Aliens Colonial Marines playable female marine petition

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Hey all,

Is anyone else excited for Colonial Marines.

Gearbox said that there will be no playable female marines in multiplayer, only in singleplayer. This game wants to be the true sequel to Aliens, and I can totally respect that. The thing is that Aliens is all about badass women. Vasquez, Ferro, Dietrich, Ripley, even Alien Resurrection had Call. Maybe if enough of us asks nicely we can get female characters in multiplayer, carry on the spirit of the Alien series.

A user over on AVPGalaxy.net set up an online petition. If we get enough signatures we can send it to Gearbox.

Please sign if you want to play as a female marine!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/include-playable-females-in-aliens-colonial/

oh well that-

oh...in single player?...well thats not so bad...(then agsin we would probably be looking at a pathetic 6 hour deal)

sign anyway..why not?

Why would they exclude female from multiplayer in the first place, especially if they already have models made for single player? It sounds like they're just asking for trouble.

Wasn't this movie based around a female perspective....?

And wasn't there two gun-touting female marines who kicked ass?

female or male, all are equal in the jaws of a xenomorph.

I signed it anyway (mainly because it took all of ten seconds), but I must ask, is this really necessary? If it's multiplayer, I'm assuming it's just going to look like your bog standard soldier anyway, and the only way they'll differentiate is having longer hair and boobs. Which somebody may end up complaining about saying that the only way game developers can "make" women in games is by slapping some tits on to a character.

I feel like I should know somehimg about this, lol.

Lilani:
Why would they exclude female from multiplayer in the first place, especially if they already have models made for single player? It sounds like they're just asking for trouble.

DigitalAtlas:

Yeah! The entire Alien series is Ripley's story after all. I don't know why Gearbox wouldn't create female models for multiplayer considering what the series is about. Plus Vasquez was one of the most badass members of the entire team.

If they already have a model for single player, why not make it multiplayer too? Especially considering a lot of people, both male and female look up to Ripley and Vasquez.

The game still has 9 months to go so hopefully they will have enough time to include them.

Andy Shandy:
I signed it anyway (mainly because it took all of ten seconds), but I must ask, is this really necessary?

There are male and female colonial marines in the Alien movies. It's like giving the motion tracker the right sound. (Also, it's not exactly like we're swimming in multiplayer shooters with selectable gender.)

Andy Shandy:
I signed it anyway (mainly because it took all of ten seconds), but I must ask, is this really necessary? If it's multiplayer, I'm assuming it's just going to look like your bog standard soldier anyway, and the only way they'll differentiate is having longer hair and boobs. Which somebody may end up complaining about saying that the only way game developers can "make" women in games is by slapping some tits on to a character.

Women soldiers don't necessarily need to look or act much different, especially in a setting like Aliens where they all act like stereotypical marines anyway.

Kahunaburger:

Andy Shandy:
I signed it anyway (mainly because it took all of ten seconds), but I must ask, is this really necessary?

There are male and female colonial marines in the Alien movies. It's like giving the motion tracker the right sound.

Fair enough, it may be a bigger deal than I thought. By all means, if it's seen as a "big" (I want to use a better word here but can't think of one) part for the fans then Gearbox should definitely do it. The fans will appreciate Gearbox all the more for doing it. And if they already have the female character models, you would think it shouldn't be too difficult.

Side-note: I really need to get round to watching the films at some stage =P

Chemical Alia:

Women soldiers don't necessarily need to look or act much different, especially in a setting like Aliens where they all act like stereotypical marines anyway.

That was part of the reason I was wondering if it was necessary to begin with. If they're not going to look or act particularly different, then my thought process was "Is there much point in having them in?", although I suppose that could be turned on it's head and someone else could easily say "Well, it shouldn't take much time to incorporate into the game then"

Chemical Alia:

Andy Shandy:

<Vasquez starts doing pullups just after waking up from hypersleep>

Hudson: "Hey Vasquez, you ever been mistaken for a man?"

Vasquez: "No, have you?"

Have online petitions ever achieved anything?

Flood Gearbox' forums with comments. Contact them directly about it. Pester Randy Pitchford relentlessly until he gives up and tells the dev team to give you want you want. Show that you really want having female marines in mp. Show commitment and actually raise your voice. This still doesn't guarantee anything, but it's more likely to work than an online petition.

Andy Shandy:

Definitely - great movies :D

(My advice is to watch Alien, Aliens, and stop there.)

Kahunaburger:

Andy Shandy:

Definitely - great movies :D

(My advice is to watch Alien, Aliens, and stop there.)

The third is worth a fair shake too :) Then they should stop...

Andy Shandy:

That was part of the reason I was wondering if it was necessary to begin with. If they're not going to look or act particularly different, then my thought process was "Is there much point in having them in?", although I suppose that could be turned on it's head and someone else could easily say "Well, it shouldn't take much time to incorporate into the game then"

youre over thinking it...seriously..people over think gender reltaed issues

no..really

its like essentially saying "well whats the point of females if they don't act feminine?"

as a xx chromozone gamer I really do leap at any chance to play as anythign other than a man

Vault101:

Andy Shandy:

youre over thinking it...seriously..people over think gender reltaed issues

no..really

its like essentially saying "well whats the point of females if they don't act feminine?"

as a xx chromozone gamer I really do leap at any chance to play as anythign other than a man

I'll admit, I do have a tendency to do that =P

shadowedge:

Lilani:

DigitalAtlas:

Yeah! The entire Alien series is Ripley's story after all. I don't know why Gearbox wouldn't create female models for multiplayer considering what the series is about. Plus Vasquez was one of the most badass members of the entire team.

If they already have a model for single player, why not make it multiplayer too? Especially considering a lot of people, both male and female look up to Ripley and Vasquez.

The game still has 9 months to go so hopefully they will have enough time to include them.

Well, I won't be signing. I figure a big list saying "HEY! HERE'S HOW MANY PEOPLE THINK YOU'RE STUPIDLY WRONG!" is the worst way to get things done. Yes, it gets results, but I'd rather the developers see the errors of their ways on their own without pieces of paper demanding to do what the fans want. Afterall, they're the ones making the work. When fans claim they have a say in the outcome like they even understand what engine limits are, we get something like the ME3 backlash and...

chimpzy:

Flood Gearbox' forums with comments. Contact them directly about it. Pester Randy Pitchford relentlessly until he gives up and tells the dev team to give you want you want. Show that you really want having female marines in mp. Show commitment and actually raise your voice. This still doesn't guarantee anything, but it's more likely to work than an online petition.

We actually do read all the email/fan mail we get and send it out and discuss/respond to it.

Signed, though I don't see it as a massive deal. Despite heavily looking forward to this game.

As long as the character isn't modeled off of Michelle Rodriguez. That's my only stipulation.

Chemical Alia:

chimpzy:

We actually do read all the email/fan mail we get and send it out and discuss/respond to it.

Nice! That's good to hear!

Signed. I think its about time for all multiplayer games to have selectable gender and its the art teams job to make them look similar enough that their silohettes are immediately distinguishable as a class/role or whatever you want to call it.

Of course there are really some cop outs, for example with Warhammer online not having Female Chosen because "they couldnt get the look right". Maybe Im being harsh here but its their job to get the look right. I get paid by salary in my current job as well as when I was in the army and the rule has always been you work till the job for that day is done. Doesnt matter if its 4 hours or 16 hours

I honestly can't imagine Aliens without a strong female marine being involved.

No female characters in MP but the assets already exists in SP? Ummmmmm, okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay... I cannot see why that would be too hard to fix.

You can play a female in single player but not in multi-player aye...

Rightly or wrongly I see this as 90% a technical thing. I mean the hit boxes would have to be different and because of that you'd need to balance the characters and that's extra programming/play testing. Then its 10% "Well our market is predominantly male".

I'll sign the petition, but I have a Yahtzee approach to multiplayer gaming so its purely out of an desire for equality... OK, maybe a little out of gender inferiority and guilt from 3rd wave feminism

-- That was a Joke

Has anyone actually taken a second to think about how unbalanced this may be? The hitboxes would have to be smaller, that gives female characters an advantage over male ones. Maybe they could make all characters female or just say "Fuck it" and make the hitboxes the same, but in any case...

Isn't the deal with female characters in the Alien universe that they're not a big deal? It's not like they take a female and shove it in your face screaming "LOOK GUYS A FEMALE CHARACTER THAT'S NOT JUST HERE TO PROVIDE TITS WE ARE SO NOT SEXIST AND EQUALITY AND SHIT AND DUHDFUH"? This kinda goes against it. All of a sudden we have arbitrary females for the sake of "equality" and what not... Can't get behind this.

Windcaler:
I get paid by salary in my current job as well as when I was in the army and the rule has always been you work till the job for that day is done. Doesnt matter if its 4 hours or 16 hours

Good God man, are you hourly?

In fairness, comparing game development to soldering is like comparing apples to exploding lemon grenades. Civvies generally need at least four hours sleep per night as well and live at home with families than need attention. I think this is mainly a resource thing. Saying that "Lets just ignore the female demographic aye?" *Shakes head with exasperation*

Would recommend against oversimplification, but then again I'm a hypocrite

DigitalAtlas:

No there was just one. Vasquez. The other one didn't really kick any ass, she died with the rest of the mooks.

So it finally reached here :p. Are you from the Gearbox forum?

And yes I already signed it.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Has anyone actually taken a second to think about how unbalanced this may be? The hitboxes would have to be smaller, that gives female characters an advantage over male ones. Maybe they could make all characters female or just say "Fuck it" and make the hitboxes the same, but in any case...

Isn't the deal with female characters in the Alien universe that they're not a big deal? It's not like they take a female and shove it in your face screaming "LOOK GUYS A FEMALE CHARACTER THAT'S NOT JUST HERE TO PROVIDE TITS WE ARE SO NOT SEXIST AND EQUALITY AND SHIT AND DUHDFUH"? This kinda goes against it. All of a sudden we have arbitrary females for the sake of "equality" and what not... Can't get behind this.

((The comment above yours buddy XD))

second paragraph... *sigh* dude, its the fact that the demographic is just thrown away in this day and age that I have a problem with.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Well if equality doesn't sit well with you how about respecting the canon and history of Aliens :p?

went to quote someone failed at it i think i should go to sleep. Also i signed it cause i dont like playing as male characters.

Sargent Hoofbeat:
second paragraph... *sigh* dude, its the fact that the demographic is just thrown away in this day and age that I have a problem with.

Fair enough I guess.

Nouw:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Well if equality doesn't sit well with you how about respecting the canon and history of Aliens :p?

Well, what about the history and canon of Aliens? Females exist? No shit.

This is what I'm talking about. Alien is great because it never made a big point about having female characters, they were just there, because hey, females exist. This is making a big deal of it and seems as disrespectful to me as leaving them out entirely. Just seems counter productive.

But yeah, they should probably put female characters in there. I just can't believe they need a petition to realize this.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Sargent Hoofbeat:

Fair enough I guess.

Nouw:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Well, what about the history and canon of Aliens? Females exist? No shit.

This is what I'm talking about. Alien is great because it never made a big point about having female characters, they were just there, because hey, females exist. This is making a big deal of it and seems as disrespectful to me as leaving them out entirely. Just seems counter productive.

But yeah, they should probably put female characters in there. I just can't believe they need a petition to realize this.

No, that there are female marines in the Corps but you get my point anyway and we both agree that this really shouldn't be an issue considering how much GBX goes on about how much they love the Alien franchise.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked