Games you love, but probably didn't get enough sales/attention

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

SomeLameStuff:
Freespace 2. Too many people go "Whatnow?" when I mention Freespace 2. MUST CHANGE THAT! So we can band together and force a Freespace 3!

Me and my brother were just playing some co-op Lan freespace 2. Gotta love that game. I've been waiting for freespace 3 for a long time.

MYTH II need I say more! COME PLAY THE BEST GAME IN THE UNIVERSE ONLINE WITH US!

Alpha Protocol & Nier. Nier didn't really get hated, but it deserved more sales. It also sucks that Alpha Protocol

To me that would be Phantasy Star Zero for the DS. Sure it got an average/ above averave scores but it was a great online game to play!

Karutomaru:
Sales mean nothing! But Sengoku Basara hasn't gotten enough attention. Capcom forgot to advertise it.

Actually in business sales mean everything, and are often the difference between a great game getting a sequel or being scrapped forever. So yes, sales are important.

OT: Gitaroo Man, I think everyone who loved it knew it was far too Japanese to ever get mainstream Western attention, but it's still my favourite rhythm game of all time (and I bought and played Britney Spears' Dance Beat just to make sure) and a shitty PSP port hardly does it justice.

Also, I don't know how it was received at the time, but I've always loved Enix's Illusion of Gaia more than the Zelda games it copied; but I think it's largely been dismissed as a pretender to the throne.

Dead Space: Extraction for the Wii and Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean for the Gamecube. Kinda understandable that Baten Kaitos get's piss all attention (Its a JPRG on the Gamecube that had no advertisement what-so-ever), but it seems really strange to me how Extraction got minimal attention when compared to Dead Space 1. Probably because of the whole 'It's a rail-shooter on the Wii while the rest of the franchise is on other systems' but it could still have used a little more love.

Karutomaru:

DigitalAtlas:

But everyone hated it....

No I didn't! And the Metacritic score is 79!

Well, that explains everything...

Shanicus:
Dead Space: Extraction for the Wii and Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean for the Gamecube. Kinda understandable that Baten Kaitos get's piss all attention (Its a JPRG on the Gamecube that had no advertisement what-so-ever), but it seems really strange to me how Extraction got minimal attention when compared to Dead Space 1. Probably because of the whole 'It's a rail-shooter on the Wii while the rest of the franchise is on other systems' but it could still have used a little more love.

Not only is it a JRPG, but it uses a card battle system, the most loathed combat system in the West. Loved the whole aging system for the cards. And the actual combat was probably the best card battle system I've ever played. Amazing music, though the voice acting was...not good. Wasn't there a prequel made?

Phantom Crash, on the original Xbox. That was such an awesome game; great gameplay and an insane amount of customisation. Damn...now I want to play it again...

wintercoat:

Shanicus:

Not only is it a JRPG, but it uses a card battle system, the most loathed combat system in the West. Loved the whole aging system for the cards. And the actual combat was probably the best card battle system I've ever played. Amazing music, though the voice acting was...not good. Wasn't there a prequel made?

Yeah, and that got an english release too. However it was released at the end of the Gamecubes time where the Wii was getting all the attention, so it's even less known about than Lost Ocean. Hell, I didn't even know it existed until I looked up Baten Kaitos on T.V. Tropes. They both got positive reviews though, it's just they tended to have absolutely awful release times and poor distribution.

Shadow of Rome. Probably made to cash in on the Gladiator craze after the movie but the gameplay was great; over the top violence, big weapons and brilliant attacks - the Gladiator matches were some of the best fun I've had in a game.

Though the stealth missions were probably what killed it

Transformers: War for Cybertron, and the upcoming sequal, Fall of Cybertron. I'm affraid too many people have a bad taste in their mouth from Michael Bay (screw him). The first game was absolutely awesome. Way better than Gears of War or CoD (I've been bored with shotters for a while, but WoC brought me back). Some of the funnest multiplayer have had in a while.

DigitalAtlas:
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts N' Bolts. Original vehicular platformer, each mission a puzzle in true Banjo SPIRIT. Just because it wasn't a carbon copy of an out-dated genre, doesn't mean it needed to be so very hated

Collect-O-Thon Platformer Genre
Origin: Super Mario 64 (1996)

First-Person Shooter Genre
Origin: Wolfenstein 3D (1992)

Alright, so, some games that get a lot of hate for no good reason? I've thought about this...

Zapper: One Wicked Cricket
People say that this is a carbon-copy of Frogger, and, indeed, you hop around on grid-based maps in the same fashion, but, that's where the similarities end. Zapper can actually kill stuff and he has to solve various puzzles.

Shadow the Hedgehog
I don't like Next-Gen, Unleashed, Colors, Generations, and especially Black Knight. But, I just don't understand all the hate for Shadow. You can be evil? No one complained about that in Sonic Adventure 2 or any other titles that let you play as a villain. You can use guns? Guns have been in the series since the first game. Just being more accessible isn't a problem. It's dark? Once again, Sonic Adventure 2 was so much darker, and people say it's the greatest Sonic game of all time. The gameplay is all Adventureish, the engine is smooth, the locations are cool, and the game's just fun to play. Also, you actually play as Shadow, and not guide him through railroad tracks, moving left and right, occasionally jumping, like the Sonic games of more recent years.

Gex series
People say that Conker using cultural references was a good thing. But, when Gex does it, they say that making cultural references is stupid. Then, they see Conker and Duke Nukem again and completely forgot they even said that. The gameplay's nice, too, and the whole "Media Dimension" thing was an interesting idea, as well.

Below is a franchise that isn't hated, but is just obscure.

Army Men
Before 2K games bought it, 3DO made this amazing series that kept innovating so much, the games kept coming in a flurry of different genres, such as RTS, third-person shooter, and vehicle combat. It was created under the idea to have those plastic army soldiers actually be alive and from another universe waging war, occasionally slipping into our own. If they stayed too long, they got plasticized, as in, hardened up, with a base formed under their feet.

Darksiders didn't get enough exposure and also Alan Wake. Seriously that game was fucking AWESOME

Okami was a majorly overlooked gem, I cant believe it never took off. Also, Eccho night 1 & 2 were pretty cool too.

Im especially bummed that Chrono-cross & parasite eve 2 weren't successful enough (sales wise) to continue with extra sequels. Well theres 3rd birthday but it deviates from the main story & exclusive only to the PSP, a hand console of all things.

I would say Harvest Moon, but it has a saturation point almost as good as Castlevania.

Valkyrie Profile is one of the best JRPGs on the PS one. It did not have a lot of initial sales, but got a better received sequel on PS2 and DS. Also got a PSP reissue.

Alan Wake. the story is awesome, but the game play, i must admit, lacks that something, that would make me play it through a second time...

besides which, Alan Wake was written by Max Payne's face model Sam Lake

Tenchu has always been one of my favourates. I really hope It gets more attention when they decide to make a sequel to it.

MOTHER 3 and EARTHBOUND

I can never say that enough. I'll also go with Darksiders, and 3D Dot Game Heroes, which was a fun little experiment.

I thought Mount and Blade was amazing.

I have said it before, and I will say it again: Metals Arms: Glitch in the System.

It was released on the PS2, Xbox 1, and Gamecube. You played as a little robot named Glitch, and you blew the shit out of other robots with all kinds of crazy weapons. It had funny characters, a great campaign mode, and split-screen multiplayer.

The freaking trailer of the game made fun of Halo for crying out loud!

I adore this game to death. I curse the day Blizzard got their grubby hands on Swingin' Ape Studios, because now we will never see a sequel.

We live in a cruel world.

TaintedSaint:
Beyond good and evil nuff said. one of the best reviewed games the year it came out and no one bought it.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
Beyond Good and Evil, the sales weren't there for the game.

And it's on sale right now and for the rest of the weekend on GOG. OP should get it while he can.

Well, the Legacy of Kain series isn't really a sleeper hit but definitely didn't get enough attention. Not enough to let Eidos continue it. Last game came out almost nine years ago (will be in November) and there was a sequel that got scrapped. That's the last we heard from it. With the occasional rumour it will come out, but fans have grown desensitised to those. It's worse than HL(ep)3, I tell you.

Other than that, there is Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines, which has mostly small but devote following, no thanks to Activision, though.

And there is Second Sight. It is vastly underplayed. It is a pretty good game but it's so rare to find people talking about it. Hell, I even forget to mention it lots of times just because nobody else does it.

SPLATTERHOUSE!!!! a shame really, a sequel would have been appreciated, but that aint ever going to happen now.

Dark sector, decent game, a few problems and suffered from a few story oversights but a damn good game and deserved more love.

Singularity a really good FPS, fun mechanics and an interesting story and fun weapons, but didn't sell terribly well and a lot of staff from raven were layed off a little while ago

VTM:B great RPG, admittedly riddled with bugs but deserved way more sales then it got

Void, a bloody weird game, hard as nails but beautiful, original and intriguing, sold okay in Germany, not so well everywhere else.

that is all I can think off the top of my head.

In my opinion even though it got some coverage, devil may cry 4 was a largely bypassed title. It has one of the smoothest combat systems i have ever encountered with a gamepad.

Fuel I thought had a lot of ambition, but I won't say I couldn't let go of it.

MotorStorm Apocalypse flopped pretty badly because of the Japanese Earthquake which occured the same week as the game was meant to come out, which was obviously mostly unfortunate for Japan, but also a little bit for MotorStorm.

Vanquish, Red Faction Guerrilla, HAWX 1 & 2 and Bionic Commando are all games that I really enjoyed that I don't think got as much attention as they should have done.

Hazy992:

s69-5:

Hazy992:
Well it's true. Like I said Metacritic doesn't mean much.

Did you notice the user score was 8.0 based on about 1500 votes... I don't think as many people hated it as you think. Of course the vocal internet haters may make it seem that way...

This happens a lot though doesn't it? You get a game that people seem to like at the time but then a few months down the line everyone says it sucks. Whenever I hear people talk about this game it's criticism.

Well every game receives criticism but if you mean everyone talks about it in a bad light ill just say its a slow burner, starts off terribly and eventually becomes pretty damn good its just a shame the best bits are the post game battles, which incidentally are the second best in the entire series after X.

Cheery Lunatic:
I have to disagree with Okami. Honestly even Psychonauts is more of a sleeper hit than Okami and that's the definition of a cult classic (hell it's too popular for that classification too).

Okami and Psychonauts did get attention but they most certainly did not get many sales.

rob_simple:

OT: Gitaroo Man, I think everyone who loved it knew it was far too Japanese to ever get mainstream Western attention, but it's still my favourite rhythm game of all time (and I bought and played Britney Spears' Dance Beat just to make sure) and a shitty PSP port hardly does it justice.

Im glad someone else appreciates that game its no longer my favourite rhythm action game as its been surpassed in my mind by K-on! Houkago live but Gitaroo Man is just a brilliant game and definitely did not get enough attention probably through lack of coverage I had no idea what it was when I bought it (for cheap)

Ok thats enough of quoting others the one title which I would say never got enough sales or attention despite its brilliance is Valkyria Chronicles .One of my favourite games ever made what few sales it had were mainly down to word of mouth and the short demo on PSN, its a cult classic ofc but it deserved to be a huge hit.

Others would be:-

Little Kings Story
Strangers Wrath
Deadly Premonition

And of course polly pocket splash island for the GBA which was cruelly overlooked by almost everyone including metacritic by the looks of it.

note: may not be serious on the last one although it could be great I unfortunately havent had the time, money or inclination to buy it and test it yet.

Vampire the masquerade, for the 3rd time. Sure it's more widely known now but if it had been recognised at release or, even better given enough time to be finished properly, we might still have Troika.

Besides, of course, one of the big champions of this category; Beyond Good and Evil,

we also have Metal Arms; Glitch in the system, a third person shooter who's quality and humor is up there on par with giants like ratchet and clank! And yet, it wallows in obscurity. Such a pity.

Z of the Na'vi:

*snip*

baaaah! ninja'd

Super Monday Night Combat. Due to issues with Steam and Beta invites, the girl was thrown out on stage almost two whole months too early. The community slowly dwindles every week, and the disaster that was its TF2 promo did nothing but cause a week of grief and drive 3500 of the game's players away in a month.

Well there's games like Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, Valkyria Chronicles and Psychonauts.

Those three games are awesome.

Rayman Origins. Thank God Ubisoft decided on a sequal despite its low sales. Game is brilliant i tell you, brilliant.

Thinking about it, Payday: The Heist was an excellent game in my opinion, and that first heist is just so great.

gmaverick019:

Hazy992:

gmaverick019:
snip

I've never actually played it truth be told as I'm not really a JRPG fan, but I rarely hear anything positive about it. One of the things I hear is what you said; that it's too linear and if I was a fan of the series it sounds like I'd be disappointed.

I can deal with linearity, heck I would say on a scale I would prefer linearity to open world, but dear lord, the pacing vs what they let on for the story + what you did in between each cut scene chunk...

just..the worst combinations. Most linear games have you enthralled in the story or thinking "damn, i really wanna go kick that guys ass! gotta destroy his baddies to prove how big of a piece of shit he is! fuck you for killing my party member!" but the motivation is definitely nowhere to be seen, as most cutscenes do next to nothing for plot reveals or pacing of story elements (kinda just reiterated what I said, but really, it's that bad...to me at least.)

Well it seems you got a totally different experience to me. I was enthralled by the story. I've never played a game before were the main characters are forced to play for the bad guys side, and in a way that makes everyone they used to live with fear and hate them on sight, and from the start I was very interested in what the characters would do and how they would grow as their story progressed. This, along with the awesome graphics, amazing enviroments and a combat system I though was innovative as it brought pace to the battle system as well as actually fun to use meant I didn't mind running through the linear corridors. I didn't care since I wanted to find out what happened at the end of them. But it seems I and only I felt this way about FFXIII (which is sort of depressing).

OT: I agree with Rayman Origins. Brilliant game, definately deserved more attention.

Magicite Spring:

gmaverick019:

Hazy992:
I've never actually played it truth be told as I'm not really a JRPG fan, but I rarely hear anything positive about it. One of the things I hear is what you said; that it's too linear and if I was a fan of the series it sounds like I'd be disappointed.

I can deal with linearity, heck I would say on a scale I would prefer linearity to open world, but dear lord, the pacing vs what they let on for the story + what you did in between each cut scene chunk...

just..the worst combinations. Most linear games have you enthralled in the story or thinking "damn, i really wanna go kick that guys ass! gotta destroy his baddies to prove how big of a piece of shit he is! fuck you for killing my party member!" but the motivation is definitely nowhere to be seen, as most cutscenes do next to nothing for plot reveals or pacing of story elements (kinda just reiterated what I said, but really, it's that bad...to me at least.)

Well it seems you got a totally different experience to me. I was enthralled by the story. I've never played a game before were the main characters are forced to play for the bad guys side, and in a way that makes everyone they used to live with fear and hate them on sight, and from the start I was very interested in what the characters would do and how they would grow as their story progressed. This, along with the awesome graphics, amazing enviroments and a combat system I though was innovative as it brought pace to the battle system as well as actually fun to use meant I didn't mind running through the linear corridors. I didn't care since I wanted to find out what happened at the end of them. But it seems I and only I felt this way about FFXIII (which is sort of depressing).

OT: I agree with Rayman Origins. Brilliant game, definately deserved more attention.

well i am glad you did enjoy it, and for anyone who does enjoy it, however that is what i meant about the "worst combinations" part of my post, the overall pacing and how they revealed and what they revealed just made it the most sludgiest game i have ever tried to get through, hell I didn't have to put in as much effort into half life to figure out how bored I was.

edit (stupid thing posted before i was done)

It had some great stuff going for it, but it just didn't flow well at all when put together, for me at least.

I've heard from a lot of other people that Okami's good too. I'll have to give it a play sometime.

But my vote goes for Lost Odyssey. It may ring a bell to a lot of people, but hardly anyone seems to have played it. Seriously, I can't express how much I love that game. If you like JRPGs and don't mind a game not being that good until a little while in (the first one or two hours are hard as hell and not very interesting, but it picks up massively after that), you have to play that game.
It's sad. They were considering making more, it could've been Final Fantasy's successor, but because hardly anyone bought the game they didn't think there would be any point. Mistwalker is pretty much Squaresoft 2.0, two of the three main people of the company are Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu. Hironobu was the director of every Final Fantasy up to 10, and Nobuo made the soundtracks for each of them.

In short, if you like JRPGs and turn-based battle systems buy it right friggin' now, and ignore the mediocrity of the first hour or two. And that Kaim is a bit of a dick during that time for some reason. It gets so good I can't even explain it. It's my favourite game of this generation by far.

Edit: There's not much replay value though. It is mainly story-based. And the start of the game is so damn hard. In a bad, frustrating way.

Psychonauts and Okami, for obvious answers.

Other than them, Vanquish...good God Vanquish. It was made of such concentrated awesome that nobody could have possibly disliked it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked