

B-movie aka. Invasion from Beyond. Sweet jesus, i don't think there is anybody else in the world who still remembers playing this:

Not the best game in the world, not by a long shot, but still fun in it's own kooky sort of way.

Flashback. (Sometimes called Quest for Identity). It was like the original 2D Prince of Persia, but with guns. In retrospect it was kind of meh, but I loved it at the time.

Also, Exile: Escape from the Pit. (The super old version with the crummy pixelated sprites.) Old-school pen and paper style fantasy RPG set in a giant underground prison colony. Also kind of shit in retrospect, but it was the first RPG I played and so I loved it.

Captcha: "We go forwards". Yes, I have indeed.

Inindo: Way of the Ninja. Your family was slaughtered by Nobunaga and you have to kill him within 50 in game years.

There was also on older one that I cannot remember the title, but it was a turn based RPG using the characters from the Bandit Kings of Ancient China game

Battle tanks for the Nintendo 64

You just control a tank and go.. blow up other tanks and buildings... I think that was it in general, the team deathmatch and different game modes made me worship this game.

Mischief Makers on N64. The entire game was based around grabbing objects and shaking them, had some really awesome boss fights.

Stuntcrab:
snip

SlaveNumber23:
snipity snip

Played both those quite a lot actually.

Battle Tanx was such glorious dumb fun. The controls were archaic, but damn it's entertainment could not be denied.

Mischief Makers was such a unique game. And very difficult later on too.

Magic & Mayhem...that shit was my bread and butter.

a top down, real time strategy game in which a young mage searches for his uncle.
had the most unique system for determining what spells you can use/monsters you can summon.

and it was HARD....something i miss in games.

For me it's Nightmare Creatures on the PS1, no one seemed to play it back then, I know that people did, but whenever I mentioned how scary it was to my friends I used to get blank stares.

Another one is Shemnue on the Dreamcast. It was such a great game, a unique game. Yet at the time I had it no one else seemed to have even heard of it.

There was a point-n-click game that my cousin had on his computer. I don't remember what it was called but it takes place in a haunted house/ Adam's Family style house inhabited by all sorts of creatures. Basically, you have until Midnight to find X keys and escape the house or else you'll be trapped there forever...I guess. It was for kids definitely but there were some creepy elements like how you could help Igor in the kitchen. The scariest part I remember though was when you get to the attic. There's a creepy rocking horse that looks friendly at first and clicking it makes it rock. When you try to leave the attic though, the lights dim and it blocks the exit, turning into a fucking vampire-fanged demon horse.

It wasn't that great a game but it reminds me of a time when I was closer with Dad's side of the family.

Rygar: Legendary Warrior (arcade)
Paradroid 90 (Amiga)
Cannonfodder 1+2 (Amiga)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked