Xbox 360 Offline Co-Op Goodness?

Yes, it's a recommendations topic.

I've been looking through my collection of 360 games and find myself lacking in titles offering offline co-op play. Not looking for any specific genres but quality games with a low barrier of entry would be preferred.

Anyone have any ideas?

Borderlands
Halo (all of them)
Gears of War (all of them)
Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon (don't laugh, it's fucking AWESOME)
MW2 and 3's spec ops missions are a lot of fun in coop, though the rest of the games are pretty shit

It's really sad how newer games seem to be axing couch coop. Thank god for Borderlands 2 though.

StriderShinryu:
Anyone have any ideas?

DO I HAVE THE GAME FOR YOU MY RANDOM INTERNET...forum poster...? I don't know what term to use. :3

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game on Xbox Live Arcade.

You can pick it up for 800 Microsoft points which for some reason translates to $10. It's a side-scrolling beat-em-up based on the wonderful universe of Scott Pilgrim. I personally had tons of fun in it with my friends. :D

BUY IT NOW! or don't. It doesn't make a huge difference for me.

Say what you want about the change of style, but Splinter Cell Conviction boasts an amazing co-op feature.

All I have for you is Resident Evil 5. Might as well, since the game practically revolves around it.

AwkwardTurtle:

StriderShinryu:
Anyone have any ideas?

DO I HAVE THE GAME FOR YOU MY RANDOM INTERNET...forum poster...? I don't know what term to use. :3

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game on Xbox Live Arcade.

You can pick it up for 800 Microsoft points which for some reason translates to $10. It's a side-scrolling beat-em-up based on the wonderful universe of Scott Pilgrim. I personally had tons of fun in it with my friends. :D

BUY IT NOW! or don't. It doesn't make a huge difference for me.

Bah, I'm not that random! And it may or may not please you to know that that's one of the few titles I do have. Hehe

Thanks for the recommendation though. :)

Minecraft!!

Get it off the XBla.

Gears of war 1-3 is a perfect series

I find it a real shame that the co-op split screen is dying out and don't see it much on many titles since it used to be everywhere. There was a few games i would of loved to play co-op with my brother but the devs were too bone idle to add the split screen co-op mode and just made the co-op xbox live only.

Maybe i enjoy the extra social aspect of being able to communicate better with the person im playing with due to him/her sitting right next to me.

GethBall:
Minecraft!!

Get it off the XBla.

This.
My wife is very useful for hauling blocks around.

Left 4 Dead 1 and 2. So much fun, but so much recrimination when it all goes wrong.
Rainbow 6 Vegas. For when you're feeling HARDCORE

My friend and I are getting a lot of fun from Hunted: The Demon's Forge, co-op splitscreen multiplayer dungeon crawler

castle crashers
marvel ultimate alliance 2
rayman origins (4 player madness)
portal 2
any of the lego games tbh

EDF! EDF!

Borderlands is great fun, but split-screen it's a bit iffy (with the menu being bigger than the screen and all).

Sacred 2 is fun if you can find it too.

I've had three playthroughs of Borderlands offline co-op with my fella which was fantastic fun although I do wish that developers would realise that the ONLY WAY to co-op is locally, with several mates on your living room floor, a few boxes of pizza, some beers and a whole lot of swearing and laughing. Wow, that sounded a lot filthier than I intended. It's not a proper co-op unless you can heave your controller at someone for not picking up the slack haha!

Timesplitters is a bloody good series for co-op, I wish Crytek would reconsider!

if you are looking for a truly amazing same system co-op game with 50+ hours of gameplay, look no further than Tales of Vesperia, it is an amazing RPG and one of my favourite games ever!!!!!

Borderlands and Halo: Reach

deathninja:
EDF! EDF!

Borderlands is great fun, but split-screen it's a bit iffy (with the menu being bigger than the screen and all).

Sacred 2 is fun if you can find it too.

EDF EDF!

Seriously they need all the help they can get.

You could also try Halo, any of them.

I'm surprised nobody has mention L4D 1/2, endlessly fun especially if the person you're playing with is scared of zombies.

Splosion man/Ms Splosion man - are ideal (and cheapish) if you're both into platforming, and it starts out easy but gets kind of hard.

Rayman origins - probably the best game I've played splitscreen, apart from being just a great game generally it's even more fun split screen.

ED

Silver Patriot:
EDF EDF!

Seriously they need all the help they can get.

You could also try Halo, any of them.

EDF!

Earth Defence Force: Insect Armaggedon can be oodles of co-op goodness.

Some more suggestions would be..

Smackdown vs Raw (Though you don't necessarily have to co-op.)
Any of the Lego games.
Splinter Cell Conviction (Has been mentioned before, but you just can't go wrong with it.)
Magic: Duels of the Planeswalker (If you're into that sort of thing.)
Castle Crashers

...Oooor you can just go invest in an N64. Best co-op by far. : D

CellShaded:

EDF!

Earth Defence Force: Insect Armaggedon can be oodles of co-op goodness.

Some more suggestions would be..

Smackdown vs Raw (Though you don't necessarily have to co-op.)
Any of the Lego games.
Splinter Cell Conviction (Has been mentioned before, but you just can't go wrong with it.)
Magic: Duels of the Planeswalker (If you're into that sort of thing.)
Castle Crashers

...Oooor you can just go invest in an N64. Best co-op by far. : D

If you can track down a copy 2017 is fun too. Both are good in my opinion.

Full retail titles?

Dirty Hipsters:
Borderlands
Halo 1, 2, 3, 3.2, 3.3 & 4
Gears of War 1, 2 & 3
Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon
MW2 and 3's spec ops missions[1]

Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2
Splinter Cell games
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Black Ops
Lost Planet 1 & 2
SKATE series (local co-op but not split-screen)
Fable 2 & 3
UT3
Army of Two 1 & 2
Kane & Lynch 1 & 2
All party games
Most racing games
Most sports games
All music games
All fighting games

Arcade & indie games?
Minecraft
Trials
Beat Hazard...

So in short? there are many, many games that support co-op local play and I make sue of it all the time. It's a good break from all the games that are online MP, which is nearly all of them.

[1] EDIT: sorry dude, tidied your post up a bit fo rthis list.

Bvenged:
snip

I don't see EDF: Insect Armagedden on that list, but I know it has local Co-Op.

Silver Patriot:

Bvenged:
snip

I don't see EDF: Insect Armagedden on that list, but I know it has local Co-Op.

Yeah, there's a few titles there left out, as well as some inaccuracies like the fact that most racing and fighting games don't really have co-op play and Saints Row 2 has Co-op play but it's online only.

Besides that, I wasn't really just looking for a list of every avallable offline co-op game for the system, I was looking for the better ones. :)

Bvenged:
Full retail titles?

Dirty Hipsters:
Borderlands
Halo 1, 2, 3, 3.2, 3.3 & 4
Gears of War 1, 2 & 3
Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon
MW2 and 3's spec ops missions[1]

Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2
Splinter Cell games
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Black Ops
Lost Planet 1 & 2
SKATE series (local co-op but not split-screen)
Fable 2 & 3
UT3
Army of Two 1 & 2
Kane & Lynch 1 & 2
All party games
Most racing games
Most sports games
All music games
All fighting games

Arcade & indie games?
Minecraft
Trials
Beat Hazard...

So in short? there are many, many games that support co-op local play and I make sue of it all the time. It's a good break from all the games that are online MP, which is nearly all of them.

See, I was under the impression that the OP was looking for GOOD coop games, and while I feel quite silly for overlooking Rainbow Six Vegas and Left 4 Dead (because I only play those on PC), you can hardly put Fable 2 and 3 on that list considering their coop features are absolutely awful at best, and totally broken at worst, or the Kane and Lynch games considering they're terrible games.

[1] EDIT: sorry dude, tidied your post up a bit fo rthis list.

Dirty Hipsters:

Bvenged:
snippy snip

See, I was under the impression that the OP was looking for GOOD coop games, and while I feel quite silly for overlooking Rainbow Six Vegas and Left 4 Dead (because I only play those on PC), you can hardly put Fable 2 and 3 on that list considering their coop features are absolutely awful at best, and totally broken at worst, or the Kane and Lynch games considering they're terrible games.

Yeah it's all a matter of opinion when it comes to good games (a lot of the time - MW2 & 3 IS just crap :D), so that's why I listed as many as I could find. For instance, many many people thought Kane and Lynch was a crap game, but in my eyes its co-op saved it from the toilet and its MP was mediocre at best.

I hear you about Fable, they don't really deserve to be on the list. All the P2 can do is follow around and hit stuff while P1 get to do a tonne more. The same thing for a lot of those games, really. there are some gem of a co-op games but there are also an equal amount of tatty co-op games (usually the one's where co-op was a second-thought or nothing more than data padding).

Dirty Hipsters:
Borderlands
Halo (all of them)
Gears of War (all of them)
Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon (don't laugh, it's fucking AWESOME)
MW2 and 3's spec ops missions are a lot of fun in coop, though the rest of the games are pretty shit

It's really sad how newer games seem to be axing couch coop. Thank god for Borderlands 2 though.

Also the first earth defense force game, only game where your rocket could be out ran by an old lady.

Also *beep* YEAH BORDERLANDS 2!!!, ordered my ultimate collectors edition already, now just to wait.

Also if you have a playstation 2 get ratchet and clank gladiators or starwars battlefront 2.

I'll give my recommendation for all the Halo's (excluding wars), Rayman Origins, Portal 2, CoD Waw Mw2 Black Ops (for Zombies) and Mw3 (spec ops is the only good part of Mw3), Minecraft, and Gears of War

mikeybuthge:
My friend and I are getting a lot of fun from Hunted: The Demon's Forge, co-op splitscreen multiplayer dungeon crawler

Love this one, you'd think it's nothing special, but the awesome banter between the two characters is pure gold.
And the game is basic fun, also important.

Surprised to see a number of recommendations for Hunted. The price is certainly right so if I only pick up one such title, I'm currently leaning in that direction.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked