Watch Dogs Reception?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

What does everyone think of Watch Dogs? After watching the E3 gameplay, I think it looks absolutely incredible. I think if it is executed well, it will be a top seller. I am really excited for it. What do you think?

The graphics look good but I fear it may just be another cover based 3rd person free roaming game.

I'm going to follow it's development but I won't expect much.

I'm looking forward when this game releases on this gens consoles and people will realise that the footage shown is not the level of visual fidelity people will get with this gen consoles.

On the game itself: Interesting. I'm not getting hyped for it because the trailer went in the end into coverbased healthregen shootout boredom. Have to see what options you'll get.

Also: Ubisoft. Who wants to bet how they'll fuck up the PC version with stupid ass DRM?

Matthew94:
The graphics look good but I fear it may just be another cover based 3rd person free roaming game.

i think that itll be a GTA clone but with the obvious powers

you cant really go wrong with what i just said although i love the GTA series. its all down to the mission diversity (ill admit being a GTA fan is a weak point of GTA). itll also be down to freedom giving you the option to explore the city and more importantly fully explore your powers

I have a policy of never believing gameplay videos from E3. I'll wait for the reviews to roll in before I give this much attention. If the shooting is only a small part of the game, as opposed to its primary element, then I'll get excited.

So yeah i watched a mini demo from E3 and it does look kinda awesome, i love that ubi is making new I.P. and im sure with their track record it'll be a good game. However what i wanna know is why isnt this game assassins creed x, i mean the whole set up of assassins creed is just dieing for a modern day/futureistic game and i can't help but feel thats what watch dogs started off as because the footage i watched has the main guy sneaking around and setting up situations where in he can then assassinate somone.

It looked really cool until the protagonist pulled a gun and crouched behind a chest-high wall.

It looks very interesting, but it has 'convoluted conspiracy' written all over it.

It'll be Assassin's Creed all over again.

Look decent, might get it depending on the reviews, didn't get much of an impression from the demo. Hope it does well though, we need new IP's.

I found the E3 demo lacking of info, so I'm not that exited by it.
He hacked stuff like, three times? Yeah, that's not exactly thrilling.

Matthew94:

My thoughts exactly. I was extremely intrigued by the premise trailer but then I saw the actual gameplay trailer and was much less enthused. Sure the visuals are fantastic, but the gameplay looks been there and done that. The special abilities your character has just came across as slightly fancier looking versions of stuff you can already do in a ton of other games. Target driving, hack the traffic light. Need distraction, interupt PC or cellphone service. Need to find target, scan bystanders. Etc.

Kahunaburger:
It looked really cool until the protagonist pulled a gun and crouched behind a chest-high wall.

They're chest high cars. Geez..... get it right.

OT: Looks interesting but I think it's just going to be another GTA clone.

Voice acting sounded good though.

I'm really looking forward to it. Let's see what we get when it comes out.

Looks awesome, but I'm looking forward to Dishonored though

Best of E3 in my opinion. Can't wait for it.

Fucking loved it. If the developers can actually pull off what the trailers were advertising, essential a game where you can manipulate any all electronic objects to your whims, then I think we have a GOTY on our hands. Sadly, only time will tell.

Looks pretty good. By comparison to a majority of games I've seen at E3 it certainly seems like a prospective buy.

I really do like the premise of it though. The idea that so much data is collected on the average human that they their identity is reduced to simply that, data. It has a nice post-modern feel about it in that, it's a pretty realistic thing that can (and maybe is) taking place right now.

What I would absolutely love in this game would be if at some point it would break the fourth wall and mess around with (or give the appearance of genuinely messing with) your system. :D Seems like the perfect game to do such a thing, but it probably won't.

AwkwardTurtle:
What I would absolutely love in this game would be if at some point it would break the fourth wall and mess around with (or give the appearance of genuinely messing with) your system. :D Seems like the perfect game to do such a thing, but it probably won't.

I wouldn't mind a Psycho Mantis/Scarecrow moment at all... but it's just one of those things you don't really ask for.

Now what I'm really interested in is how the narrative is tied into the multiplayer revealed at the end of the demo. Was "player 2" assigned the mission during "player 1"'s mission? Can they communicate with each other if they wanted to? Can players 1 and 2 screw each other over in their missions? Come on, I dig this kind of stuff. :D

--

I find the way the protagonist says, "Get out! ...Agh, stay low!" when he rescues the dude from the car oddly memorable... uhh, I guess I mean the voice acting is good, and it's implemented in to the game well. His voice reacts to his physical stance/interactions, so if something is uncomfortable (for instance dragging a guy out of a car while crouched down), he actually vocally expresses that by grunting or straining his voice. After the fight he sounds a bit tired as well.

I really don't know why I found that so interesting.

Kahunaburger:

I sorta thought the same thing, but baby steps, man. Baby steps! We can't go rushing into new concepts without adding things that are familiar. Even if we've already seen it done a million times before.

OT: It looks pretty damn good, but I'm trying not to get hyped up for it. I have a strict "no hype" rule for myself so that I don't set myself up for disappointment. It's how I enjoyed Skyrim so much. :P

But it was easily the highlight of E3... which is kind of sad, when you think about it.

So long as the cover based shooting is kept to an absolute minimun (still doubtful, game devs have a low opinion of us) it could well be fantastic. I love the ideas behind it and just hope that something really Ubisoft doesn't happen. .

Casual Shinji:
It looks very interesting, but it has 'convoluted conspiracy' written all over it.

It'll be Assassin's Creed all over again.

It's made by them isn't it?

Personally the back story means little to me, as long as I get to be a cool spy I'm happy.

Same with AC, as long as I'm a neat assassin I'm happy.

BUT, that doesn't make you wrong, to each their own.

GethBall:

Kahunaburger:

They're chest high cars. Geez..... get it right.

OT: Looks interesting but I think it's just going to be another GTA clone.

Voice acting sounded good though.

*eyes car* *eyes game* *eyes car*

Yeah...it looks like they got the height about right.

Am I to presume that everyone around here would stand up and shoot at people?

???

I mean I like varied gameplay, but I'm not sure about the criticism. About the only time it annoys me is when I walk into a room and know there will be a gunfight because of the layout of stuff.

theultimateend:

If you look at most of the firearm threads you would easily be able to see that 90% of the escapist forum goers couldnt tell a black painted stick from a gun from how much they whine about them, so they would likely run away crying from anything to do with said items much less shoot at people. :P

But yeah, I much prefer a protagonist that drops back behind cover to one who stands in the open and takes more of a pounding than the entire Nigerian army could dish out on a good day before walking away to go do something else.

FelixG:

theultimateend:

If you look at most of the firearm threads you would easily be able to see that 90% of the escapist forum goers couldnt tell a black painted stick from a gun from how much they whine about them, so they would likely run away crying from anything to do with said items much less shoot at people. :P

But yeah, I much prefer a protagonist that drops back behind cover to one who stands in the open and takes more of a pounding than the entire Nigerian army could dish out on a good day before walking away to go do something else.

I've just never seen a reason why. I see tons of complaints about it everytime a new game comes out.

I'm sure there is something, like it is badly designed so rooms telegraph their intentions or something. But otherwise I just can't imagine a situation where I'd be in a gunfight and think "Time to stand like Duke Nukem and fire blindly."

I've played paintball before, I very much appreciated cover. I'm sure if the bullets were lead I'd be even more in love with my cover.

"Concrete slab I'm gonna marry you if we get out of this alive."

On a related note, I get the development reason for regenerating health, but that is the particular field I'd love to see work done on. I really have no alternative suggestion for it, but that's basically been the only thing that's ever bothered me.

TheKasp:
I'm looking forward when this game releases on this gens consoles and people will realise that the footage shown is not the level of visual fidelity people will get with this gen consoles.

On the game itself: Interesting. I'm not getting hyped for it because the trailer went in the end into coverbased healthregen shootout boredom. Have to see what options you'll get.

Also: Ubisoft. Who wants to bet how they'll fuck up the PC version with stupid ass DRM?

actually, i was reading some stuff on Ubisoft's DRM plan (specifically for Assassin's Creed 3) and from what I read it sounds like Ubisoft is moving in the direction of just having a one time online activation for their new games. Here's hoping.

On topic, i think this game looks completely awesome, and as long as the PC version doesn't somehow get fucked over, i am going to love this

edit:

Valdsator:
I find the way the protagonist says, "Get out! ...Agh, stay low!" when he rescues the dude from the car oddly memorable... uhh, I guess I mean the voice acting is good, and it's implemented in to the game well. His voice reacts to his physical stance/interactions, so if something is uncomfortable (for instance dragging a guy out of a car while crouched down), he actually vocally expresses that by grunting or straining his voice. After the fight he sounds a bit tired as well.

I really don't know why I found that so interesting.

because what people often overlook is that it is the little things that can make a game feel signifcantly more real or fake, just by the little gestures, how the character walks and moves, how he reacts, doing these things well can make a game significantly more immersive

Matthew94:

Kahunaburger:

TizzytheTormentor:
Look decent, might get it depending on the reviews, didn't get much of an impression from the demo. Hope it does well though, we need new IP's.

David Bjur:
I found the E3 demo lacking of info, so I'm not that exited by it.
He hacked stuff like, three times? Yeah, that's not exactly thrilling.

Holy batman negative people!

OT: I think it could be very interesting. I'll keep an eye on it.

Humble Grapefruit:
What does everyone think of Watch Dogs? After watching the E3 gameplay, I think it looks absolutely incredible. I think if it is executed well, it will be a top seller. I am really excited for it. What do you think?

I think you are the definition of a perfect OP, you have said precisely what I was thinking :)
If, and it may yet be a big if, they manage to make it run smoothly and blend seamlessly, it will practically be a masterpiece.

Sticky cover, assisted aiming, regenerating health.
The concept looks fairly interesting, but it looks like it's going to be yet another console-based game.

theultimateend:

FelixG:

theultimateend:

I've just never seen a reason why. I see tons of complaints about it everytime a new game comes out.

I'm sure there is something, like it is badly designed so rooms telegraph their intentions or something. But otherwise I just can't imagine a situation where I'd be in a gunfight and think "Time to stand like Duke Nukem and fire blindly."

I've played paintball before, I very much appreciated cover. I'm sure if the bullets were lead I'd be even more in love with my cover.

"Concrete slab I'm gonna marry you if we get out of this alive."

On a related note, I get the development reason for regenerating health, but that is the particular field I'd love to see work done on. I really have no alternative suggestion for it, but that's basically been the only thing that's ever bothered me.

The complaint they have has zero to do with realism. They just think that it's become a boring mechanic. I too am a little bummed that the intriguing hacking and environment manipulation gameplay will most likely often devolve into basic cover shooting.

Nobody ever suggested that the main character becomes a standing bullet sponge, that assumption is on you. They just lament the descent from crafty use of the world and people around you to finishing the job with generic action.

Kahunaburger:

I understand what you're saying here, what with poking fun at the established 3rd person shooter norms, but I don't think this ridicule really applies here...

For one thing, people in real life gunfights use chest-high walls. It's called cover. So having a game take place in a contemporary setting, having it include gunplay and NOT having it include cover would be silly. Sure, a game without any gunplay at all would be cool, but if a dev has decided to have guns in the game (nothing wrong with that), decided on 3rd person (which I personally preffer over 1st person), adding in a cover mechanic just seems sensible.

Also, the main point of poking fun at chest high walls has always been how contrived their setup is, how you can tell you are entering a "fight zone" simply by the arrangement of the furniture. From Mass Effect to Gears of War, it's always conspicuous how cover just happens to be there when you need it. However, you can't really call this game out on that, at least not that demo. The cover was proceedurally generated by causing a massive car crash. Granted, the whole thing might have been staged or scripted, but if it wasn't, then I'm sure you can agree that it's a cool mechanic and avoids the tired old "obvious preset cover" problem...

Jandau:

Kahunaburger:

I understand what you're saying here, what with poking fun at the established 3rd person shooter norms, but I don't think this ridicule really applies here...

For one thing, people in real life gunfights use chest-high walls. It's called cover. So having a game take place in a contemporary setting, having it include gunplay and NOT having it include cover would be silly. Sure, a game without any gunplay at all would be cool, but if a dev has decided to have guns in the game (nothing wrong with that), decided on 3rd person (which I personally preffer over 1st person), adding in a cover mechanic just seems sensible.

Well, yeah, the real question is why there was gunplay in this game at all. We've got plenty of third-person shooters, including sandbox ones. What we don't have is a bunch of AAA sandbox games where the core mechanic is non-violent.

Jandau:
Also, the main point of poking fun at chest high walls has always been how contrived their setup is, how you can tell you are entering a "fight zone" simply by the arrangement of the furniture. From Mass Effect to Gears of War, it's always conspicuous how cover just happens to be there when you need it. However, you can't really call this game out on that, at least not that demo. The cover was proceedurally generated by causing a massive car crash. Granted, the whole thing might have been staged or scripted, but if it wasn't, then I'm sure you can agree that it's a cool mechanic and avoids the tired old "obvious preset cover" problem...

I don't think cover-based shooting (at least the way it's implemented in 90% of its incarnations) is a good mechanic in general. It promotes an uninteresting get cover -> pop up -> shoot enemies -> pop down -> wipe jam off face -> pop up... sort of gameplay. OTOH, it's very easy to balance, so I see why developers apparently love it so much.

it looked awsome...then again I love sci fi/cyberpunk, thats almost a selling point in of itself

Kahunaburger:
Well, yeah, the real question is why there was gunplay in this game at all. We've got plenty of third-person shooters, including sandbox ones. What we don't have is a bunch of AAA sandbox games where the core mechanic is non-violent.

I think that's what most people are questioning about this game at the moment; will information be the core mechanic, or will it be a fancy gimmick on top of an otherwise rather cookie cutter third person shooter?

Though whatever it is, the game sure as hell looks good. That's some sweet animation work right there.

Cowabungaa:

Though whatever it is, the game sure as hell looks good. That's some sweet animation work right there.

It looks sweet - but it was E3... How can you be sure it wasn't just entirely scripted? That's what got me worrying.
Some of the stuff, like when he messes with the traffic lights and the car collides, goons start firing, guy in car starts shouting for his dead wife, protagonists opens car and pulls man out,... I really can't see this be completely random.

Don't get me wrong, if this sort of stuff happens non-scripted in the game, instant-buy. But... yeah, we'll see.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked