Games you hate that everybody else likes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

This thread again? REALLY? I guess you knew that you could look up other threads about it but you just HAD to have your spin on it. You aren't a special snowflake OP, this thread will drift off into Eternalnothingness (a PUN :D)and nobody will remember it until someone makes another one, and so goes the cycle.

I don't see the point of hating a game. Hate requires too much effort, and a game that I don't like to play doesn't deserve my energy. Why not.....ignore it? I think Catherine is a pretentious and stupid game, but I don't hate it. Its just a game I don't want to play that I can understand some people liking. Unless its clearly offensive then I don't see the need to warrant hate.

3 reasons for people "hating" a game I see on here

1. They're bad at them
2. They cannot grasp that other people might like other genres
3. Its fun to jump on board the hipster train and circle jerk insults to make yourself feel better

So enough "durrr, I hate Bioshock and I don't see what the hype was about. I'm cool and hip like you guys right?" because its been ground into our faces so hard at this point that you just look silly.

There really should be a filter for this kind of repeated threads.

OT:I couldn't get into KoTOR much.That is about it

arrowtotheknee:
The question is in the Title. What games do you hate that everybody else likes?
I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this, but I absolutely HATE the Zelda games. I've tried playing multiple ones, and they just got boring very quickly. Also the new Pokemon games. Gens 1-3 were fun but I didn't find gen 4 to be very good, and quit around the time of the fourth gym battle.

Thank God I'm not the only one! I've really tried with Zelda, but I just can't seem to get into any of them. I guess it would've helped if I'd played them as a child, maybe? I don't care about the characters much, the stories never quite grip me, the music and graphics aren't very good... Nope, sorry ^^;

Another one is Assassin's Creed. I WANT to like them, and I've started playing the 1st and 2nd from the beginning many times, but they do nothing for me and I just lose interest. The graphics are amazing, though!

Final Fantasy VII

Just feels like a generic JRPG with typical anime story/characters and only okay gameplay. I feel like people only like it at this point due to nostalgia but whatever maybe everyone else sees something in it that I don't.

Also Skyrim, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and the original Mass Effect.

Lost motherfucking Planet. Both of them. I couldn't stand them past 10 minutes of gameplay. Though most of my friends say it's good or that I "Mustn't have played it" and that I'm just "nitpicky" or have a "bad taste". Honestly I don't give a flying fuck about what anyone else says, it was terrible. Period.

WanderingFool:
The Half-Life series in general. Dont see whats so amazing about it.

Also, the first Crysis. I havent played it for the most obvious reason (PC not powerful enough), but from what I watched from youtube videos, its just a basic shooter that looks pretty. I keep hearing that its open-ness in how you want to tackle an objective is unmatched, but I havent been able to find any examples of that.

I think you'd have to play it, you really can. There's a huge amount of ways to do things, and the suits powers are awesome.

OT: Halflife, boring as shit. Nothing interesting in it for me.

strangemoose:
the amount of butthurt in this thread...its wonderful

Butthurt? there isnt much going on in this thread.
i like seeing other peoples opinions
i love bioshock, however im interested in seeing why some people dont like it

Uncharted - Seriously, they should have just made a shitty movie. Also, Nathan Drake, I hope hell has a special pit reserved for you.

Final Fantasy VIII - 'It looked pretty' is about the only positive thing I can really think of to describe this game.

Final Fantasy XIII - same as above, only everything else was even worse.

Anyway, just three games I really don't like. If others like them that's cool though, I won't go all, "If you like these games you're a moron" on its fans, to each his own, and all that jazz.

Don Savik:
This thread again? REALLY? I guess you knew that you could look up other threads about it but you just HAD to have your spin on it. You aren't a special snowflake OP, this thread will drift off into Eternalnothingness (a PUN :D)and nobody will remember it until someone makes another one, and so goes the cycle.

I don't see the point of hating a game. Hate requires too much effort, and a game that I don't like to play doesn't deserve my energy. Why not.....ignore it? I think Catherine is a pretentious and stupid game, but I don't hate it. Its just a game I don't want to play that I can understand some people liking. Unless its clearly offensive then I don't see the need to warrant hate.

1. They're bad at them
3. Its fun to jump on board the hipster train and circle jerk insults to make yourself feel better

So enough "durrr, I hate Bioshock and I don't see what the hype was about. I'm cool and hip like you guys right?" because its been ground into our faces so hard at this point that you just look silly.

I am 100% with you, I just clicked on this to see why it was going for so long. It's pointless and doesn't accomplish anything, I would say just stop doing it and tell others to stop as well. Are there game I have played that I don't like that others do? Yes but I am not going to go to some place with the only point in mind to bad mouth a game. And most of the time when I don't like a game I try and see why others might like it.

Don Savik:

1. They're bad at them

Well put. These show up like clockwork and the worst part is they go on for pages, because for some reason people don't think their opinion was heard in the 100 other threads. Also, +1 for Fight Club reference :D

OP, your spin on this thread seems a bit dramatic because most people don't really hate a game, at most they're ambivalent or disappointed. Why not just name it the good old 'which games do you love but other people hate?'

Killzone. No imagination. What kind of sci fi has no imagination?!? Seriously, I like the concept (evil aliens and good guy earthlings) but they kind of fucked that up.

Seriously, though, why is this evil alien race a bunch of bald English guys?

Don Savik:

1. They're bad at them

Wow, I honestly entered this thread expecting it to be light hearted fun... Am I the only one?

Every. Sports game. Ever.

(...except NBA Jam back on the Genesis/SNES. Awesome game.)

Assassins Creed the Second is a game I can borderline hate. It has terribly few redeeming qualities. The controls are a wreck, the story is nonsense, the mechanics are flat out broken.

The one game I can explicitly hate is Metroid Other M. that one has zero redeeming qualities whatsoever. It is a broken, shoddy, catastrophic wreck in every respect. Lame ass story, busted ass controls, completely ill conceived mechanics like for shooting missiles and healing and it completely ruined the character of Samus Aran.

Metroid Other M is a game I have nothing but hatred for, but that one wasn't exactly well received anyway... I guess somebody likes it but I'm not gonna judge.

Its fun to jump on board the hipster train and circle jerk insults to make yourself feel better

It's fun to jump on board the hipster train and circle jerk insults to make yourself feel better.

So enough "durrr, I hate threads on why people hate games that other people like. I'm cool and hip like you guys right?" because it's been ground into our faces so hard at this point that you just look silly.

Owyn_Merrilin:
Braid. I really don't get what everyone sees in it -- it's Mario with a shoehorned in reversal mechanic. All flash and no substance.

I know that people shouldn't take any crap for coming out with games that they hate on a thread with this title, but I really can't stand the comparison of Braid and Mario. If your gonna hate the game, at least do it reasonably.

The two games have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other. They share no mechanics....other than jumping.....and jumping on certain enemies heads. Halo is more like Mario than Braid is, and I say that seriously. At least there's platforming and the possibility of falling to your death in Halo....or dying at all.

Braid is a puzzle game. It's more closely related to Portal than Mario. Whatever Mario elements you perceive are more shoehorned in than the time mechanics (which are much deeper and more original than the simple reversal....I can tell you didn't play the game for long)....the game is built around the time mechanics, so I don't see how you can say they're shoehorned in. That's kinda like saying the guns are shoehorned into CoD. And just like Portal, it's much more substance than flash. (Braid can be called flashy?.....the fuck?..if Braid were a house, it'd be a country farm)

OT: This is tough, because there are certainly games that I find incredibly over-rated, (CoD, Halo,......Skyrim) but I don't hate any of them....and if I did, it would only be because of how over-rated it is, not because I was personally dissatisfied with it. If we're talking about single player experiences, than my answer might have to be Halo 1, which I distinctly remember thinking was terrible at just about all points after mission 2/3 of the campaign. And it's not because I didn't like fighting the flood.....the flood was a highlight for me, so don't go there.

Electrogecko:

Owyn_Merrilin:
Braid. I really don't get what everyone sees in it -- it's Mario with a shoehorned in reversal mechanic. All flash and no substance.

I know that people shouldn't take any crap for coming out with games that they hate on a thread with this title, but I really can't stand the comparison of Braid and Mario. If your gonna hate the game, at least do it reasonably.

The two games have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other. They share no mechanics....other than jumping.....and jumping on certain enemies heads. Halo is more like Mario than Braid is, and I say that seriously. At least there's platforming and the possibility of falling to your death in Halo....or dying at all.

Braid is a puzzle game. It's more closely related to Portal than Mario. Whatever Mario elements you perceive are more shoehorned in than the time mechanics (which are much deeper and more original than the simple reversal....I can tell you didn't play the game for long)....the game is built around the time mechanics, so I don't see how you can say they're shoehorned in. That's kinda like saying the guns are shoehorned into CoD. And just like Portal, it's much more substance than flash. (Braid can be called flashy?.....the fuck?..if Braid were a house, it'd be a country farm)

OT: This is tough, because there are certainly games that I find incredibly over-rated, (CoD, Halo,......Skyrim) but I don't hate any of them....and if I did, it would only be because of how over-rated it is, not because I was personally dissatisfied with it. If we're talking about single player experiences, than my answer might have to be Halo 1, which I distinctly remember thinking was terrible at just about all points after mission 2/3 of the campaign. And it's not because I didn't like fighting the flood.....the flood was a highlight for me, so don't go there.

You're kidding, right? It's got the exact same jumping mechanics as Mario, and even the enemies are ripped right out of it. It could pretty easily be a Mario ROM hack, and the fact that the level design is built around the new mechanic doesn't change that.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Electrogecko:

Owyn_Merrilin:

You're kidding, right? It's got the exact same jumping mechanics as Mario, and even the enemies are ripped right out of it. It could pretty easily be a Mario ROM hack, and the fact that the level design is built around the new mechanic doesn't change that.

This....doesn't sound like a comment that anybody who knows anything about video games would make. I assumed that YOU were kidding....I assumed that you pulled that Mario comparison out of your ass, but now I see that you're much more attached to it than I previously thought, and I'm even more baffled. By the way, I've played every Mario game ever and am a huge fan of the series.

If it was clear before that you may have not made it out of the tutorial in Braid, it's even more clear now. What jumping mechanic are you talking about? Oh, that one......the one where.....you press a button?......and your character jumps? (Except Mario jumps about 5 times higher than what's his face and about 30x more often throughout his game) And yea, there's an enemy that you may kill by jumping on, but that is literally where the comparisons end.

But that last sentence is the most laughable of all. The level design built around a time travel mechanic doesn't change that? Except that it does.....in every conceivable way....that's like saying that the level design built around portals doesn't change the fact that Portal is a CoD ROM hack. One game is built for running and jumping and another is built for solving time travel puzzles, but that doesn't change anything people! It's the exact same experience! /sarcasm

Braid is a PUZZLE game. It is 99% mental. I can't remember a single platforming challenge from the game. Every single level is a mini open-world box, where to beat the level, you must stare at the screen until you figure out how to solve the puzzle, then very slowly and methodically put your plan to action.

Mario is a PLATFORMER. It involves much more physical skill than Braid. Every single challenge and level in Mario is about reacting to and successfully avoiding oncoming enemies and obstacles and reaching the goal within the time limit.

A screw up in Mario means death and a return to the beginning of the level/world. A screw up in Braid means holding down a button for a few moments and possibly needing to rework you're hypothesis. In Mario, your only progression is getting through the level. In Braid your goals are spread out all over each screen. In Mario, you have the same basic mechanics and powerups from start to finish. In Braid, the core mechanics of the game change in every section of the world. I literally can't see how anybody with a minute of experience with either game can think that they're at all similar in anything but the most arbitrary and shallow of ways.

If this is truly your reasoning for disliking Braid, then I'm truly sorry about your severe case of narrow-mindedness. I maintain that that Halo is more similar to Mario than Braid is....and I'm not wrong.

Minecraft. I bought it, tried it. Became SO BORED! Some people like to compare it to Lego, I don't do that, because Lego is so much more fun than that half-finished, half-baked, half-graphicalized (it's a word!) game.

Electrogecko:
snip

Not just "press a button to jump." The length and duration of the jump. Mario jumps are different to Sonic jumps which are different from Crash Bandicoot jumps, but Braid jumps are almost identical to Mario jumps. What's more, we've got Goombas, Piranha Plants, castles, "Sorry, but your princess is in another castle," and oh yeah, time travel. Face it, it's Mario with one new mechanic.

Edit: I mean, next you'll be telling me Kid Chameleon wasn't a Mario clone because the powerups were different and it took place in a virtual reality game instead of the Mushroom Kingdom...

Oh yeah, Fear. The first one. Granted I played it on Xbox 360, but I found it to be entirely mediocre. It was really really boring.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Electrogecko:
snip

Not just "press a button to jump." The length and duration of the jump. Mario jumps are different to Sonic jumps which are different from Crash Bandicoot jumps, but Braid jumps are almost identical to Mario jumps. What's more, we've got Goombas, Piranha Plants, castles, "Sorry, but your princess is in another castle," and oh yeah, time travel. Face it, it's Mario with one new mechanic.

Edit: I mean, next you'll be telling me Kid Chameleon wasn't a Mario clone because the powerups were different and it took place in a virtual reality game instead of the Mushroom Kingdom...

I feel like now would be a good time to post that "laugh harder" clip from Futurama.

I'm very curious as to how far into Braid you got. I think it's a fair assumption that it wasn't very far, given that you haven't clarified the matter already.....and seem completely ignorant on the game.

I see what you're saying, but it's just ridiculous. It would be like me saying all FPS' are Doom clones.

You've listed 5 similarities:
The arc of the jump
First of all, Mario jumps about 5x his height (especially when he's small) and runs about 10x faster than the dude from Braid. Mario can clear screens with a running start....in comparison, the kid's basically realistic.
Second, that doesn't stand up as a criticism because not everyone is a connoisseur of platformers and can identify these similar flight patterns that you seem to pay a lot of attention to.

Goombas + Pirhana plants
The appearance of these enemies has absolutely nothing to do with the mechanics of either game. Would it help you if the "bullet bills" in Braid were shot from floating guns instead of 2 block towers?
I grant you that there's a pretty obvious homage to Mario (which, once again, not everyone will catch onto) in enemy design, but the enemies in Braid are used in a much more precise manner than they are in Mario. As I've said many times now, Braid is a PUZZLE game, and the only enemies you'll find are key components in such puzzles. The curly haired dudes in Braid (or Goombas, as you refer to them) are essentially moving trampolines as well as minor hazards, (which, btw, completely alters the jumping mechanics of this game and makes these creatures nothing like Goombas.....gasp*) and I bet you can't ride on the Bullet Bills from Mario.

Castles + "Sorry, but your princess is in another castle"
Yes....both games have castles.

It's kind of funny, because there's a spot in Braid that is a very direct tribute to the original Donkey Kong....the game clearly doesn't bother hiding this resemblance of which you speak, but it's not to be confused for anything but that.

Braid plays nothing like Mario. I'd say Super Meat Boy is more like Mario in terms of gameplay. Braid is an open world game....you could walk through all it's world and just watch all the collectibles and rewards go by, and it would be one of the easiest games you've ever played. Braids challenge isn't in getting to the end of the level....it's in getting to several specific locations scattered all around each level....by solving puzzles....that get extremely difficult (seriously, finding any of the stars in Braid is an accomplishment, let alone all of them)....I just don't see this level similarity that makes you comfortable in dismissing one as a knock off of the other.

I didn't care for Mario 64. Maybe because I prefer 2d platforming, but things just felt randomly strewn about, the horrific camera caused me to fall and have to attempt the whole jumping part over, and I never like collecting things. Also the graphics didn't age well. Super Mario 3 will always be the best one in my mind though I don't live in the past as I'm eagerly awaiting for the latest Bioshock.

I guess I will also add stuff like farmville and angry birds. They both seem like mini games that would be thrown into a full game at the last minute. Sure the latter has way more gameplay. It just now feels like a series made just to market t-shirts, toys, and whatever else. Also the character designs aren't cute in my opinion.

WanderingFool:
The Half-Life series in general. Dont see whats so amazing about it.

Also, the first Crysis. I havent played it for the most obvious reason (PC not powerful enough), but from what I watched from youtube videos, its just a basic shooter that looks pretty. I keep hearing that its open-ness in how you want to tackle an objective is unmatched, but I havent been able to find any examples of that.

Yup, I was sorta the same, but got an ass kicking pc and flogged it off a mate - apart from looking sort of nice its one of the most boring games you will ever play, and wouldnt pay $2 for it.

RE halflife - there is something wrong with you and you need fixing ^^

Well, I wouldn't say hate, but I really don't like Borderlands. I have lots of friends who always wanna play it with me, but I just find it so eh.

Maybe posted it before, oh well, here's my list:

Uncharted, Infamous, Halo 3, Final Fantasy 7, Call Of Duty and everything nintendo rehashed since the release of the WII.

I have mixed feelings about uncharted....I don;t hate it, but I think my problem is I can't "play along" as its so cliché it hurts...

Uncharted. I hated it. It looked nice, and the story had things going for it, but I just lost all immersion with the amount of shooting in it when it was supposed to be an adventure game and the times between shooting seemed too short.

Don Savik:

1. They're bad at them

I don't think people "hate" these games so much as dislike them, which I think is fine when its for valid reasons

I think when a game is relaly popular and you just don't get it it does bring out a desire to rip it apart/be more aggressive

like I'm not exactally a fan of Skyrim for a few reasons...and when it was all the buzz..I won't lie when I say it felt good to bash it (well I didn't exactly bash it) <-and it wasn't out of the usual "yahtzizm" you see...I genuinely wished I could love it as much as everyone else..but I couldn't

now publishers and devs (you know who I man) on the other hand are all the rage right now, perhaps for vaild reasons..but still

I will say right now you need thick skin to be a Bioware fan

but yeah, gamers on the internet tend to be "love/hate" (more hate here anyhow)

I remember somone here (on a thread like this..mabye even the same one) was talking about a game that was critically loved..but he didn;t like it..and concluded "the critics were wrong"

now over-blown reveiw scores are one thing....but the critics being wrong? because he happned disagree with them?..I mean are you fucking kidding me?

Owyn_Merrilin:

Electrogecko:
snip

Kid Chameleon?....hmmm

awww....I'm dissapointed, I thought it would be about an anthropomorphic chameleon...

Scarecrow1001:
I really hated Fallout 3, I got so bored less than 4 hours in, I just stopped playing it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I traded it in for L.A. Noire....

Oh, same with me! Mine was made worse by the fact that all my friends - who loved it! - borrowed it from me. At least they got my money's worth out of it, I guess...

I was going to post something on here before I realised... there really aren't any games I truly hate. Sure, I've been disapointed by games before, but I've never felt hatred... just depression and trying to think of ways it could have been better.

Vault101:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Electrogecko:
snip

Kid Chameleon?....hmmm

awww....I'm dissapointed, I thought it would be about an anthropomorphic chameleon...

It's actually pretty good. Not something I'd seek out, but it was one of the more pleasant surprises on the Genesis collection I bought for my PS2 four or five years ago (I mainly bought it for the Phantasy Star games, and I actually had most of the other ones on the actual genesis. Not Kid Chameleon or a few of the others, though.)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked