Final Fantasy XIII-2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Did Final Fantasy XIII-2 sell well? It's been out for a long time and I never bothered to look anything up about it but I'm really curious cuz personally I hope it didn't. I really hope that it did so poorly that they consider ending the series all together.

Really, The Final Fantasy Series was great, it was better than great, but if they're going to keep making bad decisions then they should end the series before they ruin it. Square Enix needs to make some new series and drag it's name through the mud if they want to keep making bad games. Then at least Final Fantasy cand die with dignity before everyone's opinion of the series turns negative.

They can't let Final Fantasy die just yet, they need to release FF versus 13 first. Then they can kill FF.

To answer your question, according to vgchartz, just under 2 million sold.

GethBall:
They can't let Final Fantasy die just yet, they need to release FF versus 13 first. Then they can kill FF.

To answer your question, according to vgchartz, just under 2 million sold.

Thanks. That seems like a small number if that's global sales but probably more than enough to keep them thinking they're doing a good job. ^_^;;; Pity.

And now nobody needs to buy it ever again.

So, you hope that a franchise dies because you did not like some installments and did not even bother to inform yourself about the quality of the one you hoped had bad sales.

Why? Why with this installment and not with the far worse one: FF X? Do you just jump on the bandwagon that hates every direct sequel to a FF game without any logical reason?

My dad bouht me it, and I haven't played a FF game since X.

I had no idea what was going on.

As far as I know it's sold pretty decently, and it's much better received than its predecessor. I've heard from friends and read from critics that there are significant improvements with the game, so no it doesn't look like FF is going away any time soon. Square, like any other game company, will end FF when they can no longer make a profit on it.

XIII-2 was the game XIII should have been... which, in the words of Yahtzee, isn't really a point in its favor.

It played well, the story was a bloody mess up until the ending where it started raining a shit storm of stupid out its arse...

I am one of the unfortunate louts who preordered and paid full price for this tripe, so you can thank me for any increase in sales. or condemn me, either way is fair enough -.-

This is one game that has made me extremely wary of any new game purchase... now I regard every game as though it's gonna bite me...

Just bought it myself for 10. Shipped today!
I haven't had any love for the Final Fantasy series since FFX, but I reckon it's worth 10 in spite of being awful.

Though I don't think it sold as well as they thought it would. I remember prices dropping like crazy just a few weeks after it was released.

I bought it for 10 pounds as well ive been waiting for a price drop and I can pay that amount especially as I actually enjoyed XIII as well (eventually) still not going to buy any DLC though sod that.

I think its a bit of a myth that FF was great and is now crap when in truth the quality has always been sporadic and theres a lot of difference of opinion on what is a good/bad FF.

The worst FF (imo) is easily FFII it just has no redeeming features except Moogles maybe, that game was a slog I would have stopped playing if not for the sake of series completeness.

I'm actually not sure how well it sold, I think that it may not have though due to the fcat that they didn't promote it like they did the first final fantasy 13. This may have been becasue people who bought FF13 and enjoyed would have known about its release and then bought it. I do not think that it was the kind of game that Square enix wanted to bring in new customers with.

FF 13-2 did make some improvements.

-vanille and fang are gone
-the other original members either appear seldom or have their character completely revamped
-non linear
-no more hand holding for 30 hours
- Noel is much better than i thought he would be. i was expecting a male version of Pain pretty much, but Noel is actually one of the better characters in the entire series (although those fashion photos of him in expensive italian cloths made him look like a d bag). It is very unusual to see a young PRAGMATIC hero from any Japanese game, especially considering he had quite a few skeletons in his closet.
-interesting non-selfish villain (even if he does look a bit over the top)
-unlock roles much faster

of course, it would not be a SE game without shooting themselves in the foot

-DLC that makes no sense (N7 armor?)
-story is not as good as FF13 (im not too big on the "good god F'ed up, please help now")
-while you unlock roles fairly quickly, your characters are extremely limited in what skills from those roles they can use.
-syn sucks horrendously, if you dont use sentinel you literally can not beat the final boss.
-ending

course, some of those issues are nit picky. Overall, i like the....experience of FF13 better, but 13-2 had a more solid foundation. 13-2 at least showed that SE is capable of listening to criticism and adapt to try to placate them. not saying they succeeded, but hell at this point the "it is the thought that counts" is a step forward for them.

TheKasp:
So, you hope that a franchise dies because you did not like some installments and did not even bother to inform yourself about the quality of the one you hoped had bad sales.

Why? Why with this installment and not with the far worse one: FF X? Do you just jump on the bandwagon that hates every direct sequel to a FF game without any logical reason?

Not really. There's no banwagon about this. I didn't give Final Fantasy 13-2 a chance because it didn't deserve 1, why buy a sequal to something you have no interest in. I can understand if you might've liked Final Fantasy 13 but I really can't understand why people can like it over any other game in the series.

But even without comparing Final Fantasy 13 to any of the other games in the series it is simply a bad game.

Hard to follow story that's not interesting anyway, baddly made maps which are nothing but long worm holes of endless running in 1 direction without anything to do in them. Poor combat.

With exception to the summon battles every battle in the game is Press circle twice before a blue bar fills up and press L1 to heal and even the most randomly obscure random encounters take quite a long time. The only reason I got as far as I did in that game was because I had a turbo controler to fight the random battles for me.

Yes I've been told there's more to the battle system then that but this game gave me no motivation to care.

I actually got irritated when the random battles ended cuz I had to put my DS down and stop playing Pokemon to continue walking down those long endless halls because they curved slightly to the right or left just enough for me to be unable to multitask them.

Then there are the forgettable characters that you're not allowed to be interested in. Who were those people at the beginning of the game? Who cares cuz you never see them again. Who was that bad guy that was chasing you? Who cares because before you get to know him he dies and you never fight him but some random helicopter instead....cool I guess. Who was that lady that seemed kind of interesting that stole afro comic relief's son? Who cares, she died before you get to fight her too and you end up fighting some old guy who they just introduced...but then you kill him so he must not have been important either...

Honestly no one would know who the Turks were if they followed the same storytelling as Final Fantasy 13. I mean what the heck is the plot anyway, hehe! ^_^ Everyone relies on giant Sha'tar to do everything but the main characters got to close to one and got marked with a tran-stamp that will eventually turn them into zombies.

That storyline is ok but in my opinion they told the story so poorly that with such boring gameplay that I lost interest in the story and started skipping cut scenes cuz the option existed.

And that's the whole game. There's nothing more to it then that, I heard near the last chapter you can revist places you've already been but who cares. Everywhere I previously was were the same long boring worm tunnels.

That's why I hate Final Fantasy 13. It was just a bad game. ^_^ Hehe, and even trying to be interested in Final Fantasy 13-2 is like saying. "Well I didn't care for Hunger Games, maybe I'll like Catching Fire for no reason." No, that's dumb. If I don't care about the first game I'm not going to be interested in it's sequal.

When Final Fantasy 14 comes....

Excuse me. when Final Fantasy 15 comes out, maybe I'll give the series another shot. I definitly wont buy it on launch day. I'm going to research it until either my interest for the game is gone or I'm convinced it's at least worth playing.

Which (while may or may not be good per-say) were at least worth playing. Final Fantasy 11, 13, 13-2, 14, and any Crystal Chronicle Game after Crystal Chronicles WERE NOT.

^_^ If you actually read this far than bravo sir.

So just because you don't like a game series anymore, you hope it doesn't sell well so the series ends?...wow, no comment. By that logic, I hope Half-Life 3 doesn't come out because I didn't really enjoy HL2.

The game was vastly superior to 13, too bad people didn't give this game a chance, I thought it was really good (13 blew chunks) Because 13 was one of the most disappointing games of all time (bar Duke Nukem Forever) people didn't play 13-2 understandably, I didn't like 13 but I played this (borrowed from my sister who had borrowed it from another friend who received it from his boyfriend) and I was surprised at how much I was enjoying it (Anomaly puzzles except the floor one sucked balls)

The FF bandwagon hate is beginning to outweigh the people who actually hate the games for their faults, not because hating SE is popular.

DoubleU12:

TheKasp:

Not really. There's no banwagon about this. I didn't give Final Fantasy 13-2 a chance because it didn't deserve 1, why buy a sequal to something you have no interest in. I can understand if you might've liked Final Fantasy 13 but I really can't understand why people can like it over any other game in the series.

But even without comparing Final Fantasy 13 to any of the other games in the series it is simply a bad game.

Hard to follow story that's not interesting anyway, baddly made maps which are nothing but long worm holes of endless running in 1 direction without anything to do in them. Poor combat.

With exception to the summon battles every battle in the game is Press circle twice before a blue bar fills up and press L1 to heal and even the most randomly obscure random encounters take quite a long time. The only reason I got as far as I did in that game was because I had a turbo controler to fight the random battles for me.

Yes I've been told there's more to the battle system then that but this game gave me no motivation to care.

I actually got irritated when the random battles ended cuz I had to put my DS down and stop playing Pokemon to continue walking down those long endless halls because they curved slightly to the right or left just enough for me to be unable to multitask them.

Then there are the forgettable characters that you're not allowed to be interested in. Who were those people at the beginning of the game? Who cares cuz you never see them again. Who was that bad guy that was chasing you? Who cares because before you get to know him he dies and you never fight him but some random helicopter instead....cool I guess. Who was that lady that seemed kind of interesting that stole afro comic relief's son? Who cares, she died before you get to fight her too and you end up fighting some old guy who they just introduced...but then you kill him so he must not have been important either...

Honestly no one would know who the Turks were if they followed the same storytelling as Final Fantasy 13. I mean what the heck is the plot anyway, hehe! ^_^ Everyone relies on giant Sha'tar to do everything but the main characters got to close to one and got marked with a tran-stamp that will eventually turn them into zombies.

That storyline is ok but in my opinion they told the story so poorly that with such boring gameplay that I lost interest in the story and started skipping cut scenes cuz the option existed.

And that's the whole game. There's nothing more to it then that, I heard near the last chapter you can revist places you've already been but who cares. Everywhere I previously was were the same long boring worm tunnels.

That's why I hate Final Fantasy 13. It was just a bad game. ^_^ Hehe, and even trying to be interested in Final Fantasy 13-2 is like saying. "Well I didn't care for Hunger Games, maybe I'll like Catching Fire for no reason." No, that's dumb. If I don't care about the first game I'm not going to be interested in it's sequal.

Excuse me. when Final Fantasy 15 comes out, maybe I'll give the series another shot. I definitly wont buy it on launch day. I'm going to research it until either my interest for the game is gone or I'm convinced it's at least worth playing.

Which (while may or may not be good per-say) were at least worth playing. Final Fantasy 11, 13, 13-2, 14, and any Crystal Chronicle Game after Crystal Chronicles WERE NOT.

You got a lot of good points here but really, does anyone care about the FF series anymore? I feel like we're debating about a dead person.

Oh and I have to add, there is no fucking way FFX is anywhere near as bad as FF13.

Yosharian:
Oh and I have to add, there is no fucking way FFX is anywhere near as bad as FF13.

That's like debating whether getting kicked in the face or the groin is worse, in my opinion; one may or may not suck worse than the other, but you're better off just avoiding either, honestly.

Why, no, Final Fantasy X wasn't my cup of tea, actually. Why do you ask?

ReinWeisserRitter:

Yosharian:

That's like debating whether getting kicked in the face or the groin is worse, in my opinion; one may or may not suck worse than the other, but you're better off just avoiding either, honestly.

Well, that's possibly true, but there is definitely a distinction. FF13 is definitely the worst of the two, by a large margin.

DoubleU12:

Not really. There's no banwagon about this. I didn't give Final Fantasy 13-2 a chance because it didn't deserve 1, why buy a sequal to something you have no interest in.

Because that's what people who aren't interested do - make threads proclaiming how much they are disinterested in a game that they also hate...

Smells of troll to me.

OP: I enjoyed it. Have the plats for both XIII and XIII-2.
I've also played FF since the days of the NES.
I tend to look at things with an open mind, and wihout the auto-battle feature...

Meh, I hated FFXIII when I first played it, but it grew on me. I found myself enjoying it a lot more on my second playthrough. Definitely not my favourite, but I think it's better if you don't go in expecting to play a Final Fantasy game. FFXIII-2 actually annoyed me more, but that's mainly because most of the really high level end-game challenges you have to buy as DLC, and the fact that the story ended on a "To Be Continued" note, which sucked majorly. There are other little problems I have with it, but overall I wouldn't consider it that bad.

DoubleU12:
STAND ON THE SNIP!

Oh boy, you'd be surprised but there is a bandwagon on hating every FF game that has a "-2" at the end of it. You just seem like a reasonable disappointed player of 13 and I'd like to point out: I did not like 13. But like many others pointed out:

13-2 does improve on a ton of points. Nonlinear gameplay, engaging fast-paced combat and, a thing that many FF games fail to do: Likeable characters. I'll just point to Ryotknifes list.

Yosharian:

FF X is just a pile of shit. Linear shit full of unlikeable characters and a nonsensical plot. If someone started kicking me in the balls for 10h straight it would be a more enjoyable expirience than those few hours I tried to get into this shitpile of a game.

Sort of pisses the shit out of me is they have other franchises they could work on. Alright so just putting Final Fantasy on a box will make it sell, but for how long? Why not just leave it alone for awhile and focus on other big name titles. You know here is a thought, how about a god damn Dragon Quest game.(fingers crossed Eventually people are going to see a tainted product and steer clear. Really easy list of games they could do besides Final Fantasy.

1. Bouncer 2.
2. Einhander 2.
3. Chrono Trigger/Cross, or whatever they want to call it number 3.
4. Legend of Mana 3.
5. Secret of Evermore 2.

DoubleU12:
Did Final Fantasy XIII-2 sell well? It's been out for a long time and I never bothered to look anything up about it but I'm really curious cuz personally I hope it didn't. I really hope that it did so poorly that they consider ending the series all together.

Really, The Final Fantasy Series was great, it was better than great, but if they're going to keep making bad decisions then they should end the series before they ruin it. Square Enix needs to make some new series and drag it's name through the mud if they want to keep making bad games. Then at least Final Fantasy cand die with dignity before everyone's opinion of the series turns negative.

Taken from the Final Fantasy XIII-2 Wikipedia website:
"Final Fantasy XIII-2 received mostly positive reviews from video game journalists, which praised the game's graphics, lack of linearity and gameplay but criticized the story. During the first week of sales in Japan, the game sold 524,000 units and reached 1.1 million copies worldwide as of March 2012. Final Fantasy XIII-2 has become the fifth best-selling game of 2011 in Japan."
So, it did not do bad at all and if you ask my girlfriend, who has played almost every Final Fantasy, it's a fantastic game.

Your opinion =/= her opinion. Do not ask for the deaths of franchises simply because, YOU did not enjoy it. Don't think of your own taste in games to be 'better'.

s69-5:

OP: I enjoyed it. Have the plats for both XIII and XIII-2.
I've also played FF since the days of the NES.
I tend to look at things with an open mind, and wihout the auto-battle feature...

I did too and both were much fun for me

but I have to say that I think the english voices of some characters make them very annoying
and yes I played both in english and japanese ^^

the story rivals Final Fantasy VI which has the best story to date IMHO.

the graphics are nice but largely irrelevant to me as I'm mainly a PC gamer I'm accustomed to this level anyway^^

the gameplay was very boring the first 20 hours of FFXIII (except when in boss fights which were pretty hard <3) but in the end it was interesting and rewarding.
for FFXIII-2 it's different it was always interesting but way easier.

the characters are awesome though hope, vanille and even serah were annoying in english they were translated very directly which made them overenthusiastic or annoyingly whiny.

I hope very much for a FF XIII-3 (I haven't played through the secret ending so I don't know if there can be one)

Yosharian:

DoubleU12:

TheKasp:

You got a lot of good points here but really, does anyone care about the FF series anymore? I feel like we're debating about a dead person.

Of course people care. It's a long-running franchise of popular games. Regardless of some opinions about them, they manage to find an audience that enjoys them (such as myself), and that is FINE.

OP: Incidentally, I hated XIII-2.

It had NOTHING to do with XIII. I was hoping they would take what XIII did well and expand upon it. Nope.

DoubleU12:

The story of 13 to me was kind of like the story of 10. Only very bad. With poor explanation ofeverything. I'd rather have a few expositional cutscenes or playable flashbacks or something, anything, but throwing an encyclopedia on the menu every time I see anything new.

I want to play a game not read a book.

Also: 13 had an incredibly boring combat system.

Personally I love 3, 4, 7, 10, and 12 (it only gets hate for being different, if it had been a new IP and not FF it'd have been lapped up, kept me interested for the longest time of any game in the series). 8 and 9 are decent entries.

SkarKrow:

DoubleU12:

The story of 13 to me was kind of like the story of 10. Only very bad. With poor explanation ofeverything. I'd rather have a few expositional cutscenes or playable flashbacks or something, anything, but throwing an encyclopedia on the menu every time I see anything new.

This is what I don't understand. There are some valid reasons for disliking a game. FF13 was to linear for most of the game and some characters were a bit annoying. You might have liked or not liked the story, that is a matter of taste.

What is not valid however is saying the story is bad and things are poorly explained because you refused to read it. The details and story were there, easily accessible, in a format that allowed you to even go back over it if you didn't quite understand it the first time.

Put it this way, would you think that criticism of a book should be taken seriously if the reader skipped every second chapter?

Weird, I played this yesterday with my mate, had to force him to put it on. He's had it for about a month and put in 10 hours. He's an RPG freak and normally would have sunk at least 60+ hour by now. I was so disappointed by it, I barely felt in control during the battles. Just rubbish, Square should just admit they want to make films and get on with it.

I didn't mind it, infact I quite enjoyed it for the most part. Final Fantasy still has a huge player base for its games and saying kill off a franchise because of one dodgy game is ludicrous.

The story does fit in somewhat with what happened in XIII and leads onto another question for the next game. I ain't gonna complain about it, bought it for 30 and got 50+ hours out of it. Entertainment surplus really.

I don't know, Final Fantasy looks like it might be picking up again at least a bit. I mean, look at X-2 and XII, and then look at XIII and Versus XIII (haven't played/don't know much about XIII-2 yet). It seems like they're at least trying to make the franchise good again. They just need to get rid of XIII's linearity. I'm still hopeful for now. I suppose we'll just have to wait for XV to decide.

XIII-2 is far and away better than 13. Like absurdly so, they've really fixed a load of problems and made the gameplay entertaining and the story (as confusing as it may be) compelling enough that I actually wanted to keep playing, as opposed to 13 where the game was a chore for the first 20~ hours.

pyrate:

This is what I don't understand. There are some valid reasons for disliking a game. FF13 was to linear for most of the game and some characters were a bit annoying. You might have liked or not liked the story, that is a matter of taste.

What is not valid however is saying the story is bad and things are poorly explained because you refused to read it. The details and story were there, easily accessible, in a format that allowed you to even go back over it if you didn't quite understand it the first time.

Put it this way, would you think that criticism of a book should be taken seriously if the reader skipped every second chapter?

I agree that the story was there but I just don't think it was all that accessible, it really did take effort to work out what the hell was going on in 13. To be honest the amount of terms the game threw at you in the first 20 minutes did get a bit overwhelming. And it took me ages to work out how cocoon was physically structured.

pyrate:

No the book should not be criticised but thats not what I'm saying. I'd much rather, when playing a game, have some more exposition in cutscenes or gameplay than be handed a glossary. It is helpful to have that information to go back over and check up on details but it shouldn't be necessary to fully grasp the story, in FFX and FFXII I didn't have to read up on everything to understand what was going on.

FFXII did however also hand you a glossary, but it wasn't needed to understand everything that was going on and it was fascinating.

The story isn't bad and poorly explained because I refused to read it, because I did read it. I'd rather have had explanations in game without having to break away to read it all. Even then I found the story bland and poorly told relative to certain other games in the franchise.

In the grand scheme of things FF13 is not awful. It just isn't as good as it could have been, bigger issues with the game were the crushing linearity (at least FFX opened up near the end and had some extra areas to explore for fun), the combat system was just dull in a bizaarely hypnotic autonomous way.

FF13 was a disappointment and a relatively poor final fantasy. Overall it was worth playing but a lot of aspects of the game cuold have been handled much better.

Also, semi OT: just got 13-2 and the hardback of the guide for 17. I love amazon.

Suave Charlie:

pyrate:

I agree that the story was there but I just don't think it was all that accessible, it really did take effort to work out what the hell was going on in 13. To be honest the amount of terms the game threw at you in the first 20 minutes did get a bit overwhelming. And it took me ages to work out how cocoon was physically structured.

Yeah exactly, it wasn't accessible, it'd have been nicer to have had it all woven into the narrative, maybe an explanation in a cutscene rather than a glossary would have been nice. Previous entries did just fine at that and I think it was a step back for square.

SkarKrow:

Suave Charlie:

pyrate:
-SNIP-

Yeah exactly, it wasn't accessible, it'd have been nicer to have had it all woven into the narrative, maybe an explanation in a cutscene rather than a glossary would have been nice. Previous entries did just fine at that and I think it was a step back for square.

interesting I heard that often.
I somehow never had a problem to keep up and understood nearly immediately how everything fit together.
and I never had to read the glossary, though I did for stuff like Psicom.

kabooz18:

SkarKrow:

Suave Charlie:

interesting I heard that often.
I somehow never had a problem to keep up and understood nearly immediately how everything fit together.
and I never had to read the glossary, though I did for stuff like Psicom.

I got a good idea of what was happening but the experience would have been all the richer and more delicious for some exposition woven into narrative and gameplay, as had been the case with alot of previous Squeenix titles.

On a related note I would love for all RPG's from now on to have a "mark all as read" option like Dragon Age. I do not like the flashing "NEW!" emblems they make my OCD go into overdrive.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked