26.1% (43)
Majora's Mask
58.2% (96)
58.2% (96)
None! I want a new Zelda!
15.2% (25)
15.2% (25)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Shigeru Miyamoto Can't Decide: A Link To The Past or Majora's Mask?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

An interview with Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto with IGN has been spreading around the web today, claiming he stated this about the next Zelda title:

"We haven't quite decided yet, whether we're going to do A Link to the Past, because there's also the possibility of doing a remake of Majora's Mask. This is something we've certainly been talking about and doing a little bit of experimenting with, to figure out which way we're going to go."

"We have so many goals right now. We're always looking at expanding our audience and giving people the opportunity to get their hands on 3DS and see what kind of fun gaming experiences they can have. And now, we're also tasked with pushing the Wii U. So we have lots of good opportunities in terms of thinking about which Zelda game is going to be best for which purpose."

Personally, I think that they should really do a remake of Majora's Mask, as it would fit in well with Ocarina of Time 3D, and Majora's Mask is one of the most under-appreciated Zelda games, so realising it for the 3DS would allow a much larger audience to be able to play it. However, Shigeru has wanted to make a remake of Link To The Past since Ocarina Of Time first started development.

What do you guys think? Would you like a remake of A Link To The Past or Majora's Mask? Would you like it for Wii U or 3DS?

I really didn't like link to the past, even though it was my first one.
Majoras mask on the other hand, while I've never gotten very far, was absolutely amazing in all the sidequests and just the general atmosphere. It was absolutely astonishing.

I think I would like a majoras mask hd remake on the wii u, but at this point I really wouldn't care. I buy everything Zelda so I'd be content with anything that they release. Unfortunately it sounds like only the 3ds will get it and I'd love to see a nice colorful hd Zelda game.

As someone who's played both I like Majora's Mask a lot more, they were really creative with the way the games structured and thematically it's a lot darker than any other zelda game.

I preferred Link's Awakening over Ocarina of Time and I hear LLTP is very similar so I would rather see a remake of LTTP.

I hope they do a link to the past I still think its the best Zelda game (except four swords adventures with 4 people) even though its not my favourite. If they could just update it that would be great oh and maybe scale back the difficulty a tad thats the only thing that annoyed me with it.

Why can't we just have a new Zelda title for 3DS?

But I'd say Majoras Mask. I have never played it so wouldn't mind giving it a go.

NPC interactions in Majoras Mask is something a lot of games should strive for.

Majoras Mask holds a special place in my heart, since it was my first Zelda game. That's what I voted even if my opinion is bias.

isn't Majora's Mask a sequel to ALttP already? the game is compromised on a 3 day schedule where you travel back in time to give yourself more time

so why not do the same on a bigger scale? Link travels to the dark world to collect masks that only take effect in the present world/past. So while in the dark world items are the main thing while in the light world the mask help you traverse the world :/

I'd rather have a completely original Zelda game. Zelda doesn't need to do remakes, their quality is always consistently good. The older games are still as good now as they ever were, they don't need to be totally re-created to be appreciated. I'd rather see what new ideas and experiences they can come up with.

But if I had to pick between those 2 games I'd prefer a remake of A Link to the Past on WiiU. It would be really cool to see how a top down Zelda from so long ago would translate in to a fully 3D game on a brand new system. I'd love to play that.

Never played either, but I'd like to try MM

GZGoten:
isn't Majora's Mask a sequel to ALttP already? the game is compromised on a 3 day schedule where you travel back in time to give yourself more time

so why not do the same on a bigger scale? Link travels to the dark world to collect masks that only take effect in the present world/past. So while in the dark world items are the main thing while in the light world the mask help you traverse the world :/

Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to the child Link future of OoT.

OT: Majora's Mask was one of my favorite games ever. People always give all of the credit to OoT, but MM was better in every way. I would love an HD remake.

GZGoten:
isn't Majora's Mask a sequel to ALttP already?

No. Majora's Mask is a sequel to Ocarina of Time.

OT: Why can't I have all 3?

ALttP was good.
MM is the best game ever.
A new Zelda game would be interesting.

Majora's Mask would be awesome.

I didn't like ALTTP at all. It is probably the worst Zelda game I've ever played.

Depends...

If by remake of A Link to the Past they mean remake it in the 3D Adventure style of more recent Zeldas, then do that. It'd be really cool to experience AlttP as a 3D game, and it'd practically be a new game. If they mean the same top down view with 3D implemented, I'd prefer they just go with Majora's Mask. We can always go back and play the original in the 2D style. From a marketing standpoint, casual players would probably be more likely to pick up a 3D adventure game than a 2D one with the landscape coming out at them.

Optimally, they should do both AND create a new Zelda and give us 4 high quality Zelda titles on a handheld (not including the VC titles). If they want to do one or the other, I really wish they'd do AlttP (If it's how I stated previously) as that'd be more of a new experience than MM, but I know MM would probably beat out ALttP.

Either way, it's a win-win situation IMO.

Edit:

Matthew94:
I preferred Link's Awakening over Ocarina of Time and I hear LLTP is very similar so I would rather see a remake of LTTP.

Link's Awakening is a sequel to ALttP (along with the Oracle games for the Gameboy Color) so you might enjoy seeing what happened before Link's Awakening.

WiiU can have Link to the Past. I want Majora's Mask on 3DS.

I just dont get it, why would anyone even want a remake of lttp? The game is GORGEOUS, pixelmagic at its best. How can it even possibly get any better?

As always captcha agrees: Carry on

Majora's Mask was already in 3D. I want to see a REALLY upgraded Link to the Past.

Well it depends. For LttP if by remake they mean a full three dimensional remake (like all Zelda game since OoT). If they're just going to do what they did with LttP on the GBA then Majora's Mask would be the obvious choice for me.

>ALttP

But we already got the 3D remake!

Majora's Mask. I want to SEEEE the moon falling.

I think the only way I would get interested in Zelda again is if they did 1 of three things.

First. Forget all the games with Gannondorf and go back to the old school days of Gannon who was an oppressive, monsterous wizard of near unimaginable power. Then continue with Links hero's journey off of the last true sequal of the Zelda series: Link's awakening

Second. Do a remake of one of the previous games but play up the opressive apocolyptic state that hyrule became under Gannon's rule.

Third. Make it actually about Zelda. The confident and empowered adventurer style princess and not just "the girl that needs to get saved"

I can only stomach so many HD remakes before I draw the line.

Majora's Mask is a good game, but I've ALREADY PLAYED IT. I've experienced all the charm and themes and mood the game has to offer, going back and playing it won't have any effect on me but sentimental statements like "oh yea this was cool".

Make a better Zelda game that tries something new with the IP. Make me play as someone besides Link. Make me achieve something besides "save the princess from the badguy". Make me do something other than run around doing bullshit side missions and clear terrible water dungeons.

I'm not saying Zelda games are bad, but we've DONE THEM BEFORE. The magic of the adventure is gone.

While I love both games, I already have both and have finished both. A new one is where my desires lie. The Zelda I really want made is a game starring the Hero of Time again. After all, he was still adventuring after Majora's Mask and eventually became the Hero's Shade/Shadow or whatever you want to call him. I'm really interested in seeing whatever he went through that lead him to that point.

When I found out they were making a updated Ocarina of Time, my first immediate thought was that I hoped they'd make a Majora's Mask update as well.
Because seriously, we already have a remake of OOT, it's called Twilight Princess.

Haven't played Link to the Past yet

I'd rather see LTTP. MM's time travel really only served to annoy me, having to repeat the exact same steps over and over again just got really old really fast. It didn't help that it never occurred to me that the bank might exist outside the space time continuoum (seriously, why would I think it would) until halfway throught the game.

Having only played Zelda 1, 2 and 3 - I have to go for A Link to the Past.

But really I haven't cared about Zelda in years...

The N64 Zelda games where terrible I would rather see A Link to the Past or even better The Adventure of Link.

Majora's Mask, or else...

Majoras Mask, because I want the shit to be literally scared out of me on my throne.

Why remake these great games if people can also play the originals? Both A Link of the Past and Majora's Mask are already available on the Wii's Virtual Console. I assume that also means they will be playable on the WiiU and could easily be added to the VC of the 3DS (or maybe they already are, I don't own a 3DS).

Furthermore, A Link to the Past already has a remake (or glorified port, if you will) for the Gameboy Advance.

So yeah, they should concentrate on a new Zelda. If they really want to remake something, I think they'd better pick a game not many people have played due to limited availability (e.g. Earthbound); or make a remake that truly adds something to an original that was too difficult for most audiences and/or had some major design flaws (Metroid: Zero Mission is an excellent example of such a remake, in my opinion).

Link to the Past is already available on mobile platform: GBA

Majora's Mask is my favorite of the franchise.

-Best* Powers

-Best* Story

-Best* Villain

-Bonus Items/weapons in each dungeon

-Best* Side Quests

*"Best" of course conveying a personal opinion

archvile93:
I'd rather see LTTP. MM's time travel really only served to annoy me, having to repeat the exact same steps over and over again just got really old really fast. It didn't help that it never occurred to me that the bank might exist outside the space time continuoum (seriously, why would I think it would) until halfway throught the game.

It doesn't. You're just stealing from them.

Think about it, why do they go out of your way to point out that stamp on your wrist every time?

Windcaler:

Second. Do a remake of one of the previous games but play up the opressive apocolyptic state that hyrule became under Gannon's rule.

Third. Make it actually about Zelda. The confident and empowered adventurer style princess and not just "the girl that needs to get saved"

It's unfortunate that you consider awakening the "last real sequel" considering ocarina of time did both of these things word for word.

Do both and bundle them for the Wii U?

Majoras Mask is not only my favourite Zelda but one of my favourite games period. To be fair though, i have never player played Link to the past and a remake could be a good opportunity to do so. Still, i want MM with better graphics. That game pretty much was my childhood.

captcha: moon cheese.
Yeah... you know, the moon falling down was always a pretty unconventional story for a videogame. Especially for a Zelda.

MightyMole:

Matthew94:

Link's Awakening is a sequel to ALttP (along with the Oracle games for the Gameboy Color) so you might enjoy seeing what happened before Link's Awakening.

Yeah I know. The problem with gaming is there are too many games that I need to play. To many "Must haves".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked