Halo 4 - Underwhelming?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Sorry if this has been talked about recently, but I'm seemingly terrible at noticing that my topic is already in existence. Anyway, I never really got into the Halo series. Don't get me wrong, they were pretty fun, but after the first game, I felt like they quickly started to be outpaced by the rest of the market. Having been badgered by a friend to check out the (as he put it) amazing Halo 4 gameplay from E3, I found it to be distinctly lacking. I'm curious, could someone more invested inform me what Halo 4 is doing that is new, evolutionary, awe inspiring or even just better in any way than the amazing library of games coming out over the next few years? I assume there must be something to fuel the amount of hype surrounding the title so what am I missing? (Not flame bait, would like to hear from more informed fans).

I was very dissapointed with the new weapons. They look almost exactly the same as human weapons but with a new skin and red lasers instead of bullets. Apart from that it looks pretty good, 343 actually made a good trailer, I'm impressed.

i haven't really seen enough of it to say but i will most likely get it since i like sci fi shooters

the captcha thinks it more of the same its most likely right but I've like the series so far so it not really a problem

It looks much better than I expected, I'm quite excited for it now.

I miss the old music...

Wheres the choir?

The environments were quite horrible but the weapons seemed cool.

Uuuuuurgh.

Underwhelming is putting it kindly.

Also, why is he shooting Covenant at the start? The war is over, they said it like six times. Also, didn't the Elites split from the other Covenant species? Why are they back together?

Zhukov:
Uuuuuurgh.

Also, why is he shooting Covenant at the start? The war is over, they said it like six times. Also, didn't the Elites split from the other Covenant species? Why are they back together?

As soon as I saw that, I just switched off.

GriffinStallion:
I was very dissapointed with the new weapons. They look almost exactly the same as human weapons but with a new skin and red lasers instead of bullets.

/seconded

So we've got a "forerunner assault rifle" and "forerunner shotgun"... Not exactly innovative.

The rest of it wasn't terribly bad. Pretty close to the other halo games in terms of style and such.

Im not sure I watched the same trailer as you people...

It made me jizz in my pants and totally reassured me that this was going to be a decent Halo. Maybe not as good as Halo 1 or Odst, but definitly on par with 3.

Zhukov:
Uuuuuurgh.

I saw no elites in the trailer, only Brutes, Grunts, Jackals and the flying thingies. Anyways, I'm actually looking forward to this. Halo 1-3 were good despite what people say. ODST was awful in every sense of the word and I never played Reach because I just couldn't bring myself to give a damn.
But, I may actually play Halo 4. I always wanted to learn more about the forerunners, considering it was heavily hinted that they were the humans that built the rings. This game could really be the kick in the butt the series needed.

Well it look pretty good from the gameplay video I saw just like their past Halo video, the type you get hype for.
The only nicpik is when that Forerunner hunter thing got upclose to Chief and its face open up to reveal its face, it's so cliche (it look like a energy/ red human skull oh gee don't tell me they are human related).

VanQQisH:

Zhukov:
Uuuuuurgh.

I saw no elites in the trailer, only Brutes, Grunts, Jackals and the flying thingies.

Uhh... might want to put your glasses on there matey.

3:35

That's an Elite. On top of just plain looking like one, he has one of those two tined swords and a personal shield. I think I even heard him say "Wort wort wort."

Scarim Coral:

The only nicpik is when that Forerunner hunter thing got upclose to Chief and its face open up to reveal its face, it's so cliche (it look like a energy/ red human skull oh gee don't tell me they are human related).

I just remembered, did Halo used to have the CoD style scripted events such as this? I don't think it did. Is the game that used to be called innovative now jumping on the proverbial bandwagon?

Anyway, I still don't quite understand what Halo is doing that is any different or better than any other shooters currently available. Compared to CoD or Battlefield it's not very realistic, compared to Bulletstorm it's not very over the top. The environments look incredibly generic, and the weapons are hardly original (with one or two exceptions). The main character has no discernable personality and the supporting cast are usually one dimensional (possible exception of Cortana). If it's all about the multiplayer, is it just the fact that you get the forge that makes it worthwhile? Everything else about it is done elsewhere and better. I just don't get it.

My impressions from the gameplay;

So they increased the size of everything in the HUD and made the weapon models twice as large, presumably so the 360 could run the game. Interesting, since the environment looks all to simular to the one at the beginning of 3.

Halo now has scripted events every 2 seconds. Just what everyone wanted. ...Oh, wait.

New weapons! A new sniper which is exactly like one of the snipers in previous games and a shotgun which is exactly like previous shotguns. Oh, did I say shotgun? I meant SCATTERSHOT. Yeah.

luvd1:

Zhukov:
Uuuuuurgh.

As soon as I saw that, I just switched off.

Not all covenant stopped once the war ended. There were still some loyalists who believed in what the prophets said. However how they - and the UNSC Infinity - got to the unknown forerunner planet makes no sense at all.

Captcha: van surfing - could explain it.

It looked okay to me. I don't think there's any need for every new game to innovate. A sequel in a popular franchise should deliver more of the same, only ever more polished - that's why people buy them.

Sixcess:
It looked okay to me. I don't think there's any need for every new game to innovate. A sequel in a popular franchise should deliver more of the same, only ever more polished - that's why people buy them.

I don't really want halo to totally revolutionize itself. I like it's gameplay style and the main reason I'm in it is for the story. I really love the halo universe if you read into more of the lore. I usually get sick of MP after a couple of months though.

I was underwhelmed by the gameplay, but the montage of story stuff tacked on at the end drew me back in. I'll check it out.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm curious to see what 343 can do with the franchise and I've been a fan since I got my first XBox and a free copy of the game.

I suppose it's just a fan thing. Call of Duty hasn't added much that's new since the early games, neither has God of War or Gears of War or Mass Effect, but you buy them because that happens to be the game that you are invested in the story of.

If you're not invested in Halo, don't bother with it.

I thought it looked pretty good but then I wasn't looking to find problems with it in order to score points on the internet.

I'm under-

TheCommanders:
Sorry if this has been talked about recently, but I'm seemingly terrible at noticing that my topic is already in existence. Anyway, I never really got into the Halo series. Don't get me wrong, they were pretty fun, but after the first game, I felt like they quickly started to be outpaced by the rest of the market. Having been badgered by a friend to check out the (as he put it) amazing Halo 4 gameplay from E3, I found it to be distinctly lacking. I'm curious, could someone more invested inform me what Halo 4 is doing that is new, evolutionary, awe inspiring or even just better in any way than the amazing library of games coming out over the next few years? I assume there must be something to fuel the amount of hype surrounding the title so what am I missing? (Not flame bait, would like to hear from more informed fans).

Pretty much this, except the first game was pretty fun, the second game, not so much. It had more linear levels, more shitty levels where you fight the flood, and in general didn't really add anything of value. the story wasn't any better either. Also, anybody who says Master Chief is a badass is full of shit, a hero is only as great as his enemies, the flood are boring, as for the covenant, well the hunters are fun to fight, and the grunts are fun to kill, but the grunts are fucking pussies and hunters are a bit underwhelming themselves, so you can't really anyone a badass for defeating them, the "elites" aren't even actually elite, and they would be better named "support", as they tend to support groups of grunts in battles. Any enemy called "elite" should a motherfucking near-end game/end game enemy, capable of doing things the enemies you fought earlier weren't, or even just being tougher versions of regular enemies. Brutes in Halo 2 would be better named "elites", but even they aren't that fun to fight.

Bring... Back... Myth.. Halo.. is .. .like .. beating..a ... dead.. horse.. of ...a ... franchise.

Just the 4th one? Halo is like introductory sci-fi/FPS for fratboys.

Zhukov:
Uuuuuurgh.

Perhaps those Covenant were sucked in during the war, which could explain why most of their ships are flying around. This could actually be a neat idea, and while the new weapons look lame I do like the more dynamic enemies, like the one which tosses your grenades back.

kingthrall:
Bring... Back... Myth.. Halo.. is .. .like .. beating..a ... dead.. horse.. of ...a ... franchise.

Halo 4 is beating a dead horse but Myth 4 wouldn't be?

Any idea who owns the rights to Myth these days?

Zhukov:
Uuuuuurgh.

Apparently they're scavengers or Covenant rebels or something like that. I don't particularly mind that, but I really hope they play a very small part.

VanQQisH:

Zhukov:
Uuuuuurgh.

I saw no elites in the trailer, only Brutes, Grunts, Jackals and the flying thingies. Anyways, I'm actually looking forward to this. Halo 1-3 were good despite what people say. ODST was awful in every sense of the word and I never played Reach because I just couldn't bring myself to give a damn.
But, I may actually play Halo 4. I always wanted to learn more about the forerunners, considering it was heavily hinted that they were the humans that built the rings. This game could really be the kick in the butt the series needed.

There was an elite in that little "patrol" group before you run into the forerunner AI. He pops a sword, charges you, and promptly got vaporized by a mysterious assailant.

TheCommanders:

In all honesty, I could care less if there is anything new, innovative, blah blah... all I care about is if it looks fun, and can get my pulse going. The trailer did that in spades for me, and I am looking forward to the game.

Zhukov:

kingthrall:

its Take 2, but they went bust and so its either Bungie Or Microsoft.

Regardless Myth 4 wouldn't be beating a dead horse because the last game was released 10 years ago.. Even Omni or Marathon would be decent but halo far out this game deserves to just crash and die after the 4th consective no 5th cause there was that reach one if I remember its just like they cant be bothered expanding their target audience.

There was like this history of Bungie talking about how they love to do different things, and yet they pursue this game blindly..

I was actually pleasantly suprised by the trailer.

...They had new enemies and weapons. That's a good start at changes...even if the weapons may be functionally similar.

kingthrall:

For the life of me, I dont get comments like this. How many Marios are there? How many Metal Gears? I can go all day with this. If its fun, if people like it, why not? If you dont like it, dont buy it, but it most certainly isnt a dead horse. Lets see what the sales are for the game when it hits... I would be willing to bet a dead horse wouldnt pull the insane amount of cash this game is going to get.

kingthrall:

Zhukov:

kingthrall:

Regardless Myth 4 wouldn't be beating a dead horse because the last game was released 10 years ago.. Even Omni or Marathon would be decent but halo far out this game deserves to just crash and die after the 4th consective no 5th cause there was that reach one if I remember its just like they cant be bothered expanding their target audience.

There was like this history of Bungie talking about how they love to do different things, and yet they pursue this game blindly..

Perhaps Bungie IS working on another Myth. They most certainly arent working on this Halo. Halo Reach was their last hurrah, with 343 taking up the mantle fully with Halo 4.

kingthrall:

Zhukov:

kingthrall:

Ironic you say they peruse it blindly, yet you appear to be blinded to the fact that Bungie isn't making Halo 4.

Eh.... looks about average. Average gameplay, sub-standard story, entertaining if played co-op, playing alone will probably be boring as hell, so yeah, its Halo, I didn't expect an amazing, ground breaking game, and you should not really either.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked