"Now we're playing!"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Do you ever play a game that's fairly simple to you? And I don't mean that it's easy, but it's the kind of game where it's relatively easy if you know what to do and the controls are good. Sometimes you even handicap yourself to make it a challenge. You may even simply toy with your opponents and put on a spectacle. Though fun, it starts to feel routine, but then the difficulty takes it up a notch.

Some powerful or skillful opponent, boss, or mob of enemies appear in the story, and you're actually getting hurt fairly badly, and it's then you realize with glee that you can stop holding back and use every overpowered tactic in the book, then what follows is an epic clash of equally-matched opponents.

You ever have those moments?

I can name a few fighting games that have done that. In Clash of Ninja Revolution 3, the level 3 opponents started becoming predictable. Then I put it at 4, the highest difficulty, and I had to stop showing off and play seriously. Then it was anyone's game.

FPSs like DOOM 3 where I keep all my BFG ammo until the last boss, then I can't use the gun on the boss...

In Skyrim when I was skill grinding I was working on my light armor skill. And somehow I ended up doing some fairly difficult quest.

I got to the end where I encountered a Draugr Death Overlord (I think that's what he was called) I started taking massive damage so I switched back to my Heavy Deadric and started hacking and slashing away with my Enchanted Deadric Sword. Still it was very difficult and by the end of the contest i had used most of my health potions, and my health was at about 1/4 and mana was completely drained from both health spells and many a fire bolts.

I was quite satisfied at the challenge by the end of my quest, though Lydia wasn't so happy, even with in Full Dragon Armor and the best weaponry she still went down several times during the melee.

I believe that's the only real interesting moment i've had.

Matthew94:
FPSs like DOOM 3 where I keep all my BFG ammo until the last boss, then I can't use the gun on the boss...

That's not quite the same, because that's anticipated. If the last boss came as a surprise, and you were happy to finally fight someone in which you NEEDED to use the BFG, that would be an example.

Karutomaru:

Matthew94:

That's not quite the same, because that's anticipated. If the last boss came as a surprise, and you were happy to finally fight someone in which you NEEDED to use the BFG, that would be an example.

Sue me.

Another example then... In STALKER CS I had tons of ammo building up for my M4, it was weighing me down too much. I came to a city and there were a shit-ton of enemies in the area and I just let rip, by the end of the area I was down to using my handgun and was scavenging for ammo again.

Is that better?

Yes.

This is not a low content post. Those 3 letters were all that needed to be said, as the previous person asked a yes or no question, limiting my options of response.

I've been playing Alan Wake (yeah, late to the party).

I get into fights with Taken often but usually don't use my flash-bangs or flare gun because they're so powerful and I get a case of the "what if something big is around the corner"-itis. When I then get into a big pickle and get myself surrounded, I remember that I don't use those items and therefore, I have a ton of them. One flash-bang later and the five taken around me are ash.

Same kind of thing happens in Assassins Creed for me. 'SHIT! Guards all around...wait, I have smoke bombs!' Never really use them but when you're about to get skewered because you made a mistake and have a bunch of guards around you, they're really nice to have to make a quick escape (or a bunch of kills; evidently guards don't take to smoke well and cough for twenty seconds defenseless to my blade).

That one bit in Bioshock 2 where you get attacked by two Big Sisters. On the hard difficulty.

"Shoot! Shoot all the bullets of everything!"

Zhukov:
That one bit in Bioshock 2 where you get attacked by two Big Sisters. On the hard difficulty.

That sounds more like panic than glee.

Karutomaru:

Zhukov:

That sounds more like panic than glee.

If you say so.

Either way, it was fun to finally run into an encounter that justified spraying the room with armour-piercing bullets, lobbing explosives in every direction, then busting out the incendiary buckshot and firing up the drill.

This sometimes happens when I play 8 player skirmishes with AI in HOMM 3 or 5.
Eventually everyone else dies and its a showdown between me and an AI, with both armies at ridiculous numbers. Even when I lose, the fight is satisfying.

The final battles against Vergil and Jeane in DMC3 and Bayonetta respectively.
Sure, both games are fairly challenging anyway, but once you get into the rhythm of it, you can just cruise on through. Then the final fights come along. While they may not be the hardest fights in gaming ever, hell, Vergil probably isn't the hardest fight unless you're on a really hard difficulty, it's damn fun to have to give it your all.

Ronaldo at the JP's Nagoya branch from Devil Survivor 2 oh good god by the skin of my fucking teeth I won through pure luck (intense as hell) and I guess all the Septenitrones count as well.

Karutomaru:
Do you ever play a game that's fairly simple to you? And I don't mean that it's easy, but it's the kind of game where it's relatively easy if you know what to do and the controls are good. Sometimes you even handicap yourself to make it a challenge. You may even simply toy with your opponents and put on a spectacle. Though fun, it starts to feel routine, but then the difficulty takes it up a notch.

Some powerful or skillful opponent, boss, or mob of enemies appear in the story, and you're actually getting hurt fairly badly, and it's then you realize with glee that you can stop holding back and use every overpowered tactic in the book, then what follows is an epic clash of equally-matched opponents.

You ever have those moments?

I can name a few fighting games that have done that. In Clash of Ninja Revolution 3, the level 3 opponents started becoming predictable. Then I put it at 4, the highest difficulty, and I had to stop showing off and play seriously. Then it was anyone's game.

Oh, god, pretty much any Naruto fighting game. You just get to the point where you've basically mastered countering, so perfect victories come easily. Then you jack the difficulty to max and if you miss a beat even once, you get taken to school by the computer. Love that! Keeps you on your toes. Going back to an easier difficulty afterwards feels slow and unfun.

Yeah. It's like Naruto is some kind of shonen series.

In FF7 I never ever used any of the one use spell cast items (Dirty socks that cast Bio ect) so I had a TON of them clogging up my inventory.

When I was trying to beat the arena at the golden saucer for the Omnislash limit break, those all came in great handy when you start getting frogged, blinded, shrunk or otherwise rendered physically useless.

Well this is not exactly the same, because it wasn't much of a matter of skill, but I always got excited while playing The Legend of Dragoon when a boss popped up that was strong enough for me to justify using the Dragoon State.

irmasterlol:
Well this is not exactly the same, because it wasn't much of a matter of skill, but I always got excited while playing The Legend of Dragoon when a boss popped up that was strong enough for me to justify using the Dragoon State.

It kind of is.

Coincidentally, like the opening post image, even when I'm being serious I like to finish things with something flashy or charged. However, that usually works because I've knocked them so far away, they run right into it when it's ready to strike.

Shield and sword Thug at the top of the hill in Dragon's Dogma.

I'm lvl 7, just killed an Ogre and hear tale that the stupid ---- Quina ran off into the Forest. I've never used a freaking herb before and have been wearing skanky clothing since the option apeeared valid.

This angry piece of Tripe killed me 16 times, forced me to cover my goodies, and grind on some goblins just to get passed him. By then it was midnight and the wolves came......

I thought I had that moment in FF13 when I finally saw a justification to summon Lightning's Odin.

And then his damage turned out to be...rather shit. Woopsy.

But as been mentioned already, Bioshock had a couple of moments like that. Both the first and second game had me saving up ammo and EVE to finally let it all out in one fight. Same thing applies for Serious Sam and Painkiller games.

Also, when I still played quite a few RTS games I usually saved the more expensive, powerful units for when shit really got tough. Or I finally saw a justification (though honestly, who needs one) to build a few Clone Vats in Red Alert 2 and swamp the enemy with a metric fuckton of Conscripts. You're trying to make my life hard? Prepare to drown in easily expendable human flesh!

In morrowind the final boss of mournhold, kicked my ass once. Then it was like, allright, gloves off, dipping into my stack of potions and activating artifacts that where pretty much sitting pretty for all other times. lets see who is lord nerevar here.

Possessed Riku vs Sora, Kingdom Hearts 1.
Jehuty vs Anubis, Zone of the Enders 2.
My roommates vs. me, Soul Calibur 2.
A LOT of the original Deus Ex.

As has been said previously Bioshock had a lot of this mainly in terms of the chemical thrower for me save up enough ammo for that thing then in one fight just coat everything in napalm ... Good times

And I suppose I find myself doing this in Dark souls more out of neccesity than anything else cause boy do you need that sweet sweet estus for the boss fights

Love that you used Berserker to start this thread.

OT: RE4 on my second playthrough on the harder difficulty, it became trivial to the point where I only allowed myself to use the starting pistol for the sake of a challenge. Every once in a while, there'd be a time where a dozen or so villagers would swarm me all at once and I'd get to pull out that trusty TMP...

In Ultima Online I nearly always just used a wooden kris with some leather cheap leather armor under my robe. Well, the kris had the deadliest poison on it and as long as you did not come up with some powerfull EQ I could survive long enough untill you die to my poison.

When shit got real I took my magical leather armor and my golden kris with the deadliest poison. I could survive longer and melee damage was worth shit.

Edit: God is the picture stupid. Why is everything perfectly lighted but his face black?

Quingfang:

OT: RE4 on my second playthrough on the harder difficulty, it became trivial to the point where I only allowed myself to use the starting pistol for the sake of a challenge. Every once in a while, there'd be a time where a dozen or so villagers would swarm me all at once and I'd get to pull out that trusty TMP...

What the... You've been a member since 2009, but this is your first post? Were you in a coma????

Yes I know that's off-topic.

Resonance of Fate, Neverland Dungeon. You just stun-lock everything using Hero Actions because if someone hits you even once, it's gonna hurt. The story battles are easy as pie though.

I was playing Dark Souls and I spent hours (like seriously 20+ hours) grinding until I could fully upgrade a weapon and fuck people up with it big time... I pretty much breezed through the depths past Quellog back up and through Sen's 2 hit killing everything in my path and perfecting strategies for specific encounters until I was practically dancing through encounters to the beat playing out my headphones... At least it was like that until I reached Anor Londo and discovered you couldn't back stab those giant metal motherfuckers or the lightning throwing bat things and that if I was made to fight more than 2 of those white guys I got horribly beaten since my magic was useless against them and finally climbing the building with those arrow guys was... er... fun...

That was bad but eventually when I got more appropriate weapons it was back to dancing, albeit not as gracefully, until I came across Smough and found out only magic works well... But I persevered, defeated him got the lord vessel and so forth and boldly strolled into the dukes archive... That was when Dark Souls officially beat me...

hazabaza1:
The final battles against Vergil and Jeane in DMC3 and Bayonetta respectively.
Sure, both games are fairly challenging anyway, but once you get into the rhythm of it, you can just cruise on through. Then the final fights come along. While they may not be the hardest fights in gaming ever, hell, Vergil probably isn't the hardest fight unless you're on a really hard difficulty, it's damn fun to have to give it your all.

Oh, Vergil...the final battle against him was actually a breath of fresh air after THAT DAMN SON OF A BITCH ARKHAM. Arkham is the hardest boss in the game, hands down, if only because your bro shows up to "help" or rather to confuse the hell out of you and steal your special abilities (considering I had Quicksilver on when he showed up the first time, I lost in nanoseconds afterwards). Well, there are also the mega homing missiles of doom and the tentacles of pain the swings around casually. I've beaten the game a dozen times, at least 3-4 on Dante Must Die and yet, Arkham is still the worst thing I've faced. Yes, even the Damned Chess (not me swearing at it - that's its actual name) is preferable. Vergil I beat in 3-4 tries the first time - just enough to see his new tricks and plan accordingly.

Anyway, with that aside - Heroes 3. It is just so satisfying to finally corner the motherfucker who has been evading you and causing havoc in your lands - both because you want revenge, and because he's the only one left who you'll actually have fun fighting. And then rip him apart with everything you've got. Especially gratifying to Armageddon him to hell if you can afford it.

Karutomaru:

Quingfang:

What the... You've been a member since 2009, but this is your first post? Were you in a coma????

Yes I know that's off-topic.

I'm terribly shy. Almost as shy as... how shy I feel like Age of Empires II: The Conquerors when I feel the need to ignore the AI's pathetic attempts at expanding their civilizations, rather than just stomping them out, so I can feel a greater sense of accomplishment when I inevitably defeat them. I'm on topic...

In Pokemon, when the gym leader pulls out their final Pokemon, and you sort of can't beat it.

Most of the mini boss fights in Xenoblade Chronicles, I tend to never use the chain attack skill on regular enemies, but once those mini bosses appear, oh man, its on. I found (by pure luck) what seems to be the best strategy for using a chain effectively, and can destroy half the health of the boss in one go, and then leaving them stunned for a good 6 seconds afterwards, giving me enough time to chain up another chain attack to finish them off. Love it

Except the ones with that spike thing, fuck spikes

Smash Bros. Brawl.

When I got that game, I played it non-stop for three days. Beat the story, got all of the characters, every achievement, you name it. Everything seems like a chore to me now.

Of course, since my little sister goes to a daycare, I usually go with her and challenge everyone to brawl.

I win. Every time. There are a couple of people that pose an interesting challenge, but they stand no chance against my 10 years of experience playing the series.

It makes me feel like a king.

neonsword13-ops:
Smash Bros. Brawl.

When I got that game, I played it non-stop for three days. Beat the story, got all of the characters, every achievement, you name it. Everything seems like a chore to me now.

Of course, since my little sister goes to a daycare, I usually go with her and challenge everyone to brawl.

I win. Every time. There are a couple of people that pose an interesting challenge, but they stand no chance against my 10 years of experience playing the series.

It makes me feel like a king.

Now you just need to fight someone who is actually a challenge and you'll be able to give us an actual example.

I do this in every single game I play, but the most recent is Arkham City it's so easy i just stand there sometimes and press counter.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked