Diablo 3's auction house is a factor in item drop rates.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149013410

"The auction house obviously provides an incredible service to allow for very easy trades between characters, and essentially blows out the wide range of items you could have available to you at any one time. So, in fact, the AH has to be a factor in how we drop items. On one hand you have a huge benefit because you can buy and sell items very easily, as opposed to having to post up WTS threads in the old USEast trading forums, but on the other end it does impact the item pool economy with the inherent ease at which you can trade items. If the AH existed but wasn't a factor at all into how items dropped/rolled, the economy would be completely tanked within a matter of weeks."

I wonder if there's anything stopping Blizzard from lowering a drop rate to zero, waiting for that particular item to increase in demand, then selling it themselves under the disguise of a normal player for 100% profit when the RMAH hits. This works with the gold auction house as well because it is possible to buy and sell gold with real money.

I wonder what Diablo 3 would've been like if the effort went into making an infinite money generator went into more game improvements.

I remember a very very long time ago, when I was still in school and MMORPG was just a word for something I could only dream about was like.

Hearing about the auction house in World of Warcraft I thought "Oh WOW! That's so cool! That must be a game for older more mature people."

How times have changed.

Also this is a really backhanded but not at all unexpected move from Blizz.
It's like they spent 12 years not trying to make the best game possible, but how to make a game that would make them the most money possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8CBbeSAjVo

"Players found ways around this artificial difficulty by using spells such as Smokescreen and Diamond Skin, but Blizzard has since nerfed these skills into the ground making the loot grind an absolute necessity."

First the always-online requirement, then the auction house affects item drop rates, and now nerfing skills that mitigated the need for a visit to the auction house. All roads in Diablo 3 lead to the auction house. I wouldn't be surprised if there were nerfs and buffs to popular items to encourage equipment changing and more trips to the auction house, or adding PvP but making the auction house the only effective way to stay competitive.

Jdb:

"Players found ways around this artificial difficulty by using spells such as Smokescreen and Diamond Skin, but Blizzard has since nerfed these skills into the ground making the loot grind an absolute necessity."

First the always-online requirement, then the auction house affects item drop rates, and now nerfing skills that mitigated the need for a visit to the auction house. All roads in Diablo 3 lead to the auction house. I wouldn't be surprised if there were nerfs and buffs to popular items to encourage equipment changing and more trips to the auction house, or adding PvP but making the auction house the only effective way to stay competitive.

Ouch. Goddamn.

This all looks very very bad when you remember that Blizz now gets a percentage of the profits.

This is getting really ugly.

piinyouri:

Jdb:

Ouch. Goddamn.

This all looks very very bad when you remember that Blizz now gets a percentage of the profits.

This is getting really ugly.

Currently the gold auction house doesn't even work. People are reporting losing hundreds of thousands of gold on the AH failing to deliever items and profits. Its all over the diablo forums. I think i'll skip the pay to *win* of diablo 3. The most positive remarks I hear are from people who flat out ignore the AH, gimping themselves for the sake of giving the grind meaning.

Glad someone else bought the game for me. . . never saw the appeal in the game, and stuff like this just turns me away from playing.

The absolute brazen wrought that is D3 is disgusting.. .

So much for all the idiots claiming that the AH wouldn't be an issue because it's completely optional...

So, I think the only people to champion D3 now are those with brain damage... Or blizz/activision fanbois

don't forget that they totally need to be online all the time BECAUSE of the auction house

*sigh* at least in this instance "voting with my wallet" is easy

Of course it is! Why would they waste opportunties to encourage people to give them that sweet 30-100% of the profits

I knew something like this would happen. Always-on + Auction house = Disaster. It is unacceptable. I can't believe more than 6 million PC gamers were dumb enough to buy this game.

Adam Jensen:
I knew something like this would happen. Always-on + Auction house = Disaster. It is unacceptable. I can't believe more than 6 million PC gamers were dumb enough to buy this game.

I know! It's as if people are actually ENJOYING PLAYING THE GAME. It's insane!

Buretsu:

Adam Jensen:

Enjoying or not, it's nearly criminal the way the consumers are being treated in this. The only reason why you don't have a problem with it is because you're also having fun.

My uncle visited me and we talked a little about hearing all of the crap D3 has gone through, including its launch and afterwords. He said to me, "You must've laughed when you heard about that."

Now, I'm laughing so hard, I can compete with Bender.

Totally cash cowing the shit out of every game of theirs that they can now. At least I can wait for September 18th!

Signa:

Buretsu:

Adam Jensen:

Enjoying or not, it's nearly criminal the way the consumers are being treated in this. The only reason why you don't have a problem with it is because you're also having fun.

Yes, the criminal part is when the game FORCES you to use the Auction House. Oh, wait.

As for Always Online, I do think that not having an option to create a character solely for offline single player, that cannot ever be brought into Online, seems like a bad choice to make.

Yeah, this is what I've been saying right off the bat. The loot game is designed for the auction house and not the other way around. In short, it sucks for the player.

As a little side note, another way the loot game sucks in is the fact that there are no interesting bonuses to be gained from items. Ever. 3% crit chance is as exciting as it's ever going to get, and that fucking sucks balls for a loot oriented game.

Fun fact: Diablo was originally designed as a graphical roguelike a la Dredmor. Now it seems to be taking more cues from Farmville. I mean, you can't blame blizz for liking money, but still...

And that ladies and gentlemen is why Diablo 3 is online only :)

See if the game was playable offline people could cheat and get all the high end items. Not that they'd be able to use them in multiplayer but they'd have less incentive to use the auction house. Furthermore, if they were playing single player and got a bunch of good items they'd also have less reason to use the auction house. I'm guessing a majority of the playerbase is in it only for the single player mode, so Blizzard had to find a way to get those players to use the AH.
So not only do they prevent you from using cheats in single player mode, they also control exactly what items you get when playing normally. It's foolproof!

Buretsu:
Yes, the criminal part is when the game FORCES you to use the Auction House. Oh, wait.

I think you missed the point of this thread, towards the game being designed from the ground up to get people to use their Auction House (likely mostly the Real Money one, but that has been "delayed indefinitely" for now because of all the Hacks and problems: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/05/blizzard-delays-diablo-iii-real-money-auctions-indefinitely/ )

As to the OP, well D'UH!

The entire game is obviously catering to item grind, that's likely the main reason why they removed any stats and skills, that could offer people the choice to create different builds towards uniformity, and that's likely the main choice of having a "Inferno" difficulty, where one has to farm money or grind for equipment before being able to properly play it.
They're trying to replicate the MMO model of people grinding equipment over and over to be able to continue playing at high levels, just this time around one is supposed to pay actual money for it...

Buretsu:

Signa:

Buretsu:

As for Always Online, I do think that not having an option to create a character solely for offline single player, that cannot ever be brought into Online, seems like a bad choice to make.

Auction House IS optinal , but because of it Blizzard lowered the item drop rate much much lower to try and make some people to use the AH.

Can't we just ignore this flaming ball of shit Diablo 3 to death and go back to talking about games that aren't gigantic failures?

Jingle Fett:
And that ladies and gentlemen is why Diablo 3 is online only :)

See if the game was playable offline people could cheat and get all the high end items. Not that they'd be able to use them in multiplayer but they'd have less incentive to use the auction house. Furthermore, if they were playing single player and got a bunch of good items they'd also have less reason to use the auction house. I'm guessing a majority of the playerbase is in it only for the single player mode, so Blizzard had to find a way to get those players to use the AH.
So not only do they prevent you from using cheats in single player mode, they also control exactly what items you get when playing normally. It's foolproof!

Yup. It's all a nefarious scheme to allow people to get rid of the junk that they'll never use but that someone might be able to, and does the dastardly deed of discouraging people from buying hacked items for real money since they can just use the official auction house with in-game currency and considerably less chance of being ripped off.

TheDutch3Z:

Buretsu:

Signa:

Auction House IS optinal , but because of it Blizzard lowered the item drop rate much much lower to try and make some people to use the AH.

So don't use the AH. Or is that too simple a concept?

The issue is that there is no way for items to disappear eg bind-on-equip thus the market will always become saturated very quickly and deflation will occur.

Buretsu:

If you want to be effective in anything resembling late game, the AH is your only option. The issue is only exacerbated by the fact that the player has no influence on the items that drop, and that the drops themselves are random to a stupid extent, as I've pointed out in my original post with the picture.

This isn't a "nefarious" scheme, but it is a scheme nonetheless. This didn't happen by fucking chance, open your bloody eyes. Do you think Blizzard went "oopsie" when people feel like the AH is the only way to get good loot?

Buretsu:

The reason why this thread exists is that regardless of whether you P2W or not, Blizzard designed the game around the P2W system such that it makes your experience slightly shittier in a variety of ways.

Pah, the individual player will never notice a difference.

What, you seriously think it will make any noticable impact for a single person? There are over six million people playing the game. Stevie Wonder can see that any impact on drop rates the AH has will be completely and utterly unnoticable for the individual, because it will naturally be balanced for the fact that there are six million other people to whom the change will be applied.

But then, people are shit at understanding big numbers, which is why they go apeshit over this.

Let's say an item has a 0.00001% drop chance, and we end up with 1000 of them on the AH. So, the system halves the drop rate, so we end up with only 500 later on. You, as a player, will never notice that the drop rate has changed from 0.00001% to 0.000005%. It will have no impact on you whatsoever. The only impact it will have is if one looks at the whole group of six million players.

Hammeroj:
Yeah, this is what I've been saying right off the bat. The loot game is designed for the auction house and not the other way around. In short, it sucks for the player.

As a little side note, another way the loot game sucks in is the fact that there are no interesting bonuses to be gained from items. Ever. 3% crit chance is as exciting as it's ever going to get, and that fucking sucks balls for a loot oriented game.

I would like to point out that item on the right is for level 54 only so you can't equip it if you're under level.

No I'm not defending the game as I recently have been reading up on it. Overall it seen to play Inferno mode properly you MUST use the auction house (you got to have your classes stats high to their prefer stats in order to survive) which while yes I did bought the game but I refuse to use the AH at all. Needless to say I won't be playing Inferno mode once I had unlocked it.

Elcarsh:

Let's say an item has a 0.00001% drop chance, and we end up with 1000 of them on the AH. So, the system halves the drop rate, so we end up with only 500 later on. You, as a player, will never notice that the drop rate has changed from 0.00001% to 0.000005%. It will have no impact on you whatsoever. The only impact it will have is if one looks at the whole group of six million players.

The take-away from this is that designing around the P2W system was a terrible idea from the start,* not that it would be less terrible if the P2W-oriented gameplay was designed slightly differently.

*Unless the goal was to create a demon-themed Farmville clone.

Scarim Coral:

Hammeroj:

I would like to point out that item on the right is for level 54 only so you can't equip it if you're under level.

That was pretty much the point of me making that picture. The potency, never mind the actual stats (there's a ton of useless ones), of the items, is random way beyond any sort of reason.

Well, the auction house prices were utterly ridicilous. Combining 3 gems into a larger one cost 10 times as much as simply buying the bigger one from auction house. Same goes for blacksmithing, you have to pay twice as much to get armor with random stats instead of just buying the perfect item from AH.
I can see the necessity, but still it hurts.

Buretsu:

Signa:

Buretsu:

It's nice how you glossed over that word "nearly" just as easily as you gloss over everyone's concerns in the thread.

Taking a wild stab I'd say most of the people complaining in this thread a. haven't played the game or b. have played the game very little. It's incredibly obvious. I don't why people are going ape shit over this. The auction house is beneficial for the players, it creates a massive marketplace where people can trade items easily. The drop rates have to be effected by it otherwise the economy will go to shit. The prices atm in the auction house are a bit over the place but that is normal for anything first hitting the market. Give it some time and the prices will end up stabilising.

As a player you don't feel like your being pushed towards the auction house. Your loot keeps getting better and better allowing you to keep up with the difficulty curve while still allowing the game to have a degree of difficulty. Sure you can go to the auction house and buy some stuff which will make you clear the area easily but really what is the point of that. It's effectively the same thing as activating god mode in skyrim. Technically your not cheating but it makes the game incredibly easy and sucks all the fun out of it.

Tldr, These modifications are necessary, the auction house is overall beneficial and don't trash something you've never/barely played.

You guys know there is a none pay auction house right, the pay auction house isn't even up yet :/

They have also made these changes to try and counteract gold selling which has led to a sweatshop culture in china.

I don't think it's that bad an idea really.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked