Recommend a RPG type game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I am bored, it's the drought season for games and RPGs more than ever have been hit. Can someone recommend a good RPG old or new that can be played this season?

1) No MMOs
2) No Diablo type games (just did 100 hours on D3 and I'm done)
3) No Dark Souls/Demon souls. Just gave up that.

I have Xenogears on my PS hard disk but it's just too slow moving

Skyrim or Fallout New Vegas would be great choices.

Plenty of character customisation, huge worlds to explore, keep you busy for weeks.

I suggest YS origin which was just recently localized to steam, its a very fast paced action rpg which acts as a prequel to a cult classic series that prides itself on its music and boss battles and its only 20 bones.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207350/

BALDURS GATE!

It's the best RPG ever made! :3

I'll just leave this here

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114127-Game-Devs-Vote-Baldurs-Gate-Best-Game-of-All-Time

Plus it's only 6 quid off GOG.com :3

Tales of Graces F, has a decent plot, but more than anything has a very innovative combat system.

It'd help if you shared which ones you've already played.

My suggestion: Dragon Age Origins. This game will last you a while, I just finished a playthrough in which I did everything and ended on around 60 hours. This is excluding the expansion and DLC packs.

i have to go with Dragon Age Origins
I really enjoyed Two Worlds 2 so i say that one also

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Dragon Age: Origins
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Deus Ex
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Gothic
Gothic 2
Gothic 3
Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
Knights of the Old Republic
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Mass Effect
Mass effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
Planescape: Torment
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (you have to took up some mods for it)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (to a lesser extent as above)
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Witcher
Witcher 2

In no particular order, although games of the same franchise are grouped together (as you can see).
EDIT: additions + alphabetical ordering.

DoPo:

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2

OP Should definitely go for those 2.

The others are OK too :3

DoPo:
Deus Ex
Fallout.

Oh lordy these so much, remember to get the HD texture pack for Morrowind.

I'm having some fun with The Witcher 2

I'd suggest something from the "Tales of" series, like Tales of Symphonia (just avoid the sequel), Tales of the Abyss, or Tales of Vesperia.

Pokemon Black/White
The World Ends With You
Either of the Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced games
Any Fire Emblem game (Except radiant Dawn)

Captcha: old hat
yep, this thread I've seen before.

Well... this one is an MMO... but it has recently exploded. The DayZ mod on Arma II : CO.

It has RPG elements, but isn't a straight out RPG.

As for consoles, and non MMO, Trusty Bell(PS3)/Eternal Sonata(360) depending on what system you own. it is my favorite RPG of all time

Captcha : Exercise More..... it knows T_T

DoPo:
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Planescape: Torment
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Deus Ex
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout 3
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
Gothic
Gothic 2
Gothic 3
Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2

In no particular order, although games of the same franchise are grouped together (as you can see).

Add to this Witcher 2 and the Mass Effect trilogy (minus a crucial 10 minutes) and you'll have covered most of the WRPG essentials from the last decade and change. I don't know what the hell Deus Ex is doing in here though. Deus Ex is not an RPG, damn it!

Rogue Galaxy is always good. Basically, Star Wars but in an anime galaxy.

Odin Sphere is great.

BloatedGuppy:

I don't know what the hell Deus Ex is doing in here though. Deus Ex is not an RPG, damn it!

Deus Ex is an RPG, an Action RPG that is. You gain experience, spend experience points to make your character better, get augmentation upgrades, make actual story changing choices, get better equipment, etc.

heyheysg:

I have Xenogears on my PS hard disk but it's just too slow moving

Have you tried Xenoblade? Its very similar, and I love it.

Aircross:
Deus Ex is an RPG, an Action RPG that is. You gain experience, spend experience points to make your character better, get augmentation upgrades, make actual story changing choices, get better equipment, etc.

It's a shooter-RPG hybrid, and more shooter than RPG in almost every respect. My stats don't affect my ability to kill a guy, my ability to move the reticle over his head does.

I know this has been a sticking point and has been argued many times on many forums, but in the realm of RPG hybrids Deus Ex is about as far from a true RPG as it's possible to get. If I was a hardcore RPG fan and went into that game expecting an RPG proper I'd be swiftly dismayed.

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon! DO IT!
You may think I'm joking, but call me back when you've finished your Tier 8 Tactical build.

But seriously, play Mass Effect.

DoPo:

I cannot recommend this series highly enough. I haven't played Daggerfall yet, but I do intend to. The last three at least, are simply gold. Especially with all the content added by mods (god I love Morrowind mods) you will find ridiculously large amounts of your time soaked up. If you like RPGs I don't think you can go wrong with this series.

Morrowind
Persona 4
Persona 3 (any version)
Earthbound
Planescape Torment

Those are my top 5 RPGs by a mile. There aren't too many great and new RPGs, but if you're OK with old games, there are tons

Dragon's Dogma.

It has an intense and surpisingly deep combat system, a story full of twists and taking down larger enimies like griffins, golems, drakes and dragons just feels epic.

Dragon's Dogma (seconded).

It's fantastic. Good customization, good rpg elements, nice action controls for combat, brilliant AI pathing, nice art and level design, big world, great story with a surprisingly philosophic turn that's both fun and smart, etc.

Mount and blade series.

Give the free trial a shot, you won't regret it. There is too many awesome things to say about it to even begin a list. Much RPG, warfare, swordfighting, historical and so on.

BloatedGuppy:

It's a shooter-RPG hybrid, and more shooter than RPG in almost every respect. My stats don't affect my ability to kill a guy, my ability to move the reticle over his head does.

Are you talking about HR? Because in the original Deus Ex, your gun rating sure as hell affected your ability to hit what you pointed at, since the reticle starts out roughly the size of a volkswagon.

targren:
Are you talking about HR? Because in the original Deus Ex, your gun rating sure as hell affected your ability to hit what you pointed at, since the reticle starts out roughly the size of a volkswagon.

I considered editing my post to reference the wobble reticle from the original Deus Ex, but in reality it's still a hand-eye check as opposed to a statistical check. I don't need to, say, make sure I have a high enough Aim score in order to hit the guy. I'm just gifted with a wobbly reticle. Which is why I'm willing to concede that even the original Deus Ex is a hybrid game, but it's very heavy on the shooty shooty side of things, and not so much on the RPG.

It would be like someone including ME1 in a list of notable shooters. I'm willing to hear that Deus Ex has some RPG properties mixed in with its shooter core, but I'm not comfortable seeing it share a list of games with Elder Scrolls and Planescape Torment.

Make sense?

BloatedGuppy:

targren:

I considered editing my post to reference the wobble reticle from the original Deus Ex, but in reality it's still a hand-eye check as opposed to a statistical check. I don't need to, say, make sure I have a high enough Aim score in order to hit the guy. I'm just gifted with a wobbly reticle. Which is why I'm willing to concede that even the original Deus Ex is a hybrid game, but it's very heavy on the shooty shooty side of things, and not so much on the RPG.

It would be like someone including ME1 in a list of notable shooters. I'm willing to hear that Deus Ex has some RPG properties mixed in with its shooter core, but I'm not comfortable seeing it share a list of games with Elder Scrolls and Planescape Torment.

Make sense?

Not really, because your bullets weren't guaranteed to end up in the center of the reticule, so the bigger it was, the more chance you had to miss even if you shot when the crosshairs were right over the dudes eyes. Not to mention that the skills also affected the amount of damage you did with each hit.

BloatedGuppy:

DoPo:
-game snip-

Add to this Witcher 2 and the Mass Effect trilogy (minus a crucial 10 minutes) and you'll have covered most of the WRPG essentials from the last decade and change. I don't know what the hell Deus Ex is doing in here though. Deus Ex is not an RPG, damn it!

Well, I saw somebody mention the Witcher and I almost edited my post to include it, since it was originally meant to be there, it was just lost in writing. In the end, I decided against it...but I'll do it now :) As for DE, well, I'm also somewhat hesitant to call it an RPG but the thread title asks for "RPG type games" and I am pretty sure it fits there, especially since OP used Diablo when talking about these games.

For completeness sake, I'll add ME and DA:O.

targren:
Not really, because your bullets weren't guaranteed to end up in the center of the reticule, so the bigger it was, the more chance you had to miss even if you shot when the crosshairs were right over the dudes eyes. Not to mention that the skills also affected the amount of damage you did with each hit.

If that's the case, I'll tentatively agree that the original DE was a full out hybrid RPG. All I remember was the wobble-reticle. I don't recall my damage being effected, but it's been many years.

Planescape Torment if you want a great story, with proper roleplay elements, then Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 ( + expansions) any of the Elder Scrolls games, any of the Mass Effect series, Fallout series.

Both Witcher games are good too.

Thank Heavens for Good Old Games.

Witcher 2

Already mentioned, but I'd just like to lift them up as ones you can't go much wrong with. And the very few RPG's that I've actually found enjoyable to play.

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.
It's as simple as you want it to be and a fun little ride overall.

Ok, so if your into story and willing to deal with less about gameplay and more about content, then i suggest you pick up a Bioware game such as mass effect series, or dragon age origins. From what people tell me, they think that the shooting in mass effect series is broken, i personally don't think so,but then again it's not me who's playing it. there is also dragon age, one of my favorite RPG's because of how much depth they put into the story. Even Dragon Age 2 was good.... course short and felt more of an expansion but still playable under $20 or 10 to 15 Euros.
But i see that your into action RPG's so most likely you would go for fable series, preferably one and two. (those are my favorite because you can customize your char. the most)
now i don't know between these two games, but Skyrim and oblivion are very good RPG's. The difference between these two games though is
Graphics
Story
Mood
Theme
and some Mechanics....oh yeah and dragons.
i prefer Oblivion because of the mood. everyone is happier in oblivion where as Skyrim everyone is all moopy or complete jerks, and racist.
There's also Fallout series, but it's basically the same thing as Oblivion/Skyrim with guns.
and last but not least, my favorite and you may actually love it also.
Bastion: my all time favorite game for its art style, gameplay and story. seeing as how you like Diablo 3, this may be the best game for you because it plays just like it with a style that looks like it was painted on a canvas. The music is a mixture of Western, and Eastern Cultures so the music goes amazingly with the game and just the different customization of weapons. i suggest you get or just look at this game.

BloatedGuppy:

targren:

If that's the case, I'll tentatively agree that the original DE was a full out hybrid RPG. All I remember was the wobble-reticle. I don't recall my damage being effected, but it's been many years.

The only reticule wobble in Deus Ex was when using a scoped weapon. Higher levels in the relevant weapon skill would reduce and eventually eliminate the wobble.

When aiming normally, there was no wobble but rather the crosshairs would start wide and very slowly contract as long as the player didn't move. Higher skills would accelerate the crosshair contraction, eventually making it instant.

Higher skill levels would also increase damage with the relevant weapons and give other bonuses such as mitigating the heavy weapons movement penalty or giving the player more time to disarm explosives.

I don't know if that meets your requirements for RPG-ness, but there ya go.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked