My thoughts of Tomb Raider Crossroads

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I think I should be fair and just admit that the game looks conceptually quite creative and interesting.

Having said that, I'm sad. I don't think there was any need for a Tomb Raider game about a scared, pussyfooting Lara Croft. Lara Croft is from a rare breed of well written female characters in videogames and she is my personal favourite character in videogames, period. I've always seen her as a female Batman, only better than Batman because she wasn't brooding all day like an angry teenager and didn't have crippling doubts about her sexuality. The E3 trailer looks pretty promising (even if it's just that, a promise) but the person on that screen isn't Lara Croft.

For one thing, a new mechanic is that you have to hunt to survive and Lara is whining like a little girl because she has to kill a poor, widdle raindeer. The same Lara who on an expedition unexpectedly found the last surviving T Rex and proceeded to give it a face full of lead without as much as a sigh. I think I get the Other M thing now because this trailer looks stupid, and I feel stupid for watching it. Why didn't they just make this game with another character? Who wants to play as a weak and scared Lara Croft? Not me anyway.

I want to fucking reboot this franchise one day. Oh, and Square Enix is a shitty studio.

I think had they kept the old Lara she would've been too much like Nathan Drake and not appealing to the Japanese gamers. So while I do agree that she is a bit too scared shitless maybe she'll grow to be more confident and all around composed through out the game, so we're still a year early to make any assumptions

It's an origin story. This is what turned her into the Lara Croft of the later games. I fucking love the direction it's taking, although I am hoping for a scene halfway through where she finds her dual handguns, Master Sword style.

I think the new Lara is a lot more compelling than the old one. The Lara Croft of the old games was just yet another boring, one-dimsional "badass", notable only for her gender and her outsized breasts.

Me, I'm tired of badasses starring in my games. You can't so much as throw a rock without hitting at least three of them.

I like the idea of playing as an underdog for a change, someone who's scared by scary things and reacts to gruesome violence and whatnot in a believable manner.

Granted, they could have just started a new IP, but that would anger the heathen gods of marketing.

Revolutionaryloser:
I think I should be fair and just admit that the game looks conceptually quite creative and interesting.

Having said that, I'm sad. I don't think there was any need for a Tomb Raider game about a scared, pussyfooting Lara Croft. Lara Croft is from a rare breed of well written female characters in videogames and she is my personal favourite character in videogames, period. I've always seen her as a female Batman, only better than Batman because she wasn't brooding all day like an angry teenager and didn't have crippling doubts about her sexuality. The E3 trailer looks pretty promising (even if it's just that, a promise) but the person on that screen isn't Lara Croft.

For one thing, a new mechanic is that you have to hunt to survive and Lara is whining like a little girl because she has to kill a poor, widdle raindeer. The same Lara who on an expedition unexpectedly found the last surviving T Rex and proceeded to give it a face full of lead without as much as a sigh. I think I get the Other M thing now because this trailer looks stupid, and I feel stupid for watching it. Why didn't they just make this game with another character? Who wants to play as a weak and scared Lara Croft? Not me anyway.

I want to fucking reboot this franchise one day. Oh, and Square Enix is a shitty studio.

It is an origin story. Play it before you start whining.

Also, was their a point in that last comment or are you just trying to piss fans off?

Zhukov:
I think the new Lara is a lot more compelling than the old one. The Lara Croft of the old games was just yet another boring, one-dimsional "badass", notable only for her gender and her outsized breasts.

Not to mention she seems kind of evil, killing treasure hunters who got there before her and generally just destroying ancient temples and artifacts.

But I agree that the new Lara looks pretty interesting. I just hope the gameplay lives up to the premise.

baddude1337:

Zhukov:

Not to mention she seems kind of evil, killing treasure hunters who got there before her and generally just destroying ancient temples and artifacts.

But I agree that the new Lara looks pretty interesting. I just hope the gameplay lives up to the premise.

Well, yeah. She is an incredibly egocentric, borderline insane, billionaire playgirl with a penchant for ancient history and killing animals in danger of extinction. That's her schtick. What I found compelling about her is how much of a fuck she isn't giving.

I get that people are tired of "one-dimensional" characters, but that is just missing the forest for the trees because Lara Croft is one of the most complex and interesting characters ever, way ahead of her time.

Revolutionaryloser:
I get that people are tired of "one-dimensional" characters, but that is just missing the forest for the trees because Lara Croft is one of the most complex and interesting characters ever, way ahead of her time.

Yeah, she's right up there with the Doom marine.

I like the direction it's taking, but at the same time I think they're going overboard with the Lara abuse. Does she have adamantium bones or something? They might as well just call it "The Passion of the Croft".

Still, I'm hoping that we actually see her gradual transformation through the game and not just in a quickie ending cinematic. That would be awesome.

BiggyShackleton:
It's an origin story.

Capitano Segnaposto:
It is an origin story.

On a related note: are there any "origin stories" that don't completely suck? Something seems off about the whole concept of "here is a story about a fun character before he/she was a fun character."

baddude1337:

Zhukov:

Talk about it, I always remember that the main motivation of the villains in Legends was to simply "enter in heaven"...
And I was like: "Wait... That's not evil, that's actually kinda nice, okay, the methods were a bit evil, but if it wasn't for Lara this shit wouldn't need to go like this..."

With that said, I am really excited about this new Tomb Raider.

Let me comment on this as someone who knows little of Tomb Raider, but is eager to become a fan.

I've always viewed Lara Croft as a dangerous dichotomy. She could be used as an infallible sex object who doesn't sweat at any challenge, or an unusually strong female character who does sweat at challenges but overcomes them anyway and is really attractive but doesn't let it define her.
More often than not it's the former, unfortunately. From what I can see anywho.

So I've been interested by the character and I thought that Guardian of Light was really, really fun, and I thought that a nice reboot origin story would clean her slate of all the stupid stuff. But I kid of got the idea from the trailer that there'd be like, a bit at the start where she's all lame and incompetent but then a magical time-skip leaves her pretty damn good at stuff and then by the end of the game she's kicking all sorts of rump, which isn't how I feel after E3. They seemed to really focus on the young-and-starting-out thing. Bleh.

See, people often get badasses wrong: The best kind of badass isn't one who easily accomplishes anything, it's one surmounts all sorts of obstacles.
Take the OP's example, Batman - Batman is cool because he doesn't have superpowers, but he saves the world just as often as Superman. He doesn't do it as quickly as Supes, but he still does it.
The same logic made Batman boring - Eventually writers got lazy and just said "Oh, he has a plan for everything!" so it became mundane and we all knew Batman would beat Darkseid because he predicted exactly what Darkseid would do and planned out this whole thing...

So it's a good idea to show Lara's struggle... It's not a good idea to go too bloody far and have us control a whimpering punching bag throughout the game. Hopefully they won't indulge in either extreme, but this game could just be fantastic if they get her character right.
It's about time we had a female action protagonist who is admirable relatable.

On a side-note: Is this reboot going to be mostly realistic? Because I liked Guardian of Light because it let me throw an infinite number of golden spears at giant fire demons and then bounce a grenade off a wall into their backs. Will that be happening in this game, does anyone know?

Kahunaburger:

BiggyShackleton:
It's an origin story.

Capitano Segnaposto:
It is an origin story.

On a related note: are there any "origin stories" that don't completely suck? Something seems off about the whole concept of "here is a story about a fun character before he/she was a fun character."

Mildly ironic brofist, dude. What you said. Everybody just seems to understand that "origin story" is carte blanche for making a story that sucks balls and nobody really needed to know about.

Thespian:
Let me comment on this as someone who knows little of Tomb Raider, but is eager to become a fan.

I've always viewed Lara Croft as a dangerous dichotomy. She could be used as an infallible sex object who doesn't sweat at any challenge, or an unusually strong female character who does sweat at challenges but overcomes them anyway and is really attractive but doesn't let it define her.
More often than not it's the former, unfortunately. From what I can see anywho.

So I've been interested by the character and I thought that Guardian of Light was really, really fun, and I thought that a nice reboot origin story would clean her slate of all the stupid stuff. But I kid of got the idea from the trailer that there'd be like, a bit at the start where she's all lame and incompetent but then a magical time-skip leaves her pretty damn good at stuff and then by the end of the game she's kicking all sorts of rump, which isn't how I feel after E3. They seemed to really focus on the young-and-starting-out thing. Bleh.

See, people often get badasses wrong: The best kind of badass isn't one who easily accomplishes anything, it's one surmounts all sorts of obstacles.
Take the OP's example, Batman - Batman is cool because he doesn't have superpowers, but he saves the world just as often as Superman. He doesn't do it as quickly as Supes, but he still does it.
The same logic made Batman boring - Eventually writers got lazy and just said "Oh, he has a plan for everything!" so it became mundane and we all knew Batman would beat Darkseid because he predicted exactly what Darkseid would do and planned out this whole thing...

So it's a good idea to show Lara's struggle... It's not a good idea to go too bloody far and have us control a whimpering punching bag throughout the game. Hopefully they won't indulge in either extreme, but this game could just be fantastic if they get her character right.
It's about time we had a female action protagonist who is admirable relatable.

On a side-note: Is this reboot going to be mostly realistic? Because I liked Guardian of Light because it let me throw an infinite number of golden spears at giant fire demons and then bounce a grenade off a wall into their backs. Will that be happening in this game, does anyone know?

I think you are just trying to simplify too much. Lara Croft is much too complex a person to be categorized as "good" badass "shitty" badass. She is her own person with her own flaws and own charms and a personal charm of hers is that she laughs in the face of death, takes her fights to the gods themselves and still has time for a quick lay with a cute venezuelan before she takes the next flight; all while sort of not giving a shit because she's an eccentric billionaire and the honest truth is that she seeks adventure and peril because she's bored shitless. She already had an origin story and it didn't involve a chain of uninspired slasher cliches.

Well, I find the general idea of the game interesting as I like stories about weak characters going through extreme hardships a lot and there're hardly any games going in this direction.
I think a new IP would have suited this game more but eh, you can't have everything, I guess. At least this way it'll possibly be the first Tomb Raider where Croft is an actually interesting character.

Revolutionaryloser:

Here's what I never liked about Laura. Unless the players are really clumsy Laura has always been portrayed as perfect and infallible. The woman is bitchy, condescending, uptight, pretentious... she had no vulnerabilities, no weaknesses, nothing anyone can look at her and relate to or feel any sort of attachment to (unless you're a breast obsessed adolescent) It's like she wasn't even human... just some unrealistically illustrious goddess.

Now she's vulnerable. Now she starts off as meek and humble and we get to see her fight her way through hell and develop the skills and confidence to see her become the strong, tough, capable woman that she always has been. She was just sort of 'born' that way before. I always thought Laura was a poor portrayal of any character, not just one of video games leading ladies. Now she is being portrayed more respectfully and in a way that more people can resonate with... unless all you want is a walking pair of tits...

And yes, Square Enix is a shitty studio...

Kahunaburger:

BiggyShackleton:
It's an origin story.

Capitano Segnaposto:
It is an origin story.

The reason why the Tomb Raider games were fun was because of the gameplay, hardly because of the characterization or story. Lara Croft has always been portrayed as being "Perfect" at everything, including looks. This slightly weaker Lara that adds a lot in terms of story, as well as an, albeit obvious, character development.

Either way, it is pointless as we have no idea what the final product looks like.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Kahunaburger:

BiggyShackleton:
It's an origin story.

Capitano Segnaposto:
It is an origin story.

The reason why the Tomb Raider games were fun was because of the gameplay, hardly because of the characterization or story. Lara Croft has always been portrayed as being "Perfect" at everything, including looks. This slightly weaker Lara that adds a lot in terms of story, as well as an, albeit obvious, character development.

Either way, it is pointless as we have no idea what the final product looks like.

Okay, so the plan is to take things that are fun and shoehorn in stuff that has nothing to do with them being fun?

I think the borderline sadistic way in which the developers seem to delight in torturing the girl is disturbing to say the least, I also couldn't help but notice that in the trailers Lara lacked her trademark Brit accent. But honestly that's not what bothers me about the game. I've always liked Lara Croft as a character because I find her fun in and adventurous lighthearted sort of way, but she's not why I played Tomb Raider.

No, what bothers me is the gameplay. It looks exactly like Uncharted in every way, right down to the cover mechanics, set pieces, quick times and gunning down of numerous nondescript enemies. That's never what Tomb Raider has been about, it's about a sense of exploration and adventure. Of puzzle-solving mixed with platforming to create massive complex labyrinth that can often feel both overwhelming at first, but also incredibly satisfying once you've figured them out. Something that was completely absent from every piece of information and gameplay released for this new game.

Might turn out to be a good game... maybe a bit dark for my tastes, but there's a decent chance if it gets good reviews I'll end up playing it. But it wont be Tomb Raider.

They should have gone with a fresh IP for this I think. When the changes to the franchise are this drastic they might as well have. Only reason they didn't is probably marketing.

Revolutionaryloser:
Lara Croft is much too complex a person

I can't take this seriously.

Lara Croft is about as complex as a piece of paper. She is perfect in everything she does. That doesn't make a good character. Or did she actually develop one in the past few games that I missed?

Kahunaburger:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Kahunaburger:

Okay, so the plan is to take things that are fun and shoehorn in stuff that has nothing to do with them being fun?

I don't understand a word you are saying.

Please tell me, how is the game any less fun if it involves a supposedly* more complex character than the previous Lara "Perfect at Everything" Croft that will also boast an actual story?

* Supposedly as I don't know what the final product will entail.

Before learning to fearlessly fight trexes, one must overcome their fear of hurting cute little wunny bunnies.

I have no problem with a scared, bullied, traumatized lara so long as it results in her becoming a stronger character by the end of it.

Revolutionaryloser:
I think you are just trying to simplify too much. Lara Croft is much too complex a person to be categorized as "good" badass "shitty" badass. She is her own person with her own flaws and own charms and a personal charm of hers is that she laughs in the face of death, takes her fights to the gods themselves and still has time for a quick lay with a cute venezuelan before she takes the next flight; all while sort of not giving a shit because she's an eccentric billionaire and the honest truth is that she seeks adventure and peril because she's bored shitless. She already had an origin story and it didn't involve a chain of uninspired slasher cliches.

Obviously there are compromises and whatnot beyond the two extremes I gave. But your description makes your sound like a crazy person who isn't phased by anyone... Which makes a character very hard to relate to. If there's emotional synergy between character and player then it's very hard to sympathize and be engaged with a story.
I don't think that Lara is all those things you described because someone planned her to be that way or because it makes for a good character. Sounds like years of lazy writing that lacked foresight to me. Fleshing the character out is fine.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Kahunaburger:

Capitano Segnaposto:

I don't understand a word you are saying.
i
Please tell me, how is the game any less fun if it involves a supposedly* more complex character than the previous Lara "Perfect at Everything" Croft that will also boast an actual story?

* Supposedly as I don't know what the final product will entail.

What elements made past Tomb Raider games fun? Does a harrowing, character-driven story have anything to do with these elements?

Thespian:

Revolutionaryloser:

Obviously there are compromises and whatnot beyond the two extremes I gave. But your description makes your sound like a crazy person who isn't phased by anyone... Which makes a character very hard to relate to. If there's emotional synergy between character and player then it's very hard to sympathize and be engaged with a story.
I don't think that Lara is all those things you described because someone planned her to be that way or because it makes for a good character. Sounds like years of lazy writing that lacked foresight to me. Fleshing the character out is fine.

Yes. That is the point. She is crazy. Think of The Doctor. He's crazy, he's seen shit you can't begin to imagine, he knows more than you could possibly ho to learn in a hundred lifetimes, one might even say he borders on perfection; does that make him boring, or badly written, or unrelatable? (Hint: No, it doesn't) Lara is just an eccentric billionaire. What is so hard to understand about that? She's rich. She can do whatever she wants. She chooses to risk her life every second living by jumping into the most dangerous adventures this planet has to offer.

And for the record, I'm talking about the original Lara, not the amalgamation of Laras born of shitty sequels over decades of different publishers corpse fucking a perfectly adequate franchise.

I'm a long term fan of the series - it had its ups and downs but overall I liked the games. I had my rant about the E3 trailer a few days ago, and at this point I'm so depressed at what I'm seeing that I can barely bring myself to discuss it. If anyone's that interested in what I think of it here's a link

TL/DR: This should have been a new IP. It's going to be compared to Other M a lot, and that's not a good sign. From what I've seen so far has all the character depth of an exploitation movie.

For the record. A list of Lara's personality traits that you could call "flaws":

-Daddy Issues
--Lara is a huge Daddy's girl.
--Lara has basically spent her whole life chasing her father's shadow.
-Irresponsible.
-Incapable of dealing with a serious relationship.
-Curiosity.
--Incapable of minding her own bloody business.
--Incapable of not pressing levers/collecting apocaliptic mcguffins/leaving dangerous stuff where it can't harm anybody.
--Incapable of heeding obvious warnings in the style of "all who pass shall die" and such
-Terrible risk assessment.
-Being a fucking fruitcake.
-Egocentricity.
-Poor judge of character.
-Gets on people's bad sides very fast.
-Does not give a fuck about wildlife.
-Does not give a fuck about preserving ancient ruins.
-Does not give a fuck about laws in any shape or form.
-She's obsessed with perpetually remodelling her mansion (typical sign of deep psychological trauma).
-Extremely violent.
-Disdain for human life bordering on psychopathy.
-Generally obsessive personality.
-Overbearing sexual libido.

Griffon_Hawke179:
-snip-

I can't understand how you can reconcile the idea that Lara is "perfect and infallible" and that she has "no vulnerabilities, no weaknesses" with the idea that she is "bitchy, condescending, uptight, pretentious". Makes no sense to me.

Revolutionaryloser:

Wait what? I'll admit, I've only played the first game, so my view is limited, but I didn't get the impression she was exactly a sex kitten of any sort.

LetalisK:

Revolutionaryloser:

Wait what? I'll admit, I've only played the first game, so my view is limited, but I didn't get the impression she was exactly a sex kitten of any sort.

I've played quite a few of the games and she isn't, if anything she has a tendency to be a bit cold. No clue where this 'sexual libido' thing comes from.

The new Tomb Raider seems intent on disempowering and victimising who used to be one of the few truly dominant heroines in gaming. It's yet another chapter in this absolute crap canon of media which believes that women leads must suffer their way to heroism.
Add to that the completely unwarranted and misjudged allusions to rape in some scenes presented in the demo and you have a veritable feast of ignorant and callous "creative" decisions to choose from.

I don't accept that this is the approach which is warranted in order to make Lara "believable."
And I can't comprehend why anyone would take that character, that wonderfully assertive and unabashedly badass character, and bring her down to a level of unmediated fear of assault. It doesn't make her more interesting. It merely renders her a troubling reminder of what sexual violence, and the unwavering dread for it, can do to a person, and how media continues to exploit that fear for dramatic purposes.

Now, I won't argue that Lara was ever a profoundly substantial character to begin with.
But she was at least a reliably sovereign one.

The Madman:

LetalisK:

Revolutionaryloser:

I've played quite a few of the games and she isn't, if anything she has a tendency to be a bit cold. No clue where this 'sexual libido' thing comes from.

Yeah. When Tomb Raider started to be developed in the US they changed that because wouldn't you know strong women can't have sex. I'm assuming you've played those games. In the early days, one of Tomb Raider's popular marketing stunts were diary excerpts relating her sexual conquests that came with magazines. I've still got a few somewhere. In all the early games, she hits on just about every man she meets and her dilly-dallying over capping some dudes ass because of his looks is practically a staple of the series. In other words, she decides to kill or not depending on how horny she's feeling.

Anyone else remember Alien? The original, I mean. Not Aliens.

Everyone remembers Ellen Ripley for going 1-on-1 with the Alien Queen in the second film, I think, but seeing her scared and basically defenseless in the first one was important. She had to be afraid before she could be courageous, and she had to be weak so she could grow strong.

I'm hoping the Tomb Raider reboot can turn Lara into a modern Ellen Ripley. (Also, I'm hoping the game will be a great playing experience. I believe I was promised Metroidvania last year, so they'd better go through with that and do it well.)

EDIT: And, for that matter, we could also stand having more human (and less superhuman) male protagonists. Isaac Clarke (Dead Space) was a step in the right direction, but he still came packed in armor and was immediately able to handle himself... and Dead Space 3 is most definitely a step in the WRONG direction.

Revolutionaryloser:

Yeah. When Tomb Raider started to be developed in the US they changed that because wouldn't you know strong women can't have sex. I'm assuming you've played those games. In the early days, one of Tomb Raider's popular marketing stunts were diary excerpts relating her sexual conquests that came with magazines. I've still got a few somewhere. In all the early games, she hits on just about every man she meets and her dilly-dallying over capping some dudes ass because of his looks is practically a staple of the series. In other words, she decides to kill or not depending on how horny she's feeling.

Don't have the boxes for Tomb Raider 1 and 2 anymore unfortunately, but still got this one. I've played the shit out of those old games.

And if advertising counts as legit character building now then nearly every female character in the history of the gaming industry also has a 'Overbearing sexual libido'. Hell, might as well toss in fanfics and good ol' rule 34 art since it would have the same effect.

Lara Croft flirted, but how that translates into nymphomania I don't follow. Besides you're talking as though the original Tomb Raider games were dialogue heavy experience set in heavily populated locations. The first Tomb Raider as I recall features a grand total of around a half dozen to a dozen characters at most, only one of which was a prominent male character which Lara did indeed flirt with. That's it. Meanwhile probably the original game of the trilogy with the most characters in it is actually Tomb Raider 3 and even then it was hardly a dialogue driven experience. Tomb Raider 3 is also when the game starting to go a bit crazy, but the platforming was still good so there's that at least.

Methinks ye exaggerate a bit much.

You are aware that practically the first thing they said about the game last year was that it was about her development from being a first-time adventurer being forced to grow and survive in an extremely hostile environment, right?

She was reaching a point of self-parody in the last games. They'd managed to curtail it a bit when Crystal Dynamics took over, but it was in desperate need of a restart, as was the character.

Already she seems far more compelling than the old one.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked