What Would the World Be like without Video Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I think think with out video games the world would be in Apocalyptic Terror and that people would be driven to madness and forced to be productive in the real world.

Shallow.

Empty.

Dull.

What's the point of free time without some electronic stimulation?

In all seriousness, I dunno. I think people would just argue and complain about other stuff on the internet. People would still have hobbies to obsess over.

PROBABLY... a lot of thompsons and dicks trying to ban chess and checkers for promoting violent and agressive behaviour.

Z of the Na'vi:
Shallow.

Empty.

Dull.

Uhm. Movies and Music, anyone?
Without games, I'd be doing the same thing with movies and music.

People would either masturbate a lot more or a lot less.

It'd probably end up with people being productive. Imagine the horror!

Going completely off-topic here, but really, though, how would that work? Considering the foundation for a computer would still be there, and it'd still be accepting input, how would someone not eventually create something at the very least similar to a game?

EternalFacepalm:
It'd probably end up with people being productive. Imagine the horror!

Going completely off-topic here, but really, though, how would that work? Considering the foundation for a computer would still be there, and it'd still be accepting input, how would someone not eventually create something at the very least similar to a game?

The council banned games because they had AI in them and the mistakenly thought that it was actual ai not the dumbasses they truly are.

A terrible world. A very boring one too. But guys it is a world without video games not a world without the internet. The only way people are actually going to be productive is if we shut down the internet, Destroy TV, Take away video games, pretty much destroy entertainment, and destroy all pubs(because even in the middle ages people slacked off by going to taverns).

EternalFacepalm:

Dunno, games existed before computers. The video games are just an extension of them. If somebody made a new thing tomorrow that's not a computer, but somehow allows games to be played, it would take no actual time before people adopt it for gaming. Gamers are ingenious and resourceful like that. And you are correct - if we could apply that to the real world...

Probably not much different then it is now.

I imagine if something wasn't invented then people wouldn't miss it. I imagine I'd probably be a lot fitter as I wouldn't have spent so much time inside playing video games when I was younger and the news would be trying to blame the latest bout of shootings on the corrupting influence of Chess.

If you really want to know what its like to exist in a world without video games, why not ask someone that grew up when there were none.

Paya Chin:
PROBABLY... a lot of thompsons and dicks trying to ban chess and checkers for promoting violent and agressive behaviour.

Oh man.... I laughed hard at that.

Hmm...I will have no entertainment except for sitting next to my computer listening to songs all day. And I will lead the most normalest life of normal.

I'm sure we'd all manage, just like those poor people allergic to dairy can handle not living with chocolate. If it didn't exist, then you can't miss it.

Seriously though, I wouldn't know what to do with myself all day. I'd probably end up watching TV constantly, or reading, or writing to keep myself entertained. Probably they'd invent one player board games to stave off the total boredom we'd all face. Honestly, I'm so glad they do exist, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Xenenon:
I think think with out video games the world would be in Apocalyptic Terror and that people would be driven to madness and forced to be productive in the real world.

I think if we never had video games, then people would go outside more and play more board games

There's "always" been games, and unless it's about a world where the technology hadn't reached a point where it was possible for electronic interactive entertainment to exist, then it's an impossible thought, as there couldn't even really be electricity.

And scratching technology is impossible because that's just how humankind has been working for since it's existence, progressing, whether it's been better or for worse.

It's an impossible question, and an oxymoron in a way too, so my answer is: blueberries. A fuckload of blueberries.

I think other people's children would generally speaking, be less irritating to be around.

hazabaza1:
People would either masturbate a lot more or a lot less.

That was pretty damn funny. Kudos.

Well assuming video games never happened I'm sure we'd be alright. Every other form of entertainment would have a much higher place, especially books, probably would also have more people dropping acid too though since there is nothing good on the telly.

Assuming video games just up and disappeared right now I would probably cry for a while in bed listening to a lot of Lead Zeppelin, then after a while resume surfing the web in the knowledge that a large chunk of it is now gone. It wouldn't leave me with nothing to do, but I would have a lot less to do.

Edit: Oh god, there would be Let's Plays of board games, that would be funny if... hang on.

ReEdit: There are Let's Plays of BOARD GAMES! And I will have to watch them later cause they look interesting. :?

Think of it like this a video game was created and it was the most awesome thing in your life and then it just was destroyed. Say you got really addicted and the game was just took away and nothing else was virtually made.

The only thing that can be said really is that I would have likely got into comics a lot earlier and would likely have a much larger collection of comics, collectibles, toys, etc. I guess instead of Final Fantasy and, Legend of Zelda, I would likely be focusing on...Justice League and probably New Avengers, Fantastic Four, etc.

Well, I'd be a weeaboo as my few other interests would fill the void.

I imagine there would be a lot more school shootings.

many lives would have ended due to extreme boredom

Without games, we'd find something else to occupy our leisure hours. I'd go back to reading a lot more (which I really should be doing), and play as a loose concept wouldn't disappear without video games. You'd end up with correspondence chess message boards, book clubs, movie-going groups and all sorts of other things.

We're just conditioned to think this would be lame because, well, most of us haven't lived for weeks on end without power or some sort of backup generator. If there's any other Quebec natives on the board, you might remember 1995's epic ice storm. Most of us in the Saint Lawrence valley lost power for almost two months.

Two entire months without gaming of any kind whatsoever. I ended up reading a fuckton of books by candlelight, playing board games and coaxing some of my friends into starting up a Vampire: the Masquerade campaign, which we had the time to carry to its very end.

Sure, most of the food we ate was undercooked and we saw folks getting carted off by the Army because of their homes being just plain unsanitary without power to facilitate upkeep and with the coldest nights making things hard as shit - but we kept ourselves sane and entertained.

So, a world without vijamagaems? I'd regret that, but I'd totally survive.

CAPTCHA: you win.
Why thank you, Captcha.

Well, seeing as I'm playing a game right now and watching a Let's Play... I'd be bored?

it would be more productive. thats all.

Speaking from the perspective of a guy who has spent 13 years out of 17 gaming...
Incredibly depressing.

Sounds like not my world, so i must escape using my awesome remote!
C'mon!, Professor, Rembrandt and Wade, let's Slide!

Z of the Na'vi:
Shallow.

Empty.

Dull.

real life stimulation

Less Virgins.

Less Obersity.

Less Rage.

But I will be damned if I am willing to live in that world.

Not too different.

There's zillions of ways to amuse oneself besides videogames like say playing airsoft/paintball, hiking, partying the like.

We would all be more bored and angry. Nihilism and self destructive behaviour would be even more prevalent. Probably there would be a revolution.

I dunno, but one thing for sure: I would have shot myself from severe depression in this alternate world.

Well, there'd be no apocalypse, or anything. I mean, the world got along fine before they came along.

This alternate world WOULD be, however, severely lagging behind our world in terms of technology of many varieties, as well as in artistic and economic development.

I once wrote an (admittedly condensed) essay about the societal contributions of the interactive media.

That said, it seems a rather impossible situation; as media has evolved artistically and technologically its naturally grown to encompass more and more of our cognitive processes. First we saw situations explained, then we listened to them explained, then we saw them played out, then we saw AND heard them played out, then we played them out ourselves. Interaction was always a logical conclusion to media development, and I doubt it could be avoided barring some massive technology-altering world event.

Well for one thing there will be alot more proactive people out there.

I would probably use some of that time to read books more often. perhaps some sort of outside activity as well like biking.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked