Skyrim vs. Risen 2

Two open-world RPGs, both are the most recent examples of the genre. Which one is better? Let's compare them.

Skyrim:
-Easy, fluid combat with not much strategy other than spamming attack. Often feels like you are slicing through butter rather than attacking something real.
-Huge snowy and mountainous world, visually beautiful but not much variety.
-Puzzles are non-existent except for the ones in the dungeons which can be summed up by "find the symbols on the walls and copy/paste".
-Quests are rarely outside the categories of "bring me this item/kill this creature/follow me", and often feel like they have nothing to do with the rest of the game.
-Characters don't have much personality and too often look the same. There are about 4 or 5 great characters due to the acting of talents such as von Sydow and Plummer, but the rest are totally forgettable.
-Structure: The game doesn't really have one besides the main quest. There are chains of quests where one leads to the other but once that's done, nothing has changed and you're back where you were before.
-XP system: Points go into skills you want to improve, with Perks attainable once you get the necessary XP. It's easy to become good at everything if you want to.

Risen 2:
-Difficult, very clunky combat, with not much strategy other than spamming attack.
-Smaller world than Skyrim: tropical islands which look slightly different from each other.
-Quests are much more integrated into the world than Skyrim: main quest is everything, and side-quests are done to get more money/XP to make the main quest easier. The way you have developed your character also changes the quests significantly. It's not just a matter of killing a monster with weapons or magic.
-Characters have more personality than Skyrim, which is odd for a German game. But suffers same problem as Skyrim - too many of them look the same. However, it helps enormously that your character has a personality and a voice - this might be a negative for people who like to play as themselves rather than someone else.
-The game has much more structure than Skyrim: Accomplishing things changes stuff in the world. You feel like you're making an impact.
-XP system: Same as Skyrim but much more limited. If you want to be really good at swords you can't specialize too much in magic, and so on.

I'd say Risen 2 wins, but not by much. I'm no Risen fanboy but I doubt many people could argue that it isn't a better game, unless you put combat at the top of your shopping list when you're looking for games, which I don't. I liked Skyrim but it feels like a much more casual game experience. In an open-world RPG I look for a beautiful, immersive world, great and memorable characters and quests which are satisfying and make you feel like you have achieved something worthwhile. Skyrim makes you feel like you're a blank face with a list of various "attributes", while Risen 2 you are a character of central importance in the game world whose goal isn't always to run around completing a shopping list of quests. And finally everyone knows pirates>vikings.

And the point of this thread is what exactly?

Anyway, counter arguments:

In Risen 2 you play a pirate but you don't do piraty things. Hell, your character can't even swim, and there aren't any sections that take place at sea, just islands. You might say that in Skyrim you don't feel like a real character but at least in Skyrim when the game tells you that you're the dragonborn and you actually ARE the dragonborn, not just some guy who likes to dress up like a viking every now and again.

Also, in Risen 2 while the story might seem like it's more central to the game than it is in Skyrim, you have to also note that the story of Risen 2 isn't very good, so the fact that it's connected to the world doesn't give it any points over Skyrim, whose story also isn't very good.

So yeah, Risen has less to explore, worse combat, and is overall more restrictive in nature. Not exactly sure how it wins...

Risen does however get points for allowing you to have a monkey (yay), but the monkey can be killed by NPCs making for rather tragic gameplay (boo).

I thought Risen 2 was about as entertaining as inserting needles underneath my fingernails but each to their own.

Risen wins what, the cheap shit reward? Alright I'll give you that, but even in that category they have many contenders to beat.

Must u ask
Havnt play risen2 mostly because i have spent the last few months playing Skyrim.
Also how many memes came out of Risen2
For rating games on how many memes a game or whatever form of media creates shows how the games feels and what people like it

Risen 2 is probably the better game, but Skyrim is more fun. If that makes sense.

Maybe that makes Skyrim the better game. I don't fucking know. All I know is that Skyrim's balancing and combat is even worse than Risen 2's, which is saying something, but Skyrim redeems itself by being a great hiking simulator.

There is only one thing I care about comparing in these two games.

Risen2
Shitty day 1 DLC practices....

Skyrim
No shitty DLC practices as of yet and Bethesdas record and the fact DLC hasn't yet come out suggest that it won't be terrible DLC...

I'd say Skyrim wins. This is seriously it for me, the Day 1 DLC killed any interest I had in the game.

Dirty Hipsters:
And the point of this thread is what exactly?

Anyway, counter arguments:

In Risen 2 you play a pirate but you don't do piraty things. Hell, your character can't even swim, and there aren't any sections that take place at sea, just islands. You might say that in Skyrim you don't feel like a real character but at least in Skyrim when the game tells you that you're the dragonborn and you actually ARE the dragonborn, not just some guy who likes to dress up like a viking every now and again.

Also, in Risen 2 while the story might seem like it's more central to the game than it is in Skyrim, you have to also note that the story of Risen 2 isn't very good, so the fact that it's connected to the world doesn't give it any points over Skyrim, whose story also isn't very good.

So yeah, Risen has less to explore, worse combat, and is overall more restrictive in nature. Not exactly sure how it wins...

Risen does however get points for allowing you to have a monkey (yay), but the monkey can be killed by NPCs making for rather tragic gameplay (boo).

Risen 2's story is great. It's also the fact that the map and whole structure of the game seems well thought out, rather than just a sprawling mess with quests dotted all over the place. Its design seems much more...well, human. The quests in Skyrim could have been computer generated, it has the same feel as a roguelike.

Also while the aim of Risen 2 seems to be to "do piratey stuff", I wouldn't have liked to be able to swim or fire cannons at enemy ships. That would have seemed like the kind of pointless filler that Skyrim featured (Yay, I can get married and buy a house on my computer!)

The first Risen was great, I really, really enjoyed it... The second, not so much.

And hell... It's Skyrim.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked