About to get a ps3, needs advice

Well, hello there, fellow escapists.
I am currently a pc gamer and a student waiting to get the results of his exams. The thing is, if I pass, my dad said I'd get a ps3, which I 'd select myself (which means I'm gonna try and get my hands on a second-hand, ps2 retrocompatible one, which I think I've found).
Now, all I need to do is to know what games are worth piking up, and I thought there was no better place to ask than here.
So far, I've pretty much been living under a rock as far as console releases go, as I knew I wouldn't be able to play them.
After doing some reasearch, I've already spotted : Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Outland and Journey (yup, those ones even shone through the rock I've lived under). Also, MAYBE a Dynasty/Samurai/Orochi Warriors game.
I'm looking for console-exclusive games (since I have a good pc), and have little interest in shooters (as I think that mouse>pad for these kind of games), and sports games (as I have no interest in sports in general ^^). Other than that, I'm open to suggestions.
So, what are your thoughts ?

Suennodil:

After doing some reasearch, I've already spotted : Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Outland and Journey

So the majority of the games you want to get are for the PS2?

Might I advise you save your money and get a PS2?

Infamous

Uncharted series is cool if you get past the "so cliche it hurts" parts..... uncharted 2 is better

Demon's Souls if you like your RPGs to be hard and rage inducing.

Littlebigplanet is awesome and a lot of fun, especially playing levels that other people made.

Vanquish.

Yes, while it is a third person shooter, I think because of it's movement style is plays much better with a controller than it does with a mouse and keyboard.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Games are for fun, what is the appeal of a game that does the opposite?

Well, I'm in a similar position to the OP; primarily PC gamer that just got a PS3. Currently, the only games I have are Demon's Souls and Brutal Legend.

I've been having a lot of fun with Demon's Souls (and a lot of frustration, I might add). The atmosphere is amazing, the combat is perhaps the best I have seen in any RPG, and it is so refreshing to play a game that doesn't do any handholding (although it's not so obtuse that you can't figure out things on your own).

I haven't gotten a chance to play Brutal Legend because of the stupid limitation of one save game per storage device, but I have gotten a chance to watch my brother play it for a fair bit. From what I've seen, it's an awesome game if you're in to metal, especially of the more traditional variety.

Also, it might be cheaper to just get a used newer PS3 and a PS2 than buying an older, PS2-games compatible PS3.

Matthew94:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Having fun while playing something that's a challenge?

For me, that's part of the fun of a game. I mean, I don't have too much fun if something is too easy, but if it's challenging then I find fun in it.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Matthew94:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

For me, that's part of the fun of a game. I mean, I don't have too much fun if something is too easy, but if it's challenging then I find fun in it.

that is all well and good, but what fun is there when the game induces a state of rage like the person you quoted?

There are several great titles beyond what I've personally listed, and every title that I have listed I would wholeheartedly recommend playing.

Well, it depends on what kind of games you like. Me, I love my PS3 and I have a variety of PS3 exclusive games I enjoy a lot, such as:

-God of War
-Modnation Racers
-Killzone
-Metal Gear Solid
-Jak and Daxter
-Ratchet and Clank
-Devil May Cry
-White Knight Chronicles
-Journey
-InFamous
-Uncharted (Kinda)

Those are the ones I have. Of course there are more games out there, but those are good PS3 exclusives. I gotta say Journey is really good. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it's really short. You can probably finish it in 2 hours. But you can replay it, I guess. For the same price, you can get Gotham City Impostors, which is getting really good as of lately.

As far as your PS3 being backwards compatible, it's not as awesome as you might think. I bought a 60GB Backwards compatible (BC) PS3 about 2 years ago. Because there are so many good games coming out for the PS3 so often, I rarely play my PS2 games. Not only that but there are games the PS3 won't read. And then there's the memory. Even if you get a 80GB, the one with the biggest memory that's still BC, you'll probably run out of memory soon, especially if you're thinking on playing both PS2 and PS3 games. That can be easily solved by buying a bigger HD for your PS3; any laptop HD will do (Personally, I replaced my 60GB for a 250GB). But then...just get a slim PS3! Chances are unless that BC PS3 you're getting is in great condition, it will start to overheat sooner or later. My PS3 overheats despite the fact that I clean it very often and I keep it in open places. It's just old now, I guess. It hasn't failed me or anything but I constantly fear for its life.

Those are my two cents.

Ryotknife:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Matthew94:

that is all well and good, but what fun is there when the game induces a state of rage like the person you quoted?

You mean me then.

Because the game is hard and unforgiving where if you make a mistake or rush the area the game will capitalize on it. So to me that's a challenge to figure out how to get to point A to point B without dying so much, and I've died a lot in that game. That's where the rage comes in, you die for the like 6th time and you haven't made much progress, so you quit and come back later to try again.

To me that's where the fun is, and that kind of game isn't for everyone. So that's why I said what I said.

No love for Valkyria Chronicles yet. For shame!

Seriously though, OP, get it.

I'd highly reccommend picking up the MGS HD collection, and MGS4

Dark Souls:
Demon's Souls is NICE, but Dark Souls is a better game all around.

ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection:
Seriously, do I have to explain why?

Journey (PSN):
It's a HELL of an experience.

Catherine:
Atlus puzzle game with a little VN tossed in? HELL YEAH!

Mirror's Edge:
First-Person Platformer, first I've played since the PS1 days.

Vanquish:
Sci-Fi 3rd Person shooter with some 'Zone of the Enders' style(?) graphics.

Disgaea 4 (skip 3, it's not all that great):
If you're into SRPG this is probably the BEST the genera currently has to offer.

3D Dot Game Heroes:
Think 'Zelda 1', but with giant sized pixels. It's magical.

BlazBlu (Whatever the latest one is):
Spiritual Successor'to excellent Guilty Gear series.

Brutal Legend:
RTS/3rd Person action/adventure game that's pretty solid all around and has one of the BEST OSTs EVER.

Blur:
It's like Mario Kart for 'grown-ups'.

Earth Defense Force: IA:
It's a cheese 'lets play a 50s/60s Sci-Fi movie and blow lots of crap up' kind of a game.

Folklore:
3rd person action/adventure game set in a fantasy setting, though it feels a bit 'liner'.

God Of War Collection(s):
There's two of them so, yeah, some fun times if you missed out on the PS2 or PSP.

God of War 3:
Short, but great, and the graphics are STILL pretty damn good.

Heavy Rain:
What if QTE was pretty much the WHOLE game? It's a very...unique...experience.

Killzone 3:
Better than COD as far as I'm concerned.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat:
It's a GOOD MK game, like back in the 'old days'.

Katamari Forever:
It's Katamari. You rolls stuff up until you get consume whole cities.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3:
Really, do I have to explain?

Valkyria Chronicles:
JRPG in a sort of 'world war 1/2' setting with some great tactical combat and cell shaded graphics that hold up to this day.

WarHammer 40k: Space Marine:
Pretty good 3rd person action/shooter.

Yakuza 4:
Pretty good 3rd person action game and VERY Japanese, some folks say Dead Souls and/or Y3 are better, but I enjoyed Y4.

Rayman Origins:
It's got amazing graphics, mostly traditional side scrolling platforming, and it's just really damn fun!

iv been a sony fanboy since PS1, i would say start with the HD collections cus they are all just fantastic games from yesteryear, if u like story driven games i would go with Heavy Rain or L.A Noire, for RPGs i would recommend anything published by Atlas. On the shooter side i would go with the resistance series. for PSN games its hands down anything made from thatgamecompany.

Suennodil:
Well, hello there, fellow escapists.
I am currently a pc gamer and a student waiting to get the results of his exams. The thing is, if I pass, my dad said I'd get a ps3, which I 'd select myself (which means I'm gonna try and get my hands on a second-hand, ps2 retrocompatible one, which I think I've found).
Now, all I need to do is to know what games are worth piking up, and I thought there was no better place to ask than here.
So far, I've pretty much been living under a rock as far as console releases go, as I knew I wouldn't be able to play them.
After doing some reasearch, I've already spotted : Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Outland and Journey (yup, those ones even shone through the rock I've lived under). Also, MAYBE a Dynasty/Samurai/Orochi Warriors game.
I'm looking for console-exclusive games (since I have a good pc), and have little interest in shooters (as I think that mouse>pad for these kind of games), and sports games (as I have no interest in sports in general ^^). Other than that, I'm open to suggestions.
So, what are your thoughts ?

Pick your online ID carefully cause you'll be stuck with it. Still a very dependable system though.

A backwards compatible PS3 might be a bit pricey, but the Team Ico games and Okami are great (I would reccomend the PS3 version of Ico if you live in NA, since the NA release on PS2 was missing a lot of stuff).

Ratchet and Clank is required material if you're getting a PS3. One of the last great AAA 3D platformers, plus it's got some sweet gunplay. They're pretty cheap these days new or used, and you'll get more than your money's worth. I'm guessing you haven't played the originals, though they're coming in an HD collection in the fall for NA and in 2 weeks for Europe. You don't really NEED to play them for the sake of story, but that's nothing a trip to Wikipedia can't fix (most PS2 Ratchet games are episodic in nature, and the multiplayer from the third one is coming to PSN). The PS3 games are Tools Of Destruction, Quest For Booty (a downloadable one about $15 since it's only a few hours long), and A Crack In Time. All 4 One I wouldn't reccomend unless you have buddies (it can be pretty boring alone). There was another recently announced one, but we don't know too much about it.

I don't know how into the collections you are, but you can get the Sly and Jak and Daxter trilogies on PS2 or PS3. In the PS2 era, Sony's "big three" were Sly, Jak, and Ratchet as a triple team of high quality 3D platformers. If you're interested in platformers, Sly 4 is also coming out this fall. Might be good, never know. I wouldn't even think of trying it until you play the originls first though (whether on PS2 or PS3)

There are FPS on the PS3 i really consider being great and once you`ve gotten into the controls they`re just fun. Resistance 2-3 (haven`t played the first) and Killzone 2-3 shouldn`t be missed.
I even got my girlfriend into playing those titles with me and she was never into gaming at all.
Mind that the switch from keyboard/mouse to gamepad can be frustrating at first but it`s worth it, if you have a slight interest in FPS at all.

As someone who primarily plays on 360 and only has a PS3 for PS3 exclusives, I'd recommend the Uncharted trilogy for sure. I also liked Heavy Rain but I don't know if I can recommend it because opinions are pretty divided on that one.

I haven't yet picked up the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus pack but I mean to - I just have other stuff to play right now.

of the PS3 games I own, the ones I find myself replaying because they were highly enjoyable are:

inFamous 2. inFamous 1 is also a good game, but inFamous 2 blows it out of the water with its awesomeness. One of my favorite games, with an interesting plot, cool characters, and amazing combat and superpowers.

Assassins Creed 2: Fantastic game, excellent protagonist. Probably the best of the Assassin's creed series.

Batman: Arkham City. Amazing combat, cool gadgets, probably my favorite "open environment" game to date.

Uncharted Series: The platforming and combat are fun, the protagonist can be a bit obnoxious. Also usually features a jarring shift from normal to supernatural threats in each game.

As for some of the other recommendations... if possible I suggest you play dark souls/demons souls before buying it. If you're the type to enjoy it, then get it, but it is definitely NOT for everyone.

There are plenty of PS3 games to recommend.
Infamous 1 and 2
Uncharted series
Resistance series
Sly Cooper HD
Heavy Rain
Little Big Planet

I have not played many of the other HD collections but if they are like Sly Cooper's HD collection then I would recommend them as well.

Wow !
Thanks everyone for the feedback ! Now, I'm off to rob a bank, in order to afford all those wonderful recommandations ! ^^
Seriously thought, I'm immensly grateful for the help, as this is my first console ever !

I just wondered, for the long series, such as Metal Gear Solid and Devil May Cry, do you recommand that I play ALL of them, or are some of them forgettable/non cannon/skippable ?
Also, I'm considering Bayonetta and Valkyrie Chronicles (sorry about God of War, know it's good, but the gore in that game makes me want to puke).
Also, what ARE the Disagea games ? I've once played an emulated version of a weird "strategy/shooter" game called... La Pucelle I think, which I believe was smehow related to this series, but I don't know much more.
I'm interested in InFamous.
I don't know much about Heavy Rain, but an uncle of mine once told me it's just all the hollywood-movies cliches in one game. Would anyone care to ellaborate on that ? I don't think I can enjoy a story-based gam where the whole plot is obvious from the start.
Also, what is the "Atelier" series about ? My understanding is it's a JRPG of some kind ? Is it important to play the game in chronological order (as opposed to the Final Fantasy approach of "f it, new world for every game !") ?
Also, I live, in Europe (France to be precise). Is there any kind of DVD localisation bullshit I should be aware of ? What's most important to me is whether or not I can play my games in the original language, as french dubbing has a tendancy of sucking balls in unspeakable ways.

Once again, thanks everyone for your patience !

Suennodil:

get my hands on a second-hand, ps2 retrocompatible one

do your research on ylod and reconsider. since researching ylod is a pretty gigantic waste of time, I'd suggest you just pick up a slim. Or if you want that compatibility so bad, look up what extra stuff you're gonna have to get done to make sure your ylod time bomb remains ylod free for as long as possible.

Suennodil:

Also, what ARE the Disagea games ? I've once played an emulated version of a weird "strategy/shooter" game called... La Pucelle I think, which I believe was smehow related to this series, but I don't know much more.

It's a SPRG, think Final Fantasy Tactics.

Basically you have turns, on a grid, where you move your characters and use various spells, attacks, and abilities to win.

It's a bit of a 'grindfest', but that's part of the genera.
It's great being able to level up your weapon by fighting enimes within it...

try and convince him to get you an xbox 360 ... Microsoft are currently taking over the gaming inderstry and it would be a shame for you to miss out.

Matthew94:

Suennodil:

After doing some reasearch, I've already spotted : Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Outland and Journey

So the majority of the games you want to get are for the PS2?

Might I advise you save your money and get a PS2?

Yeah, I concur. Why wouldn't you do that if you want to play the good classics?

There's fuck all else reason to get a PS3 unless you want a brickable blu-ray player.

Vitale:
try and convince him to get you an xbox 360 ... Microsoft are currently taking over the gaming inderstry and it would be a shame for you to miss out.

This as well. Count up the prices and see if you can get both. You'll be set for a while.

If you want to get some PS3 games I definitely suggest Uncharted 3, God of War 3, inFamous 1 and 2. LittleBigPlanet is also a good series to pick up.

if you're going to get a PS3, why start with the HD remasters? might as well play games made for the system. (not to say that you shouldn't play them eventually though)

if you want to see the graphical power of the PS3, look to:
Final Fantasy XIII (some people don't like the story or slow build up, but its super pretty the whole time)
God of War III
Mortal Kombat (the new one) - best MK since the old days, and maybe even better.

i hear Metal Gear Solid 4 is too, but haven't gotten to play my copy yet.

as a PC gamer, the PS3 will probably win over an xbox in terms of graphics and exclusives in most cases, i'd suggest answering the OP's question instead of trying to be a fanboy :P.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Uh, Demon's Souls isn't "rage inducing" since every trap is fair; if you advance smartly and observe your surroundings, you will never fall for traps or ambushes.

Dark Souls is the one that's BS. And I mean "cheap death generator" level.

Example:

In Demon's Souls, there's a rolling ball trap at the top of some stairs. The stairs open up to the upper section of a castle rampart, so you see daylight. If you advance the stairs from the side (which is the way the room is designed) and rotate the camera to look up the stairs, you will very clearly see it. You can begin climing the stairs, see when it starts to roll, and just casually step off the side to avoid it.

In Dark Souls, there's also a rolling ball trap in a staircase. Except the ball is dark in a pitch black staircase and it's literally impossible to see; you WILL get hit if you don't know it's there. Even if you DO know it's there, you have no way of knowing when it starts to roll, and there's a large drop off to the side where you'll take fall damage if you manage to dodge the ball.

Demon's Souls is a great game. The only people who think it's hard are the ones who try to play it like God of War. Or magic damage (So Magic AND Faith oriented characters) builds getting to the boss of world 1-4.

Ranylyn:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Uh, Demon's Souls isn't "rage inducing" since every trap is fair; if you advance smartly and observe your surroundings, you will never fall for traps or ambushes.

Dark Souls is the one that's BS. And I mean "cheap death generator" level.

Example:

In Demon's Souls, there's a rolling ball trap at the top of some stairs. The stairs open up to the upper section of a castle rampart, so you see daylight. If you advance the stairs from the side (which is the way the room is designed) and rotate the camera to look up the stairs, you will very clearly see it. You can begin climing the stairs, see when it starts to roll, and just casually step off the side to avoid it.

In Dark Souls, there's also a rolling ball trap in a staircase. Except the ball is dark in a pitch black staircase and it's literally impossible to see; you WILL get hit if you don't know it's there. Even if you DO know it's there, you have no way of knowing when it starts to roll, and there's a large drop off to the side where you'll take fall damage if you manage to dodge the ball.

Demon's Souls is a great game. The only people who think it's hard are the ones who try to play it like God of War. Or magic damage (So Magic AND Faith oriented characters) builds getting to the boss of world 1-4.

Well, to be fair I'm saying that it's hard to the OP since he might not have played it before. Granted I should have elaborated on that fact, but it's still a hard game, I'm not saying it's unfair or cheap, but that you have to take your time with it. I love Demon's Souls to bits, and the same with Dark Souls, but neither is a walk in the park.

Here's my advice *ahem*: Buy an Xbox.

Just kidding. I'm a Xbox player but I I've played a fair amount on the PS3 and my favorites have been:

First and foremost: God of War series
Portal (i know its cross platform but for some reason I enjoyed more on the PS3
Killzone 3 (didn't play the other 2)
hell yeah Brutal Legend love that game
Assassin's Creed in my opinion is vastly superior on consoles
I loved Prototype so I'd recommend InFamous.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked