Final Fantasy VII coming to Steam

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It seems that square enix may have leaked out information that they plan on releasing the well loved game onto steam as this picture shows

So what do you all think? Is Square Enix finally giving people what they want, or is it some kind of elaborate hoax. And if it is true are you excited?

original source

Andrewtheeviscerator:
It seems that square enix may have leaked out information that they plan on releasing the well loved game onto steam as this picture shows

So what do you all think? Is Square Enix finally giving people what they want, or is it some kind of elaborate hoax. And if it is true are you excited?

original source

Well, the game isn't currently compatible with anything above Windows XP. Are they going to make it compatible?

Wonder if magic defense will function, or if they'll change the translation and fix the W-Item bug.

At the rumoured price of 8 I'd probably go for it anyway.

ASHSDLGJSDGKJS

*ahem*

...yeah, I'd buy this. If it does come out on Steam and it's going to work on a Windows 7-running laptop, then yeah, I think that's a done deal. I mean, it's not like I don't already own the damn thing on PS1 and PSP anyway. At least it's at a reasonable price.

Actually, as much as I like this game, if Square-Enix go through with this, I do hope they release some of the others. Classics like Final Fantasy IV, V, VI, VIII and especially IX all deserve more love and re-releases (never mind the fact that IV's been re-released about, what, 5? times already).

Crono1973:
Well, the game isn't currently compatible with anything above Windows XP. Are they going to make it compatible?

Its supposed to be an updated version of the game with brand new features so I would imagine that they will make it compatible with new computers

LOL "cloud saves" because the main hero is cloud and he saves at save spots

The "character booster" feature seems a bit cheesy, I know grinding can be boring but you can get past anything with enough potions.

There was a PC version of FF7 released a long time ago (that was the one I played), though I'm sure they'll need to change some things for this release so it'll run properly in the newest versions of Windows.

INB4 FFVII is overrated.

I was sorta confused at first because I remember there already being a PC version of the game. But if what Crono says is true, this could actually be good for those who can't play the game on the PC.

ForgottenPr0digy:
LOL "cloud saves" because the main hero is cloud and he saves at save spots

No, it means it will use steam cloud. I suspect you know that anyway.

teqrevisited:
Wonder if magic defense will function, or if they'll change the translation and fix the W-Item bug.

I wouldn't count on it.

It'll most likely be a rerelease of the old PC version, patched to work on modern systems. Maybe not even that.

I just hope that I would be able to play it on mac too.. Therefore, I wound not be obligated to hunt some 125$ mint condition on the original playstation.

Random Argument Man:
I just hope that I would be able to play it on mac too.. Therefore, I wound not be obligated to hunt some 125$ mint condition on the original playstation.

Or just get it off the PS store for the PSP or the PS3. If you can afford a Mac you can afford a PSP.

Final Fantasy.
Hah, that's funny.

[Input rage here]

Matthew94:

Random Argument Man:

Or just get it off the PS store for the PSP or the PS3. If you can afford a Mac you can afford a PSP.

I didn't really pay it. My dad just gave me one of the old macs from where he worked. If it plays TF2 easily, it can handle FF7.

I'm sorry, I need to go scream in a corner for a little bit.
If this is true, it will be second only to Half Life 3 being announced in terms of awesomeness. And it may even pave the way to more FF games on the PC, if it goes well.
Also, now someone can make a graphics improving mod.

I wonder how they'll handle the music? The old PC version used whatever MIDI capability your computer had, and also gave a software synth option (or maybe the software synth was just something I had installed in my computer?). I'm guessing they'll probably give it an improved version of the software synth since games haven't used general MIDI in a long time, or maybe they'll just render all the songs into regular audio files.

I actually never made it to Sephiroth (the crater at the end is sooooo long and annoying that I gave up) so I don't know if the old PC game managed to use the vocal parts of the Sephiroth theme or if it was just the MIDI.

Random Argument Man:

*clutches onto semi-mint condition FF7 for ps1*

$125 you say. *slaps self* Bad XcrossX, BAD!!!

XcrossX:

Random Argument Man:

haha i'm saying the same thing...although since it was released on psn, it honestly isn't worth that much anymore unless you find someone who is an insane FF fan who "must has".

*hugs copy of semi-mint condition ff7 also*

*edit double post, woops*

XcrossX:

Random Argument Man:

I only have 2/3rds of my FF7 left. Oh disc three, will I ever find you so that I can finally finish the game!

XMark:
I wonder how they'll handle the music? The old PC version used whatever MIDI capability your computer had, and also gave a software synth option (or maybe the software synth was just something I had installed in my computer?). I'm guessing they'll probably give it an improved version of the software synth since games haven't used general MIDI in a long time, or maybe they'll just render all the songs into regular audio files.

I actually never made it to Sephiroth (the crater at the end is sooooo long and annoying that I gave up) so I don't know if the old PC game managed to use the vocal parts of the Sephiroth theme or if it was just the MIDI.

My guess is that, if this is real, they'll work out some way to include the FFVII Music mod. It allows you to choose between several different versions of the sound track, including the original PS1 version and several fan made remixes.

I really hope they get this working properly. I tried to set up a modded version of the PC version recently, but no matter what I do, it crashes on the first or second battle I hit. It seems to be tied to holding down the OK button to auto attack, but with the way the combat system is set up, just not doing that isn't exactly an option.

Maybe a steam or gog release of an optimised version of the original release? My FF7 disk are completely wrecked so I'd like an option to get the a working version of the game again, if this is genuine.

This is great timing. I've never played the original and I've been thinking lately about playing it. Now I don't have to bother with some really old pc version or an emulator or whatever it takes to play this game nowadays.

I was actually intending on getting the ol' PS1 this summer and playing through the old Final Fantasys....now I don't have to!*
If they did this with FF6 - 9 that would be tremendous.

*Well, one of them at least.

JWRosser:
I was actually intending on getting the ol' PS1 this summer and playing through the old Final Fantasys....now I don't have to!*

If you have a Wii you can get FF6 at the Wii market. But, I'm guessing you don't have a Wii.

XcrossX:

JWRosser:

If you have a Wii you can get FF6 at the Wii market. But, I'm guessing you don't have a Wii.

Oh can you?

I have a Wii but I very, very rarely use it apart from the occasional Smash Bros games with friends...
May look in to that though. Thanks.

JWRosser:

XcrossX:

JWRosser:

Oh can you?

I have a Wii but I very, very rarely use it apart from the occasional Smash Bros games with friends...
May look in to that though. Thanks.

No problem. You'll need a classic controller... I think. And it costs 900 points.

I have a copy of Final Fantasy vii Ultimate edition for the PC that works fine on Windows 7, thought the resolution makes it look awful. It's out there and not too difficult to track down.

These days you could also use a PS1 emulator, as most PCs and even laptops could run them with ease. These are also pretty easy to track down and set up.

It would be fantastic if Square brought out so proper versions for the PC though. I would snap them up in a second if they ever did.

PC version was pretty bad as I recall. Unless they change everything about it I still see absolutely no reason not to instead buy it via some other means on another platform.

I have a physical CD-rom for FF7 on the PC...probably can't use it though since I used it on a computer...years-upon-years ago. I don't see why it shouldn't be released on steam though.

I'm still paranoid over the last rendition of FF7 they made for PC (wasn't it Windows 95 or something?) All of the terrible bugs and glitches and unplayables from the extremely poor port still give me nightmares. I remember you couldn't do the battle arena unless the screen was at 1/8th size. And the game froze halfway through the Seph battle on all copies. Don't get me started on the Vincent glitch during the end of CD 1.

Owyn_Merrilin:

XMark:

My guess is that, if this is real, they'll work out some way to include the FFVII Music mod. It allows you to choose between several different versions of the sound track, including the original PS1 version and several fan made remixes.

I really hope they get this working properly. I tried to set up a modded version of the PC version recently, but no matter what I do, it crashes on the first or second battle I hit. It seems to be tied to holding down the OK button to auto attack, but with the way the combat system is set up, just not doing that isn't exactly an option.

I'd just use a PS1 emulator if I were you, it has the proper music, runs better and if you have the disc but not the ps1 you can just pop it in and run from that. Plus y'know you can speed things up when you have to go through talkie bits for the millionth time when you've died to a hard boss.

elvor0:

Owyn_Merrilin:

XMark:

I'd just use a PS1 emulator if I were you, it has the proper music, runs better and if you have the disc but not the ps1 you can just pop it in and run from that. Plus y'know you can speed things up when you have to go through talkie bits for the millionth time when you've died to a hard boss.

I've actually got a physical PS1 copy if I want to do that. I tried the PC version because I wanted the graphical mods. It's pretty awesome to have all the chibi character models replaced with ones with normal proportions.

Ooo, achievements :3

I'll be looking into this for sure. Though I'd have preferred FF8, since 7 is nuts in comparison.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked