Games that fooled you

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

What are some games that fooled you with hype and made you buy them only to regret it later?

Reasons could range from (but not limited to):
-Great trailer
-Sequel, expect bugs to be fixed that marred prior entries
-Referrals from friends
-Referrals from message boards

BRINK, the game was nothing like the trailers. For one, the gameplay in the trailers didn't have bugs and had good AI...

Trine 2, it looks gorgeous but I just don't find it very fun.

Brink.

It hyped up its character customisation, it hyped up its movement mechanics.

What we ended up with was a terrible, terrible, TF2 clone.

Mech Assault 2
To this day I have no idea why I bought it in the first place, but I took it to Game-X-Change the very next day.

Brink and Dead Island by far. Both games looked great, both were gigantic letdowns.

I don't think any game has ever fooled me into buying it. I'm overly cautious about my money and unless I know for a fact that I will play the shit out of it (FIFA or Call of Duty and that's about it), I will wait for it to drop in price, which gives me plenty of time to research it.

The few games that I saw had bad reviews but got me interested enough are Redboxed (BRIIIIINK!!!! I will be the third person out of four responses to curse that game!). Or I suppose there are also games that got rave reviews but seemed outside what I'd like, so again, Redboxed (Red Dead Revolver; I understand why it's good but I did not enjoy it)

I'm trying really hard to think of one, I swear!!! All the games that I bought that I didn't like were really cheap (Rage: $5 Dead Space: $10) so I can only feel minimal amount of foolishness for the buys.

EDIT: Vault101 has inspired me, although it's not quite a fool. I purchased Skyrim at $60 and just got bored with it. I was confident that this would happen as it did with Oblivion and got 40-some hours out of the deal but this is probably the closest I'm getting to a game that fooled me...

Spartan: Total Warrior.

I remember when I was younger, and played the demo, which included the first level I think. I thought the whole game was going to consist of massive siege and field battles, with you controlling one soldier instead of the CA usual RTS stuff. Turns out only the first couple of levels and a very few select ones after are like that.

Dragon Age 2: I liked the game but it wasn't dragon age origins. I fell in love with dragon age: origins. I can not tell you how many hours i put into it. Then da2 comes out and i get really excited and it turns out to be mediocre. :(

Modern Warfare 3.

I actually tend to enjoy the call of duty games, even with their repetitive nature, because as bad as the games are, they're a lot of fun to play with friends. Unfortunately, it seems that IW didn't learn a single thing from the problems with MW2, and just made the sequel AWFUL. I don't think I've played a less fun multiplayer game before.

That has never happened to me. No game company has ever HAD to fool me. If they're putting the effort into actually advertising it, they put effort into the game as well.

Once again, I'm about to win the thread:

Too Human

Mortal Kombat Armageddon. I learned my lesson after that swift chiclet rattling slap to the face. Not to sound dramatic but after that I am pretty sure the true gamer in me died. I just haven't felt the itch, the fire burning in me since.

If a friend refers you to a game, then they're the ones that fooled you. Not the game.

Diablo 3. I thought I was going to be buying a fun dungeon crawler. Little did I know that I would actually be paying to participate in a marketing racket designed to farm currency for the developers.

Skyrim...

I should have known

Brutal Legend. Throughout the trailers, gameplay videos and so on I saw for this game (and even playing the first few missions of it) made it feel like this was going to be a God of War-esque action adventure game in a unique world with interesting characters.

Then before I knew it I was guiding headbangers, trying to keep my resources of fans up and defending towers in this close up RTS environment.

Needless to say, I was not happy...

Aliens Vs. Predator.

I loved the whole concept and how it would work.....but the Multiplayer turned from greatness into:

It turned into Predators win when they get the Disk weapon. Also, Aliens can go fuck themselves and Marines are hardly given a chance. The worst part was that the Aliens were the most fun to play as in my opinion.

Executions, while cool, either took too long or had this awkward moment where you'd end up with a whole train of people instakilling each other.

I liked playing as the Alien because I wanted to scout out an enemy, destroy the lights and pick them off like a real Alien would have. Instead....I could to it maybe once, but then a predator beats me in a melee fight.

There was this REALLY cool moment in the campaign though, towards the end where you fight Aliens as they come down this bridge. The music is just right, the weapons laid out are right, the amount of Aliens is cool, even that fast moment where you have to turn on the turret if you want so much as a chance.

Vault101:
Skyrim...

I should have known

Why, what happened?

OT: I played the demo of Kingdom's of Amular and thought it would be fun.

Oh, how wrong I was.

Zhukov:

Vault101:
Skyrim...

I should have known

Why, what happened?

well I got it as a presant

but basically there were things that I kind of knew would put me off

1. granted the game looks nice from a graphical standpoint, but its still that dull "realistic fantasy" look
2. lack of interesting charachters/story <- or even if the story is there there's no motivation to follow it
3. I played for 7 hours and never touched it since..I just don't want to

Hyperdimension Neptunia. You looked so fun, dammit. And the idea is solid. Why was the execution so bad?

Karutomaru:
That has never happened to me. No game company has ever HAD to fool me. If they're putting the effort into actually advertising it, they put effort into the game as well.

Dead island?
You seem to generalize a lot.

Witcher 2 I suppose, it's not bad. Personally it's just not the paragon of WRPGs many people hold it up to be...

Then again it's that particular kind of Grimdark, the one that just seems to go "have I mentioned i'm feeling Grimdark today?" every six seconds. Have a Grimdark universe, fine. Just don't keep pushing it to ridiculous levels

Something DA2 (and 1 to an extent) got right, it's universe is Grimdark but it's sort of muted, in the background, not the main focus of the entire damn game.

Also Persona 3 FES, fuck The Answer, I don't give a fuck.

"Hey let's take out the amazing anti-grind system that works so well and replace it with shittons of grind! And let's set the difficulty to Hard and make it unchangeable!"

And Persona 3 is pretty great but the party AI, lack of a fast travel and most importantly of all a completely unlikable Main Character makes it significantly inferior compared to Persona 4. Fuck I hated that guy. You can't keep up the apathetic loner archetype all the way through a game based on friendship. Just no.

Seriously, the words "I don't care" came up far too often in the dialogue choices, disturbingly often in fact. I suppose it could be a facade of apathy put on by the MC for... Some reason. Idfk

If I can't get a reading of my character throughout the entire game it's not a good sign. So many people love the P3 MC as well... All I see is a complete womanising, dishonest asshole.

You can't get half the Social Links without forcing a harem. How can you forget to add a just friends option? Yes game thanks for reminding me, i'm going out with a different girl. So? This Social Link ain't gonna complete itself y'know!

I rented Shadowrun once, expecting a cool story mode about how magic was possible in a modern day society and how it would effect the world around them.
Got an exposition dump about how a volcano erupted and then a multiplayer mode where bots couldn't be activated if there was another player playing with you.
Learned later that the shitty game was actually made off of an old top-down roleplaying game that was supposedly much better. Made me rage.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 in recent memory...great gameplay but bare-bones content. What was a bigger slap in the face was that 9 months later they release a better version that should have came out the first time.

Zhukov:

Vault101:
Skyrim...

I should have known

Why, what happened?

OT: I played the demo of Kingdom's of Amular and thought it would be fun.

Oh, how wrong I was.

It's shallow and repetitive with no real motivation to do anything, besides doing things for the sake of it.

You're never really rewarded for your efforts, there's little point scavenging loot as you can make your own items that are 1000% better then anything the game spawns and the combat is lame. It's a 5/10 game at best IMO. I was a fan of TES too...

Hmm, I find it strange no one has mentioned Spore yet, why has no one mentioned this? Its like the King symbol for games that fooled you. "Hey, we are gonna make a life sim where you can go from single celled organism into galactic god, oh and we have all these different things you can do in the creature phase and you can drop animals on planets with no atmosphere and watch them explode. oh, you bought it? good, now we've dumbed it down to component parts and jerked all over what the potential was, have fun!"

RRRRRAAAAAAGGGGGGEEE!!

Salomega:
Hmm, I find it strange no one has mentioned Spore yet, why has no one mentioned this? Its like the King symbol for games that fooled you. "Hey, we are gonna make a life sim where you can go from single celled organism into galactic god, oh and we have all these different things you can do in the creature phase and you can drop animals on planets with no atmosphere and watch them explode. oh, you bought it? good, now we've dumbed it down to component parts and jerked all over what the potential was, have fun!"

RRRRRAAAAAAGGGGGGEEE!!

I wasn't particularly surprised by spore. I went into that game thinking it was going to be "The Sims: bug edition" and that's basically what I got.

Soopy:

Salomega:

RRRRRAAAAAAGGGGGGEEE!!

I wasn't particularly surprised by spore. I went into that game thinking it was going to be "The Sims: bug edition" and that's basically what I got.

I, and alot of others, went into it thinking it was still what had been previewed in the 05 or 06 version.(I forget what year) Something like "The sims: Universal Evolution Edition", I waited forever for that game and when I finally got it, I have never been more disappointed in my life.>.>

Homefront....

Seriously? Im playing supporting cast? They only needed me for one mission, the rest of the time Im helping out Mr. Badass McAwesome Kickass....

Vault101:
Skyrim...

I should have known

Agreed, Skyrim was not as fabulous as it was made out to be before release. Being a TES fanboy pulled the wool over my eyes.

Hmm, nope. There were some budget titles I bought in the early 2Ks based on boxart and two tiny screens but nothing since then. I got real good at looking though advertising at an early age, well forced to, really.

Brink was a huge one for me, along with Prince of Persia (2008), Alone in the Dark (whichever one is a couple years old), and Medal of Honor (latest one).

Each of those I paid full price for, and each of them remain the biggest wastes of money ever.

I've gotten more worth out of speeding tickets, because at least those were fun while it lasted.

Edit: Skyrim was fun, but it wasn't nearly as great as it was made out to be.

Diablo 3. The sad part about it was that I didn't expect anything good. I expected a half-decent timewaster for a couple of months. The loot game in Diablo 3 is just bad, and that's the part where the game fooled me. If there was one thing I would've thought Blizzard could get right, is that. But no, they got nothing.

Also Skyrim. One of the blandest RPG experiences imaginable.

If I didn't win hard enough with Too Human:

Level-5.... How did you f*ck this up.....? I'm asking solely in the name of science as I Would when presented with any physical impossibility.

Another person to say Brink here.

"Come on, the online can't be that ba- HOLY MOTHER OF CHRIST THIS IS AWFUL" probably describes my experience with that game.

...It's a shame because I personally don't think the game was outright terrible.

Street Fighter x Tekken. Soon after release everyone's talking about how a it's a pretty good fighting game. Fast forward a few months and everyone hates it. Not to mention Capcom fucking up just about everything they possibly could. I don't even play it anymore.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked