My thoughts of Tomb Raider Crossroads

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

It looks far more interesting than the older games. Hell, even the trailer basically said that she starts out being terrible at everything and ends a badass. Suffering and conflict is what makes a character grow and become better. The ability to be wounded, alone in a cave, scared, and with no one coming to help yet still push on is what will make her an interesting character. That's far more badass than what she was before.

Woodsey:
Snip

I'm just wondering why, for a first time adventurer, she isn'tgoing all, "Holy shit I killed someone and there's blood everywhere, wahh!" like a first time adventurer would. Maybe it's sacrificed for the sake of gameplay, maybe it happens after or before that point in the game.

JediMB:
Snip

Basically this. On one hand, if they pull this off, then gamers will probably be re-enchanted with Tomb Raider. As least now you don't have to remember the button combinations for a high jump and a long jump and grabbing the edge. I liked the series from a gameplay point of view, albeit from the clunky controls, until Angel of Darkness appeared. One the other hand, it all could go horribly wrong. Reboot? Origin Story? Tough Female Character? Heard of Other M and its [sarcasm]virtues[/sarcasm], just be thankful it isn't going to be made by the idiots who made that.

Terratina.:

Woodsey:
Snip

I'm just wondering why, for a first time adventurer, she isn'tgoing all, "Holy shit I killed someone and there's blood everywhere, wahh!" like a first time adventurer would. Maybe it's sacrificed for the sake of gameplay, maybe it happens after or before that point in the game.

Well, she's doing it with the deer, so presumably that's later. She's plenty upset/surprised to find her friend hanging.

Terratina.:
One the other hand, it all could go horribly wrong. Reboot? Origin Story? Tough Female Character? Heard of Other M and its [sarcasm]virtues[/sarcasm], just be thankful it isn't going to be made by the idiots who made that.

I really, really hope Nintendo have learned from Other M and hire an actual writer for the next game. Yoshio Sakamoto did great as a director for... well... pretty much every Metroid game, but he's a terrible writer. (Also, he's a very bad voice director, since he was the one to force Samus' flat voice acting into the game.)

Terratina.:

Woodsey:
Snip

JediMB:
Snip

Basically this. On one hand, if they pull this off, then gamers will probably be re-enchanted with Tomb Raider. As least now you don't have to remember the button combinations for a high jump and a long jump and grabbing the edge. I liked the series from a gameplay point of view, albeit from the clunky controls, until Angel of Darkness appeared. One the other hand, it all could go horribly wrong. Reboot? Origin Story? Tough Female Character? Heard of Other M and its [sarcasm]virtues[/sarcasm], just be thankful it isn't going to be made by the idiots who made that.

No. You're right. It's being made by Square Enix. yay. That's so much better.

Revolutionaryloser:

Griffon_Hawke179:
-snip-

I can't understand how you can reconcile the idea that Lara is "perfect and infallible" and that she has "no vulnerabilities, no weaknesses" with the idea that she is "bitchy, condescending, uptight, pretentious". Makes no sense to me.

Well, I guess I can't understand how that makes no sense to you... are you saying that traits such as being "bitchy, condescending, uptight, and pretentious" are imperfect and fallible? Well, yes... but they aren't redeeming qualities and do more to make a person dislike a character. In fact, they are more often the mark of somebody with self esteem issues. For people who realize they are imperfect but are too proud or cowardly to admit it or who have done nothing to earn a sense of pride in themselves.

Here, we get to see how Laura earns her self esteem as any true hero bloody well should. For anyone saying that Laura somehow gets a free pass to be a bitchy, condescending, uptight and pretentious hero without having to earn it just doesn't understand what makes a good hero.

Any true hero has to go through hell to earn their heroism... you can't just be really good at what you do and get to be all smug about it. That's what I never liked about Laura before...

Seeing a hero drive themselves through hell and come out the other side will make me care about them... what makes Laura any different? I always thought Laura to be a poor representation of women in video games. Well, much more of a male representation of a woman, anyway. I think it is grand that she'd finally be given some respect in her portrayal. Dropping her cup size down a notch or twelve is only the start...

Zhukov:
I think the new Lara is a lot more compelling than the old one. The Lara Croft of the old games was just yet another boring, one-dimsional "badass", notable only for her gender and her outsized breasts.

Me, I'm tired of badasses starring in my games. You can't so much as throw a rock without hitting at least three of them.

I like the idea of playing as an underdog for a change, someone who's scared by scary things and reacts to gruesome violence and whatnot in a believable manner.

Granted, they could have just started a new IP, but that would anger the heathen gods of marketing.

Pretty much this.

Watching a character turn into a badass is a lot more interesting than them starting as one. That's why the general hero's journey always starts when them getting their ass kicked. Seeing how a hero becomes a hero gives you an in for understanding their motivations and empathizing with them.

I also have hopes that this game will address a common problem a lot of media (not just games) has with strong female characters: the fear of making them vulnerable. A badass is fun to watch, but it's much easier to relate to the when you see them have human emotions. Give the hero a cat they love, or make them display genuine fear occasionally so we don't forget they're supposed to be a real person. It's hard to care about an automaton.

Honestly, the vulnerability thing is important for male characters, too. Writers just seem to be more reluctant to put a female character in that position, possibly out of fear for making her seem weak.

In my opinion, though, giving them weaknesses makes it all the more satisfying when they overcome them, and makes them seem stronger. It takes more strength to face your fears than to live without fear.

Woodsey:
Snip

Fair enough.

Revolutionaryloser:
Snip

I have one problem with your post.

Seriously, it could be worse, I know Square Enix published the worst game ever: Drakenguard but Cavia developed that piece of hellspawn, but imagine that the IP was bought by Zynga and that company was making the game instead of Square Enix *shudders*, so you know, it could be worse. Much worse.

Griffon_Hawke179:

Revolutionaryloser:

Griffon_Hawke179:
-snip-

I can't understand how you can reconcile the idea that Lara is "perfect and infallible" and that she has "no vulnerabilities, no weaknesses" with the idea that she is "bitchy, condescending, uptight, pretentious". Makes no sense to me.

Well, I guess I can't understand how that makes no sense to you... are you saying that traits such as being "bitchy, condescending, uptight, and pretentious" are imperfect and fallible? Well, yes... but they aren't redeeming qualities and do more to make a person dislike a character. In fact, they are more often the mark of somebody with self esteem issues. For people who realize they are imperfect but are too proud or cowardly to admit it or who have done nothing to earn a sense of pride in themselves.

Here, we get to see how Laura earns her self esteem as any true hero bloody well should. For anyone saying that Laura somehow gets a free pass to be a bitchy, condescending, uptight and pretentious hero without having to earn it just doesn't understand what makes a good hero.

Any true hero has to go through hell to earn their heroism... you can't just be really good at what you do and get to be all smug about it. That's what I never liked about Laura before...

Seeing a hero drive themselves through hell and come out the other side will make me care about them... what makes Laura any different? I always thought Laura to be a poor representation of women in video games. Well, much more of a male representation of a woman, anyway. I think it is grand that she'd finally be given some respect in her portrayal. Dropping her cup size down a notch or twelve is only the start...

1. Her name is Lara.

2. Nobody ever said she was a hero. Other than saving the world a few times a year (which is a mere consequence of her lifestyle) she has no pretentions of being much of a hero. I suppose she does actively try and help mankind now and then, but I would never call that heroism, just modest decency. I think she enjoys academic fame, though.

Terratina.:

Woodsey:
Snip

Fair enough.

Revolutionaryloser:
Snip

I have one problem with this post.

Seriously, it could be worse, I know Square Enix published the worst game ever: Drakenguard but Cavia developed that piece of hellspawn, but imagine that the IP was bought by Zynga and that company was making the game instead of Square Enix *shudders*, so you know, it could be worse. Much worse.

Square Enix exist solely to destroy everything beautiful and holy in this world. They have no mercy.

Revolutionaryloser:
Snip

Welp, that's your opinion. Nothing like some evil corporate empire to oppress us gamers and deny us good games. I'm not gonna continue this little conversation because Square Enix has lawyers and the like to defend itself. It could be worse, just sayin'. Goodbye.

You can tell an interesting back-story without making your woman character a punching bag.

The excessive moaning and whimpering of Lara in every scrap of gameplay footage I've seen makes it seem depressingly likely that the developers think she can only be legitimised as a character if she suffers through the most abhorrent kind of treatment. Imposing the spectre of rape doesn't make matters any better. If anything, it just makes the game seem even more misguidedly crass and exploitative.

Always found it funny how male heroes in gaming are simply accepted as badasses the way they are. Even in the rare cases that they have some trauma which isn't related to some absentee father figure, they are depicted as capable and self-assured with no questions asked.
Their female counterparts, on the other hand, have always had to struggle with some external force holding them back; victimised for some abstract notion of "drama".
And seldom, if ever, to any meaningful effect.

Lara was one of the few heroines in gaming who seemed to be in total and absolute control of her faculties. She had a past, but it was never used to sensationalise or glorify trauma.
In fact, it actually told a very relatable story of rejecting an applied identity and overcoming impossible odds without resorting to the most base kind of galvanisation.

In the case of this reboot, I don't think we should conflate a classic "rise to power" archetype with what appears to be little more than the gaming equivalent of Captivity.

Revolutionaryloser:

Griffon_Hawke179:

Revolutionaryloser:

1. Her name is Lara.

2. Nobody ever said she was a hero. Other than saving the world a few times a year (which is a mere consequence of her lifestyle) she has no pretentions of being much of a hero. I suppose she does actively try and help mankind now and then, but I would never call that heroism, just modest decency. I think she enjoys academic fame, though.

So, what you're saying about Lara is that she is horrendously bland and uninteresting and that her only notable feature is her pair of enormous tits and that she shouldn't ever be anything more... than a walking pair of tits...? and you're okay with that?

Griffon_Hawke179:

Revolutionaryloser:

Griffon_Hawke179:

1. Her name is Lara.

So, what you're saying about Lara is that she is horrendously bland and uninteresting and that her only notable feature is her pair of enormous tits and that she shouldn't ever be anything more... than a walking pair of tits...? and you're okay with that?

If the only thing you can appreciate is a pair of tits, who am I to tell you not to? It's easy to just focus on the obvious details and judge everything superficially. However, I do think that you will one day realize that there's more to a woman than mammaries and a fuckhole.

Revolutionaryloser:

Square Enix exist solely to destroy everything beautiful and holy in this world. They have no mercy.

What's so bad about Square Enix? I mean, aside from "OMG THERE'S NUNS WITH GUNS IN A HITMAN TRAILER!"
Seriously, is there a single major publisher (other than Valve) that isn't fashionable to hate on these days?

Thespian:
It's not a good idea to go too bloody far and have us control a whimpering punching bag throughout the game.

I honestly don't think it's in any way possible to have the protagonist of a video game be a whimpering punching bag. Games by their very nature involve constantly overcoming obstacles, and thus the character you control is empowered by the mere fact they're progressing through the narrative.

The challenge won't be in balancing Lara's sense of vulnerability with her tenacity, it'll be in making her vulnerabilities believable at all when we're running and jumping and shooting and hunting with ease outside of cutscenes.

Revolutionaryloser:
snip

It's not being made by Square Enix, it's being published by Square Enix.

LiquidGrape:
snip

You ever heard someone with adrenaline going through them from a relatively normal injury or when they're coming face-to-face with a phobia? They don't sound far off from that, and those situations are generally quite a stretch away from being chased through a cave by a cannibalistic crazy-man.

As for your point about male heroes, we very rarely meet male heroes at the very beginning. Lara is straight out of university with this one. Think about it. Because right now, what you're saying is that you seriously believe that the best way to represent a female character (any character, even) is to make her a caricature like half of the retarded male protagonists we have to endure. That's what the old Lara Croft was, a caricature. They've made her human (or are trying to). If that means she looks weaker than most male protagonists, then that's because most male protagonists are blown sky-high out of proportion, and because they are in no way ever created to be close to real people.

LiquidGrape:
Always found it funny how male heroes in gaming are simply accepted as badasses the way they are. Even in the rare cases that they have some trauma which isn't related to some absentee father figure, they are depicted as capable and self-assured with no questions asked.
Their female counterparts, on the other hand, have always had to struggle with some external force holding them back; victimised for some abstract notion of "drama".
And seldom, if ever, to any meaningful effect.

Use of the word "always" makes me titter. Well, in many cases yes, but I guess that comes from this misguided notion that somehow women have to prove that they're capable. Well, they always have been. Also, your notion that male heroes are immediately self assured and female heroes always have to "struggle with some external force holding them back" is not true in every case. Although, isn't the idea of a hero to struggle against some external or internal force? Isn't that the basis for character development or, ya know... plot, and story?

So, in summary, men are just born awesome in video games and do great things simply because they exist but all women have to get beat on before they're given the right to be considered a hero in a story? See, there is where my problem lies. Well, I like my heroes to get beat on and prevail. Any hero should, man or woman. Hell, it ain't even about man or woman to me. It's just about a decent portrayal of a hero.

Although when it comes to Croft, who has been the predominant example of the portrayal of women in video games, I think this new portrayal of her is a good sign that video games can grow up.

Zhukov:

Revolutionaryloser:
I get that people are tired of "one-dimensional" characters, but that is just missing the forest for the trees because Lara Croft is one of the most complex and interesting characters ever, way ahead of her time.

Yeah, she's right up there with the Doom marine.

It's not often that I get a genuine belly laugh from a forum post, so congratulations.

OT, I'm looking forward to this. As crazy as it sounds, I like the idea of seeing a character actually develop and change, rather than starting the game as a rich, ass kicking badass, and ending the game in exactly the same state.

Kahunaburger:

BiggyShackleton:
It's an origin story.

Capitano Segnaposto:
It is an origin story.

On a related note: are there any "origin stories" that don't completely suck? Something seems off about the whole concept of "here is a story about a fun character before he/she was a fun character."

Rayman Origins

OT: I think it looks good, and I always prefer characters that I can Identify with, and up until now, Lara Croft was not one of them.

artanis_neravar:
Rayman Origins

Rayman has a story?

Griffon_Hawke179:

So, in summary, men are just born awesome in video games and do great things simply because they exist but all women have to get beat on before they're given the right to be considered a hero in a story? See, there is where my problem lies. Well, I like my heroes to get beat on and prevail. Any hero should, man or woman. Hell, it ain't even about man or woman to me. It's just about a decent portrayal of a hero.

Not every game is srs bsns. This is okay.

XMark:
I like the direction it's taking, but at the same time I think they're going overboard with the Lara abuse. Does she have adamantium bones or something? They might as well just call it "The Passion of the Croft".

Still, I'm hoping that we actually see her gradual transformation through the game and not just in a quickie ending cinematic. That would be awesome.

Lets be honest, we've all wanted to horribly punish Lara at some point out of frustration, throwing her off a cliff into some spikes when she pisses me off never stops being amusing. I mean, she's a bit of a bitch in all her incarnations, she's pretty much a pretentious dick to anyone she meets, I'll be glad to see her go through a bit of humility. The trailer dude was obviously venting.

On a more serious note, I'm liking the look of this new Tomb Raider, the fact they've pushed it back till March 2013 shows that they (hopefully) want to craft a really good game, and if they get the writing right, could be a really good origin story for Lara.

I think...I actually LIKE this Lara. I actually feel I could emotionally resonate with her on a level. Actually CARE about a video game character, which I haven't achieved since The Darkness in what...2007?
Dead excited for this. Just hope the gameplay can hold up.

Zhukov:

Revolutionaryloser:
I get that people are tired of "one-dimensional" characters, but that is just missing the forest for the trees because Lara Croft is one of the most complex and interesting characters ever, way ahead of her time.

Yeah, she's right up there with the Doom marine.

and you win a delicious cookie. made of laughter.
CAPTCHA: bless you . indeed, CAPTCHA, indeed.

Kahunaburger:

artanis_neravar:
Rayman Origins

Rayman has a story?

Indeed it does, it was a very interesting story too

I think we ought to wait to see more of the game before forming negative judgements. My reaction to the trailer in terms of character and tone was also somewhat unsure; as I'm mindful of the popular tradition in comic books going back the last few decades that the female heroes often have to suffer a rape or some cruel childhood abuse to get their hero stripes, or to be excused as a villain. And of course the advent of torture porn.

I think lots of the complaints are coming from the exploitative way in which the trailer was put together. You're sure to hear quite a bit of Lara yelping or whimpering when a three minute trailer is cut based on a primary theme of women under some kind of pain, distress, discomfort or peril.

I'd like to think this was done in order to make the atmosphere and the threat affecting, and was simply an unfortunate move on the part of the guys in charge of promotion to focus so much on it.

Because of the way it's presented, there's no way to be sure of how mindful the team is that the danger, action and drama is something that Lara is supposed to develope a taste for; and how attentively that will be implemented in the narrative.

Beside the potential danger of it turning out to be shallow or exploitative; I approve of the new direction.

Why does everybody insist on judging Lara as a hero?

Woodsey:

Revolutionaryloser:
snip

LiquidGrape:
snip

You ever heard someone with adrenaline going through them from a relatively normal injury or when they're coming face-to-face with a phobia? They don't sound far off from that, and those situations are generally quite a stretch away from being chased through a cave by a cannibalistic crazy-man.

As for your point about male heroes, we very rarely meet male heroes at the very beginning. Lara is straight out of university with this one. Think about it. Because right now, what you're saying is that you seriously believe that the best way to represent a female character (any character, even) is to make her a caricature like half of the retarded male protagonists we have to endure. That's what the old Lara Croft was, a caricature. They've made her human (or are trying to). If that means she looks weaker than most male protagonists, then that's because most male protagonists are blown sky-high out of proportion, and because they are in no way ever created to be close to real people.

Sorry to pull the wind out of your sails, but if you'd botgered to look its being developed by Crystal Dynamocs, which is a subsiduary od Square Enix.

Revolutionaryloser:
Sorry to pull the wind out of your sails, but if you'd botgered to look its being developed by Crystal Dynamocs, which is a subsiduary od Square Enix.

And the franchise has been in Crystal Dynamics' hands since 2003.

That's six years before Square Enix acquired Eidos, and through it Crystal Dynamics.

Saying that it's developed by Square Enix implies that it's made by one of their internal teams, rather than the one that has been doing Tomb Raider for the last nine years.

The new game is only going to work character wise if all the other games never happen afterwards. To be honest I don't like the look of it all that much. I was a great fan of the first 5 games and legend and underworld were ok I guess but this just looks like "Uncharted: Female Edition" (Ironic really since Uncharted basically started as "Tomb Raider: Male shooty edition")

Do you think Lara burst out the womb with a pistol in each hand, back flipped over a bear while shooting it in the head?

This is the story of how she became the Lara we know from the rest of the series..and it looks damn good!

artanis_neravar:

Kahunaburger:

artanis_neravar:
Rayman Origins

Rayman has a story?

Indeed it does, it was a very interesting story too

And on a scale of one to ten, how tonally consistent would you say the "story" of the rayman prequel is with the "story" of the rest of the series?

Revolutionaryloser:

Woodsey:

Revolutionaryloser:
snip

LiquidGrape:
snip

Yeah. It's being made by Crystal Dynamics. It's being published by Square Enix. So it's as 'made' by Square Enix as Human Revolution was. (Not at all.) It's been made by Crystal Dynamics for years now.

In fact, Square Enix said at E3 last year that their western developers had rather put their Japanese ones to shame, so that makes them even less likely to interfere.

So yeah, wind and sails, eh?

Revolutionaryloser:
snip

Heavily disagree with everything you said. This is Lara at her beginning. If you're arguing she's a well written character (which I'd raise an eyebrow to, but whatever), you can't argue that she was just born badass and that there was nothing leading up to that. That is in fact, one of the hallmarks of a BADLY written character.

Also, Square Enix is fucking brilliant, but they're a bit like Obsidian. You won't always get a super polished game out of them, but you'll often get really amazing gems that are more worth playing than dozens of other polished turds.

Oh and while I'm excited to see how the game will turn out, I was massively disappointed watching the trailer. Let's hope it's not a QTE fest all the way through, but that those are just the first level moments.

Woodsey:

Revolutionaryloser:

Woodsey:

Yeah. It's being made by Crystal Dynamics. It's being published by Square Enix. So it's as 'made' by Square Enix as Human Revolution was. (Not at all.) It's been made by Crystal Dynamics for years now.

In fact, Square Enix said at E3 last year that their western developers had rather put their Japanese ones to shame, so that makes them even less likely to interfere.

So yeah, wind and sails, eh?

Sorry, it seems I have to use small, simple words to communicate with you. Crystal Dynamics is owned by Square Enix. They are an office inside the Square Enix business. Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix are the same company. Now stop making a fool out of yourself and learn to google your information before blurting out nonsense.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked