Games you hate that everybody else likes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I can't stand most turned based RPG's, with the exception of FF6 and 4, and recently 7 (now that I'm playing along with the only good LP I found of it) every other one is boring as all hell.

Also, every FPS with the exception of Bioshock games.

I think it's more fun to talk about love than hate though *passes the joint*

Casual Shinji:
Recently, Max Payne 3.

That game is just a fucking abortion.

And if I only had an issue with the horrible, obnoxious, overly gritty story,
^A major, recurring theme in the story of Max Payne.

or Max's retarded decision making skills and whiny attitude,
^His background and story is a root cause.

I could notch that up as personal preference. But the gameplay itself is just a mess,
^It's the style carried over for the previous 2 games, it's different to your classic 3rd person shooters.

with unskippable cutscenes,
^They're the loading screens in this game. It's better than staring at a black screen for that length of time.

cutscenes that thrust you into a gunbattle for no fucking reason,
^Most shooters do that at some point.

changing my equiped weapon during cutscenes,
^Actually, the game got praised in reviews for NOT doing that, unlike 99% of shooters in existence.

and a shitty cover system.
^That works quite well.

How this game gets a free pass from fans I have no idea.
^For actually retaining the series' core distinctive features, whilst improving everything else; and for being one of a very few minority of games, that are actually "sequels" and not just standalone expansion packs or completely different games carrying the same title, maybe?

Yeah, I did a douchebag critical evaluation of your opinion/verdict. Sorry dude, I just plan on getting this game and I absolutely loved the originals, and what I have seen of MP3. I think this needs to go into the Other People's opinions you just can't accept thread :D

Bvenged:

Casual Shinji:
Recently, Max Payne 3.

That game is just a fucking abortion.

And if I only had an issue with the horrible, obnoxious, overly gritty story,
^A major, recurring theme in the story of Max Payne.

or Max's retarded decision making skills and whiny attitude,
^His background and story is a root cause.

I could notch that up as personal preference. But the gameplay itself is just a mess,
^It's the style carried over for the previous 2 games, it's different to your classic 3rd person shooters.

with unskippable cutscenes,
^They're the loading screens in this game. It's better than staring at a black screen for that length of time.

cutscenes that thrust you into a gunbattle for no fucking reason,
^Most shooters do that at some point.

changing my equiped weapon during cutscenes,
^Actually, the game got praised in reviews for NOT doing that, unlike 99% of shooters in existence.

and a shitty cover system.
^That works quite well.

How this game gets a free pass from fans I have no idea.
^For actually retaining the series' core distinctive features, whilst improving everything else; and for being one of a very few minority of games, that are actually "sequels" and not just standalone expansion packs or completely different games carrying the same title, maybe?

Yeah, I did a douchebag critical evaluation of your opinion/verdict. Sorry dude, I just plan on getting this game and I absolutely loved the originals, and what I have seen of MP3. I think this needs to go into the Other People's opinions you just can't accept thread :D

So wait, you feel the need to critically evaluate my opinion of a game you yourself haven't even played yet?

Prepare to be surprised by a truck load of "I told you so" when you finally do, because this game is dogshit.

Binding of Isaac. I know this game is suppose to remind everyone of Nintendo Hard days, but you are forgetting one crucial element. There were easy games back on the nes too. Bayou Billy and Battletoads were the exception. Everything else was quite beatable.

mysecondlife:

Owyn_Merrilin:
Braid. I really don't get what everyone sees in it -- it's Mario with a shoehorned in reversal mechanic. All flash and no substance.

I thought the ending was pretty brilliant. Nothing Mario could've pulled off.

I think the problem is that you need to get to the ending. It's like selling a book by saying "it's fantastic if you just slog through to the last few pages".

Personally, I quite like Braid as a gimmicky puzzle-platformer. But I've already given up reading the story bits because the writing made me want to harm small animals. Not my thing, I guess.

Out of interest, is the ending good because of story-stuff or gameplay-stuff?

Portal. The gameplay was extremely dull to me, and the sequel looked exactly the same in terms of mechanics.

I hate the first Saints Row game. I got my 360 a fair while after launch, and naturally caught up on some launch era titles. Kameo, PGR 3, NFS:MW and everything else I played from that time held up, and I enjoyed them despite their age. But Saints Row was just garbage. I couldn't play it for longer than 30 minutes, it's the only 360 game that I bought and didn't finish. So I gave it to my brother, a massive sandbox fan. Even he hated it. Thankfully it was only $9.

I also think all CoD games after 4 are awful, but I'm not quite sure that's an unpopular opinion.

The Mass Effect series. Godamn, those are a piece of shit. Dragon Age to a lesser extent.

I don't usually just hate one game, i hate all games in a series, and rarely any game from a give developer or genre. So, are mine:

ALL JRPGs ( especially final fantasy)
Almost anything made by Nintendo
Max Payne
Civilization
Command and Conquer

However a game which i like but everyone seems to hate is dragon age 2. I know thsi is off topic, and i dont wanna start a flame war, but in my personal opinion, it was far better then origins

All Rockstar games, Halo, Gears of War, Final Fantasy, Zelda games, Starcraft, COD, Dragon Age and umm... that'll do for now.

Pohaturon:
However a game which i like but everyone seems to hate is dragon age 2. I know thsi is off topic, and i dont wanna start a flame war, but in my personal opinion, it was far better then origins

I've heard people say this. I slogged through DA:O because the characters were quite charming and the story was just about interesting enough to keep me going back, despite the fact that I found the combat unbelievably dull. But it still took me over a year of playing-here-and-there to get to the end.

Does Dragon Age 2 improve the gameplay? After Origins taking me so long, I haven't dared to try the sequel!

I was gonna say CoD but i realized i don't hate them I just don't understand the continued popularity of the series when very little appears to change between each game.

While I don't hate it, I never found any reason to play Batman Arkham City after my first play of it.

It wasn't nearly as engaging as EVERYONE says it is. Granted I only played until the game enters open world territory. But I found the open world to be terrible and the combat was awful, even though it was exactly as I had expected from what I had heard. I thought I would love it, but I just didn't...

MetalMagpie:

Pohaturon:

I've heard people say this. I slogged through DA:O because the characters were quite charming and the story was just about interesting enough to keep me going back, despite the fact that I found the combat unbelievably dull. But it still took me over a year of playing-here-and-there to get to the end.

Does Dragon Age 2 improve the gameplay? After Origins taking me so long, I haven't dared to try the sequel!

Gameplay is largely unchanged, however Mage if pretty fun, the story is different as there is no overarching big evil, and can be separated into 3 chunks. Now i usually hear people complaining about 1. Recycled terrain and entire dungeons, but origins did this too and 2. crap characters. This is what i take issue with, since i extremely like the characters in DA:O, and i got the sequel quite some time after launch, so i went in with low expectations, but I ended up liking the characters more then the ones in origins.If you liked the characters and story of origins, but found the gameplay subpar, i seriously recommend da2

Infernai:
Wait, people actually LIKED FF XIII? 0o I mean, don't get me wrong it wasn't the worst game in the series (That honor belongs to FF XII) but last i checked it wasn't all that well liked by either by most others. Myself included.

What! well actually I mostly agree with you but FFII was the worst in the series by far seriously just try and play it with its ridiculously crappy broken level up system and incredibly weak characters and story (although the characters were still stronger than XII`s, hell FF I had better characters than XII and they had zero personality)also I actually preferred XIII to I,II,III and XII

As for me there arent many I hate plenty I feel are overrated, that many go on about which can lead me to getting incredibly pissed off with those games but not hate really.

I suppose the closest games I have come to despise is Rockstars games (and no I havent tried them all but I have played a fair few as usually at least one of my friends buys them and lets me borrow after) and the GTA series specifically seriously I really dont get it they create this open world and there is bugger all to do and dont get me started on the crappy stories and characters, what actually makes me hate them though is their influence on other games now they have to make their game open world to for absolutely no bloody reason. I wish people would stop supporting them although their table tennis game was good maybe they should stick to that.

Dragon Age Origins, I cannot understand why people love this game (several people recommended it in the recommed an RPG thread)

I found it boring in every way and quit after about 10 hours.

GTAIV is a big one for me. Bland is probably the best descriptor I can think of for the whole thing. Bland story, bland characters, bland missions, bland world, bland gameplay, and completely stupid relationship building mini games.

RE4 is an even bigger thorn in my side though. Twice as long as it needed to be, some of the most repetitive enemies I've ever seen (how many fucking people live in that village and castle for fuck's sake?), terrible quick time events which you will fail twice if you fail it the first time because they arbitrarily change the button you need to press for no reason. You can't move while aiming, strafing doesn't exist, and that laser sight was the biggest pain in the ass I've ever seen. It only shows up on things you can shoot which means enemies and breakable objects. But because the camera isn't consistently oriented over your shoulder, let alone centered on where you're aiming, you have to wildly swing the sight around until it shows up on something before you even know where you're aiming. By then, your enemies are within 20 feet so you pop off a few shots before being forced to run away and start the whole exercise over again. Why in the hell does a game with real-time rendered backgrounds not allow the laser sight to show up on all objects, walls, backgrounds etc.?

But probably my favourite thing about that laser sight? They didn't bother to fix it when they made RE5. Dead Space honestly took the basic structure of RE4 and made a game worth playing out of it.

Infernai:
Wait, people actually LIKED FF XIII? 0o I mean, don't get me wrong it wasn't the worst game in the series (That honor belongs to FF XII) but last i checked it wasn't all that well liked by either by most others. Myself included.

Unless Square manages to make something worse before I die, I will go to my grave maintaining that FFXIII is one of the worst games I've ever played. I'll never understand the hate that FFXII gets because it's gameplay was actually fun and quite well designed. The gameplay in FFXIII on the other hand was objectively terrible, and don't even get me started on the story and characters because aside from Sazh, none of it makes any sense, or is the least bit likeable.

The CoD and BF series, The world ends with you, Some of the zelda games, FF7 (I liked 6 and 8 a lot more), and SOME parts of skyrim. (Like how people just seem to give you random quests everywhere. Or the skill system. Morrowind was so much better.)

Half-Life 2. It's boring, the textures are bad, and the environments are bland. And Resistance 2 is the exact same way.

MetalMagpie:

mysecondlife:

Owyn_Merrilin:
Braid. I really don't get what everyone sees in it -- it's Mario with a shoehorned in reversal mechanic. All flash and no substance.

I thought the ending was pretty brilliant. Nothing Mario could've pulled off.

I think the problem is that you need to get to the ending. It's like selling a book by saying "it's fantastic if you just slog through to the last few pages".

Personally, I quite like Braid as a gimmicky puzzle-platformer. But I've already given up reading the story bits because the writing made me want to harm small animals. Not my thing, I guess.

Out of interest, is the ending good because of story-stuff or gameplay-stuff?

I would say neither. If anything, I'm probably one of the few to say that the ending was an absolute cop-out. In my view, it sacrificed moral ambiguity and depth for a cheap, bland and fairly one-dimensional ending. I'll be a little more specific with HUGE spoilers:

Other than that:
God of War - 'Like God of War but' - pfft. It's a dull game and is much less interesting than many of the action games that came before it. Also having to do quick-time events for pretty much every interesting move is boring, it's just uncomfortable and repetitive cutscenes to annoy your fingers.

Owyn_Merrilin:

What? Other than side scrolling and jumping, i dont remember many puzzles in mario. And the time reversal mechanic is essential to solving the puzzles. Doesn't feel shoehorned at all. I got the impression that they spent alot of thought and time on how they cleverly merged this mechanic with puzzle solving. I'm curious how you could feel like they shoehorned it in.

Casual Shinji:
]So wait, you feel the need to critically evaluate my opinion of a game you yourself haven't even played yet?

Prepare to be surprised by a truck load of "I told you so" when you finally do, because this game is dogshit.

Well seeing how you're one of the few people who's actually hated that game, I really doubt he's gonna end up agreeing with you.

Edit: Oh... uh, the Witcher's like ten different kinds of boring, but from the way I understand it not many people really cared too much about the original.

All of the CoD. I'm pretty lukewarm to most shooters but the dire lack of changes, the fact it's a mildly modified texture/skins pack for each new release and perhaps most importantly has LEGIONS of people proclaiming how each game is innovative while knocking Zelda for having the vague connections of a princess and Link just... yeah.

The Last Nomad:
While I don't hate it, I never found any reason to play Batman Arkham City after my first play of it.

It wasn't nearly as engaging as EVERYONE says it is. Granted I only played until the game enters open world territory. But I found the open world to be terrible and the combat was awful, even though it was exactly as I had expected from what I had heard. I thought I would love it, but I just didn't...

I... have a difficult time reconciling the view Arkham City's open world and combat was terrible o.o. It's weird, I can't even imagine this being an opinion. Clearly it is one but still mind=blown

Dear Esther. Sweet Celestia, Dear Esther. Where do I begin...

It has the exact same problem as Homefront (Without the compensation of guns) in that you're only there to look at very pretty scenery and not interact with it any. All you do is walk down a linear corridor and listen to some wanker talking.

Say what you like about COD, but at least stuff happens.

And, yes, before anyone says anything, I do get all the deep, artistic stuff. It's just that as a game Dear Esther is barely worth ten pence.

w9496:
Oblivion. I had fun until I got out of the sewer, and then everything was buggy and horrible. I droned on through the first Oblivion gate, and quit right after it. I haven't played a more bug-ridden game in my life.

Slightly off topic: I foresee a lot of Gears of War answers, which irks me a little. People are always wanting unique shooters, and last I checked, Gears is more unique than most.

Yeah, but unique doesn't mean good.
Also, there have been at least 3 games. So it's not actually that unique.

Anything with Batman in it. This extends to movies and whatever else. I don't like Batman; he's not interesting; he doesn't focus on story. He doesn't have powers, and he doesn't even do no-powers in the awesome Tony Stark way. He's just lame.

I have not enjoyed any Final Fantasy enough to finish it or even start it. Yes, this includes 7. They're just boring, unremarkable games. Why do I care about their stories?

Chrono Cross. Whoever made that stupid spell-equip battle system, and whoever decided to rip the "sequel" out of the Chrono Trigger sequel, and whoever didn't let you level up until boss fights, and whoever took Magus out, and who turned Schala into a stupid blonde chick, has a place in the Special Hell alongside people who talk in the theater.

Kingdom Hearts. Anytime Goofy or Donald talk, I want to rip my ears off. NO DISNEY IN MY JRPGS. NO DISNEY IN MY SERIOUS GAMES. GO THE HELL AWAY. Mickey Mouse is not a badass; he's a walking legal case.

Day-um, I have never seen anyone hate on Chrono Trigger before. I am so sorry. :P

00slash00:
kotor. everyone talks about it like it can cure cancer but i found the combat boring, the dialog pointless, the story predictable, and the characters unlikeable or boring (i hear the battle droid was entertaining but why would i ever choose blasters over lightsabers?)

Dude,I totally have to agree with you.

I don't care for most shooters. I just don't see the point and I'm always surprised at how series like CoD can still sell ridiculous amounts of copies. I tried some of the more "refined" shooters, such as Half-Life (2) and Max Payne (1) and found them equally boring. Incidentally, Half-Life 2 is probably the game that baffles me the most. I really don't understand what's so great and special about it.

I'm also not fond of the whole "MOBA" genre. DotA was a fun thing to play between rated games in Warcraft III but nothing more.

Then there's a whole bunch of games that I find decently enjoyable, but become somewhat irritated when I see how overrated they tend to be. Examples include the aforementioned Braid and Skyward Sword.

Demon\Dark Souls, mistakes unavoidable insta-death for being challenging, has an annoying hack and slash "action RPG" mechanic and generally is unremittingly grim. No story as such.

MetalMagpie:

To expand on what Pohaturon has already said, the combat in DA2 is... much quicker paced, than Origins, and all of the classes have been flip-flopped so that they don't do Friendly Fire damage anymore (which makes Mages a lot more fun because you don't need to worry about destroying your stupid warriors/rogues who like to charge in and get surrounded by enemies).

DA2 stumbles pretty heavily in using far more recycled assets than Origins did and has a terrible time with teleporting in waves of enemies after you think you've cleared out an area. But, speaking for my own personal experiences, the story is more interesting (because Bioware finally elected to move away from "YOU are the ONLY ONE who can SAVE THE WORLD!") and the characters all feel just as well characterized (Merril, Isabela, and Varric alone are probably worth it, at least if you like snarky, sarcastic Hawke - Which I did).

OT: Can't we all stop being negative for once? Sheesh. I'm going to post a game I liked that everyone else seems to either ignore or dislike.

Prototype. And by extension its sequel. The story is a little better in the first one, but better written in the second one, and the gameplay is largely unchanged but further refined in the sequel. EDIT: Oh, but in the sequel they actually let you pretend to be stealthy while doing some of the missions. I got the AI of an entire room to start freaking out because the game expected me to just go Alien-Wolverine on their asses and destroy them but I shapeshifted into a military officer and stealthily took down my target to continue the mission.
And I don't care what you have to say against it, absorbing and assuming the body of a little old lady, running up the side of a thirty-story building, and then elbow slamming the pavement and sending a whole ton of people flying to their dooms is still some of the best fun I've ever had in a game.

I'm sure a million people have already said this, but CoD. Not my thing. Well... I actually kinda hate military shooters in general. They're boring, military worship crap for the most part. Ugh. After the WWII onslaught I thought setting things in the modern era would be a cool change of pace... I was wrong.

Never really liked Halo. Though I did like Reach for some reason, maybe because it was different than the others (to a degree.)

Never really liked WoW. I just found it boring. I think it had more to do with the continuous price thing though.

Edit: Oh yeah... and Kotor. I just don't get it.

The Half-Life series in general. Dont see whats so amazing about it.

Also, the first Crysis. I havent played it for the most obvious reason (PC not powerful enough), but from what I watched from youtube videos, its just a basic shooter that looks pretty. I keep hearing that its open-ness in how you want to tackle an objective is unmatched, but I havent been able to find any examples of that.

CaptainMarvelous:
All of the CoD. I'm pretty lukewarm to most shooters but the dire lack of changes, the fact it's a mildly modified texture/skins pack for each new release and perhaps most importantly has LEGIONS of people proclaiming how each game is innovative while knocking Zelda for having the vague connections of a princess and Link just... yeah.

The Last Nomad:

I... have a difficult time reconciling the view Arkham City's open world and combat was terrible o.o. It's weird, I can't even imagine this being an opinion. Clearly it is one but still mind=blown

I didn't imagine I would have that opinion either, but after about an hours worth of play I stopped and have never played it since.

EDIT: I didn't really get a chance to explore the world too much, but the little bit I did was just bland and confusing and didn't feel at all alive in any way.

imahobbit4062:

Fluoxetine:
Nearly all the zeldas (I love link to the past though)
Chronotrigger (Blasphemy!!)
Dead Rising (Racist against americans even though nobody wants to admit it)
Final Fantasy 8 (I'm not really alone in this one though...)
Any open world wrpg where you stomp through a bunch of empty open fields (Skyrim, Fallout etc)

Dead Rising racist? What the fuck?

With the game taking place in an American shopping mall (the intro of the game goes out of its way to showcase small town America), you are surrounded by symbols and metaphors for capitalism. In the sequel, when a zombie inhibitor is created, its immediately marketed at insanely high prices.(Americans are greedy)

Nearly every person (there are no foreigners) is either out for themselves, gone psychotic, or like Frank, is completely desensitized to violence and killing. In the sequel, everyone is mean to the father who is trying to save his daughter and no one cares about her infection. (Americans have no empathy)

The whole game goes out of its way to make moral statements against America, which is all the more hypocritical when you consider that you need a Sony flat screen HD 1080p aquos television just to read the game's text, nevermind Capcom's other business practices. Also, the game never cites any of its sources for any of the statements regarding Americans and meat. But younger gamers don't catch this stuff. We're all so used to American guilt and this weak world-perception that we just accept it all as fact.

Diablo 3- Played it from start to finish, and I just can't will myself to go through it again (which is the point of a dungeon runner.) I liked the gameplay, don't get me wrong. The visuals and story were just too big of a disapointment for me to want to play again. The immersive music was gone. It felt less like a dungeon runner, and more like an arcade style approach to it. This is the undead level. This is the cult level. This is the manor level. This is the desert level. This is the sewer level. See where I'm going with this? No consistent tone.

Call of Duty- I just don't get it. It has the whole leveling and perk system but it feels horribly unbalanced in every game. The campaigns are always the same story as well. Not getting it. If I wanted to play a great multiplayer shooter experience, I'd go play Team Fortress 2, not this.

God of War- I understand that this series really kind set the standard for many other games, but I just don't see the appeal in it. I played through Chains of Olympus and enjoyed it, but I still don't like the game itself. It just feels like a hack n slash. I honestly had more with Lord of Rings: Conquest.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked