Games with intros that make you quit

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Final Fantasy VIII... although it is good at times, running around Balamb Garden just gets boring and repetative, and that part of the game is far too linear! I suppose the first time playing it you don't notice because you are too busy trying to understand the slightly complicated junction system (well, it was when I was 13) but now it just fills me with dread, and I often put it off until a day I am feeling a lot more patient...

Also, Half-Life and Half-Life 2... All that running around the labs in Half Life, and they don't even teach you all the core mechanics... why not have a crouch session, and a jump session to teach the basics there...? No, they wait until after the intro! :/

MGS4. I playing it through 3 times, the third time was a serious run, all stealth, no kills, no alerts, so I could get all the awesome items. By the time I'd finished that I was already a little bit jaded, but then I go to play through again with my awesome stuff, and they take it away for the first chapter. That was enough for me to just load the last save, fire the Tanegashima once, and call it a day.

I'm rarely annoyed by intros the first time I play a game. Ironically (or is it coincidentally?) it's the games that I love (and therefore play multiple times) where the intros start to annoy me, particularly if they are long. Mass Effect 1 & 2, Skyrim (and oblivion a while back), and many more...

irishda:
Fuck that Half-Life tram intro. Fuck it sooo hard. I was playing through the game back in the day, and I accidentally deleted my save file. So I had to play through that opening again, only I refused to play it for a long while because I didn't want to have to deal with that opening.

It's a genius opening in it's own way, and the way Blue Shift uses it for a few crossovers is amazing. I think it's one of the best intros ever, but I agree on the fact that after the second-> time or when you don't care about the story and the world, but just the gameplay, it does get extremelly tedious and annoying.

Assasins creed II..
It takes a ridiculous amount of time just to get enough upgrades that makes you feel like a legit assassin. I simply cant understand why you just cant jump back and forth, from you current progess, in your memorycodex to different assassination attemps just to play around and experiment how stealthy you can do it, instead of starting over ..
I dont know but i feel like either i missed something or its just a missed opportunity..

the latest example for me is, if you count a op for a game, mana khemia

nothing kills my interest in a game more than a emo looking guy screaming to a Japanese song.

half life, TRAM, it was cool the first times but ughhhh..

virtually any game with a enforced tutorial, aka look over here, click to shoot it, select attack to attack, You can jump over things with the jump button! ughhhhhhh that grinds my gears.

both KOTORs. I just hated Taris /Peragus. so dull and uninvolving

Elementary - Dear Watson:
Final Fantasy VIII... although it is good at times, running around Balamb Garden just gets boring and repetative, and that part of the game is far too linear! I suppose the first time playing it you don't notice because you are too busy trying to understand the slightly complicated junction system (well, it was when I was 13) but now it just fills me with dread, and I often put it off until a day I am feeling a lot more patient...

Also, Half-Life and Half-Life 2... All that running around the labs in Half Life, and they don't even teach you all the core mechanics... why not have a crouch session, and a jump session to teach the basics there...? No, they wait until after the intro! :/

The game assumes you took a look at the tutorial level when you select new game. Did you not see it your first time playing? I liked Half Life's 2 intro as you at least had a possibility of dying and it was really good with immersion. I fail to see the point of complaining much about either of two games in terms of bad intros since you can skip the levels. Well...You can't in the original Half Life but you can in Source at least.

OT: Much as I love Persona 3 and 4. I hate the intros. 3 suffers from throwing too much exposition at you so it takes about three hours before you're granted freedom to do whatever. 4 tries to make it interesting by throwing in a really long intro sequence to get the player invested. However on your second playthrough this really feels like a drag.

Obvious answers: Several Zelda games (especially TP) and Oblivion.

Pokemon games are also a pretty big culprit. Come to think of it JRPGs in general seem to have this problem, although I can't really think of any JRPG that I've played through more than once apart from Pokemon. I guess that shows how bad they are, they make me want to quit first time out!

ServebotFrank:
The game assumes you took a look at the tutorial level when you select new game. Did you not see it your first time playing? I liked Half Life's 2 intro as you at least had a possibility of dying and it was really good with immersion. I fail to see the point of complaining much about either of two games in terms of bad intros since you can skip the levels. Well...You can't in the original Half Life but you can in Source at least.

I had the PS version of HL, but can't remember a tutorial level... I do remember that after 'the event' the popups appeared with how to duck and jump... not that I hadn't already made Gordon jump and crouch everywhere already... part from boredom and part from laughing at the funny things that the other scientists say when you excitedly rush around, jumping like a kid with ADHD! :P

I agree... 2 was a lot better... and you had things like putting the rubbish in the bin that was original. Also there was a lot more suspence and atmoshere, but the train rides are still rubbish...! :/

Scrustle:
Obvious answers: Several Zelda games (especially TP) and Oblivion.

Pokemon games are also a pretty big culprit. Come to think of it JRPGs in general seem to have this problem, although I can't really think of any JRPG that I've played through more than once apart from Pokemon. I guess that shows how bad they are, they make me want to quit first time out!

I agree about the JRPG front... but too be honest they are big long linear games anyway, usually, so replayability isn't really a factor in a JRPG... doesn't neccesarily mean they are bad, it's just not part of the genre!

The only one I can think of that I have played that goes against that is FFX-2, which was a lot shorter than most JRPG's, but due to the expansive new game+ that allowed further customisation, and the fact that without a guide you would always miss something (% complete on each chapter helps with this) so there is a lot more emphasis on replay.

But I agree though... starting something like Golden Sun, or Dragon Quest again, after completion, always bores me... the thought of having to do the micky mouse quests at the start, where battles are just selecting attack over and over, to baddies that are boring and numerous, without all the cool interesting characters that come later, always turns me off!

Witty Name Here:
Elder Scrolls games really get repetitive when you repeat the tutorial for about a hundred times. I like making multiple characters for multiple skill paths and guild quests, and while Skyrim's intro is awesome the first time around, it really bores you after you see it for the fourth time.

Also "Sacred 2 Fallen Angel"'s CGI intro is so hilariously narmy that it really kills my intro in the game as soon as I pop it in.

Seriously, just look at it!

That was the cool thing about the older games. You could have a save right before the end of the tutorial. In Skyrim, you can't. /cry :'(

Alright, let's just run off my growing list of "Games that can kiss my ass because of terrible intros":

Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XIII
KotOR 2
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Fire Emblem 7
Tales of Symphonia
The Legend of Zelda- Skyward Sword (I love this series, I hate this game)
Metroid Other M
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Eternal Sonata
Golden Sun Dark Dawn

And those are just off the top of my head. I have a very low tolerance for insufferable intros. If a game isn't going to respect my time, then I'm not going to bother playing it.

WoW racials starting zone and beyond. There was a time where I made so many ALT of every frickin' races that I knew every quests lvl 1 to 40ish. It made me quit when I didn't want to continue my main and didn't have the motivation to go through the same quests again with an other alt.

They changed them in Cataclysm but it was too late for me.

ive only ever quit two games...enchanted arms and it wasnt due to the intro it was a real hatred towards some of the characters and i also hated the fights in it and some top down zombie shooter that i cant even remember the name of that i didnt like the gameplay in it. i also hate the eragon game with a passion i bought it beat it in an hour and took it back and traded it for something better but its still on my hate list

Yeah, I'm going to jump on the Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords. Peragus was dull the first time and even Telos is rally boring after a couple playthroughs. Good thing you can skip them with mods.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Gawd, I hate that dungeon so much.

Skyrim's tutorial has Alduin and an awesome battle. Morrowind's is over in a flash, and lets you figure the rest out yourself, and Oblivion's has Patrick Stewart and...rats... and cultists with bound armour and weapons that mock you as you die (due aforementioned bound items disappearing).

lithiumvocals:
Kingdom Hearts 2. Jesus, that intro is boring. Although I liked Roxas and his friends, I didn't play Kingdom Hearts to hear about the end of summer vacation and homework. It picks up near the end when you meet Axel, so at least there's that.

I hadn't played kingdom hearts in years so recently I popped in kingdom hearts 2 and I timed it the intro is over 3 hours long took me 4 days to play those three hours though afterwards it was a lot of fun.

OT: fallout 3, the moment I leave the vault I have lost all interest.

Assassin's Creed II: I know Ezio is supposed to be less of a jerk later, but I just hate him too much to lead him to any form of success!

Edit: As for replays, FFXIII: I don't even remember when the intro ended, it just seemed to drag on forever.

lithiumvocals:
Kingdom Hearts 2. Jesus, that intro is boring. Although I liked Roxas and his friends, I didn't play Kingdom Hearts to hear about the end of summer vacation and homework. It picks up near the end when you meet Axel, so at least there's that.

You win. That intro was god awful boring, and long... extremely long.

If I had died one more time on the first real level of Human Revolution the game would have been sent back to the shop and traded for Skyrim money. I did eventually send it back for Skyrim money, but only after wading through about 10-15 hours of gameplay.

Vanitas likes Bubbles:

lithiumvocals:

As much as I love the game, I'll also have to say Kingdom Hearts II. I usually play past that point once and then before the second battle with Axel happens I save so I don't have to replay that beginning part. It's even worse when you have to do all those jobs.

I love KH2 also but the whole Roxas section could have been tighter, I understand why it was there, but they could have edited a lot out of it and missed nothing.

If you can't skip a cut scene I get annoyed with the game. Especially on replays.

Oh god this happens all the time with me, even with some of my favorite games.
Ocarina of Time's intro/tutorial I find very long and drawn out.
Falllout 3 and NV both have very long, boring intros/tutorials.
Any Pokemon game. IMO Pokemon games have by far the worst intros because anyone who has played a Pokemon game knows all the information they're going to spend half an hour telling you, and there's no option to skip it!

I know it's there only to hide a loading screen, but if I have to hear that old guy from the intro cinematic of Civ 5 one more time...

SomeLameStuff:
Risen 2. I borrowed it from a friend, popped it in, and instantly got blown away at how BAD the combat mechanics were. Total play time was... 15 minutes-ish.

You missed out, big time. The game goes from total shit to average to pretty amazing by the end. "Combat mechanics" is the catch-phrase used by those who can't appreciate a good story and characters. Stick to Crysis.

Kotor 1 Taris. Just... ugh.

Also, while not an intro, Dragon Age Origins. The Deep Roads. 15 bear-fucking hours of going through caves, killing Darkspawn.

Underpowered:
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Gawd, I hate that dungeon so much.

Skyrim's tutorial has Alduin and an awesome battle. Morrowind's is over in a flash, and lets you figure the rest out yourself, and Oblivion's has Patrick Stewart and...rats... and cultists with bound armour and weapons that mock you as you die (due aforementioned bound items disappearing).

Yeah. With Oblivion I always keep a save that's right at the end of the sewers, so I don't need to play through it again. And again. And again. And... well you get the idea.

Ghoti:
Alright, let's just run off my growing list of "Games that can kiss my ass because of terrible intros":

Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XIII
KotOR 2
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Fire Emblem 7
Tales of Symphonia
The Legend of Zelda- Skyward Sword (I love this series, I hate this game)
Metroid Other M
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Eternal Sonata
Golden Sun Dark Dawn

I agree with you on pretty much all of those that I've played except for Symphonia. Maybe because it was my first Tales game, but I actually felt overwhelmed when I was thrust into combat relatively quickly. I would mention the original Shadow Hearts, but that game is just slow in general.

Idocreating:
I know it's there only to hide a loading screen, but if I have to hear that old guy from the intro cinematic of Civ 5 one more time...

Good news! They did recently patch in an option to disable the intro cinematic and just have a loading screen.

Arontala:
Dragon Age Origins.

While not necessarily an intro, the fade has made me quit several times. It's just so incredibly boring.

Oh, and the tutorial for Fire Emblem 7.

Oh man, the Fade! What were they thinking? That was awful, and to put stat increases in there that can be permanently missed if you don't explore was just mean.

The first part in the Citadel in the first Mass Effect made me quit like 4 times before I actually powered through it to get to the good part of the game.

ExiusXavarus:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I could not for the life of me get through Helgen Keep.

It's mostly the slow carriage ride for me. That save file the game gives you right before character creation, SO glad that exists. Beyond that, great game.

I mostly just don't like long intros. Mass Effect is a bad offender of long, annoying and boring intros, despite being a great series.

MeChaNiZ3D:
MGS4. I playing it through 3 times, the third time was a serious run, all stealth, no kills, no alerts, so I could get all the awesome items. By the time I'd finished that I was already a little bit jaded, but then I go to play through again with my awesome stuff, and they take it away for the first chapter. That was enough for me to just load the last save, fire the Tanegashima once, and call it a day.

Ah hell, I was hoping we could get through the thread without an MGS cutscene comment. Alas. :P

Er, anyway. I have never had an intro kill the game for me, because I'm fine with sitting through in-game movies, but I'll have to agree with whoever said Pokemon, because seriously, anyone over the age of 10 has learned how to play a Pokemon game by this point. Besides, the tutorial doesn't even teach you the actually confusing bits, like breeding and personality traits and weird crap they introduced in the later games. Anything that makes me follow someone around like a robot instead of *doing* the mechanics to learn them, is dull. You should also be able to skip the tutorial in *any* game.

Saladfork:
Mostly on replays.

I happened on the topic whilst booting up KOTOR II, and as brilliant as I think the rest of the game is, I have to admit that the mining facility drags on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

So what games have you played that did this?

To my delight, I discovered that there is a mod which lets you skip the entire intro level on the mining facility. One of the best mods I've ever found =D

Is anyone else noticing a trend here? These are some of the best videogames ever made. The complaints you have are mostly from playing the same story based game over and over. Developers cannot erase your memory. If riding a tram in halflife or playing the beginning of ff7 annoys you maybe you don't appreciate games as much as you should. Gamers show so little graditude for the truly great games that are released. If you are bored of the intros of these kind of games maybe you should try going outside.

Fallout: New Vegas and TES: Skyrim. The more different characters I made, the more it felt like I was scratching with a cheese grater.

Skyrim's intro was less tedious than F:NV. Start with a relaxing carriage ride through the country side, ending in a nice village. Then You get to introduce yourself to one of the leaders of the village guards, and then it is off to get quote, "A viking crewcut". But before you get your new do, in pops a dragon, causing you to flee through the towns buildings making sure everyone got out, and then down through the keeps basement to safety, making a new friend along the way.

Where as in F:NV, at least the way I played through, you wake up after getting your brain massaged by a bullet from a golden gun-which is bullshit because everyone knows when you plate your gun in gold it is immediately a one shot kill-. Then you get over your amnesia, go into town to meet one of the doc's friends, evidently people in the future give guns to those suffering major brain damage. You and the doc's friend go to clear out a few pest, afterwards you go back to town to say hi to someone and meet a real prick along the way. Turns out that prick and his prick friends want to kill someone in town, and you can either help that someone or kill him. If you help him, you have to go rallying support from the villagers to fight off the group of pricks. If not, you can kill him and be done with it. And obviously by this you can tell that I always took the goodie goodie option.

So yeah, overly long intros that equal cheese grater level irritation.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked