Critically Panned Games You Will Defend to the Death

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Hola, Escapist community! I've been playing Bodycount recently. ...don't look at me like that. It was cheap and by the creators of a game I really liked once. ...anyone point being, I'm rather enjoying the creatively void sponge of a game, and I'm perplexed that the game has actually received well below average scores.

Now I'm no stranger to how mass opinion works, but it occurred to me that I don't only disagree with "da Criticz," but I'd go so far as to argue their point on it. Now we've seen people all the time take popular games and drag them through the mud, but here's a game for you lot: a game you loved that everyone else seemed to loathe. Take that game, and defend it. Don't just say "oh yeah, everyone else hated it but I liked it..." Be a man! Stand up!

Obviously we're going to lay down some ground rules or people are going to start flaming each other to the third degree, so here's a condition: if you're going to post in here, do so positively. If you must correct someone whose opinion is factually wrong, do so politely. If you just disagree with somebody, do so in a calm and reasonable matter. The term "I do not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it" comes to mind. This is meant to be a sort of calming, cathartic thread; getting out in the open reasonable personal positive criticism of a game (or games) that everyone else would otherwise point at you and laugh for your admitting you like them.

So, go, Escapist. Clutch at straws! Cite subjective proofs! Do all you can to defend the games you loved, that those stupid, reasonable people out there hated anyway. You can do so with whatever game you'd like. I'd do it with Duke Nukem Forever, but that's a horse I've beaten to death at this point so... you guys go first. Just be nice, okay? Okay.

I liked Bodycount for one playthrough. Then I traded it in, but I didn't regret playing it at all. Kickass soundtrack, too.

I stand by Spark Unlimited's games as well, Turning Point and Legendary. They had great settings and ideas, and as games they weren't half as bad as people made them out to be. Not to mention, on a personal level, the people who work there are fantastic!

Naughty Bear was a lot of fun. It's a Friday the 13th simulator, but with teddy bears. I enjoyed it, even though it got repetitive.

Some movie adaptations also fit here. Tron: Evolution, Captain America: Super Soldier and X-Men Origins: Wolvering were all pretty cool games by themselves.

Transformers 2 had brilliant online, and the first few Harry Potter games were my childhood

Beast Wars for the PS1. That's right, I'm going there! My favorite thing about that game was being able to play as the Predicons and not just the good guys, the Maximals.

For me? Pretty much anything, and I do mean ANYTHING, that's niche.

These games often take a lot of slamming for their smaller budgets and lower emphasis on graphics and just generally looking unimpressive. But god damn, people, graphics are the single LEAST important part of the game! If the game itself is solid on every other front, then the graphics are just eyecandy!

Not really sure it counts as "panned", but I'll defend Fallout 3 with all of my heart. I don't know how it did it, but I'm emotionally attached to that title now.

As for really panned games, I'm never going to understand why people didn't like Full Auto (A racing game with weapons for the 360). I really enjoyed it, and it was a good splitscreen game to have around.

I think the first 3 Harry Potter games were hated on by critics. I don't know why, they were awesome. Don't hate on ma boy Harry, yo.

Perhaps not defend to the death, but Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) and Sonic Unleashed. They're not the greatest Sonic games, not by a long way, but I enjoyed Sonic 06 in parts and pretty much all of Sonic Unleashed (although the length of the night stages was ridiculous at times)

Muspelheim:
Not really sure it counts as "panned", but I'll defend Fallout 3 with all of my heart. I don't know how it did it, but I'm emotionally attached to that title now.

I'm not quite sure what the definition of "critically panned" is, but I'm very certain that a metacritic average of 91 on the PC and 93 on the 360 does not qualify as "critically panned".

two worlds.. it had commically bad voice acting but the world was damn stable and i loved it just the same

Elcarsh:

Muspelheim:

I'm not quite sure what the definition of "critically panned" is, but I'm very certain that a metacritic average of 91 on the PC and 93 on the 360 does not qualify as "critically panned".

Well, I said I wasn't sure. :3 It depends on who you ask, really...

Dungeon Siege 3. I adore that game. A good slappin' for anyone that says it's bad.

Alpha Protocol - yeah it had it's flaws but it's still one of my favourite games this gen.Such a shame we'll probably never see a sequel

MetalDooley:
Alpha Protocol - yeah it had it's flaws but it's still one of my favourite games this gen.Such a shame we'll probably never see a sequel

Good choice. I'll second this vote for Alpha Protocol. Flawed but very entertaining and underrated game.

I don't know about this "to the death" business mind you.

Although the combat wasn't stellar this game is a masterpiece in my eyes:

I'm not lying to you when I say this:

There are interesting characters
The Writing is on level with Mass Effect
The Darkness level, for a pokemon game, is perfect
Pokemon actually die

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard.

I wouldn't defend it "to the death", but it was alot better than most reviews made it out to be. There's a good chunk of honest creativity in there (like the FF7 Cloud parody boss, or the Wolfenstein-inspired 2-D enemies that turn sideways to avoid being shot).

It's not the most polished, it's not the most fun, but it has some genuinely funny moments in there. And hell, it's set up as a parody of Duke Nukem Forever. And it's arguably BETTER than what it's parodying. That's... both impressive and sad at the same time.

Mirror's Edge and Tenchu games. Mirror's Edge was both unique AND very playable. I don't get what all the fuss was about. Tenchu is......... well you're a fucking ninja and you actually have to be stealthy. I dare you to do better.

Final Fantasy X-2. I dunno, I really don't mind playing dress up while going through storylines which play out like Saturday morning cartoons.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. I fucking love that game

Mirror's Edge. Damn that game is fun. Dunno why people think you can't platform in first person, do you need to stare down at your feet if you wanna jump somewhere irl?

Do people not understand the word panned?

Destroy All Humans: Path of the Furon. What was wrong with it? It was fun as heck! The soundtrack was good, gameplay was fun and the only thing that was bad were the humans facial expressions...what was so bad that it has been panned to such a degree.

Freelancer.

It is the best game i've ever played. Also best multiplayer i've had to expirience in my life.
Nope, no Valve Game, Blizzard Game or anything of the same quality (of their best games) was that fun to me.

Dark Star One was just THAT horrible and had NO multiplayer <.<

But since it only really sold in Europe Mircosoft said no to a second title.
And since then i'm waiting patiently for a new Freelancer-esque game. I want it, and i want it now.

TizzytheTormentor:

This always happenes in these topics. People will bring up beloved games, even if they're cult hits, as if they're the only ones who like them, as opposed to genuinely shat-upon games that they are truly in the minority when they say they like them.

Alpha Protocol is awesome. I left off on my third playthrough of the game.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers. Not a perfect game but I got over fifty hours on the game and it was so much fun.

Captcha: bombs away. What are you saying captcha?

Final Fantasy XIII. While I'll admit that as a game it really, really sucked, the game massively went back towards the formula the franchise had before Enix jumped in, and it leaves me really optimistic for the future of the franchise. Well, apart from the linearity. If they ever manage to release another FF that meets the standards of 8 or 6 I will probably collapse with joy.

Not sure if it counts as critically panned, some people do like it, but it does seem like a lot of people hate it so yeah.

Too Human
Also the first Two Worlds

TO
THE
DEATH

AVP.

I love this game to death, and while I won't deny that it'll piss you off, it'll make you feel like a badass sometimes, make your pulse actually increase at others, make you feel like a part of a team, make you feel like a ninja, make you feel like a hunter.

Basically, a good match of the newest AVP is as good an online experience as can be had.

I reckon the Dynasty Warriors series qualifies.
What annoys me the most is they always get like 60% or less for being the same as previous games in the series and COD get's 90%+ for the exact same reason.
The day I noticed that was the day I stopped reading reviews.

Iwata:

TizzytheTormentor:

This always happenes in these topics. People will bring up beloved games, even if they're cult hits, as if they're the only ones who like them, as opposed to genuinely shat-upon games that they are truly in the minority when they say they like them.

It's just that people are bringing up Fallout 3 and Mirrors Edge, critical darlings and this is a thread about panned games. Those weren't cult hits, those are critically acclaimed franchises that sold a lot.

MetalDooley:

Totally agree.

So long as you approach it with stealth in mind its a very good game.

Go guns blazin' and it becomes god awful.

Terminate421:
Although the combat wasn't stellar this game is a masterpiece in my eyes:

I'm not lying to you when I say this:

There are interesting characters
The Writing is on level with Mass Effect
The Darkness level, for a pokemon game, is perfect
Pokemon actually die

I so loved the mystery dungeon games. I was expectin a light hearted pokemon adventure like every other pokemon game. I so did not get what I expected and I loved it for that. Combat was a drag though.

Can't really think of one other than that honestly. Maybe some mindless shooter than everyone couldn't stand and I liked because of some really random reason like a certain weapon or the way my character said one certain line.

Mirrors Edge, a million times, Mirrors Edge. Such a beautiful-looking game and a ton of fun to play. Needs a sequel desperately.

Also, the soundtrack was absolutely fucking fantastic.

Okay, I may be among the first ones here who's defending a game that was actually panned, not mildly disliked. Hold on to your knickers, gentlemen, for it is Kane & Lynch: Dog Days.

Yep, you heard me. That piece of shit game everyone hated.

Youtube-style camera makes you nauseous? Poppycock. I actually liked the atmosphere of chaos it created, and never once did I stop and think "oh, it sure is shaky, I might barf."

Bad graphics? Ballbags. I don't care about the graphics as long as the aesthetics hold up, and this game has fucking great aesthetics.

Too grimdark, naked level gratuitous? Baloney. It's kind of Kane & Lynch's thing, isn't it? I mean, in the first game's ending you had to choose between letting your daughter die or hanging your men out to dry while your daughter calls you a traitor (and rightly so) and forever refuses to have anything to do with you. Besides, that torture and post-torture scene was genuinely unsettling, and that doesn't happen often in video games.

Too short? Yep, still much more packed than your average 15-hour game, which is in fact 40% padding anyway.

Too difficult? Utter nonsense. Being raised on games like Max Payne and Mafia as my idea of a third-person shooter, I felt right at home with it. The cover system isn't "broken", it's just not a "make me temporarily invincible" mode that every other goddamned game has.

Bad ending? A load of fooey. No ending is an ending, and sometimes a very fitting one. Like this case, where I felt like the protagonists (note how I don't call them heroes) didn't deserve a better one. And I thought the whole game was supposed to be more of a bridge to the next installment than a full-fledged sequel. Which we'll likely never get now, thanks to Dog Days getting panned.

Retarded stealth section? Bullsh- eh, you're actually right on this one.

Now that we've dealt with all the common criticisms, why don't I mention the positive stuff everyone seemed to overlook, like the absolutely brilliant dialogue and atmosphere, some pretty decent directing, really good voice acting (by videogame standards, anyway), and the multiplayer that at least tries to transcend the done to death CTF and deathmatch stuff -- and, in my mind, succeeds at it.

The defense rests.

BloatedGuppy:

MetalDooley:

Good choice. I'll second this vote for Alpha Protocol. Flawed but very entertaining and underrated game.

I don't know about this "to the death" business mind you.

Aye, thirded there. It's downright bad in parts, but that shouldn't keep one from recognising that whatever it did well, it did extremely well.

TizzytheTormentor:

It's just that people are bringing up Fallout 3 and Mirrors Edge, critical darlings and this is a thread about panned games. Those weren't cult hits, those are critically acclaimed franchises that sold a lot.

Was about to mention that as well. Fallout 3 and Mirror's Edge have Metacritic scores of 91 and 81 respectively. Even in the cloud cuckoo land of video game reviewing that does not mean "panned". (Not to mention of course that Fallout 3 is Metacritic GOTY of 2008. Doing so would be silly.)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked