Words that developers/publishers/publicists use that make you cringe.

Sort of like this but concerning developers, publishers and publicists.

I'll go first:

"accessible"

For me it just has so many unfavorable connotations and associations.

"Back to basics"

Very good, you're going backwards in development, why not go the full way and live in a cave when you're at it?

Yeah, I'm a little tired of people shrieking how good the 80's and 90's were.

"We are streamlining our game to make it more accessible for a wider audience"

Were taking the game in an entirely new direction.

Matthew94:

porpoise hork:
Were taking the game in an entirely new direction.

Ninjas everywhere.

For me, basically anything that translates from marketing-speak to "we're going to follow up on that game that was awesome by removing some of the features that made it awesome, possibly in exchange for new features unrelated to why that game was awesome."

"We're reassessing the core values of the series."

"Exclusively on X"

Yes, I understand the idea behind exclusives selling consoles and all that but goddamnit, it would make my life so much easier if I could just play everything on the one console! =P

On a similar note:

"Timed exclusive DLC"

There is no point in this at all besides the opportunity for annoying platform specific fanboys to rub it in another platform fanboy's face.

and finally (at least my final point anyway)

"Day one DLC"

Just the idea that the game that I buy isn't "full" or part of it is locked away because I didn't buy it new, irritates me a little.

And also

Matthew94:

I've found 'Team-based Gameplay' usually means 'We don't want to have to actually balance the characters/loadouts/builds against each other'

"Story driven"...

For me I hear "we get to play Hollywood director and you HAVE to sit through out 'creation' to even get a slight clue what the story is about". I don't do that. I don't sit through the cutscenes and if you can't convey the motivation of my character or even the basics of the story through other means than cutscenes then you failed.

It bothers me that people think "accessible" is a dirty word.

Then I remember that Real Games should not be playable by anyone except Real Gamers.

Zhukov:
It bothers me that people think "accessible" is a dirty word.

Then I remember that Real Games should not be playable by anyone except Real Gamers.

Usually because it involves removing mechanics than refining them.

"We want to present the player with a cinematic experience."
Can you guess the game?

Reimagining/reboot.

Whatever we did before this that got us to where we are now doesn't matter because we're binning it and redoing the whole thing. Only works in rare cases.

Matthew94:

I know what you mean, often "streamlining" is used to mean "All interesting features that people like removed," but I dislike when people assume any game that is streamlined is bad.

Everything Molyneux has ever said ever.

Because I hate that man.
With a passion.

It seriously seems like he tries to destroy the fantasy RPG franchise forever.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked