Feminist Kickstarter Project gets Harassed/Threatened

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Zydrate:
Besides. People CAN do something about it. People can donate to the kickstarter fund. That's something.

So we should donate to someone because you feel bad people are harassing them?

Christ, that's even worse than donating towards this crapfest in the first place. (Note that it's a crapfest not due to the topic (entirely) but because she clearly already HAS the means to create this show and is just begging for money because... well, she can. Kickstarter is at it's best when funding project that otherwise could not exist. That's why the concept was so exciting.)

Ragsnstitches:

I can see where some reactions can come from. If I was to fund her, it would be with the lowest possible amount because I want her to do this, but I don't want to pay for a gaming binge...

This is a weird one really.

It's no different than whatever funding she has had to binge on movies or books.

Freezy_Breezy:

Zydrate:
Besides. People CAN do something about it. People can donate to the kickstarter fund. That's something.

Christ, that's even worse than donating towards this crapfest in the first place. (Note that it's a crapfest not due to the topic (entirely) but because she clearly already HAS the means to create this show and is just begging for money because... well, she can. Kickstarter is at it's best when funding project that otherwise could not exist. That's why the concept was so exciting.)

*facepalm* Ugh, no, that's not what I meant.
I meant like giving her money as a sign of "They're being dicks, here's a donation, go you!"

I will repeat that I don't fully approve of the kickstarter thing she's doing. I don't think she needs the money. Reading other replies, I UNDERSTAND why she'd need a few grand for shiney cameras, travel costs for interviews, etc etc. I don't think she needs a HUNDRED THOUSAND to do this.

What I read in the article.
"Look, look how morally outraged I am, arn't I a good person?"

The abuse certainly shows that the issue needs to be addressed. I'm skeptical that she'll do a decent job of it though.

DrVornoff:

I know at some point, some moron will say something about the freedom of speech. But the freedom from speech is not freedom from consequence. If you let assholes be assholes, they'll just get worse.

Oh that's right. You won't because this is the internet and nothing about it matters. So much so, that you just can't wait to tell us all about it and how we're foolish we all are for not agreeing with you.

You don't have a real answer, do you.

Zydrate:

Ragsnstitches:

I can see where some reactions can come from. If I was to fund her, it would be with the lowest possible amount because I want her to do this, but I don't want to pay for a gaming binge...

This is a weird one really.

It's no different than whatever funding she has had to binge on movies or books.

Freezy_Breezy:

Zydrate:

*facepalm* Ugh, no, that's not what I meant.
I meant like giving her money as a sign of "They're being dicks, here's a donation, go you!"

Considering you can pay as little as $1, means that a gesture like that won't break the bank.

Also, has she done a public fund for her youtube videos before, or does she get revenue from youtube?

Considering I'm not particularly confident towards crowdfunding (waiting on a few projects to pan out before I take the plunge), don't take my word as anything other then mild scepticism towards the system and its users, not the intent behind the project.

Ragsnstitches:

Considering I'm not particularly confident towards crowdfunding (waiting on a few projects to pan out before I take the plunge), don't take my word as anything other then mild scepticism towards the system and its users, not the intent behind the project.

Like I've said a couple times before.
I'm right there with you, I'm skeptical with some of this.

I just don't like the hatefest. It's practically proving some feminist's points.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
I mean, granted, it by no means justifies the abuse, but what can you do? I think the right thing for everyone to do in this situation would just be to give less fucks. Some woman making a stupid documentary? Who cares?

You read my mind, at one point I was literally finishing your next sentence before I read it.

Zydrate:
Not familiar with the term.

Elaborate?

It's a manifestation of confirmation bias where the longer you argue a perspective, the more entrenched in an extreme position you become. It's most frequently used to describe the polarization of political belief, but it applies in all situations.

Simplest terms possible...when people argue emotionally, they tend to move further apart, rather than towards a point of consensus.

BloatedGuppy:

Zydrate:
Not familiar with the term.

Elaborate?

It's a manifestation of confirmation bias where the longer you argue a perspective, the more entrenched in an extreme position you become. It's most frequently used to describe the polarization of political belief, but it applies in all situations.

Simplest terms possible...when people argue emotionally, they tend to move further apart, rather than towards a point of consensus.

That makes sense. And it's a goddamned shame.

I'm guilty of my own "Fair point, but..." thing, but at least I make an effort to see other sides. Which is why despite being a casual feminist, you don't see me writing novels in reply to some of the posts here.

Brad Calkins:
You don't have a real answer, do you.

I wasn't talking to you directly because I know you won't and can't cite a single scholarly source to back up your absurdist claims. Now step aside, kid. You're done here.

Ragsnstitches:

Which is fine. I personally am just a little surprised people don't know that raising production values and gathering research materials costs, you know... money.

Zydrate:
That makes sense. And it's a goddamned shame.

I'm guilty of my own "Fair point, but..." thing, but at least I make an effort to see other sides. Which is why despite being a casual feminist, you don't see me writing novels in reply to some of the posts here.

Occasionally I've had someone say they've had their mind changed by something I've said. Not often, but every now and then. Even on these forums.

Of course, when it does happen, I always like to assume it's because I'm extraordinarily persuasive, rather than credit them with being open minded. =P

BloatedGuppy:

Occasionally I've had someone say they've had their mind changed by something I've said. Not often, but every now and then. Even on these forums.

Of course, when it does happen, I always like to assume it's because I'm extraordinarily persuasive, rather than credit them with being open minded. =P

Haha, that's just mean!
Sadly, I have not had such luck. Maybe I'm not as good of a writer as you (Though I don't know you, but the few posts I have seen has had some much welcomed humor).

I'm sure I'll be making many :D faces when it does.

DrVornoff:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
What we really need is some "real" feminists to come forward.

Trouble is, they do. And they inevitably get screamed down by the same insecure, emasculated little boys you describe. The kind who are so scared of women that they feel the need to verbally harass them online, though not in person because then the big scary cops would come by and get all Politically Correct on their asses.

I really do believe that modern culture has this weird fear of femininity. And men have forgotten how to be men.

I'm pretty sure that when Christina Hoff Summers, who is a "real feminist" by any definition of the words, got screamed down for presenting the concept of equity feminism vs gender feminism, it wasn't the "man-children" of the world that did it.

It's interesting how the internet is so selective in it's treatment of online abuse. Not to excuse the vicious taunting of the woman making political videos for youtube, but I'm pretty sure that if she was some nerdy guy making political propaganda about the stereotypical portrayal of vegetarians in video games as weak, soft targets for FPS man to explode into a gory mist, this conversation wouldn't even be happening.

I happen to like FPS games, and I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I've been told "you just got raped so bad", or seen "let's rape the shit out of the other team", and yet, these comments didn't ignite a six figure controversy. Is there a reason that this kind of abusive shit is acceptable there(at least to the point of not generating huge "I'm so offended" threads online), but it's a global famine level crisis when a political rhetorician is on the receiving end?

This strikes me as a "if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen" situation, in that if you're going to wet yourself over getting the same kind of harassment/abuse that "80smontagesrcool4evr" gets for posting 80s style montages on youtube every 3 days, maybe you should stop posting shit on youtube.

lowhat:

I happen to like FPS games, and I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I've been told "you just got raped so bad", or seen "let's rape the shit out of the other team", and yet, these comments didn't ignite a six figure controversy. Is there a reason that this kind of abusive shit is acceptable there(at least to the point of not generating huge "I'm so offended" threads online), but it's a global famine level crisis when a political rhetorician is on the receiving end?

You don't see it, then. That shit ISN'T acceptable. And there's multiple topics of such harassment all over the place. Extra Credits and Moviebob have covered it.

I grit my teeth every time I hear the term used in such a casual manner. Like how "gay" became synonymous with "stupid".

I'm a gay female atheist. Internet life for me is FUN.

lowhat:
I happen to like FPS games, and I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I've been told "you just got raped so bad", or seen "let's rape the shit out of the other team", and yet, these comments didn't ignite a six figure controversy. Is there a reason that this kind of abusive shit is acceptable there

I don't think it is. If a person can't act like a half-way decent human being in a social situation, then they should... uh, what's the phrase? Shut their damn mouths?

Hmmm, I wonder how much money and extra views all this hate is bringing her. If anything she should be thanking the haters for getting her thousands more views. I know I would never have even heard of her or her videos without al this hate being reported on.

Their attempts to silence or destroy her seem to have had the opposite effect.

Zydrate:

lowhat:

You don't see it, then. That shit ISN'T acceptable. And there's multiple topics of such harassment all over the place. Extra Credits and Moviebob have covered it.

I grit my teeth every time I hear the term used in such a casual manner. Like how "gay" became synonymous with "stupid".

Any chance you could link to those? I'm curious to see what, if any, differences there are in the level of comment traffic for an article about general internet harassment vs. the "misogynistic horde" article.

lowhat:

Zydrate:

lowhat:

Any chance you could link to those? I'm curious to see what, if any, differences there are in the level of comment traffic for an article about general internet harassment vs. the "misogynistic horde" article.

Certainly! Sadly, I cannot locate Moviebobs, it was in one of his "Junk Drawer/Mailbag" episodes, and I'll probably be heading to bed soon and don't have the time to hunt for it.

However: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/harassment

Treeinthewoods:

Censorship is generally a self-defeating practice because of that. All you do is call attention to that which you are trying to censor. I confess, there is a certain part of me that gleefully cackles at the wankers who attacked this Kickstarter and tried to get it shut down and defunded, only for it to now exceed its goal by several hundred percent. Still want to slap them, though.

Zydrate:

lowhat:

I was raised in a town where public stoning (biblical sense, not hippy sense) is apparently something we just ignore and move on.

What do I mean? Well a friend of mine was literally pelted with fist sized stones when going to school one day, by complete strangers, all because he had long hair, slightly overweight (and maybe because of the school we went to) and a little... "quirky". I presume this because I was there and watched it happen, as they jeered him about various things.

After a quick patch job from the closest thing we have to a medic (a staff member with cursory knowledge of Fist Aid), he was sent to class... no cops were called, no inquiry was made and no penalties were handed out to those asshats.

I was 15 at the time.

Needless to say, I've been furious towards complacency towards ANY form of bullying since. Not the bullying itself, but the lack of a social contingency to properly deal with it. I've made efforts, but too few people seem bothered enough to concern themselves on the well-being of others.

What I see here, and is possibly why I take such a strong stance towards this, is that if anything Complacency and wilful ignorance is WORSE then the bullying, as it reaffirms the messages sent by the bullies.

The abuse they suffer from is a wound... the complacency is a poisonous infection that spreads and causes more damage over time.

What I see here, on this site and on the internet as a whole, isn't the brutes, the bullies and the belligerents but the people who give them a free pass to harm others and in turn poisoning the minds of those who are affected.

Sorry about the rant, I just needed to vent. Your back and forth with lolwhat just struck a chord.

Ragsnstitches:

I was raised in a town where public stoning (biblical sense, not hippy sense) is apparently something we just ignore and move on.

What do I mean? Well a friend of mine was literally pelted with fist sized stones when going to school one day, by complete strangers, all because he had long hair, slightly overweight (and maybe because of the school we went to) and a little... "quirky". I presume this because I was there and watched it happen, as they jeered him about various things.

After a quick patch job from the closest thing we have to a medic (a staff member with cursory knowledge of Fist Aid), he was sent to class... no cops were called, no inquiry was made and no penalties were handed out to those asshats.

I was 15 at the time.

Needless to say, I've been furious towards complacency towards ANY form of bullying since. Not the bullying itself, but the lack of a social contingency to properly deal with it. I've made efforts, but too few people seem bothered enough to concern themselves on the well-being of others.

What I see here, and is possibly why I take such a strong stance towards this, is that if anything Complacency and wilful ignorance is WORSE then the bullying, as it reaffirms the messages sent by the bullies.

The abuse they suffer from is a wound... the complacency is a poisonous infection that spreads and causes more damage over time.

What I see here, on this site and on the internet as a whole, isn't the brutes, the bullies and the belligerents but the people who give them a free pass to harm others and in turn poisoning the minds of those who are affected.

Sorry about the rant, I just needed to vent. Your back and forth with lolwhat just struck a chord.

Hehe, I understand. Like I keep saying, a quote I got from a game (appropriately enough), on several posts throughout my posting frenzy today;

Apathy is Death.

Zydrate:

lowhat:

Zydrate:

Certainly! Sadly, I cannot locate Moviebobs, it was in one of his "Junk Drawer/Mailbag" episodes, and I'll probably be heading to bed soon and don't have the time to hunt for it.

However: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/harassment

DO I need to create an account to be able to see the comments to that video? Or did it just not receive any comments?

lowhat:

DO I need to create an account to be able to see the comments to that video? Or did it just not receive any comments?

http://extra-credits.net/episodes/harassment/#discuss

:)

Zydrate:

Ragsnstitches:

I was 15 at the time.

Hehe, I understand. Like I keep saying, a quote I got from a game (appropriately enough), on several posts throughout my posting frenzy today;

Apathy is Death.

You mean this?

Good game... won't rate his video editing too highly though.

Ragsnstitches:

Zydrate:

Apathy is Death.

You mean this?

Hahaha! Indeed! It's one of my favorite quotes along with "If it's not broken, there's no need to fix it"
Or commonly known as "If it ain't broke, dun' fix it."

...I use that one for games pretty often, too.

Ragsnstitches:

Zydrate:

lowhat:

I was 15 at the time.

Let me guess, you don't see how hyperbole frequently trivializes the thing it was meant to highlight. As in, comparing actual physical assault that resulted in injury to the point of medical treatment being required, to words on youtube, trivializes the suffering that your friend went through, and reduces it to the level of emotionally hurtful but not physically damaging comments made by anonymous strangers(which should be disregarded as the drivel it is).

You're right, bullying sucks. I was subject to it, many people are subject to it, it is a throwback to a different time in evolutionary history which should be left to the dustbin of history. Getting beaten up is in no way, shape, or form equivalent to what is being discussed here.

The reality is, that if you choose to create and put your creations on a public stage, they are going to be ridiculed, your competence and worth as an artist and human being will be called into question, and that's just the way it is. Obviously, there is a right way to do this(professional critics) and a wrong way(the subject under discussion), but there is no way that choosing to put yourself in the line of fire is comparable to being physically assaulted for being different, unless farfetched is your middle name.

Zydrate:

lowhat:

That somewhat confirms what I was expecting. 17 comments on that video, vs 800+(and counting) on the misogynistic horde article. Obviously, not a very fair comparison as it's a different format, but I would be surprised if a similar article posted on this forum would generate 800+ comments, or even 200+ for that matter.

lowhat:
The reality is, that if you choose to create and put your creations on a public stage, they are going to be ridiculed, your competence and worth as an artist and human being will be called into question, and that's just the way it is. Obviously, there is a right way to do this(professional critics) and a wrong way(the subject under discussion), but there is no way that choosing to put yourself in the line of fire is comparable to being physically assaulted for being different, unless farfetched is your middle name.

So you don't believe that constant harrassment, stalking, and trying to cause someone fiscal and professional damage is in any way something worth taking action against? My sister endured terrible verbal harassment at school. Are you going to sit there and tell me that was just a matter of hurt feelings and not a big deal?

lowhat:

Zydrate:

lowhat:

That somewhat confirms what I was expecting. 17 comments on that video, vs 800+(and counting) on the misogynistic horde article. Obviously, not a very fair comparison as it's a different format, but I would be surprised if a similar article posted on this forum would generate 800+ comments, or even 200+ for that matter.

To be fair, I don't really hear about men being insulted just for being men.
I don't know of any male equalivants(sp?) to "Get back in the kitchen" or "fucking ovendodger".

Anyway, I need sleep and stuff T_T

DrVornoff:

lowhat:

So you don't believe that constant harrassment, stalking, and trying to cause someone fiscal and professional damage is in any way something worth taking action against? My sister endured terrible verbal harassment at school. Are you going to sit there and tell me that was just a matter of hurt feelings and not a big deal?

Are you even capable of having a discussion without constantly resorting to strawmen? Because if this thread is any indication, the answer is no.

You're probably surprised at not getting serious replies, too.

Zydrate:

lowhat:

Zydrate:

To be fair, I don't really hear about men being insulted just for being men.
I don't know of any male equalivants(sp?) to "Get back in the kitchen" or "fucking ovendodger".

Anyway, I need sleep and stuff T_T

Cannon fodder. Historically a male only term of derision, implying that if one is poor/powerless like the vast majority of men who have ever lived, and you don't possess valuable ovum/future peons in your sex organs, your only value is to act as a meat shield for some other rich/powerful guy's projectiles.

Zydrate:

wetnap:
Its a predictable response to a predictable rant. She choose to be a feminist link bait troll, that is what she is, and it is a very successful model, look at jezebel. Take outrageous stances, cry hysteria, generate rage, benefit from rage, as no publicity is bad publicity.

You could expect the same if some loser guy decided to do some socialogical study/attack on twilight as being filled with sexism against men.

I shouldn't even bother replying to an argument as shallow as this...
But I get the impression you haven't watched anything of hers.

Her Kickstarter request video was noticeably modeled after her other videos. Same tone of voice and all. It was all done in the same style... She simply wants it to look nicer.

(Again, in my opinion, she doesn't need 100,000 dollars to do this... But I find the goal she's going for perfectly acceptable).

She's not trolling >_>

Its not shallow at all, just seeing the actually game she is playing, and many others like her have been for quite some time now. Its pure manipulation for profit and its sad you have not noticed. Linkbait journalism, and in this case tabloid feminism link bait journalism has become a successful business on the internet.

lowhat:
Are you even capable of having a discussion without constantly resorting to strawmen? Because if this thread is any indication, the answer is no.

You're probably surprised at not getting serious replies, too.

It was a serious question. I'm not a mind reader, I just pretend to be one on stage. If I've misinterpreted you, then just fucking say so. Also, don't bullshit me. I told you that I don't think the trash talk most gamers engage in is anything resembling appropriate behavior either, and you just blew me off.

So let's try again with a different question. When it comes to verbal/digital harassment, where do you draw the line and go, "Wow, someone should do something about that!"?

lowhat:

Ragsnstitches:

Zydrate:

I was 15 at the time.

Let me guess, you don't see how hyperbole frequently trivializes the thing it was meant to highlight. As in, comparing actual physical assault that resulted in injury to the point of medical treatment being required, to words on youtube, trivializes the suffering that your friend went through, and reduces it to the level of emotionally hurtful but not physically damaging comments made by anonymous strangers(which should be disregarded as the drivel it is).

You're right, bullying sucks. I was subject to it, many people are subject to it, it is a throwback to a different time in evolutionary history which should be left to the dustbin of history. Getting beaten up is in no way, shape, or form equivalent to what is being discussed here.

Setting a precedence in my view on this is not something I'm worried about... I FIND IT INTOLERABLE. There is no degree of measurement in which I can measure my disdain for wilful apathy. If someone is actively trying to harm someone else... and i mean HARM, and others just shrug it off and let the victim deal with it, I will flip, regardless of the extent of the harm.

Also, are you aware that there were deliberate and organised attempts at sabotaging this kickstarter? That goes well beyond the realms of criticism and dives straight into the realm of oppression and censorship.

Or how about attempts at discrediting her as a person. Not her work, but herself, irrelevant towards what she does. That isn't criticism. That's an attack.

Oh yeah, and forget the fact that most of the verbal assaults were drawn out simply because she has different type of genitalia. Again nothing to do with the artist and her work. Just biology and social ignorance.

No matter how futile their gestures may seem in regards to the project, the reaction OTHER people have towards it is inexcusable.

Do I differentiate the impact of both of these scenarios? No... because its NOT those acts I'm scrutinising. It's the IGNORANCE and COMPLACENCY that other people encourage and which seems to infest society at almost every level. That is the worst offence. I have fought people on multiple occasions over this poisonousness logic.

If you think I'm belittling my friends assault because I'm furious about the inaction by absolutely everybody with power to actually do something then you are dead wrong and completely miss actual problem at hand.

My point had nothing to do with comparing the Physical Assault or the Misogynistic Attacks against that Kickstarter. It was a personal incident which I could use to illustrate the flaws of apathetic behaviour. Of which I have no tolerance for.

Treeinthewoods:
Hmmm, I wonder how much money and extra views all this hate is bringing her. If anything she should be thanking the haters for getting her thousands more views. I know I would never have even heard of her or her videos without al this hate being reported on.

See, 4chan CAN do good... or bad. I can't really decide

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked