Things that you liked about the ME3 ending

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

There is very little Discussion to be had about those endings. Pretty much everything has been said.

However, here's a nice exercise for the Brain: Try to think of something that you liked. Or something that you could respect.

I liked the Music and the overall Atmosphere. The View through the Forcefield or whatever that was was nice.
I liked that there was no end-boss. How Cheesy would that have been? Fight against the Illusive man possessed by Harbinger. Meh.

Andersons death scene was nice. The overall tone of the Game was very grim, with the millions of People dying. Anderson believed that Shepard now had to push a red button and then it would be over. He died believing everything would be ok.

I would have respected Shepards death. They had this Superweapon basically turn him into dust, or at least all the cybernetic Parts in him. Would have been nice to see a definitive end to shepards story, with no way to bring him back.
But they had to fuck that up as well with having shepard possibly survive the destroy ending if there where enough war assets. Hmpf.

Oh well, there where at least some things i liked in there. Not enough to distract from the broken Story or the Questions thrown at us at the last minute but there are things in this jumbled mess that i liked.

I thought the ending was overall good. I would just like to it to be extended like they are doing but not changed. I feel the ending covered some good sci-fi and ethical questions:

- Do you take control of the reapers and then play God pretty much?

- Do you kill the reapers and geth (plus all other synthetic life) in hope that organic life doesn't create AI and synthetic life and another war ensues? (it has happened before, it will happen again)

- Do you meld all life into a single type (synthesis) so there really can't be an organic vs synthetic war?

People complain that the cut-scenes are similar but the endings are indeed very different.

That moment where Anderson and Shepard are talking, then Anderson dies and Shepard starts to fade while looking out at the fight. If they had ended it there, it would have been a good note to end on.

I actually liked how it went down at the end. I never expected for Shepard to defeat the Reapers in a traditional fight and it would have been silly for them to shoehorn that in. It was ended with a decision on how to end it which I actually enjoyed. What disappointing me was that it was not elaborated on. I like how they are simply giving an epilogue so I know how what I did effected the Galaxy, changing the ending wouldn't be very good for the game.

The music was awesome. Still brings a tear to my eye despite the overall feeling of confusion I was feeling when I first played it.

SACASM MODE ACTIVATED

By far the the most beautiful element of the ending was after the credits were finsished and that awe-inspiring, mind-blowing, superbly designed text box appears and informs you like the heavenly letters of godly muses that the game is over and to buy DLC. Surely this design element was the work of artistic gods that make the mere creative musings of us mortals looks like toddlers clutching crayons in our fists and coloring outside the lines.

Lupus80:
The music was awesome. Still brings a tear to my eye despite the overall feeling of confusion I was feeling when I first played it.

SACASM MODE ACTIVATED

By far the the most beautiful element of the ending was after the credits were finsished and that awe-inspiring, mind-blowing, superbly designed text box appears and informs you like the heavenly letters of godly muses that the game is over and to buy DLC. Surely this design element was the work of artistic gods that make the mere creative musings of us mortals looks like toddlers clutching crayons in our fists and coloring outside the lines.

Yeah, the "you can buy DLC now" Message Box was something different...
personally, i disliked the Choices because they where very poorly executed. I think they tried for the philosophical route and give you something to think about. Sadly, they failed astoundingly. With destroy, i can live. Created always rebel against the created, well, i just brought such a conflict to an end in which the created didn't rebel by the way, they merely defended themselves. Except for those influenced by the Reapers, ironically.

But ok, let's say the starchild is right. We build robots, Robots rise up and kill us all. And then the Robots spread out over every planet and no organic life will ever develop to achieve sentience. So the Reapers come in and kill the higher Cultures so that quite a lot of lifeforms can develop and have a chance to "life. I can get behind that. Ethically questionable, for who are they to place any life over another, even it it is artificial.

"Synthesis" i don't get. I may like the Idea, if i ever get it. What does this mean? Everything is cybernetic now? And what would prevent those creatures from building a robot race to do work for them? Maybe i can just interface with every artificial life that i create and immediately see their Point and in doing so, prevent a War somehow. Many fights begin with misunderstandings, but not on a global level.
Oh well, the Idea could have been good, if explained properly.

Control i don't get. What would one do with it? Fly all the Reapers into a Sun? That'd be easy, the starchild could do that, no need to interface directly.

But i do like the irony in it. We've been dealing with indoctrination by the Reapers throughout three games. And now you can control them.
That would be so delightfully ironic if shepard would be alive to actually see that. Or maybe he is, somehow...

The conversation between Captain and Commander. And the location of the final choice is pretty grand.

While during the months since I have come to understand the ire that people have towards the ending (which I didn't feel upon first completing the game), what I really liked was the moral dilemma I faced using the choice-o-matic. It took me damn near ten minutes to make that final choice.

Spoilers, Obviously.

I can give Bioware credit where its due, because it got me engaged with the story and more importantly the characters (though I'll admit my willingness to let myself sink into this world was a big factor), which is what made this final choice so difficult. I'd romanced Liara through the series, and after all those talks with her about what we'd do after the war was over, deciding to sacrifice myself to save the galaxy felt like a betrayal. I didn't want to leave liara devastated.

On the other hand, I also didn't really want to destroy synthetics, because I'd just made a hell of a lot of effort to broker peace between the Quarian and the Geth (and was crushed at Legions sacrifice). Since the Geth were going to help rebuild the homeworld, if I destroywed them, that'd mean Tali wouldn't get to live happily, without the need for a suit. And then there was EDI to consider...

Yes, in hindsight, the ending is full of plot holes and flawed logic, but during my playthrough, I was impressed by the moral conflict it created for me.

I liked when it ended, so I didn't have to watch it anymore. That was nice.

The music for me was superbly done. It really captured the do or die mentality, and the this is it moment that we'd been waiting for since ME1.

wintercoat:
That moment where Anderson and Shepard are talking, then Anderson dies and Shepard starts to fade while looking out at the fight. If they had ended it there, it would have been a good note to end on.

the only part of the ending cinematic I enjoyed.

From here though I would have had shep looking out to the fight on earth, then cut scenes showing your various war assets in action, with ultimately only your EMS and the other major decisions made throughout the trilogy mattering on which "good" or "bad" ending you'd receive. Simple.

the only thing?

by that point I was soo...into it that I was shaking...and that was onyl right up to when Shepard chose destruction

I liked Marauder Shields....so...there's that.

wintercoat:

mabye..but I would at least have liked to have KNOWN...you know I think simply not knowing is the worst part

Well, I liked that it attempted to be something different. I mean, it was an ending that didn't make sense in the grand scheme that was ME's general "ideas", but it was different. I just wish people understood how "it reminded me of an old scifi" isn't necessarily a good defense of the ending. Mainly because ME isn't just an "old scifi". It's a space opera. You need to end it like one, which the endings did not...

It gave me something to hate. And being a spite filled misanthrope I always appreciate that.

Everything until the point when Shepard meets the starthild is great. After you get to that little shit, it all falls apart. But I guess the music is still nice.

The main thing I liked was the over the top rage it generated. I'm not going into an argument over on disk-dlc, false advertising, modern consumer ethics, "Biowarez ruinedz mi lyf lolozzlol", blah. But it was quite fun to sit on the sidelines and the show.

Also, hearing that lovely piano piece again was great and the ensuing Indoctrination Theory discussions have been fun.

Vault101:
the only thing?

by that point I was soo...into it that I was shaking...and that was onyl right up to when Shepard chose destruction

The only thing?

Absolutely. Your ending should have only been determined by the summation of your choices throughout ME1, 2, 3 (choices including the number and type of war assets you obtained, along with major event choices in ME1 and 2 - e.g. saving/destroying collector base), and not by some freakin acid trip god child telling you to pick an ending.

I had no issue with it up until the god child turned up. Confronting TiM, Anderson's death, all good (infuriatingly slow movement aside) and pretty emotional.

After that the only redeeming feature was the music, which was fantastic.

Well... It depends on what you consider the "ending" to be. When I talk about how mind-bogglingly awful it is, I'm usually referring to the magic light lift onwards, after Anderson's death. I cannot for the life of me think of a single good thing about what happened beyond that point. I guess... the music didn't get worse? The graphics didn't suddenly turn PS1 era? There was no surprise twist where Shephard was the Reapers?

If you're referring to rest of the mission before that, I'd say it was all passable if not exactly "good". I really liked that you could take down The Illusive Man with a dialogue tree rather than some stupid boss fight, and the part where you're sitting with Anderson worked pretty well.

There were also some intense moments leading up to the charge on the beacon. Holding off the Reaper forces by those missiles while an actual Reaper is sauntering towards you was pretty cool, and was one of the only moments in the game where the enemies actually seemed threatening and dangerous in the gameplay rather than just in the cut-scenes and lore.

The lead up - pretty much from the cutscene of the fleet arriving (oh my god, I nearly wet myself at that... epic) to the time where you activate to console was incredible. The setting, the sheer feeling of desperation - yet the knowledge that you have assembled the largest fleet the galaxy has ever seen, united warring people across the galaxy so everyone can stand up, shoulder to shoulder with one voice and say a collective "no more" to the reapers.

The music, the cutscenes, the suspense, the desperation, the hope, it was mindblowingly awesome. To come so far before being hit by harbinger's blast was a proper kick the puppy moment - yet still you stand, you take everything the reapers can give and you still fight.

It was beautiful, it was an example of a game ending perfectly.

Such a shame the star child was written in, because until then, it was the ending I had always wanted.

Anderson and killing the Illusive man, after that it was rubbish.

The scene with Anderson and TIM, and the run to the beam, if that counts.
captcha: "question everything" Captcha supports The Indoctrination Theory! Yes, this part of my post is completely on topic and necessary!

I think it's a clever sequence, it's just not an appropriate place to end the game. I did very much like the conversation between Shep and Anderson as they looked out over Earth, even if it was in his head.

Same as most people, Anderson, and getting TiM to kill himself. Everything after that kinda really sucked.
I'm still really surprised how much people are going on about this though. I mean, seriously guys.

Phoenixmgs:
I thought the ending was overall good. I would just like to it to be extended like they are doing but not changed. I feel the ending covered some good sci-fi and ethical questions:

- Do you take control of the reapers and then play God pretty much?

- Do you kill the reapers and geth (plus all other synthetic life) in hope that organic life doesn't create AI and synthetic life and another war ensues? (it has happened before, it will happen again)

- Do you meld all life into a single type (synthesis) so there really can't be an organic vs synthetic war?

People complain that the cut-scenes are similar but the endings are indeed very different.

I agree.

If they have to change anything it might as well be the cutscenes but not the stories behind the cutscenes.

The primary problem seems to be that people are opposed to the notion of an open ending (like the ending of the movie Contact). They don't want implications or room for debate. They seem to want a "explicit" ending where everything is not only stated but shown (no room for imagination or continuation).

it gave us great parodies

TopazFusion:

Madman123456:
there was no end-boss.

Actually there was, kinda . . .

For me, it would be the final exchange between Anderson and Shepard. Very emotional. It just felt right.

I will kid you not, this was the hardest part in the game for me. I literally had to stop playing, go turn on my computer and google how to beat the ending. I don't think I died the entire game on the normal setting, then easily I died at least 10 times trying to kill marauder. I tried to the craziest stuff to get around him, I tried running away, I tried hiding, but then I was like oh... headshot... alright.

Edit: To make this more OT, I like the atmosphere. The whole injured adrenaline fueled struggle to make it to the end was thematically cool.

What I liked about the ME3 ending was the final conversation with Garrus, if you were romancing him (shut up he's awesome). I found it to be very touching, and it really, really felt as if they truly loved one another (which is good, since in ME2 the romance felt more like "lol let's bone" than an actual romance...).

Seriously, that one thing made up for any dissappointment in the game. I almost cried, it was such an emotionally moving conversation. And that doesn't happen to me a lot.

The music was amazing, apart from that sadly it was all tears and disappointment.

The endings (well, ending) were pretty at least. Kind of shame they spent so much money making such a bad ending look good, though. It's like sprinkling bits of gold over a turd.

Also the whole Shepard/Anderson exchange was pretty cool. It's like after that they fired the current writer and replaced him with a five year old kid.

I liked the final bit, it signalled that the terrible thing was over.

kman123:
I liked Marauder Shields....so...there's that.

Adam Jensen:
Everything until the point when Shepard meets the starthild is great. After you get to that little shit, it all falls apart. But I guess the music is still nice.

yeah this.

most of it wasn't too bad, but that just...

i seriously didn't realize it was possible to retroactively destroy plots and make even more plotholes from the previous games.

well done.

back on topic though, the music was really nice, and the shepard/anderson last talk was good too.

Some of the final conversations with the companions are really great, and a lot of the tone and atmosphere was really well done.

...that's about all I can think of, unfortunately.

The special effects were good.............

None of it really the last 10 minutes were the worst of my gaming career. The most distressing thing was that it rendered the whole ROLE PLAYING and almost the Game part pointless. Because all your decisions amount to nothing it makes the whole thing utterly pointless.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked