You know, I still like a lot new games, but...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

...there are still some things that have gotten really popular that I really don't like. Not even major stuff, but really minor stuff. Like motion blur. I bloody hate motion blur. It distracts me and looks really stupid. I turn it off whenever I can because I dislike it so much.

So, I guess I was wondering: what are some of the minor things about modern gaming that you just despise? Do you think my hate of motion blur is justified? Do you hate the way most shooters handle zooming in with a sniper rifle? Do hit markers just annoy the hell out of you? What is it for you?

NOTE: This is about the minor gripes you have with modern games. This is not the place to complain about the inclusion of multiplayer in everything, dumbing down of modern games, the focus on becoming more cinematic, DLC, or any other such topics. This is the place to light-heartedly complain about small, annoying stuff, like motion blur. If you want to talk about that other stuff, please, do it in another thread.

Yeah, motion blur for me as well. That and dumbing down of modern games, the focus on becoming more cinematic long, unskippable tutorials.

That most games today have the screen get either
A) Red
B) Dark
C) Covered in splashes of red Kool-aid or
D) All of the above

When you're about to die. Like seriously, when I am about to die I want to try harder to get out alive, but this isn't possible when I can't see! I never had a problem when it was just flashing health bars, vibrating controllers, and audio cues. It's not even immersive or challenging either, it's just a pain in the ass. It's like putting a blindfold on someone who's running late for work.

Motion blur? I'm sorry, but I can't think of a single game in my huge library that has motion blur.

White Lightning:
A) Red
B) Dark
D) All of the above

+1

White Lightning:
audio cues.

But these also annoyed me. Especially that Pokemon/Zelda thing where an alarm plays if you get hurt enough. I'm personally a fan of a color-changing health bar :D

White Lightning:
A) Red
B) Dark
D) All of the above

When you're about to die. Like seriously, when I am about to die I want to try harder to get out alive, but this isn't possible when I can't see! I never had a problem when it was just flashing health bars, vibrating controllers, and audio cues. It's not even immersive or challenging either, it's just a pain in the ass. It's like putting a blindfold on someone who's running late for work.

Mass Effect 2's was especially horrible... especially considering that it's in third person

Achievements. Fine, I get that some people, soft headed fools mostly, seem to like them. I don't, how about letting me turn that shit off in the options ok?

Unskippable tutorials and cutscenes. If I'm starting a game over again, I don't want to be told how to move >:(

Edit: Oh, sorry, that was a huge thing I brought up.

Don't mind me.

Edit 2: When you're playing a co-operative multiplayer game, anything from MOBA to TDM, and nobody on your team has ever heard of the word 'co-operation' before.

Film Grain.

Who really wants their HD game to look grainy?

I was about to roll my eyes about the incoming nostalga wank/complaints about modern games I hear ALL THE FUCKING TIME...but honestly most of this stuff is fair

White Lightning:

like this...ESPECIALLY black and white...it actually makes me want to abuse the "regenerating health" thing just so I can see

Karutomaru:
Motion blur? I'm sorry, but I can't think of a single game in my huge library that has motion blur.

are we just talking about Wii games here?

Karutomaru:

White Lightning:
A) Red
B) Dark
D) All of the above

This is fairly often annoying as well. Especially when the enemies in games are the same color as the environment. Which is actually another complaint. Why are enemies in many games the same color as the environment? Yeah, it is realistic, but it is also really annoying, especially when I cannot tell where I am being shot from, because everyone has the powers of a bloody chameleon. D:<

On high difficulty modes where they reduce your damage by shit-loads but boost the health of enemies heaps as well. It makes automatic weapons useless (doing Insanity in Mass Effect 2 right now, all assault rifles are USELESS). Now, this might not sound like a big gripe, but it pisses me off to no end when an enemy on the highest difficulty can absorb 2 clips of rifle rounds, but dies instantly to a sniper shot to the leg.
If your gonna go the route of 'Difficulty = enemies have more health', don't reduce my damage to the point that the only useful guns are big, slow, clunky and take forever to reload - take off like, 10% damage and just give the enemies a solid HP boost. Hell, make it so I die in 2 hits so I'm stuck in cover for most of the fights, but don't make it so I can't kill shit with anything smaller than an Anti-Materiel Rifle.

Worst Offender: Mass Effect series. As the difficulty climbs, the weapon choices become 'Big gun with 1 bullet' or 'big gun with slow reload'.

Did it best: Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Highest difficulty turns your character into a wet paper bag, but enemies are still vulnerable to headshots (which any weapon can do), making for a more strategic play without limiting weapon choices.

BreakfastMan:
...there are still some things that have gotten really popular that I really don't like. Not even major stuff, but really minor stuff. Like motion blur. I bloody hate motion blur. It distracts me and looks really stupid. I turn it off whenever I can because I dislike it so much.

So, I guess I was wondering: what are some of the minor things about modern gaming that you just despise? Do you think my hate of motion blur is justified? Do you hate the way most shooters handle zooming in with a sniper rifle? Do hit markers just annoy the hell out of you? What is it for you?

NOTE: This is about the minor gripes you have with modern games. This is not the place to complain about the inclusion of multiplayer in everything, dumbing down of modern games, the focus on becoming more cinematic, DLC, or any other such topics. This is the place to light-heartedly complain about small, annoying stuff, like motion blur. If you want to talk about that, please, do it in another thread.

Sniper rifles only being able to zoom to set magnifications is fucking retarded. And they're all 5x and 10x. Let me manually choose my magnification, damn it! There are a few games that do, very few.

Limited sprinting. I weigh 300 lbs and have very poor stamina, and even I can sprint for more than a few seconds. Why can't my trained soldier/space marine/superpowered weirdo?

The way the majority of FPS's enforce a strict two gun limit. I get that it's meant to be more realistic but when I've just jumped a snowmobile over a fifty foot chasm it rings a little insincere.

And by way of that, I think weight limits in games like Skyrim are retarded. Granted it adds realism to only be able to carry so much but it doesn't account for mass: even if I could physically lift the weight of 300 apples I'd still be falling all over the place because my pack would be about twice the size of me.

rob_simple:
The way the majority of FPS's enforce a strict two gun limit. I get that it's meant to be more realistic but when I've just jumped a snowmobile over a fifty foot chasm it rings a little insincere.

I would be happy with a 4 weapon limit +1 melee button.

Seriously like, we dont need the 15 guns we had in doom era games but we NEED more then two.

Two weapon limits, and regn health murder tactics in online FPS. It just becomes a run in, shoot, die, reload cycle.

-I hate it when games incite you to create your own character (Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, any other Western RPG, etc.) and you spend hours thinking it looks awesome and then you start playing and realize it looks like a monkey's butt.
Annex: I hate the fact that no matter how customizable your character's physical traits are, the graphics still don't make me think this would be a real person. I mean, I don't want my character to come out of the screen and gimme a kiss or something. And I know it depends on the engine and cutscene limitations and all. But it just bugs me that I'm destined to customize my character so that he ends up looking like a butt face.

-PS3 only, I guess: I hate the fact that whenever I'm gonna save my progress, it immediately assumes I want a separate file from the one I've been using throughout the game. MGS4 did that a lot and I actually have at least 5 saved files, all of them are the same story and all but the game never assumed maybe, just maybe, I DO want to overwrite my old file by default!

-PS3 only #2: UPDATES! Really?! I have 30 minutes to play before going to work and I suddenly need yet ANOTHER update that will take around...oh, 28 minutes. Oh, and you can't do anything else while it updates.

-I hate that you can't be a good sniper because real-motion. I know this can be turned off for some games. But those who force you to either snipe fast or take the wind into consideration or your breathing rate or whatever just drive me nuts. Just let me kill the guy with one simple shot and make me feel empowered, dammit!

-Shaky camera. Must we have it for every single action cutscene? I can't really tell what's going on! Curse you, Blair Witch!

-Teams that don't know there is no I in Team. I've been playing Gotham City Impostors a lot lately and the few times our team sticks together, we kick major butt. But when I get a team that scatters or steals your kill or run away from you then that's a sad day. Because we lose. Horribly. And humiliatingly.

-It's been said before but: Unskippable cutscenes. I've died 5 times and I've had to watch the same cutscene 5 times. Oh, don't worry. I'm sure each time I watch that cutscene, I love it even more than the last time.

-Also said before: Dumb tutorials, especially those who won't let you advance until you "press X to attack" and "Use your analog stick to look around". Also, those tutorials that try to explain every single element of the game while playing. That's good and all but I probably could have figured out on my own that X lets you jump and Start pauses the game and brings up the menu. Egoraptor can explain this better than me. This is why I hated the latest Ratchet and Clank game, as much as I love that saga.
Corollary: Tutorials that explain what you need to do either very vaguely or for only 3 seconds. Up until today, I never figured out how to make charcoal on Minecraft because of this. Yeah, I'm too lazy to google it.

-Tiny font. Seriously, developers. There are still people out there with 32 in. SDTVs out there. Believe me, it's not a myth. We also like to play games, by the way. Also, not a rumor.

"Oh, you're carrying 299 items? That's fine, you are free to climb the highest mountain and brawl the most ferocious dragon. What's that? You wanna pick up that feather? But that would mean you'd have 300 items. Nope, no can do, sir. You gotta get rid of something because clearly you can't carry all that stuff. That's nonsense and unrealistic. Pfffbh."

I hate when games tout their multiplayer only to reveal that it's only available online with no option for split-screen. I can't understand the lack of bot-matches either honestly.

As for more minor grievances...unskippable scenes (especially if one plays before a difficult boss), RPGs with rising level-caps (final fantasy 13), and this:

I honestly don't like resorting to that meme but it's so painfully true. The only time I liked it was in Dark Void, where you play as Atton Rand.

I hate the ever growing trend of bald/helmeted/really short haired heroes.

Its like, devs, we know long hair is a pain to animate, but it doesn't need to be THAT good, I mean some basic animation and we will be fine, I just want to play a guy with long hair, or see a guy with long hair.

why does seemingly no one have long hair in games? WHY?

SajuukKhar:

rob_simple:

I would be happy with a 4 weapon limit +1 melee button.

Seriously like, we dont need the 15 guns we had in doom era games but we NEED more then two.

Two weapon limits, and regn health murder tactics in online FPS. It just becomes a run in, shoot, die, reload cycle.

I would settle for that, especially since you could then map them to the d-pad like Borderlands did.

The two gun limit is especially annoying in games like Resistance 2 where there are often specific weapons you're supposed to have for certain battles and if you don't have the psychic foresight to bring them you're going to get pounded into the ground over and over.

rob_simple:
I would settle for that, especially since you could then map them to the d-pad like Borderlands did.

The two gun limit is especially annoying in games like Resistance 2 where there are often specific weapons you're supposed to have for certain battles and if you don't have the psychic foresight to bring them you're going to get pounded into the ground over and over.

I miss the days of like Duke Nukem 3D, when on playing on hard mode you had 10 guns but no ammo for them, you had to make sure to use the right gun at the right time or you got screwed later on.

Nowadays FPS are "here's two guns and all the ammo you could ever want, now go run down this corridor"

I am still surprised that Half Life 2 manages to have better FPS mechanics then 90% of shooters released in the last 8 years.

I was pissed when they showed the bioshock 3 gameplay and it had a fing two weapon limit, the first one didn't, WHY did they change it? WWWWHHHHYYYY?

SajuukKhar:

rob_simple:

I miss the days of like Duke Nukem 3D, when on playing on hard mode you had 10 guns but no ammo for them, you had to make sure to use the right gun at the right time or you got screwed later on.

Nowadays FPS are "here's two guns and all the ammo you could ever want, now go run down this corridor"

I am still surprised that Half Life 2 manages to have better FPS mechanics then 90% of shooters released in the last 8 years.

I was pissed when they showed the bioshock 3 gameplay and it had a fing two weapon limit, the first one didn't, WHY did they change it? WWWWHHHHYYYY?

Yeah i miss those days too. Having to be forced to concerve ammo adds a heightened challange for me. Duke 3D was good at that. The older resident evils also were great at this if you played on a difficulty high enough to match your skill levels. Swear i only used the magnum revolver in res3 till right at the end with the multiple showdowns with final boss (didnt say who in case someone hasn't played it)

Karutomaru:

Is your entire library on a Gameboy?

EDIT; Now that I think of the it even the Gameboy had its own kind of motion blur.

OT:

I am not fond of the trend for multiplayer being shoved into everything and I am especially not fond of this new idea of tying it into the single player.

I dislike the 2 weapon limit and wish games would let me carry more than just two. Im fine with some kind of limit so that I can't carry every gun in the game but I want more than 2, especially annoying in games that have a lot of different weapons.

Also long unskippable tutorials. These are really annoying for when I am replaying a game.

EDIT: Also what the above poster said. I am already sick of multiplayer being forced into everything in the AAA market just for the sake of having an excuse for more DLC.

Beautiful End:

-Tiny font. Seriously, developers. There are still people out there with 32 in. SDTVs out there. Believe me, it's not a myth. We also like to play games, by the way. Also, not a rumor.

32 in SDTV? How fancy! I'm still using a 27 in 320p screen. I love the Mass Effect series, but good god I cannot read the tiny text in that game on my screen. :(

Other little complaints?
-Someone mentioned lazy higher difficulties. It feels like they don't really make it more difficult, just make it take longer, so I rarely bother with harder modes anymore, unless I'm achievement hunting.

-LOADING SCREENS! I just recently played Splinter Cell Conviction, which (whatever you feel about the rest of the game) does a great job of hiding loading screens behind cutscenes or exposition. On the other hand, many modern games have you sit through minute long loading screens to use an elevator, or enter a building. Put something there besides the boring placeholder images! Anything!

Shoggoth2588:
The only time I liked it was in Dark Void, where you play as Atton Rand.

I've heard very mixed things about Dark Void. Is the game itself any good? At least for the $10 it costs on Steam?

I miss actual instruction manuals... Not these little leaflets I'd expect to be handed out by Religious people or stuck under windscreen wipers.

first person bobbing when you move,
it's been around for like a decade so hardly new, but it's still like being on a boat.
kinda funny when you think about it...
Our minds have the head bobbing effect turned off (or negated) by default in real life,
but for some reason we have it turned on for 'added realism' in games XD

I'm sure I'm gonna get called an ass for this but all those complaints about motion blur? You can turn that off on pretty much any PC game. Why not on console? That's beyond me.

To be honest I don't know why most games on consoles don't provide some basic options to make gameplay more pleasant. Like turning off motion blur, bobbing, hints(goes for PC games too here),etc.

Gripes:
-Console games not letting the player make custom control mapping.

-Every game (Deadspace 3 now grrrr) being made into a wild shooter with witty one liners and dropping the original meaning of the game.

-Every shooter having regenerating health, mix it up guys come on.

- Every game having a limit of 1-4 weapons held at once.

Yeah I'm sure on that last one you're thinking "But Snot, surely 4 weapons are enough for a shooting game!"
Go play Serious Sam HD Eps 1 and 2 and say that again!

Shoggoth2588:
I hate when games tout their multiplayer only to reveal that it's only available online with no option for split-screen. I can't understand the lack of bot-matches either honestly.

As for more minor grievances...unskippable scenes (especially if one plays before a difficult boss), RPGs with rising level-caps (final fantasy 13), and this:

I honestly don't like resorting to that meme but it's so painfully true. The only time I liked it was in Dark Void, where you play as Atton Rand.

They repeated some of those faces... I think...

MiracleOfSound:

Karutomaru:

Is your entire library on a Gameboy?

No. It's on the Wii, PC, Nintendo DS, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance, and the Nintendo 3DS.

I don't have many problems seeing as I am not old enough for the nostalgia good ol' days. I haven't noticed motion blur in anything but KotOR and that's only using super speedy force power. And yes I have a pc ps3 xbox 360 and a wii.

White Lightning:
A) Red
B) Dark
D) All of the above

When you're about to die.

Oh god. That Kool-Aid part made me spit my Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard. Props to you, sir.

Beautiful End:
-Tiny font. Seriously, developers. There are still people out there with 32 in. SDTVs out there. Believe me, it's not a myth.

Have you played Prototype? The menu font's unreadable even on an HDTV. Yeah, it's tiny, which should be corrected when playing in an HD resolution, but it's made even worse because it's DARK RED TEXT ON A FUCKING BLACK BACKGROUND. Seriously, if I wasn't playing on an HDTV that was 2 feet from my face, I would barely be able to read that shit. I've played in SD on a 50 inch TV at one point, too. It really is as bad as I'm making it out to be.

OT: I also hate games like CoD, not only for their obvious health regen or weapon limit problems, but also for a zoomed sniper rifle swaying naturally unless you steady it using L3 or some shit. There are a number of problems with this:

First, I'm a heavy sniper rifle user in most FPS games I play, including some classic FPSs. I need pinpoint aim with that thing if the game is fast paced like Unreal Tournament (thankfully, UT has never actually used this mechanic). Yeah, no-scoping works just fine, but at long range it becomes extremely ineffective for a one-hit kill solution.

Second, L3 is a bitch to press if I'm playing a console FPS like CoD. I remember one time when I played against my brother in Black Ops, and he wrecked my shit with the sniper rifle while I had trouble holding down L3 while lining up my shot. It just seems so unnatural and counter-intuitive to have to hold down a stick/button that doesn't see much use in the first place.

White Lightning:
A) Red
B) Dark
D) All of the above

So much this. It's one of the many reasons why I gave up on Halo ODST. On top of the levels alternating between irritating and boring, half of them were fetch quests in pitch dark. So on top of hardly being able to see anyway because of the dark, when I get shot, my screen turns progressively darker and darker red, so I can see even less. So annoying.

VoidWanderer:
I miss actual instruction manuals... Not these little leaflets I'd expect to be handed out by Religious people or stuck under windscreen wipers.

There was actually an article about this a little while back. I completely agree, even RPGs are getting in on it now. Dark Souls is particularly annoying here, considering how complicated the mechanics are; it was bad enough that the game does a terrible job of explaining itself to you anyway, but it definitely wasn't helped by the (maybe) twenty page manual.

Unskippable cutscenes, no matter how long or short, or slow text. This is the 21st century people. Even MGS4 a game based almost entirely around cutscenes understood that some gamers did not want to sit through endless bullshit a second time around.

One thing that still astonishes me after all these years is how reviewers were tolerant of Assassin Creed's unskippable in-game engine scenes. I patiently sat through all of them cause I cared about the story, but then I wanted to show the game to my friends and it took almost 15 minutes to get to the GAME part of the game. I thought this would be merely a hiccup, but my friends report that subsequent games in the series also do this.

And yesterday when I tried my sister's borrowed copy of LA Noire (I had sat through her do some of the cases beforehand), I found I couldn't skip the overly long boring and slow intro to each case. One of the few times I've literally raged at a game and cursed its designers.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked