How I would create a game to troll 90% of FPS players

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I play some FPS games myself occasionally, but I have something of a hate on for the way the FPS genre has gone today.

#1. No iron sights. They take a fair bit of fun out of the game, in my view. I always did prefer hip fire. Scopes are an exception, of course.
#2. No auto-aim. It encourages laziness and makes it easy for people to get in annoying successive shots through their stupid iron sights.
#3. No automatic assault rifles. They remove a great deal of strategy from the game, because they are the jack of all kills and can hit anything on most maps. I think it would be better to have only submachine guns and light machine guns. Assault rifles should be semi-auto only. That way, it's more of a shooting game, you have to think about your shots.
#4. More than 2 "primary" weapons slots. This allows for versatility in combat.
#5. No killstreaks or perks.
#6. As many obscure, antique, or imaginary weapons as possible. No AK-47s or M4s, even semi auto versions. The same goes for Desert Eagles. Or perhaps they could be harshly nerfed so that anyone who uses them is in for an unpleasant surprise.
#7. No knife button, it's a secondary weapon which you have to select first. There is a wide selection of melee weapons.
#8. No quickscoping.
#9. Camping is a legitimate strategy.
#10. No auto-regenerating health. Just medkits.

And I'm not talking about TF2. It isn't class based, it doesn't have comicbook graphics, and the maps are larger. The weapons would be altogether different.

Wow, I must be incredibly bitter.

Interesting idea, but just what would you be accomplishing?

I like it for the most part, especially with the automatic rifles. Don't get me wrong I love guns with a lot of bullets per minute, but when compared to melee range shotguns, no damage smgs, high recoil lmgs, and single shot snipers, they outclass EVERYTHING in just about every field. So many games make anything but an assault rifle a terrible option.

Iron sights though....I like them. Its a preference thing, I don't care if the game has them or not, but good iron sights are amazing. If the iron sight is beneficial to the shooting of the gun like in Red Orchestra 2, hip firing doesn't even compare. It all depends on the speed of the game though, but in a more realistic setting I think slower paced combat works better with iron sights.

But all in all you aren't accomplishing anything. Personal preference in games doesn't make the gameplay, art direction, or virtual world you've created any good, and to me you really need to differentiate yourself in the shooter genre. I don't think the shooter mechanics are necessarily bad nowadays, its just the games ideas themselves are lazy. Your average dudebro fps loving devs aren't the most imaginative. Can I play something other than an american soldier in another country in present day? Can I play a shooter where I'm an alien? Or a robot?

#1 #2 #5 #7 and #8 describe Counter-Strike.. so maybe you could just make a mod for that game.

Also the game is still widely popular so some people would probably enjoy a different take on that kind of shooter.

Make a game where there is an achievement for never getting shot once, you can never get shot in the entire game and in the final cutscene you get shot and it counts...perfect!

If you really wanted to troll FPS players you should make a game where the "Fire" button is randomly mapped to a random button be it mouse click or keyboard. Then have this happen individually with each person and the button is remapped every time they die/get a kill. :D

Numbers 1,2,3,5,6,7,8 describe Halo.

Well ok, Halo does have an assault rifle, but it sucks ass and doesn't hold a candle to the burst/semi auto weapons. And yeah, sure, Halo does have a 1 button melee, but the melee isn't an instant kill unless using a melee weapon so it counts.

All those numbers save 3 describe UT, and even then it's only one gun and it's a damn minigun, so it's pretty fun, but still not game breaking.

Just play some UT2004, and your life will be happy.

Make it so you can't invert the Y-axis. That would make my head explode. And my hands.

No mouse look and shoots on "ctrl"

I would love to see one those new gamers who was no idea what Doom is trying to play a game like this...

Just make one that has no multiplayer and you'll succeed quite handily.

Chemical Alia:
Make it so you can't invert the Y-axis. That would make my head explode. And my hands.

Wait, you use that? I've never had to use that for a FPS. Ever.

If you`re a console player i suggest you try Duke Nukem Forevers mp. First time i played it felt alot like Quake3.

Screw that. Have a flashy, cinematic war intro that looks like the funnest war game yet, then they get a message that says something like "Ha! Sucker" and then it cuts to this game http://www.molleindustria.org/everydaythesamedream/everydaythesamedream.html . They'll hate you for life. I guarantee it.

Surely the best way to troll FPS players would be to make COD: Concientious Objector edition?

So, you would create TF2?

No seriously, every single one of your points is a part of TF2. Every single one, right down to the obscure and imaginary weapons.

If I didn't know better i'd say you just took a list of things you like in TF2 and wrote them down as things all shooters should do...

Not that that's a bad thing, but I don't think it would troll 90% of fps players, as I hear TF2 is pretty popular with the kids these days and what-not.

TizzytheTormentor:
Make a game where there is an achievement for never getting shot once, you can never get shot in the entire game and in the final cutscene you get shot and it counts...perfect!

Son of a bitch, this guy just won the thread.

OP: FPS guys generally tend to love machismo military things, so if you ever do create an entire game, make one level where they have to cross dress. That will throw them for one hell of a loop, especially considering half the comments on XBox Live.
Otherwise, what you've just described is rather tame, and a fair competetive game.

MammothBlade:
I play some FPS games myself occasionally, but I have something of a hate on for the way the FPS genre has gone today.

#2. No auto-aim. It encourages laziness and makes it easy for people to get in annoying successive shots through their stupid iron sights.

Wow, I must be incredibly bitter.

So wait you "play" FPS games on a console then?

Clearly you haven't experienced a proper FPS experience then where skill matters.

Just go play Tribes: Ascend or Quake Online and report back here on whether all your wants were met.

sethisjimmy:

No seriously, every single one of your points is a part of TF2. Every single one, right down to the obscure and imaginary weapons.

If I didn't know better i'd say you just took a list of things you like in TF2 and wrote them down as things all shooters should do...

Not that that's a bad thing, but I don't think it would troll 90% of fps players, as I hear TF2 is pretty popular with the kids these days and what-not.

This.I guess OP didn't knew about it but he is better off modding TF2

But he is a console player i suppose?

You just described TF2

I've never played a game with iron-sights, autoaim, killstreaks/perks, "knife button"s, or quickscoping. Though I kind of want to try a game with iron sights sometime, just since it looks interesting. Most shooters I play are from Valve, or are older games, so that's probably why I haven't played with any of those features you mentioned. Newest shooter I've played was Half-Life 2: Episode 2, from 2007.

Sounds and aweful lot like counter strik.

Dirty Hipsters:

Well ok, Halo does have an assault rifle, but it sucks ass and doesn't hold a candle to the burst/semi auto weapons. And yeah, sure, Halo does have a 1 button melee, but the melee isn't an instant kill unless using a melee weapon so it counts.

Melee is an instant kill if you come from behind. Which, because of how big all the maps are and the non existence of a 'front line' where most of the fighting takes place, means it is quite easy to sneak up on someone if you don't fire at them (so you don't appear on radar).

And there's the ever wonderful 1-2 of shotgun blast then melee, which is generally instant kill. Since the melee hit can be used during the shotgun cooldown, it's effectively an instant kill, as it happens so quickly most players can't respond to it in time.

sethisjimmy:

And I was just about to say this. It's a shame that I can't find a server where everyone seems to have a brain since it went F2P.

One thing I should've realised earlier but didn't until getting Resistance: Burning Skies the other day, is that they're all so SLOW. I mean, seriously, what happened to Quake 3 ultra fast, ultra frantic gameplay?

So you'd make an FPS from 10 years ago? How exactly would that "Troll" FPS players?

You understand that "Slightly annoy a small portion of people" isn't trolling, right?

Make Half-Life 3. With a nice trailer and all.
Only, when you boot it up it's just an infinite replay of Gabe doing a trollface.

I'm fairly sure the TF2/CS/Halo community make up more than 10% of FPS players.

Terramax:
One thing I should've realised earlier but didn't until getting Resistance: Burning Skies the other day, is that they're all so SLOW. I mean, seriously, what happened to Quake 3 ultra fast, ultra frantic gameplay?

Its in Tribes: Ascend

Evil the White:

Dirty Hipsters:

Melee is an instant kill if you come from behind. Which, because of how big all the maps are and the non existence of a 'front line' where most of the fighting takes place, means it is quite easy to sneak up on someone if you don't fire at them (so you don't appear on radar).

You haven't played much Halo have you? Shooting your gun doesn't make you appear on radar, MOVING does. How often are you going to be able to crouch-walk up to someone who is constantly running at a full gait? Not very.

Melee kills from behind are a one hit kill because they person would have died either way unless they pulled a miracle out of their ass.

make the fire button on the left trigger or right mouse button

About the auto aim, on console we have to have a small amount of aim assist, its way too hard to use an analog without auto aim. To prove my point try to teamkill in Reach or Halo 3, super hard.

That sounds like an amazingly awesome game! I wonder if someone will make this g-

Oh, hang on....

Yeah, you do sound bitter. But play TF2, Halo, and Counter-Strike.

Ix Rebound:
make the fire button on the left trigger or right mouse button

Oh god that would drive me crazy... I'm so OCD about my key assignments that I spazzed out when I mixed up the slots for shovels and axes in minecraft...

Hmm? What? I'm too busy with fishing (hitting people with my fish) in TF2.

But yeah, you basically described TF2 and from this I can assume you play FPS on consoles. Try playing on the PC.

you just described tf2, UT and Q3.
well UT and Q3 have fully automatic weapons but those either suck or are miniguns.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked