So I just bought Civilization III....

... and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. You see, I read the article about that guy and his ten year long game of Civ II and decided I might try to get in on the series. I checked out Steam and found Civ III was only $5 so I picked it up.

To my dismay, there is no tutorial to be found in the game. Therefore, I keep getting trampled as I don't know what to do.

So I was wondering if any of you fine Escapists could give me some tips on how to start in this game and some basic mechanics and how they work and all that.

Thanks for any help you can offer. :)

EDIT: I suppose I should add I'm not opposed to purchasing one of the other games if anyone recommends that. Civ IV and V aren't terribly hard on your computer are they?

I cannot tell you, it's confidential. Anyway, how's your sex life?

But seriously, I'm sure there's a bunch a good guides with a simple googlesearch or on youtube.

SecretNegative:
I cannot tell you, it's confidential. Anyway, how's your sex life?

But seriously, I'm sure there's a bunch a good guides with a simple googlesearch or on youtube.

Eh, I tried Youtube and the few "tutorials" I found were just awful. Kids whose mic was too quiet, or they kept messing with their headset. All the things you're not supposed to do, they did. I'll try googling around I guess, and see what I can find.

You can get a good handle on what to do by just doing whatever your advisers tell you for a while. Just find a good location for your first city using your settler and build it. Standard hotkey to build a city is 'b'.

Explore, build, expand.

EDIT: Full disclosure. III I have never played. I have, however, played the HELL out of II, IV, and V.

Most people seem to like IV the best, although there are aspects of V that I like.

Have you found the Civilopedia yet? That's the in game guide which will give you details on all the units, buildings etc. Aside from that, it's pretty much in the genre title, eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate!

number2301:
Have you found the Civilopedia yet? That's the in game guide which will give you details on all the units, buildings etc. Aside from that, it's pretty much in the genre title, eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate!

Yeah I've found that and it's really helpful, but it doesn't really have game mechanics, which is what I'm really looking for here. Kinda hard to play the game when I don't even know how to do it.

What do you mean by game mechanics? It's been a while since I played Civ 3 but doesn't the Civilopedia have a section by that exact name?

While you get back with the answer to that, general tips -

1. Build cities where you've got a balance of good production (from things like forests and hills) and good food (grass land, sea tiles etc)
2. Pay attention to the tile type when attacking and defending, you get various advantages and disadvantages for attacking/defending certain tiles. Civilopedia will have your back on this one, but hills are highly defensible.
3. Defend your cities with 1 or 2 good defensive units. Cities are defenceless in older Civ games.
4. Build cities, loads of them, they generate research, and can build units. Win win.

What I mean is I figured out stuff like building a city and producing units, but within a few turns, there's civil disorder and my people are diseased. Stuff happens and I have no idea where it came from or how to stop it. Actions like gathering resources don't really make sense to me so I have no idea how to get food or anything like that. It just seems like a lot of these basic things aren't covered in the game.

I looked through the Civopedia, but I didn't see any of this.

When you build a city, whatever citizens are available will automatically be set to gather nearby resources. You can select what tiles will be worked if you want, but it's not really necessary for beginners.

Civil disorder: Do you have any unites fortified in the city? You should have at least one or two.

Your citizens becoming diseased within a few turns is just bizarre, though.

I can only give you one advice, if you are going to play a Civ game let it be Civ4.
Considered by many the best Civ game ever.

Besides i think most people who actually played Civ3 did that a long time ago to be of any help.

I've heard it's a difficult thing to get into, I really don't know as I must have been playing Civ for about 20 years so it's all second nature to me now.

Doesn't Civ III have a massive manual? I'm sure that comes from the era of proper manuals, have a good leaf through that see if it helps. If you bought it digitally I'm sure there'll be a download somewhere.

But some basic concepts -

Cities produce several resources, Gold, Hammers (production), Beakers (science), and food. Food, production, and gold come from the land, on the city screen you can assign your people to work specific land tiles and it'll show you what it produces. Science is a byproduct of government type and your population.

Unhappiness is caused by a few things, military units (sometimes), and population are the main ones. Some buildings will create more happiness for you. Get enough unhappiness and you'll get civil disorder.

From what I remember of Civ III, there are special resources on the map (probably stuff like coal, beavers etc). You have two types of special resources, strategic which allow you to build units or buildings, and luxury which make people happy. You need to have workers connect these resources to your trade network. I think this involved building a road to it then performing a special action on it to create a small settlement.

That's all that comes to mind straight off.

Oh and diseases, marshes increase diseases, as does a high population in a single city.

Also, build cites, loads and loads of them.

Well thanks for the help so far. I did look around and found a manual for it, which I'm currently reading cover to cover. I'll see if this helps at all and I'll bring any further questions back here.

MysticToast:
snip

I was kind of in the same boat as you, till I played civ 5 and it just seems easy to get your head round.

I am still a total noob, at the moment I am playing on a mix of maps playing against 1 or 2 people on the easier settings till I start getting more used to it.

I would say do that on civ 3, just have 1 other person on the map, make it large (gives you more time to explore, more resources, more roomy etc) and stick it on easy then just muck about with stuff till you start to figure the game out.

MysticToast:
Well thanks for the help so far. I did look around and found a manual for it, which I'm currently reading cover to cover. I'll see if this helps at all and I'll bring any further questions back here.

I can help you with specific questions, as I've been playing Civ for ages (although III in particular is a few iterations old now, and as such getting a little foggy). But trying to sum up gameplay in general is a fool's errand. The game is way too broad and has way too many moving pieces. I'd be here for hours.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked