Has anyone here ever used a Wii HD Upscaling Device?

http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=10&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=21&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

I stumbled on this while reading Kotaku comments...It seems too good to be true, but I'm also beyond tempted. The thought of Skyward Sword or Xenoblade with smoothed out assets hurts me to my very soul at this moment, and I do have a paycheck coming next friday.

Has any one of you Escapists ever used one of these and can vouch for/advise against it?

Thanks!

AyreonMaiden:
http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=10&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=21&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

I stumbled on this while reading Kotaku comments...It seems too good to be true, but I'm also beyond tempted. The thought of Skyward Sword or Xenoblade with smoothed out assets hurts me to my very soul at this moment, and I do have a paycheck coming next friday.

Has any one of you Escapists ever used one of these and can vouch for/advise against it?

Thanks!

(I DO NOT SUPPORT PIRACY)

If you really care about Wii games looking good then you can buy the same DVD drive as the Wii for your PC then run the games at native 1080P using emulation rather than just having them upscaled. Seeing as you are using the DVD player to rip the games it is legal as they are your own copies that you are running (as long as you do not distribute the copies).

For $60 I would call an upscaler a rip-off. I wouldn't do it just for a smoothed image.

Matthew94:

AyreonMaiden:

Thanks!

If you really care about Wii games looking good then you can buy the same DVD drive as the Wii for your PC then run the games at native 1080P rather than just having them upscaled. Seeing as you are using the DVD player to rip the games it is legal as they are your own copies that you are running.

For $60 I would call an upscaler a rip-off. I wouldn't do it just for a smoothed image.

In my case it wouldn't even be piracy...I legitimately bought every game I could ever want on Wii at this point.

But the PC isn't an option...Nowhere near powerful enough. Is that where Dolphin comes in and all?

AyreonMaiden:

Matthew94:

AyreonMaiden:

Thanks!

If you really care about Wii games looking good then you can buy the same DVD drive as the Wii for your PC then run the games at native 1080P rather than just having them upscaled. Seeing as you are using the DVD player to rip the games it is legal as they are your own copies that you are running.

In my case it wouldn't even be piracy...I legitimately bought every game I could ever want on Wii at this point.

But the PC isn't an option...Nowhere near powerful enough. Is that where Dolphin comes in and all?

Yup, you can use it. I just said the piracy thing to hopefully avoid a warning. My method doesn't involve file sharing and uses your own copies and it is legitimate. I have used dolphin at 1080P and let me tell you, it looks fucking GORGEOUS.

I'll post some screenies in a second.

Bring em on! Also, bring on your PC specs for reference. My girlfriend and I have been looking into building a PC for a while...

AyreonMaiden:
Bring em on! Also, bring on your PC specs for reference. My girlfriend and I have been looking into building a PC for a while...

Sorry for the delay, steam is essentially down and my other PC which had the files kept crashing.

I wouldn't buy my PC now as it is a tad old.

Back then it had

i5 750 @ 3.8Ghz
Ati 5770
4GB RAM
650 PSW
CM Elite 330 Case
Asrock p55m Pro motherboard

I don't know how good the Wii version should look but check this out. The water in MG2 looks amazing to me. Tell me what you think, if it isn't that good then I'd rather know. You should view the image in full as the forum will downsize them.

My favourite of the lot is probably this.

I don't know what it is but that water looks great to me.

Just so you know, OP, anytime you watch SD content on an HDTV, it's upscaled to its native resolution. All upscaling is is a way of showing something lower res on a higher res screen. Usually it involves blowing up the picture by adding intermediate pixels between the ones that are already there[1]. What an outboard upscaler like that does is offer a potentially better quality upscaling job. Low quality upscalers in early HDTVs were a big part of the reason standard def content always looked so bad in the stores. There was a rumor (no doubt helped along by the marketers) that SD content looked worse on HD screens because the screens showed up flaws in the source, but the truth is the poor upscalers were also making things worse.

Long story short, it might make things look better if your TV has a bad upscaler, but it might not -- especially because it's only $60, while a standalone upscaler like that is usually something that that only sells to eccentric videophiles. Read: rich people with home theater as a hobby.

And yeah, the emulation option that others have suggested probably is your best bet. I just wanted to clear up what an upscaler did, and that it doesn't magically add detail.

[1] It's more involved than this, but that gives a basic idea of the process. The point is, it doesn't give you any details that weren't there before, it's more like a 2D version of antialiasing.

I really need to get Dolphin running on this PC, my Wii has been collecting dust for a while so it's a good chance to play some games I've missed in HD no less.

How's setting up the Wiimotes/sensor bar, painless or a bit of a hastle?

GoaThief:
I really need to get Dolphin running on this PC, my Wii has been collecting dust for a while so it's a good chance to play some games I've missed in HD no less.

How's setting up the Wiimotes/sensor bar, painless or a bit of a hastle?

Mostly painless.

The sensor bar isn't a sensor, the sensor is in the Wiimote, the sensor bar is just 2 LEDs so it doesn't need to be set up.

The Wiimotes can be a bit of a hassle but once you have it set up it's fine most of the time. For a while it wouldn't work for me as windows installed a new driver which broke the Wiimote compatibility as some shitty company somehow got their driver to have priority over the real ones.

If you want to play multiplayer then you need a good bluetooth stack. I tried to play MP with friends and the controllers kept disconnecting, it never worked in the end. SP is 100% fine but with 3 controllers it couldn't handle it. Either that or get multiple bluetooth connectors.

What do you think of the screenies, does it look any better than the Wii? I think it's at native 1080P but AA is at low or none.

Cheers for the info, guess what I'll be doing tomorrow. ;)

As for the screenies, looks better for sure - so much crisper.

GoaThief:
Cheers for the info, guess what I'll be doing tomorrow. ;)

As for the screenies, looks better for sure - so much crisper.

What specs are you running?

Funny thing is that from what I hear, AMDs llano could be great for running Dolphin due to the huge memory bandwidth but due to the fact that the CPU portion is so weak it means it's not good enough to warrant buying the chip.

Dolphin is one program that REALLY takes advantage of the CPU. It only uses 2 cores and it needs high clock speeds so people with a strong CPU are really going to feel the benefits when running dolphin.

Matthew94:

2500k (z68), 8gb RAM, 480, usual other stuff... should be plenty for Dolphin from what I gather?

GoaThief:

Matthew94:

2500k (z68), 8gb RAM, 480, usual other stuff... should be plenty for Dolphin from what I gather.

Errr yup :D

Have fun, be sure to make a thread or post here with your results (with the usual disclaimers saying you aren't a pirate to avoid mod wrath).

To get past the end of World 1 on SMG2 you need to use an experimental setting which needs shitloads of CPU power or else you have to run it on low with no sound. I think everyone says a 2500K is what you need to run it relatively smoothly.

Have fun!

Upscaling is hit or miss. My friend plays DVDs on his computer, rather than his blu-ray player, because Media Player Classic upscales far better than his blu-ray player.

Matthew94:
snip

That water is beautiful. Aaaahhhh I wanna do this so bad! Your Rainbow Road shots are so gorgeous!

Owyn_Merrilin:
snip

Thank you very much for clearing that up, cause honestly I did think it'd add all the bells and whistles you see in Dolphin shots. I know now to save my money.

Thanks guys!

AyreonMaiden:

Matthew94:
snip

That water is beautiful. Aaaahhhh I wanna do this so bad! Your Rainbow Road shots are so gorgeous!

I'm glad you like them :D

If you are thinking of getting a new PC to run Dolphin be sure to make a thread to see if we can all help you. If you don't want to build one then we could probably help find a good prebuilt for running it.

Matthew94:

AyreonMaiden:

Matthew94:
snip

I'm glad you like them :D

If you are thinking of getting a new PC to run Dolphin be sure to make a thread to see if we can all help you. If you don't want to build one then we could probably help find a good prebuilt for running it.

All right, I'll bear that in mind when I can finally spare the money to begin. Thanks!

Xenoblade looks amazing on Dolphin.

I looked it up on my Wii to compare and wow, it's no where near as nice.

Im playing Xenoblades in Dolphin and it is amazingly gorgeous

Use Dolphin if you can, although IIRC Wii+ doesn't work, you can buy a mayflash adapter to use a wii pad, or an arcade stick.

If you really want to play the Wii on a HD TV get a HD Probox, the lastest firmware has support for 1920x1080p (go for one thats has your native res) EDIT if I was you ild buy direct from the manufacturer rather than risk getting scammed off ebay with an older model or a wrong psu

You can also use it for many other SD machines IIRC including PSP-3000s
If you want anyother info or alternatives try this forum they are super clued up on all this stuff. http://shmups.system11.org/viewforum.php?f=6

Maxtro:
Xenoblade looks amazing on Dolphin.

I looked it up on my Wii to compare and wow, it's no where near as nice.

BernardoOne:
Im playing Xenoblades in Dolphin and it is amazingly gorgeous

Could we see some pics? IMO, Xenoblade was already good looking at 480p(that's the Wii's res, right?), I'd love to see some shots at 1080p.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked