Games with intros that make you quit

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Mostly on replays.

I happened on the topic whilst booting up KOTOR II, and as brilliant as I think the rest of the game is, I have to admit that the mining facility drags on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

So what games have you played that did this?

Risen 2. I borrowed it from a friend, popped it in, and instantly got blown away at how BAD the combat mechanics were. Total play time was... 15 minutes-ish.

Elder Scrolls games really get repetitive when you repeat the tutorial for about a hundred times. I like making multiple characters for multiple skill paths and guild quests, and while Skyrim's intro is awesome the first time around, it really bores you after you see it for the fourth time.

Also "Sacred 2 Fallen Angel"'s CGI intro is so hilariously narmy that it really kills my intro in the game as soon as I pop it in.

Seriously, just look at it!

The only game that I must have quit was over the intro was Sly 2: Band of Thieves. Now before you say anything, I LOVE the Sly Cooper series when I was young, however, the used disk that I was given was corrupted and I could not get around the beginning because it kept freezing, thus unplayable. Would have loved to play that, but I no longer have a PS2, perhaps I can get the Sly Cooper collection later on if I have the time and memory to remember it before the darn unwanted PS4 comes out. What I remember is what I believe that Sly breaks into a museum and later gets caught by the police, and that's it.

Dragon Age Origins.

While not necessarily an intro, the fade has made me quit several times. It's just so incredibly boring.

Oh, and the tutorial for Fire Emblem 7.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I could not for the life of me get through Helgen Keep. I had fun for a while, but it was at that point that I decided it's time to pitch the game. Traded it to pay off my reserve for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. So worth it.

Arontala:
Dragon Age Origins.

While not necessarily an intro, the fade has made me quit several times. It's just so incredibly boring.

Oh, and the tutorial for Fire Emblem 7.

PC? There is a skip the fade mod. That and the respec ravens are the essential DA:O mods.

I've almost completely memorised the opening chapters of Dead Space 2 since i've played through it so many times and seen several DS2 LPs so i really can't get through it again. Unless i go for Hardcore again. Fucking suicide explody stickmen... They always get me.

I don't know what it is but blind horror LPs are something I have to go and watch many people play, especially if i've played the game myself. I just want to see their reactions compared to my own i suppose. Plus watching people shit themselves is funny XD

Never gets old...

Dragonage: Origins as well. The way too long opening (the actual class specific bits i like but dat Ostagar (spelling?) is just lonnnnnng.

That and knowing i'll have to go through the fucking Fade again puts me off before I even put the disc back in.

I wish I had the PC version (Read: I wish I had a PC that could run DA:O) so I could download the mod that lets you skip The Fade. I know it must exist somewhere, some faithful modder will have made it within the first month.

As for intros, the "intro" (levels 1-6) to a few League of Legends games have been really off-putting. Like how today me having a 1 to 2 K/D counts as "feeding" (hate that word with a passion) according to our jungle.

Hilariously after telling me to go afk for doing "badly"(i didn't give him the satisfaction btw) he goes and gets a 1/5 K/D compared to my eventual 3/1 and goes suspiciously quiet for the rest of the game. Apparently i'm still "the worst Irelia he's ever seen"

People rage way to hard and way to often in the game. There is no point and it's only going make your team do worse. As an example, I've decided not to save someone in the past because he was being a dick. I had all the time in the world to throw a shield/Up we go! onto him but no, fuck that guy. This is why we can't have nice things.

Pretty much the beginning of every rockstar game ever. The beginning always drags forever and it takes hours to unlock the majority of the map.

octafish:
PC? There is a skip the fade mod. That and the respec ravens are the essential DA:O mods.

hahaha...its so bad they made a mod for it

its funny because I once started as mage and it was like "now your final test is to enter the fade" and I was like

yeah, fuck that shit! and quit right there

Kingdom Hearts 2. Jesus, that intro is boring. Although I liked Roxas and his friends, I didn't play Kingdom Hearts to hear about the end of summer vacation and homework. It picks up near the end when you meet Axel, so at least there's that.

I remember renting Tekken 6, starting a new game and, being forced into a weird sort of beat-em-up with shitty hit detection, combat that didn't show any damage being done to anyone and, no means of choosing my player character. It just through me right into it too, with no apparent way of skipping that thing. So that's why I turned off Tekken 6 before the 5 minute mark and never plan on going back to it.

As for games that I've played before and couldn't get back into because of intros...Final Fantasy 13. I never beat it before but had to start from scratch...but then I got to the junk-yard with Sazh and, Vanille...not. fucking. worth it.

Valkyrie Profile.

From the moment you start a new game, it takes over an hour before you reach the first save point. That hour has maybe 2 minutes of actual gameplay - the rest is entirely unskippable cutscenes and huge dialog boxes.

Witty Name Here:
Elder Scrolls games really get repetitive when you repeat the tutorial for about a hundred times. I like making multiple characters for multiple skill paths and guild quests, and while Skyrim's intro is awesome the first time around, it really bores you after you see it for the fourth time.

Also "Sacred 2 Fallen Angel"'s CGI intro is so hilariously narmy that it really kills my intro in the game as soon as I pop it in.

Seriously, just look at it!

You should have picked the version that has Blind Guardian playing in the background. It's much more epically bad.

Soviet Heavy:

You should have picked the version that has Blind Guardian playing in the background. It's much more epically bad.

Your wish is my command!

The song is somewhat catchy, but just the scenes of the concert and then the intro increase the narm factor by 32%

Captcha: Just dance

Alright, I'm starting to think these captchas are sentient.

Witty Name Here:

Soviet Heavy:

Your wish is my command!

The song is somewhat catchy, but just the scenes of the concert and then the intro increase the narm factor by 32%

Captcha: Just dance

Alright, I'm starting to think these captchas are sentient.

Blind Guardian is awesome. Ever since the Unskippable episode, I've taken a liking to their music. It's metal I can listen to without hearing someone growling out the lyrics.

Fuck peragus, it is one of the worst levels in gaming. OBSIDIAN, LISTEN. GIVE ME GOOD FIRST IMPRESSIONS NOT AN HOUR OF RUNNING AROUND IN A JUMPSUIT FIGHTING MINING ROBOTS >:(
That's put me off repeat playthroughs many, many times.

Also pokemon intros suck. Absolutely terrible.

The only one I can really think of that made me quit on the first playthrough was Uncharted 2. I just hate that series, although I keep renting them in hopes they drag me in..

Games where I quit before finishing the intro again on repeat playthroughs, Persona 4 is the main offender here, I loved the game the first time around, but I quit before 30 minutes on my second playthrough, it's first three hours are just so dull. I did eventually drag myself through it a second time and made a permanent save after unlocking Chie, so problem solved :)

Also Half Life, same thing, that train ride was cool once.. not so cool when you play it as much as I do haha, I've quit before reaching the destination so many times.

Soviet Heavy:

Blind Guardian is awesome. Ever since the Unskippable episode, I've taken a liking to their music. It's metal I can listen to without hearing someone growling out the lyrics.

As a fan of some of the older types of metal, I have to agree.

I love the music style, but not how certain "Death Metal" themes have snuck into the genre and now countless people think metal naturally involves roaring out the lyrics in the most guttural voice you can think of.

Hell, sometimes metal doesn't even involve lyrics, like this awesome song from Metallica.

Apparently one of their band members was a really big H.P. Lovecraft fan, so they decided to write an actual THEME for C'thulhu

I have to say it sort of fits the Eldritch God of Insanity.

Witty Name Here:

Soviet Heavy:

As a fan of some of the older types of metal, I have to agree.

I love the music style, but not how certain "Death Metal" themes have snuck into the genre and now countless people think metal naturally involves roaring out the lyrics in the most guttural voice you can think of.

Hell, sometimes metal doesn't even involve lyrics, like this awesome song from Metallica.

Apparently one of their band members was a really big H.P. Lovecraft fan, so they decided to write an actual THEME for C'thulhu

I have to say it sort of fits the Eldritch God of Insanity.

That's awesome. As for Death Metal, it started to show up in the 80s as metal genres began to expand and focus on more grim subject matter. I think that's why I like Blind Guardian so much. It's part of the Power Metal movement, which was a reaction to the death and depression during the 80s metal. It's much more optimistic and heroic.

KoTOR 2's intro also had me quitting. It took months for me to muster the patience to be able to actually give it an honest go. And I'm glad I followed through. The rest of the game was great.

Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the New World is one game I'm having trouble playing. The main protagonist and the premise are too off-putting. It's incredibly cliché. Though, I might be a little unfair here. I have yet to experience the game's gameplay. Hopefully it's good enough to overcome what promises to be a mediocre story.

I'm probably going to put it off a while longer, however. :P

Soviet Heavy:

That's awesome. As for Death Metal, it started to show up in the 80s as metal genres began to expand and focus on more grim subject matter. I think that's why I like Blind Guardian so much. It's part of the Power Metal movement, which was a reaction to the death and depression during the 80s metal. It's much more optimistic and heroic.

Finally someone who shares my taste in music! (you wont believe how tiring it is to hear friends go on and on about Slip Knot)

Yeah, power metal looks like it'll be my favorite kind of metal. When I listen to metal, I like the really heroic stuff based on old mythology. It sort of seems like a "modern continuation" of the ancient warrior poetry of groups like the Vikings or the Celts... Which was totally awesome!

Although it looks like Power Metal might be making a comeback what with bands like Dragonforce slowly gaining popularity (mostly through Guitar Hero)

Hell I just discovered a band making Power Metal partially inspired by A song of Ice and Fire... Which is admittedly pretty awesome.

The Night's Watch would have no worries over recruits if they advertised themselves with this song! :D

Witty Name Here:

Soviet Heavy:

Finally someone who shares my taste in music! (you wont believe how tiring it is to hear friends go on and on about Slip Knot)

Yeah, power metal looks like it'll be my favorite kind of metal. When I listen to metal, I like the really heroic stuff based on old mythology. It sort of seems like a "modern continuation" of the ancient warrior poetry of groups like the Vikings or the Celts... Which was totally awesome!

Although it looks like Power Metal might be making a comeback what with bands like Dragonforce slowly gaining popularity (mostly through Guitar Hero)

Hell I just discovered a band making Power Metal partially inspired by A song of Ice and Fire... Which is admittedly pretty awesome.

The Night's Watch would have no worries over recruits if they advertised themselves with this song! :D

If Power Metal can turn a terrible CGI cinematic into an awesomely cheesy action scene, it can recruit a bunch of murderers and thieves to fight snow zombies.

*pops in to mention the Sacred intro with Blind Guardian playing is better*
*ninja'd*
Shit.
Blind Guardian is awesome.

Also Soviet Heavy, I could probably show you some more bands similar to Blind Guardian.
Plenty to choose from for those not fond of harsh vocals.

piinyouri:
*pops in to mention the Sacred intro with Blind Guardian playing is better*
*ninja'd*
Shit.
Blind Guardian is awesome.

Also Soviet Heavy, I could probably show you some more bands similar to Blind Guardian.
Plenty to choose from for those not fond of harsh vocals.

I'll take you up on that. To keep this from derailing, just pm me your suggestions.

Soviet Heavy:

If Power Metal can turn a terrible CGI cinematic into an awesomely cheesy action scene, it can recruit a bunch of murderers and thieves to fight snow zombies.

Why haven't I added you to my friends list yet?!?!?!

Thank you for fully introducing me into the awesomeness that is power metal.

Rock on you crazy star you!

The Wykydtron:

I've seen that countless times, and the way the guy says "Oh shit, I have a bag of milky ways!" and then starts tearing open the bag right before the dude starts freaking out just never gets old.

OT: The two KotOR games. I love them, but goddamn are the intro levels long and boring.

A lot of the JRPG's I've played tend to be poorly paced at the beginning, too. At least for my liking... Kingdom Hearts, Persona, Final Fantasy... the games I've played from the Tales series do a pretty good job, and I suppose being a DS game gives The World Ends With You a bit of an advantage because it's not really designed to be an 80-hour long game (I think. I haven't finished it yet). Though none of them have really made me stop playing.

I think KoTOR 1&2 are the only ones that have really made me just go "Oh right, the beginning sucks." and then turn it off. At least, it's all I can think of right now.

lithiumvocals:
Kingdom Hearts 2. Jesus, that intro is boring. Although I liked Roxas and his friends, I didn't play Kingdom Hearts to hear about the end of summer vacation and homework. It picks up near the end when you meet Axel, so at least there's that.

As much as I love the game, I'll also have to say Kingdom Hearts II. I usually play past that point once and then before the second battle with Axel happens I save so I don't have to replay that beginning part. It's even worse when you have to do all those jobs.

Witty Name Here:

Soviet Heavy:

Well, here's another one for you.

It's not exactly a power metal song, but it is by Blind Guardian. They have fantastic variety.

I've got a friend who was really really put off by the long walking intro to Batman Arkham Asylum as you return The Joker to the asylum and refused to play the game for a long time.

He eventually got bored enough to give the game a second chance and admitted that it was a good game.

A game intro has never made me want to quit before...

Though, the whole starting bit of Pokemon is boring if you've already done it a a few times before.

-Wake up
-Meet professor
-Choose starter
-Battle rival
-Leave town
-Come back
-Get running shoes
-Leave for good

Arontala:
Dragon Age Origins.

Very much this. I dread having to go in there. Longest, most boring mission.

Saladfork:
Mostly on replays.

I happened on the topic whilst booting up KOTOR II, and as brilliant as I think the rest of the game is, I have to admit that the mining facility drags on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

So what games have you played that did this?

I actually started a thread about this exact topic a few days ago. Specifically about Pokemon.

Pokemon Platinum to be exact. I had the emulator running on fast-forward, and the dialogue was so copious that the intro still took 20min.

I was finally free... i fought one Bidoof and then i was back with the professor and Dawn. Then, Dawn decided to start giving me a full tour of the town, building-by-building.

Needless to say i shut the game off that instant.

No... I don't want to do the Deus Ex intro again... the Statue of Liberty suuuuucks.

I have never played past that in Deus Ex. It made me dislike that game.

Fuck that Half-Life tram intro. Fuck it sooo hard. I was playing through the game back in the day, and I accidentally deleted my save file. So I had to play through that opening again, only I refused to play it for a long while because I didn't want to have to deal with that opening.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked