Scariest Game Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I don't know if anyone reading this has ever seen my comments in the past where I mentioned that video games (or movies, or books, etc.) can't scare me. Not that I'm some tough guy or I think it's cool to be different, I've just never been able to be scared in a game. From Silent Hill to Amnesia, I've always just been immune to horror. Maybe my brain is just broken. But then I found this game... I'm not even joking when I say I almost had a heart attack while playing. Never before in my life have I been this scared.

It's a free game in alpha called SCP: Special Containment Procedures. I don't even know where to start describing this thing. It's a combination of scary and just plain fucking creepy. Basically... you're in a facility and some very bad things have broken containment. You can't fight back, only run. You can manually control your blinking and doing so will save your life--if you can remember to do it while having a heart attack; the first, er, thing you come into contact with can only move when you blink in game. When it does move, it moves super, super fast. When looking at it, it stands perfectly still. The levels are randomly generated, so you never experience the same thing twice.

http://scpcb.wordpress.com/

It's free. Go download it. Turn all the lights off. Put headphones on. Shit your pants. I don't own it or know the person who does. Sorry if this sounds like an ad. I just felt the need to share. I'm nice like that ;D

This is a short let's play I saw that lead me to the fucking delightful thing.

I tried to play it but it gives me a memory related error. It sucks since it looks scary as hell and I love horror games.

Nouw:
I tried to play it but it gives me a memory related error. It sucks since it looks scary as hell and I love horror games.

Hm. That's odd. I had a little look around for ya and it turns out there's a few possible fixes:

1. run as admin

2. make sure your gcard driver is up to date (this one normally fixes this sort of error)

3. download and play a previous version from here: http://poeregalis.com

4. run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

5. restarting your computer can work, apparently

Hmm I'll try updating my driver. Will try again once it's finished installing.

I first found about SCP on on this forum, and despite browsing the website listings of numerous SCPs, fascinated beyond belief (I love supernatural shit like this) I just.......am scared of the video O_o I get scared easily sometimes. I'll force myself to watch it, but I'm not sure if I can play it yet.

Don Savik:
I first found about SCP on on this forum, and despite browsing the website listings of numerous SCPs, fascinated beyond belief (I love supernatural shit like this) I just.......am scared of the video O_o I get scared easily sometimes. I'll force myself to watch it, but I'm not sure if I can play it yet.

It is so scary that it's fun! It's like being tickled--you want it to stop, but it feels kind of good :P

trollpwner:

Y'know, you'd think we could evolve to the point that we could recognize that everyone has different opinions of what the best/worst/most fun X is, but no, we keep having to have the "HEEY GUYS, WHUT DO YOU THINK" threads.

*sigh*

Although your contribution to the discussion was breathtaking in its revelatory quality and depth of thought, I'd be remiss if I didn't urge you to leave forums of exchange you dislike. Unless you enjoy playing the fool.

trollpwner:

Y'know, you'd think we could evolve to the point that we could recognize that everyone has different opinions of what the best/worst/most fun X is, but no, we keep having to have the "HEEY GUYS, WHUT DO YOU THINK" threads.

*sigh*

I don't think you actually read the thread, he was sharing a game that he found that he thinks is the "Scariest Game Ever" and wanted to share with us, it isn't a thread about what everyone thinks is the scariest game ever (although it will probably turn into that)

Clearing the Eye:
Although your contribution to the discussion was breathtaking in its revelatory quality and depth of thought, I'd be remiss if I didn't urge you to leave forums of exchange you dislike. Unless you enjoy playing the fool.

As side-splittingly humorous as your sarcasm is [SHUT UP! IT'S FUNNY WHEN I DO IT!], that doesn't change the fact that we've a bazillion of these totally unessecary threads. That we really don't need. Because they're unessecary. And we don't need them.

Also, they're repetitive.

Furioso:

I don't think you actually read the thread, he was sharing a game that he found that he thinks is the "Scariest Game Ever" and wanted to share with us, it isn't a thread about what everyone thinks is the scariest game ever (although it will probably turn into that)

Well if he's advertising, that's worse, surely? Saying "I found this new horror game I like" is fine, but saying "Scariest gaem ever guyzz! OMG!" as a forum title is misleading and a waste of everyone's time.

BTW, your avatar is awesome. I know that feel.

trollpwner:

Clearing the Eye:

As side-splittingly humorous as your sarcasm is [SHUT UP! IT'S FUNNY WHEN I DO IT!], that doesn't change the fact that we've a bazillion of these totally unessecary threads. That we really don't need. Because they're unessecary. And we don't need them.

Also, they're repetitive.

Mmm. Indeed. I too find video game forums a poor place to state one's opinion of video games and share floors for discussion on the topic. If only individuals would keep their thoughts to themselves and not share what they feel to be an interesting game with others, here, in this video game forum.

Surpassed only by your wit is your ability to make a valid point.

Clearing the Eye:
Mmm. Indeed. I too find video game forums a poor place to state one's opinion of video games and share floors for discussion on the topic. If only individuals would keep their thoughts to themselves and not share what they feel to be an interesting game with others, here, in this video game forum.

Thanks for reminding me. I'd forgotten that a valid expression of great intellectual capacity is just as valid after it's been done about 200 frickin' times. Except calling those "which gaem is teh best" threads "intellectual" does horrible things to the english language.

trollpwner:

Clearing the Eye:

Thanks for reminding me. I'd forgotten that a valid expression of great intellectual capacity is just as valid after it's been done about 200 frickin' times. Except calling those "which gaem is teh best" threads "intellectual" does horrible things to the english language.

I would hazard venturing into a criticism of what is and isn't harmful to a langue through the use of improper grammar and spelling. For instance, you will find English is capitalized and commas to be very useful. But I digress. Less you have any further profound thoughts to share with us on the ill nature of discussing video games here, in this video game forum, perhaps your time is best spent elsewhere?

Clearing the Eye:
I don't know if anyone reading this has ever seen my comments in the past where I mentioned that video games (or movies, or books, etc.) can't scare me. Not that I'm some tough guy or I think it's cool to be different, I've just never been able to be scared in a game. From Silent Hill to Amnesia, I've always just been immune to horror. Maybe my brain is just broken. But then I found this game... I'm not even joking when I say I almost had a heart attack while playing. Never before in my life have I been this scared.

It's a free game in alpha called SCP: Special Containment Procedures. I don't even know where to start describing this thing. It's a combination of scary and just plain fucking creepy. Basically... you're in a facility and some very bad things have broken containment. You can't fight back, only run. You can manually control your blinking and doing so will save your life--if you can remember to do it while having a heart attack; the first, er, thing you come into contact with can only move when you blink in game. When it does move, it moves super, super fast. When looking at it, it stands perfectly still. The levels are randomly generated, so you never experience the same thing twice.

It's free. Go download it. Turn all the lights off. Put headphones on. Shit your pants. I don't own it or know the person who does. Sorry if this sounds like an ad. I just felt the need to share. I'm nice like that ;D

From what I've seen, this isnt really all that good of a game, all about jump scares and randomly generated levels? Talk about a lack of atmosphere...and horror is all about atmosphere.

This is a public service announcement.

trollpwner:

*sigh*

I'm honestly tired of repeating this, so let's use this as an example this time:

If you don't like a thread, don't post in it.

If you think it's against the rules, simply report it, we'll deal with it - Don't post in it.

If you think a thread, it's creator, and everyone involved is simply stupid then don't post in it.

If you can't provide any sort of relevant constructive content; if thread, its wording, or topic make your blood boil to the point past any reasonable argument; if you think the topic is so utterly idiotic, so completely devoid of any intelligent content that no reasonable discussion can ever be had, then...

DON'T. POST. IN. IT.

Posts containing the contextual equivalent of "I don't care", "oh look, it's this thread again", etc... will be considered spam and/or flamebaiting and will just get you banned. There is no rule in the code of conduct that you have to post in every thread you see, but there ARE several rules about keeping your posts constructive and on topic. If you can't do that, if you can't make a constructive and relevant post in a topic for any given reason: then simply don't post.

This has been a public service announcement. You may return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Montezuma's Lawyer:

Clearing the Eye:

From what I've seen, this isnt really all that good of a game, all about jump scares and randomly generated levels? Talk about a lack of atmosphere...and horror is all about atmosphere.

I think there's a ton of atmosphere, personally. It creates this intense environment of paranoia, where you're constantly on edge because you know Blinky is close, just not where. Forcing you to have to look at him to prevent him from moving causes a lot of moments when the player is running for their life, heart beating out of their chest, not knowing if you should turn around to look or keep going for the next door. You're in such a panic you can't think straight.

It's not the slow build environment of, say, Amnesia. It's more of just a general heart pounding experience that doesn't stop from the very start. It's also only in Alpha, so the bulk of the art and things are still missing. But if it scares me this much to play it when it's only just put together, I think the end product should be a trip to the hospital waiting to happen XP

Hey guys i am a massive horror fan and i have played every horror game from silent hill to siren and this game (SCP: Containment Breach) is no exception. However it is not the scariest game i have played if you "mental masochists" want more horror after playing this i strongly suggest "Cry of Fear", a Halflife 1 mod that is the single scariest experience i have ever had. It's really good and even has an online co-op mode with a separate storyline! but this is still really good it just goes to show that the AAA developers just cannot do horror anymore, which is really sad, but as long as modders and indie devs keep making what they are making we will have great horror epics for years to come! (I am hoping so anyway!)

mister_redgrave:
Hey guys i am a massive horror fan and i have played every horror game from silent hill to siren and this game (SCP: Containment Breach) is no exception. However it is not the scariest game i have played if you "mental masochists" want more horror after playing this i strongly suggest "Cry of Fear", a Halflife 1 mod that is the single scariest experience i have ever had. It's really good and even has an online co-op mode with a separate storyline! but this is still really good it just goes to show that the AAA developers just cannot do horror anymore, which is really sad, but as long as modders and indie devs keep making what they are making we will have great horror epics for years to come! (I am hoping so anyway!)

There sure is a lot of horror mods for Half-Life games. Wonder why.

Clearing the Eye:

mister_redgrave:

There sure is a lot of horror mods for Half-Life games. Wonder why.

Two words, man. Source. Engine. It's really good to use and using Source SDK makes it easier to get your product out there and in the hands of the world. That and valve welcome people to mod their games where as certain other companies like ones that make a certain awesome sci-fi epic starring a character you make focusing on choice based gameplay, which shall remain nameless, hate the thought of people not working for them making things.

Clearing the Eye:
SCP: Special Containment Procedures.

Wait wait wait.

SCP?

Like the SCP insane objects list?

The creepiest fucking list ive ever read?

THAT SCP?

Is it based on this? If you havnt read SCP i suggest you do, the website confirms its based on SCP list.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/

All objects deemed "Evil and innimical to human life" are filed under "keter". Read through the keter list. They range from comical to utterly fucking horrifying. I believe there is an entry for the creature youve described as the enemy. Yeah. This thing.

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-173

It isnt even making the grade for keter. Theres some real nightmare fuel in that list trust me. Read it if you get the time.

For horror fans, you'll be glad to know there's another game based on SCP. This one based on SCP-087, and it looks just as creepy as it sounds.

This thing gets getting deeper. It's like some morbid underground of creepiness.

If people playing this game are visited by some creepy monster and killed a week after first downloading it, I called it.

Damn, SCP foundation is awesome. The first articles they had were pretty much your standard creepypasta, but as they got more and more pages, they started to get really creative... some of the stuff on there is truly head-twistingly creepy.

Clearing the Eye:

A genuinely scary game that does atmosphere right? For free?
Much obliged.
Also, you may want to check out the extremely Lovecraft-inspired Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth if you're a horror-fan... It loses a bit of the edge after the first 1/3 of the game (you get weapons), but I still love it.

Alhazred:
Damn, SCP foundation is awesome. The first articles they had were pretty much your standard creepypasta, but as they got more and more pages, they started to get really creative... some of the stuff on there is truly head-twistingly creepy.

Mmm. It's very hit or miss. Feels sort of like somewhere you're not supposed to be, lol.

Absimilliard:

Clearing the Eye:

A genuinely scary game that does atmosphere right? For free?
Much obliged.
Also, you may want to check out the extremely Lovecraft-inspired Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth if you're a horror-fan... It loses a bit of the edge after the first 1/3 of the game (you get weapons), but I still love it.

Keep in mind it's an alpha. I haven't had problems, but art and more complex mechanics are missing. It probably makes it creepier, actually, like the whole game world isn't quite "right."

BiscuitTrouser:

Clearing the Eye:
SCP: Special Containment Procedures.

Wait wait wait.

SCP?

Like the SCP insane objects list?

The creepiest fucking list ive ever read?

THAT SCP?

Is it based on this? If you havnt read SCP i suggest you do, the website confirms its based on SCP list.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/

All objects deemed "Evil and innimical to human life" are filed under "keter". Read through the keter list. They range from comical to utterly fucking horrifying. I believe there is an entry for the creature youve described as the enemy. Yeah. This thing.

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-173

It isnt even making the grade for keter. Theres some real nightmare fuel in that list trust me. Read it if you get the time.

Holy titty-fucking-christ.

You have actually scared the shit out of me.

Jesus.....

Supertegwyn:

Holy titty-fucking-christ.

You have actually scared the shit out of me.

Jesus.....

Wanna read my personal favourites?

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-966

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-679 - WARNING - Picture attatched is VERY disturbing.

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-280

There are more. Ill link when i find them.

Clearing the Eye:
snip

Thanks. I've heard of SCP, but I didn't know that an actual (sort of) game came out of it, instead of creepy procedural tech demos. I played a bit of this. I LOVE the blinking mechanic, this is water-moster levels of brilliant in my opinion. I also love the sound and music, they tie together so perfectly that even if this was a text game it would still be scary. Sadly I seem to be too retarded to finish it, it requires you to run, run, run, oh picked up some item but I don't have time to check my inventory cause the thing will eat me, run, run, run, dead end, oh shit what now, uhmmm, maybe one of the items DEAD. It's...refreshingly hardcore, I'll keep working on it.

What I watched was nothing but jump scare and threat of jump scare. It's "scary", but I wouldn't call it a good horror game.

That's just me, though. Am I going to play it? No, because I think jump scares are cheap.

Yeah, I downloaded that a little while ago but I couldn't play it, nasty bug. As soon as the intro finished the screen just blacked out and wouldn't come back. I tried it a few times, it happened every time. Annoying. I'll have a look when it's out of Alpha, while it is hardly original (come on, if you know the Weeping Angels, you have to have rolled your eyes when you first heard about this) it does seem like a pretty cool game.
Horror seems to be clawing it's way back to being good again, first Amnesia, now this. Yeeeaaahh!

Edit: But seriously, Amnesia didn't scare you? WHAT ARE YOU?!

Sounds like a combination of Amnesia level paranoia (plus not being able to fight back) combined with the weeping angels of Doctor Who. Albeit I haven't watched the video yet, I'm at school right now ;~;

That weird blow-up doll monster is laughable the first time you see it. Then you blink and it becomes a symbol of your fears.You can tell this game is based of an interesting concept when you go from heckling the creature to crying for your mother in a matter of seconds.

Oh, this looks delightful. I'm like you, mostly immune to horror movies, books and games with the occasional bit scaring me but this looks terrifying. Thanks!

Feels really weird saying, "Thanks!" to someone for providing me with material that will probably ruin many pairs of underwear.

EDIT: Try this, if nothing scares you anymore, make your own stuff! I've been writing an action-horror book for the past year now and I scare myself with the ideas sometimes. Not to toot my own horn but it makes it a little hard to sleep sometimes...

Carnagath:

Clearing the Eye:
snip

Thanks. I've heard of SCP, but I didn't know that an actual (sort of) game came out of it, instead of creepy procedural tech demos. I played a bit of this. I LOVE the blinking mechanic, this is water-moster levels of brilliant in my opinion. I also love the sound and music, they tie together so perfectly that even if this was a text game it would still be scary. Sadly I seem to be too retarded to finish it, it requires you to run, run, run, oh picked up some item but I don't have time to check my inventory cause the thing will eat me, run, run, run, dead end, oh shit what now, uhmmm, maybe one of the items DEAD. It's...refreshingly hardcore, I'll keep working on it.

Reading the documents and stuff you find in the offices and on shelves can help if you get lost or confused as what to do. They are also full of all that creepy SCP lore.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked