Elder Scrolls or Fallout?
Elder Scrolls
44.8% (236)
44.8% (236)
Fallout
54.8% (289)
54.8% (289)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Hey Bethesda fans, Elder Scrolls or Fallout?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Well, Bethesda have only developed one Fallout game, so I'm not really sure I can say much about their use of the IP. Meanwhile The Elder Scrolls just doesn't do much for me - I played Oblivion for ages I admit, probably hundreds of hours, but not once have I completed the main quest. Meanwhile Skyrim just didn't grab me at all, I couldn't see what the fuss was about. Then it caused my laptop to overheat to the point where I developed a burn on my upper leg.

Easily Fallout. You get the post-apoc world with the retro-50s future asthetic, decisions that actually matter, and bitchin weapons. Or the blandy fantasy world that's basically identical to ten dozen other blandy fantasy worlds, no real decisions, and a bunch of grindy skills. Tough one.

I enjoyed Skyrim, but it's more of a time killer than a compelling RPG. I compare it to playing minesweeper, or masturbating.

How can the elder scrolls be losing?! Morrowind, people... MORROWIND!!

Fallout narrowly wins, and only if New Vegas is counted. It's a more original setting.

The day someone in Tamriel offers me 20 mininukes, a Fat Man to fire them with, and tells me to "Fuck the dragon up" is the day I choose TES over Fallout.

I cannot answer this until I see what the next Fallout will look and play like.

If they can just Skyrimify the next Fallout-better graphics and combat, etc- I'm sure I'd go with that.

triggrhappy94:
It's almost impossible to choose.
Can I just say both?

I agree. Where's the "I like them both equally" option?

Well I only played Morrowind and hated it, but loved both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so Fallout for me.

I reckon Fallout is better out of the box (except New Vegas was a bit of a mess really), and Id rather play Vanilla Fallout 3 over anything else. If mods come into play though, then TES takes the title, much greater in terms of mod support, especially for Oblivion which had its fair share of issues without them.

Fallout. Combat, presentation, & aesthetic are way better than TES. I like Skyrim, love oblivion, the setting is great, but there is a reason i only play thieves in TES. f i were to pick one for RP purpose i would go with TES. I can get more freedom in that society & that mechanical setup than Fallout. I just don't feel as if i were being led by the nose to the end of the game. While both will tell you and keep the story mission in the logs, you just have less to do in fallout. I can skip the story of any TES game and be whatever. For the most part i will have plenty to do. But in Fallout? Exploration will likely get me murdered by nightstalkers or deathclaws. Thievery? no need to make a career out of it. I would love to get as enthralled with the Fallout world as i do with TES but that would require a new FO game. One that gave me more to do. One with a solid country to base out of.
Much as i love stealing every single thing of value from the land of Skyrim/Cyrodil; i have to give concede a draw. Combat has more weight in FO but its still not something that gets me. RP in TES is great but it still leaves you ignoring combat due to its ease & simplicity. Exploration in TES is the better of the two but again, combat leaves you with a lackluster experience. So i leave it at a draw. I guess i give the edge to TES because i do enjoy my work for the Thieves Guild.

Fallout. Its setting is more original, and more interesting to me. I just can't get into the lore of TES.

Elder Scrolls. I just prefer the that world.

Though I think they spend much more time on the Elder Scrolls series. Fallout 3 just does not compare to Oblivion or Skyrim in terms of amount of content.

Moriim:

Jamash:
Even the inhabited areas were a mess. I understand that people's morale may be low and their motivation may be lacking, but that's no excuse for not cleaning and living in filth.

So much this. I have trouble immersing myself in the world when it's so ridiculously over the top with the apocalypse stuff. It's been, what, 200+ years since the nuclear war in that game? And not a single damn clean surface in sight. I'm not asking for Pine-Sol'd floors, but damn at least clear the random crap out of your house so you don't attract Radroaches or some crap.

TES has its issues, but I can get drawn into the setting much more easily than Fallout. Which is strange, considering Fallout is at least partially set in reality and should be more relatable.

/shrug

Really? Honestly my reaction to this was the complete opposite. The fact that the people of the Wasteland didn't even feel like picking up the random trash around them only helped to reinforce the depressing atmosphere and brutal nature of the Wasteland. After all, why bother tidying up when you could be dead tomorrow? Might as well just live for the day and all that.

ShotgunZombie:

Moriim:

Jamash:
Even the inhabited areas were a mess. I understand that people's morale may be low and their motivation may be lacking, but that's no excuse for not cleaning and living in filth.

So much this. I have trouble immersing myself in the world when it's so ridiculously over the top with the apocalypse stuff. It's been, what, 200+ years since the nuclear war in that game? And not a single damn clean surface in sight. I'm not asking for Pine-Sol'd floors, but damn at least clear the random crap out of your house so you don't attract Radroaches or some crap.

TES has its issues, but I can get drawn into the setting much more easily than Fallout. Which is strange, considering Fallout is at least partially set in reality and should be more relatable.

/shrug

Really? Honestly my reaction to this was the complete opposite. The fact that the people of the Wasteland didn't even feel like picking up the random trash around them only helped to reinforce the depressing atmosphere and brutal nature of the Wasteland. After all, why bother tidying up when you could be dead tomorrow? Might as well just live for the day and all that.

See, that's the same problem I have with the Warhammer 40K universe. If there is no hope, then there is no reason for living, so why would one want to be a part of such a universe?

Buretsu:

ShotgunZombie:

Moriim:

/shrug

See, that's the same problem I have with the Warhammer 40K universe. If there is no hope, then there is no reason for living, so why would one want to be a part of such a universe?

It's interesting that you would bring up Warhammer 40K because I can actually use it as example to answer your question. In Warhammer 40K the people keep on fighting (and living) because the alternative is much, much worse. Namely getting raped (literally, metaphorically, and psychologically) by Daemons, Xenos, heretics, Orks, Tyrannids (the resident Zergs) and or any combination thereof. The same logic can also be applied to Fallout. You don't feel like fighting? Enjoy getting raped, killed or sold by Bandits. Or turned into a Super Mutant against your will. Or dying a slow and painful radiation based death. Though I'll admit that ultimately it comes down to taste, some players just like the dystopian, post apocalyptic settings, and having to fight for every inch of their journey. I count myself among them.

I've always found TES to be just much deeper and enjoyable games to play. I mean, most people don't even seem to have a name in Fallout 3 or NV; it's just Megaton Settler #15. Don't get me wrong, the games are loads of fun, and it's nice playing a shooter that also has some good RPG elements, but TES has that right amount of extra detail in it that i find extremely appealing.

ShotgunZombie:

Buretsu:

ShotgunZombie:

It's interesting that you would bring up Warhammer 40K because I can actually use it as example to answer your question. In Warhammer 40K the people keep on fighting (and living) because the alternative is much, much worse. Namely getting raped (literally, metaphorically, and psychologically) by Daemons, Xenos, heretics, Orks, Tyrannids (the resident Zergs) and or any combination thereof. The same logic can also be applied to Fallout. You don't feel like fighting? Enjoy getting raped, killed or sold by Bandits. Or turned into a Super Mutant against your will. Or dying a slow and painful radiation based death. Though I'll admit that ultimately it comes down to taste, some players just like the dystopian, post apocalyptic settings, and having to fight for every inch of their journey. I count myself among them.

Yeah, I'd probably kill myself if I ever had to live in a universe like that.

For sheer fuckaroundability I'd have to go with the elder scrolls. I absolutely adore Fallout 3 and New Vegas (bugs and all), but no other game captures that right environment, the one that completely engrosses you and results in you travelling to that point in the distance or going into just one more cave. Skyrim perfectly encapsulated this enjoyment and is by far, the best that has come out of Bethesda (Fallout 3's story was better, but all in all Skyrim is a better package).

Like I said it ultimately comes down to taste and these kinds of settings seem to be tailored to players who want constant conflict. Or at least that's the way that I look at it but who knows really?

Buretsu:

ShotgunZombie:

Buretsu:

Yeah, I'd probably kill myself if I ever had to live in a universe like that.

In most situations, death by radiation would not likely result in a slow death. I mean if the person is going to stop caring, they're probably going to die relatively quickly due to the lack of attention, thus enabling a quick, though unpleasant, death. Me, I'd attempt to go on another day, just being alive in a world like that would have to be an accomplishment and I'd like to think that any impact made on the world, for good or ill would be better than lying down and accepting the inevitable. I love fallout by the way, but picked the Elder Scrolls.

Going Fallout on this one. Skyrim was nice and all, but Fallout 3 and New Vegas just enraptured me thoroughly, while the Elder Scrolls titles I have played leave me wanting something...more. And no, I'm not talking about spears, or mods, or anything like that, I just saying, in their raw game form, I prefer the Fallout games. Mostly, because of either a) The Gauss Rifle, or b) the Tesla Cannon. I never get sick of using either of those guns, and Skyrim just doesn't have anything to match it.

Jedoro:
Fallout

I have yet to find a spell/sword/bow/axe that's been more satisfying to use than a shotgun.

Or a gun that shoots explosive lightning of the quality that makes Zeus feel impotent.

Elder Scrolls. Not even a question for me.

I've always loved Elder Scrolls ever since Oblivion. I was familiar with it before; I found Morrowind unassumingly sitting on a shelf of a used game store. Had no idea what it was at the time but I enjoyed it despite not really being able to get in to it. That was a good time before they announced Oblivion. When Oblivion came out I easily got lost in it and the rest is history.

I bought Fallout 3 when it came out with quite high expectations because I loved Oblivion so much, but I was highly disappointed. By then the game engine had started to age and the game felt way too similar to Oblivion to me, except without all the stuff I liked about it. Instead in its place we had guns in a system which wasn't designed for their use, and brown rubble as far as the eye can see. My god, so much brown! I sold the game shortly after.

So yeah, no contest.

Elder Scrolls.
My favourite of the games available is New Vegas, but it wasn't a Bethesda game. Obsidian were the developers.
I didn't like Fallout 3 all that much though. Oblivion was... alright, Skyrim's fairly decent, and Morrowind was wonderful. Overall, have to go with TES.

I'll give it to Fallout by about...200 miles.
I just can't get into Elder Scrolls. At all. 30 hours in Skyrim is a miracle by my standards.

Fallout....there's just something about it I love more. Maybe it's the guns. I dunno.

I love them both so much. Its like choosing between your hands or your tongue, but in a life or death situation I'd probably go for Elder Scrolls..... just for the fond memories

new vegas was arguably the best Bethesda game they ever made.

For me I started with the third instalment of each series, so I'll pick Fallout because I consistently enjoyed them. I hated Oblivion. Morrowind, great. skyrim, great. Oblivion, terrible.

Fallout, because I can use either a nuke launcher, or a flaming sword, depending on my mood.

kingthrall:
new vegas was arguably the best Bethesda game they ever made.

Sorry double post, but that might be because they didnt make it?

It was made by Obsidian and published by Bethesda.

I voted for Fallout because it's not all boring all of the time.

I've never had any fun with the Elder Scrolls series, but I've had tons with the Fallout games.

I prefer TES, I just love a good medieval-ish fantasy setting. I love both games and have sinked more hours than what any of my real life friends would think is healthy, but damnit I love those games.

Mods are amazing for TES and Fallout too~

Elder Scrolls. I just can't get interested in Fallout at all honestly. From the gameplay to the setting.

Fallout
- The Lore is Fascinating
- Combat is better than Elder Scrolls (i've only played Morrowind and Oblivion)
- Dark Humor
- The Music
- I enjoy Post-Apocalypse more than Fantasy

It's a close one but probably Elder Scrolls for me.
I love FO3 but NV was slightly disappointing without mods. Although i'm hoping the next fallout will be as good as Skyrim.

Infact Skryim automatically wins best Bethesda game for me simply because it has an animation for running diagonally, instead of the hilarious ice skating from previous games.

I also prefer exploring in Elder Scrolls games.
The first time playing fallout 3 was amazing but on replays EVERYTHING is the same greyed out wasteland or subways.
Even the more hostile and desolate places in Skryim are a thrilling to look at.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked