So this Deus Ex: Human Revolution... Was this kinda a big deal when it came out?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I was searching for a new game to buy after playing Mafia II (enjoyed it). I ended up buying this for 20 dollars.

Sooo..... Were people heaping the same high praise on this game as Fallout 3 or New Vegas when this first came out? Cause honestly I'm having a blast with this and I don't understand for the life of me why I haven't heard anything about it.

In all of my gaming experiences, I don't think I will encounter anything more evil then telling a greiving mother to her face the absolute cold truth about the way her child was murdered, before grabbing her head and breaking her neck*... I set the game on easy so I could just be an unstoppable badass and this is what it must feel like to be a Terminator robot. DUN-DUN DUN DA DUN

Best part is once I'm done with my Terminator run, I can replay it all stealth and good guy like for more of a challenge.

Really the only thing I kinda don't like is the prerendered attack/kill animations, particularly because the game goes black for a second when you activate them as if to say "HOLD UP! LOADING THE PRERENDERED ANIMATION!". I would of rather had a melee combat system, or even a dreaded quicktime event so I at least felt less disconnected to what was happening on the screen.

There was buzz, it was a new Deus Ex game so of course people were talking about it. Threads tend to pop up about it every now and then, and personally I still listen to the music from the opening sequence a lot.

Oh and there'll be more you don't like but I won't ruin it :P

Deus Ex is a cursed IP, anyone who plays the first can't enjoy later ones as well because the first was too good and you can't help but to compare them.

DE:HR was good, probably great, but a $10 cheeseburger that would be awesome any other day of the week looks like crap sitting next to filet mignon.

Ye... ah.

It kinda was.

The internet didn't quite explode like with Mass Effect or Skyrim, but yeah, you couldn't really look through two forums without seeing a lot of people talking about it.

It also spawned the "I never asked for this." meme, as well as having a bunch of people trying to call it racist/sexist for its portrayal of a black chick who happens to be a hobo.

SaneAmongInsane:

Really the only thing I kinda don't like is the prerendered attack/kill animations, particularly because the game goes black for a second when you activate them as if to say "HOLD UP! LOADING THE PRERENDERED ANIMATION!". I would of rather had a melee combat system, or even a dreaded quicktime event so I at least felt less disconnected to what was happening on the screen.

and it is kind of a "no-fail" insta-kill thing..

but yeah, the game was very well received..its one of my favorites due to its awsome art design

Zaik:
Deus Ex is a cursed IP, anyone who plays the first can't enjoy later ones as well because the first was too good and you can't help but to compare them.

DE:HR was good, probably great, but a $10 cheeseburger that would be awesome any other day of the week looks like crap sitting next to filet mignon.

Suppose I lucked out then.

I was going to play Deus Ex: Invisible War once, but stopped almost immediately after I booted up because if my memory served me correct the graphics looked like utter shit... Like I was running it on a PS2/Xbox and they looked liked a launch PS1 game bad.

Other than the boss fights it was one of the best mainstream games I've played in years. Like Zaik said though, none of the sequels can compare to the first time I booted up the original. Damn that game was awesome.

Vault101:

SaneAmongInsane:

and it is kind of a "no-fail" insta-kill thing..

but yeah, the game was very well received..its one of my favorites due to its awsome art design

Well yeah, it's horribly unbalanced... but if the idea was to make the player feel like an unstoppable robot, it worked. I just wish since they went the route they did that should of made TONS of death animations so the chances of seeing the same one twice didn't happen so much.

Does it matter if it was considered a "big deal" or not? It lives up to the expectations of the original game in every way. A conspiracy roleplaying shooter, with lucid visuals, a magnificent plot, practically everything about it is sheer gold-plated quality. There are about three subjective hiccups which are frequently mentioned - separate melee cutscenes, scarcity of ammo, and a few mandatory bosses. They never got in the way of me enjoying the game.

imperialus:
Other than the boss fights it was one of the best mainstream games I've played in years. Like Zaik said though, none of the sequels can compare to the first time I booted up the original. Damn that game was awesome.

I actually could compare them, Human Revolution doesn't play as well but the art and sound make up for it to me.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on Thief 4 closer to release considering that Human Revolution was Eidos Montreal's first game.

SaneAmongInsane:

Well yeah, it's horribly unbalanced... but if the idea was to make the player feel like an unstoppable robot, it worked. I just wish since they went the route they did that should of made TONS of death animations so the chances of seeing the same one twice didn't happen so much.

The experience point distribution is also very unbalanced. You get a lot more for stealth than running in and killing everything.

SaneAmongInsane:

Zaik:

Suppose I lucked out then.

I was going to play Deus Ex: Invisible War once, but stopped almost immediately after I booted up because if my memory served me correct the graphics looked like utter shit... Like I was running it on a PS2/Xbox and they looked liked a launch PS1 game bad.

Invisible War is the reason why there have only been three Deus Ex games in 12 years. I've heard it's a decent game on it's own with nothing to compare to, but my best attempt at playing through it was maybe 3 hours before quitting in disgust at how someone could take a concept like Deus Ex, gut it of most of the interesting stuff, and then get the leftovers completely wrong as well.

The game was good enough for me to finish it on my first playthrough, which doesn't happen with a vast majority of the games I play. On the other hand, I haven't had any desire to play it again after finishing it.

I must say, though, the way I played it was very fun. I tried to play it completely non-confrontationally (on the highest difficulty, no less), which meant using no weapons or takedowns, or incapacitating enemies in any other way. The fact that I was able to do this is a testemant to how well designed the game is.

MammothBlade:
Does it matter if it was considered a "big deal" or not? It lives up to the expectations of the original game in every way. A conspiracy roleplaying shooter, with lucid visuals, a magnificent plot, practically everything about it is sheer gold-plated quality. There are about three subjective hiccups which are frequently mentioned - separate melee cutscenes, scarcity of ammo, and a few mandatory bosses. They never got in the way of me enjoying the game.

I ask because I honestly never really heard anything about it to the point that I had to watch a couple youtube videos to understand if I would like it or not. Usually when theres an awesome game like this, one hears SOMETHING from word of mouth. Maybe I just was preoccupied with other things *shrug*

Dryk:

imperialus:

I actually could compare them, Human Revolution doesn't play as well but the art and sound make up for it to me.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on Thief 4 closer to release considering that Human Revolution was Eidos Montreal's first game.

SaneAmongInsane:

The experience point distribution is also very unbalanced. You get a lot more for stealth than running in and killing everything.

Yeah but you can buy Praxis points so... is that a problem? I'm also not seeing an option to upgrade my health or anything so.... *shrug*?

I loved everything until we left Detroit. The game would've been much better if it stayed the route of you solving crimes. I couldn't of given two shits about the global conspiracy shit.

Zaik:

It's not cursed. Invisible War was just a blip, and I'm not sure it's all that bad either. I'm confident that HR is on an equal footing with the original, which I played first.

I would've liked it more if you could actually do more with the information you acquire, the game's devs used big words and said the game was all about options and choice, yeah well. Snooping around Sarif offices I found enough evidence to get half the company (including quasi-antagonist Pritchard) fired, but 'lo and behold, I couldn't do a damn thing with it.

It also didn't help that every "plot twist" I encountered along the way I could see coming from a mile away.

When Human Revolution works, it works. But when it doesn't, eesh~

imahobbit4062:
I loved everything until we left Detroit. The game would've been much better if it stayed the route of you solving crimes. I couldn't have given two shits about the global conspiracy shit.

Haha. It wouldn't be a Deus Ex game without "global conspiracy shit".

imahobbit4062:
I loved everything until we left Detroit. The game would've been much better if it stayed the route of you solving crimes. I couldn't of given two shits about the global conspiracy shit.

Dude, Deus Ex is ABOUT "Global conspiracy shit"

ResonanceSD:

imahobbit4062:

Also gravelly voices and wearing sunglasses at night. Two things Invisible War lacked... coincidence?

Dryk:

ResonanceSD:

imahobbit4062:

Also gravelly voices and wearing sunglasses at night. Two things Invisible War lacked... coincidence?

Oh the gravelly voice works so well... I'm Robo-Batman. ^.^

Dryk:

ResonanceSD:

imahobbit4062:

but invisible war is the only game in esistence where you troll the knights templar

knights templar "alex we know you tried to join us once.."

alex "haha and you took that seriously?"

knights templar *nerd rage* "we will kill you !!! "

im one of the rare people out there that liked all the deus ex games

Zaik:

...I like both games. A lot, actually.

Sure, I think DX1 is better, but DX:HR is one of the best AAA games I've played in the last 5 years. They at least got most of the gameplay correct, and marrying cover-based stealth and shooting to the existing gameplay actually worked for me; it felt like an agent/spy-game rather than a Gears of War clone.

The biggest weakness of DX:HR is the ending. It was obviously a rush-job.

Yes, those kill animations can be quite amusing. Especially when performed on civilians. There's nothing like walking up to 2 random people, picking up one of them, shoving them into the other person and then making an NPC Kebab. The best part is at the end of the game where I discovered you could kill David Sarif and William Taggart. Without warning I walked up to Sarif, grabbed his head, and threw him behind me while holding his head in place as his body spun around like a helicopter, effectively twisting his neck 360 degrees. Consider that my resignation.

nikki191:
im one of the rare people out there that liked all the deus ex games

I liked Invisible War too, I was able to just sort of ignore its pedigree and judge it by itself. Just like Unreal 2.

lol

Welcome to the internet!

Unlike real life, the internet come with something called a search bar.

It can answer your questions for you! You don't need to rely on the random posts of people who are already past the idea.

Just so you know, people didn't like Dragon Age II, people think the cake was a lie in the Portal game, and this kid named Justin Beaver is somehow important.

Yeah I hear it was pretty good, which was a shame, because my copy never arrived
:(

ResonanceSD:

imahobbit4062:

I'm aware of that. I'm just saying it wasn't exactly a good story. I enjoyed playing Cop in Detroit. The conspiracy side of the game though...such a drag. If the gameplay wasn't so good I wouldn't of finished the game. I cared nothing for the characters or much for the world either.

Also, keep in mind... It was buried under the amazing release year that was 2011.

Seriously its dialog system got overshadowed by things like LA noire, Its gun mechanics got overshadowed by Blops, Its RPG system got overshadowed by Skyrim and Dark Souls and its stealth got overshadowed by Arkham city.

And thats basically what Deus Ex HR IS... a merger of some of the best parts of all of those games, but because its a hybrid its a little weaker with all of those parts than a specialized game would be,.

Ive finally gotten around to playing it, and im playing it now Its a solid game, but again , Hybrid weakness.

Dunno bout anyone else but I loved this game to bits. Favorite of 2011.

viranimus:
Also, keep in mind... It was buried under the amazing release year that was 2011.

Seriously its dialog system got overshadowed by things like LA noire, Its gun mechanics got overshadowed by Blops, Its RPG system got overshadowed by Skyrim and Dark Souls and its stealth got overshadowed by Arkham city.

And thats basically what Deus Ex HR IS... a merger of some of the best parts of all of those games, but because its a hybrid its a little weaker with all of those parts than a specialized game would be,.

Ive finally gotten around to playing it, and im playing it now Its a solid game, but again , Hybrid weakness.

While I haven't played Arkham City, I have played Asylum and I would say HR had much better stealth. I usually end up in large gunfights in stealth games. HR was just too damn fun stealth wise to bust being blown. I frequently reloaded auto saves because of this, something I never do.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a good game.
Deus Ex: Invisible War is also a good game.
Anybody who says otherwise has typically been spoiled by the superior (though overrated) original.
It's an unfortunate fact for the series, that it will never live up to the fans' memories of the first game, but its true.

imahobbit4062:

viranimus:

While I haven't played Arkham City, I have played Asylum and I would say HR had much better stealth. I usually end up in large gunfights in stealth games. HR was just too damn fun stealth wise to bust being blown. I frequently reloaded auto saves because of this, something I never do.

Oh no doubt. Keep in mind, when I say Overshadowed, I do not mean to say was better than in any of these cases. Just that other games notable for that specific gameplay element were simply more anticipated at the time.

Honestly I find that the stealth component in Deus Ex is actually quite comparable. I think batmans is actually better, but Deus Ex is far more enjoyable because if you get bored of sneaking around at any time you can belt out a rocket launcher or machine pistol, and I still have yet to find the command to make batman do that. Basically with batman you rarely have the option to do anything but stealth and after 10-15 hours of that it gets more than tedious.

Also think that its "detective" mode is almost on par with LA noire. Bondi just botched it by putting too much of it in.

All of this and more is a major reason why if you look back on my history of posts, I did suggest DEHR wouldnt but should be game of the year and I JUST started playing it in earnest a few weeks ago.

When it came out? Sheesh. It came out like 2 days ago (or at least late last year). It's not like it's 20 years since and you have to search through micro fiche to gather impressions of the reception.

Dryk:

imperialus:

SaneAmongInsane:

You should get more for stealth, its more time consuming and difficult.

Thats not unbalanced its balanced to give the harder option actual benefits.

There was a fair bit of buzz when it came out. I bought it for myself as a present for finally finding a job last year. Some of the better money I've spent. It was begging for a proper melee system ala Alpha Protocol perhaps but I think that may well have completely unbalanced the game.

I usually do not enjoy stealth in games but I loved how it was handled in DE:HR.

While it was not as open as the original, unlike the original I actually enjoyed playing it. The original was "better" but I liked DE:HR better.

As for why the OP never heard about it before now...hiding under a rock maybe? There was a pretty good marketing and build up. Not to mention the four year development cycle. Nothing to worry about though.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked