66% (128)
66% (128)
No
34% (66)
34% (66)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Successful New IPs That Aren't Shooters

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I was playing my friend's 360 at his house, when after an hour or so I had gotten tired of MW3, so I went over to his collection of games and to my horror, there were only shooters. It then struck me that the 360 has had barely any non-shooter exclusives, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the only things that seem to ever do well in the states outside of the wii are games where you point at something, press a button, and wait until enough time has elapsed for it to die.

In fact I couldn't even think of a single successful IP (like Legend of Zelda or Halo) in this console generation that WASN'T a shooter; mind you I eventually remembered rock band, assassin's creed, and the batman arkham games (which are honestly fairly similar to assassin's creed). But that's just 3!

To restore my faith that the industry is not spiraling towards stagnation please help me come up with some examples of successful non-shooter IPs born out of this console generation.

No, their aren't "too many" shooters being released, you friend just buys more of them than other games.
Out of the 50 current gen games on my shelf at the moment, 39 of them are not shooters.

I'd say Heavy Rain was pretty darn successful. Also, King Arthur (the RTS), Shogun 2, Minecraft and SKYRIM!

Also, when Persona 4 Golden comes out, I'm pretty sure it'll sell like crazy. I mean, it's Persona 4! I bought a Vita JUST for it!

Ohh, heavy rain, that's a good example, also Minecraft. Shogun and Skyrim aren't new IPs though. Also, what 39 games does imahobbit own? That sounds like a hell of a lot of games in the first place, to clarify, I was asking if too many Shooter IPs are being released.

Alan wake is another good one.

Kingdoms of Amalur? Viva Pinata? Dead Space?

Just a few from the top of my head. Besides, how many new shooter IPs can you name to help prove your claim? Also 39 games is far from a lot, you may go into shock if you look at my profile (and I don't think my collection is above average for this site).

There are a lot of shooters right now yes.
However there a plenty of non shooters too, although im not as sure about new ips, nothing springs to mind but that is probably just me not thinking of any.

How about demon/dark souls? Or all the zombie games like Dead rising? There is plenty of variety in games, some of them can just be hard to find since shooters are the most popular.

Yeah the 360 has always been about the shooters, I bought one last year not for the crappy console FPS titles but for 2D shooters like REZ HD and the CAVE shmups. Theres a few other XBLA titles that are exclusive like Castle Crashers and Treasure's Guardian Heroes HD. Theres the Kinect crap aswell.

If I wasn't intrested in shmups and XBLA I would have bought a PS3 instead. For now the 360s back catalog and recent non exclusives keep me busy. Some earlier games to run better on the 360 like Bayonetta

GoaThief:

...Dead Space has guns (though of course they'll never admit it)...doesn't that qualify as a shooter?

Trufax: Shooters make up less of the market now than platformers did in the 8- and 16-bit eras.

Other new non-shooter IPs from this generation include Prototype, Dragon Age, Xenoblade, BlazBlue, LittleBigPlanet, Demon's/Dark Souls, Darksiders, and arguably Infamous.

GoaThief:

Also, what 39 games does imahobbit own? That sounds like a hell of a lot of games in the first place

You do realise there are a lot of us around here with well over a hundred games in our collections?

39 games is pretty low.

There really aren't that many shooters out these days. Not while Ubisoft shovels their half-assed minigame collections out. All the quality games are pretty varied, but there aren't much of them.

Daget Sparrow:

GoaThief:

...Dead Space has guns (though of course they'll never admit it)...doesn't that qualify as a shooter?

I'd call dead space a shooter. It's just a shooter where the targets happen to be gribbly things that jump out at you rather than dudes with guns or aliens.

OT:

Amnesia. And also every other popular indie game... minecraft, bastion, super meat boy etc. Casual games, eg angry birds. Ratchet and Clank too, it might count as a shooter but its a million miles away from COD. Most MMOs. Fable. Skyrim, Dark Souls, etc. The IPs you already mentioned. Viva Pinata. I wouldn't count GTA as a shooter. Star wars games usually arent shooters. Oddworld games are coming back soon, so those. Alien/predator games, superhero games, etc. PORTAL. Uhhhhm.

Idk. There's loads. The only shooters I can think of are COD, Battlefield, halo, ghost recon aaaaand that's it off the top of my head. Oh yeah, medal of honour.

Daftatt:
Also, what 39 games does imahobbit own? That sounds like a hell of a lot of games in the first place

Yeah...Steam tells me I have 79 games there. Well, some are the same game, though (there is Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, and the multiplayer is treated as a separate game), so let's call them 60. That's only on Steam, though, on GOG I have another 33 (that's excluding the free ones) so that's about 100 games in digital format only. I literally cannot count the rest of my games[1].

Other than that, well, Jim did mention this in his last episode. But yes, there are a lot of shooters released, however are they too many? Too many compared to what? To my wants? Yes, I'd be happy if there were a couple shooters released per year with more strategy games or stealth games or RPGs. But I don't play too many shooters, and actually there is a fair amount of games out already, so whatever - I don't really care what is released.

Admittedly I don't own Xbox and I don't know the titles there, so I can't really say how the games there are

[1] To sound a bit less like bragging, my collection is not here with me. But let's say there are another 50-70 games some of which I own digital as well.

Are you legitimately asking if too many new games are shooters (not trolling) cause I can't think of any mainstream AAA game that isn't an uber realistic shooter. And people wonder why Nintendo is winning the console wars.

You've asked the question "are there too many shooters being released?" and, in my mind at least, the answer is obvious: developers and publishers wouldn't continue to churn out shooters if people weren't buying them.

People are buying them - lots of them. If you listen to the market, it's telling you very clearly that "no, there aren't too many shooters being released - in fact, we'd like some more now if that's OK with you"

hoboman29:
Are you legitimately asking if too many new games are shooters (not trolling) cause I can't think of any mainstream AAA game that isn't an uber realistic shooter. And people wonder why Nintendo is winning the console wars.

...Because it carries family friendly titles where Mom's don't have to worry about their children seeing too much violence?

Karutomaru:
There really aren't that many shooters out these days.

Your right, the market is over flooded with those half ass made whiny japanese games that have on disc DLC to fuck the customer over just off of pure greed.

OT:

*checks steam and GOG library*

out of roughly the 110 games that I have, I would say maybe 25-30 of them are shooters...

so no, definitely not too many shooters.

Shooters on consoles... *brushes imaginative dirt off PC master race shoulders*

There's tons of games that aren't shooters. From something over 100 games I have on Steam library, 10 % or maybe even less are shooters. Most of those with heavy RPG elements too. And I love shooters. It's just that there are a couple of excellent games in that genre, and the rest tend to be meh to alright. With that said, about 1700 hours of Counter-Strike: Source. Maybe 200h of BF3.

This generation has been goin on awhile... so I'll just showcase the newest ones I've played recently: Gravity Rush.

A little game called Journey:

Also, this generation, we have:
Dragon Age, Dragon's Dogma, Trials Evolution, Asura's Wrath, I am Alive, KoA Reckoning, The Dishwasher, Demon Souls, Zeno Clash, Super Meat Boy, Limbo, N+, Cathernine, Overlord, Majin, Enslaved, Viva Pinata, Nier, Lost Odyssey, Darksiders, Mirrors Edge, Infinite Undiscovery, Braid, Enchanted Arms, Little Big Planet, Mutant Blobs Attack, Escape Plan, Plants vs Zombies, Mod Nation Racing, Flower, 3D Dot Heroes, Heavy Rain, Flow, Minecraft, Terraria, Blocks that Matter, Katawa Shoujo, Dear Esther, Legends of Grimrock, Amnesia Dark Decent, Recettear, World of Goo, Gish, Lone Survivor. These are just games I have owned and enjoyed, I consider them successful, some are more critically successful than others, but what is the exact point we consider a game a success? I'm sure there's a thread about that somewhere...

I'd like you come up with a list of this generation shooters new IP's half this long.

OP, you just have a friend who really likes shooters.

EDIT: For the record, Alan Wake is a shooter, and Minecraft is a new IP.

Is there really TOO many Shooters being released, I mean there's:
Halo,CoD,MoH,Battlefield,Killzone,Resistance,ARMA,TF2,Ghost Recon and Dead Space.

Those are like the super-popular ones, there aren't too many, it's just that there's so many people playing them because it takes a lot less skill,practice,attention,effort,time and strategy to be good at a shooter, whilst games like Diablo, Dragon Age, League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth. All of those require a large amount of thought-processing. Shooters just engage the senses (and even then it's just sound and sight that are used in those)

Daftatt:

This guy?
I'm pretty sure he's shooting.

OT - Not really. There are as many as the market can support. If you look in the right places there are plenty of non shooter games.
There are probably more non shooters on PC due to the comparatively limited controls on consoles for things like RTS games.
Also, a lot of RPGs tend to be long running series because the world is what tends to draw the player in, rather than characters. Players always like to return to a setting they love.
Creating a new IP for RPGs is that bit harder I would imagine.

Sober Thal:
This generation has been goin on awhile... so I'll just mention the newest ones I've played recently: Gravity Rush.

Oh boy, this looks like a lot of fun. Too bad I don't own a Vita (yet).

TheKasp:

Sober Thal:
This generation has been goin on awhile... so I'll just mention the newest ones I've played recently: Gravity Rush.

Oh boy, this looks like a lot of fun. Too bad I don't own a Vita (yet).

It made the Vita worth it for me.... well, that and Disgaea 3 again...

Daftatt:
Snip

Not entirely sure on your meaning of the word shooter, I'm amusing you mean FPS games and not TPS (Third Person Shooter) games, because then technically in AC2 you get a gun, a hard to aim gun with low ammo capacity but still a gun.

Amusing you mean FPS's then I do think where staring to get maybe a few to many, especially considering that a lot of them are incredibly similar.
My numbers are obviously not going to be but I think it's like this,
FPS : 30%
Everything else : 70%
FPS's aren't in the majority but considering all other game types have to take up that 70% their share of the whole isn't going to be any where near as big as FPS's.

Karutomaru:
There really aren't that many shooters out these days. Not while Ubisoft shovels their half-assed minigame collections out. All the quality games are pretty varied, but there aren't much of them.

We get it you hate Ubisoft.Now please stop fucking bringing it up in threads that have nothing to do with Ubisoft

OT:No I think there are plenty of non-shooter games available.You just have to look for them

There aren't too many shooters. Developers realize that there is a demand for shooter games, and therefore supply shooter games. If RTS games were all of a sudden in very high demand like shooters are, you bet your ass there would be more RTS games.

There aren't too many shooters, there aren't enough other games :D

Rawne1980:

GoaThief:

You do realise there are a lot of us around here with well over a hundred games in our collections?

39 games is pretty low.

You do realise you attributed that quote to the wrong person?

Just glanced at raptr, I have 360 games listed and that's only my main Steam account and Xbox GT.

Blunderboy:

Daftatt:

This guy?
-picture sniped for length-
I'm pretty sure he's shooting.

OT - Not really. There are as many as the market can support. If you look in the right places there are plenty of non shooter games.
There are probably more non shooters on PC due to the comparatively limited controls on consoles for things like RTS games.
Also, a lot of RPGs tend to be long running series because the world is what tends to draw the player in, rather than characters. Players always like to return to a setting they love.
Creating a new IP for RPGs is that bit harder I would imagine.

There is a fundamental difference between a shooter and a game with shooting in it. Not defending Alan Wake, but preempting a misconception I have seen a lot in threads like this. Also, some RPGs draw in people for the world (Elder Scrolls Games, Fallout Games), and some for the characters and story (Dragon Age, Mass Effect).

TheCommanders:

There is a fundamental difference between a shooter and a game with shooting in it.

Ye pretty much this.

The last of us has guns in it. But from what I've seen calling it a shooter would be very disingenuous.

The fact there's a gun in the game doesn't turn it into a shooter. It's just a tool you're given to use as part of the game.

I'd call a game a shooter if shooting is like a good 60% of what you're supposed to be doing.

OT: 2 souls and the Last of us look great. Also, if Kara is actually going to become a game, not just a tech demo. That looks very good.

Sure, there's a lot of shooter atm and more variation would be nice. But I'd rather focus on the good things coming our way than the bad.

Metal Gear Solid 4, Skyrim, Pokemon, Prototype, infamous, mario..

i do think there are a bit too many Shooters coming from big publishers but the indie scene has tons more to offer. you'll just have to look away from the $60 games and check out some Xbox Live / Steam / PC indie games =P

also one thing i'd like to add, not only are there too many shooters but too many combat/murder games. I would put Skyrim, God of War, and Assassin's Creed in the same category, all you do is savagely kill all day. it's getting kinda gross especially with the increasing graphics. there's just too many of these bloody games in the main stream, which is why i don't buy many games on consoles like 360/ps3.

Really, lots.

Bayonetta
Bastion
Kingdom's of Amalur
Saint's Row
Mirror's Edge ( More of a Platformer)
Vanquish ( Third Person!)
Anarchy Reign
Catherine
Alan Wake
Super Meat Boy
Castle Crashers
Alice:Madness Returns
R.U.S.E
Amnesia
Braid
The Witcher Series
Cthulu Saves the World
Breath of Death 7
Cave Story
Brutal Legend
Kameo
Costume Quest
Stacking
Portal ( Its more of a Puzzle game)
Terraria
Darksiders

Plus, that doesn't include the loads of storied franchises that don't include FPS

SomeLameStuff:
Shogun 2

What? Total War has been around for AGES dude.

This isn't a real problem. No, really. Instead of what you asked us to do, name some FPS games that were introduced this generation and were successful. That's actually much harder to do.

I play Team Fortress 2. And that's the only FPS game I play. I've not been lacking in games to play for many years, and actually have accumulated a massive backlog that will probably take me the rest of the year to finish (if I don't buy any more games).

It really seems to me like most new FPS IPs struggle. There's a Borderlands and a Crysis, and then...?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked