36.6% (53)
36.6% (53)
Should have been a booth release at E3
10.3% (15)
10.3% (15)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: 3DS XL? I have fury!

Pages PREV 1 2

I see alot of people bitching about no 2nd analog stick.
Why the hell do the DS need the first analog stick in the first place?

The 3DS is not the PS Vita and the PS Vita is not the 3DS.

Also it baffles me how the 3DS is trouncing the Vita when the Vita has the Better Library.
My only conclusion is the back log library for the DS is better than the PSP.

Any ways I got gorilla hands (my hands are huge) and I think the DSi XL was too big.
A 3DS XL is going to be like carrying around a netbook laptop.

Matthew94:

ResonanceSD:
I. Just. Bought. A Fucking. 3DS. FUCKING HELL NINTENDO. -_- I just got appled.

To make you feel better. It will likely have the same resolution so all of the games will just be stretched out.

Exactly, the problem with the larger systems is that they have bigger screens but the games themselves are set to run at the much lower resolution of the regular sized ones.

Frankly the biggest problem I see with the 3DS right now is that there's really not much to play on it other than the first party titles. I just finished the OOT re-release and enjoyed every second of it; even playing with the 3D turned off (which is how I played a fair chunk of the game) it still looked spectacular. I mean lets be honest, the DS needed a hardware upgrade and at the very least the 3DS provides that to put it on par with PSP graphics. When it comes to the 3D I don't really see where it pops off the screen. It certainly added a rather cool level of depth to the picture I was looking at, but that was it.

I'd be happy though if the only things of worth that come out for it are updated N64 games, I just love that I've been able to take OOT on the road with me this past week and a half.

darksakul:

Why the hell do the DS need the first analog stick in the first place?

Also it baffles me how the 3DS is trouncing the Vita when the Vita has the Better Library.
My only conclusion is the back log library for the DS is better than the PSP.

At the moment the analog stick is there to accommodate the N64 games they've updated and ported to the system. The backlog of DS titles is indeed most likely the reason why the 3DS is out selling the Vita. Since it's still compatible with DS games I'm sure most people see it as an upgrade like the DS was when it replaced the GBA and had the ability to still play GBA games. It makes the transition between compatibility generations easier so that instead of jumping between the old system and new one they're both neatly packed in the new one. It gives people the choice of either trading in their old one to put towards the purchase of a new one or keeping their old system and simply consolidating their gameplay to the new system.

I hope this coincides with the announcement that 3D movie content will be available for the system. It's one of the few ways this would seem to make sense.

(Yes, I'm aware of the "stetching" thing; people still prefer to watch movies on bigger screens, often even if that size comes at some cost to fidelity.)

I actually like this new 3DS. Nintendo is doing what Apple should do; make things smaller and more portable for people who want something like that then make it bigger for people who have big hands or a liking to big screens etc.

If it sells, whatever, if it flops then it proves people with big hands don't like video games./sarcasm

...Why does everything have to be underhanded tactics? Why can't they just release a 3DS with a bigger screen and if people want to buy it they can, and if you don't then you can just keep your regular one? Is it really that hard?

Qitz:

It's pretty damn massive compared to the original. I doubt I'll be upgrading because I find my current version to be perfect and yeah, I'm surprised there's no second analog stick.

Dear Goo, that thing is bulky! Isn't the original already kind of bulky? Geez.

since its just a bigger version of the 3DS, meh

i liked my DS XL when i had it, so I'd probably consider it if i have any extra money for it
(the bigger screens make a HUGE difference)

ExiusXavarus:

CODE-D:
Hmmm what to do. Ive been biding my time before purchase for a moment such as this(and let games buildup)

Do I buy a purple regular 3ds

or

buy a cool looking bigger xl with some better specs(as I did like the last xls)

hmmmm....waht to do.... what to do....

Buy the purple one! I woulda bought the purple one if I didn't already have my Zelda one. :x

I think I will and pick up an xl down the road, after all they arent going to be released until august and then ill wait to get a cheap one on ebay.
Plus that purple reminds me too much of the gamecube.
The colors before it didnt wow me though
the "aqua" is too green
and red was too menstrual
and of course the black was boring.

Where's the: "It's completely expected and I don't care about handhelds." option?

Zeckt:
No second analog stick. No second analog stick. No second analog stick. Oh no I'm not done! again! No second analog stick! no second analog stick! AGAIN! no second analog stick!! no second analog stick!!!

NO SECOND ANALOG STICK!?!?!!??!

10 points to anyone who recognizes my reference at least.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping they would remove the need for a circle pad pro and thus improve on the controls for some games. This is something a lot would like to see.

OT: I think that this is a good move for Nintendo. People will buy the new system they will make a lot of cash.

Snotnarok:
Its hardly a rookie mistake, they've done this with EVERY gameboy and DS version. They slap some minor improvement onto the handheld and get as many as possible to buy the system.

My problem is I know people who wanted the 3DS at launch and were set on getting it despite no good games at all being announced for it for a long time. I told them to hold out for the next 3DS model (because I knew the damn thing was on its way) and they refused said it'd be awesome. Now months later 2 games later, the new 3DS is coming out and they're going to get that. Waste of freaking money.

And there we have you. The person informing us that people actually buy a second system because there has been some small improvements to the system they already own. I wasn't sure if those actually did exist. Seems like they do...

Cheap marketing ploy.. but totally expected and pure Nintendo. It's what they do with their portable hardware, and it's they've been doing it since the original GameBoy. First they release the original unit, then release it in colours, then release it with a new screen, then release it with a different form factor, etc.

It's basucally no different than what Apple does. Honestly, if you purchased a piece of portable hardware from Nintendo but didn't expect them to turn around and release a new version in short order, you were being quite naive.

Wait aren'T they suppose to want to make it smaller? YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG NINTENDO !

OT: Also where are my JRPGs for the 3DS .

I don't know about you guys, but I will definatly consider getting this.

CODE-D:

ExiusXavarus:

CODE-D:
Hmmm what to do. Ive been biding my time before purchase for a moment such as this(and let games buildup)

Do I buy a purple regular 3ds

or

buy a cool looking bigger xl with some better specs(as I did like the last xls)

hmmmm....waht to do.... what to do....

Buy the purple one! I woulda bought the purple one if I didn't already have my Zelda one. :x

I think I will and pick up an xl down the road, after all they arent going to be released until august and then ill wait to get a cheap one on ebay.
Plus that purple reminds me too much of the gamecube.
The colors before it didnt wow me though
the "aqua" is too green
and red was too menstrual
and of course the black was boring.

I just really liked the shade of purple they used. :x Also Gamecube is awesome. :o

krazykidd:
Wait aren'T they suppose to want to make it smaller? YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG NINTENDO !

OT: Also where are my JRPGs for the 3DS .

Tales of the Abyss says HeyHey! :[]

I don't have a 3DS but I sure do want one. No I do not want some huge version of it, sure if it were smaller yes but other than that I'm fine. Don't see why everyone is so butthurt about it

I am pretty pissed for three reasons:

1) Miyamoto lied less than two weeks ago. Anyone who bought a 3DS after believing their wouldn't be a revision soon should be angry. I am angry for those people. Miyamoto lost some of my respect.
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/12/miyamoto-says-nintendo-is-working-on-3ds-successor-and-not-a-3ds-revision/

2) I would like to see improved battery life on my 3DS.

3) It doesn't come with an AC adapter. Nintendo says it's to keep the cost down but you'll have to buy one anyway which raises the cost by $20. This will only cause confusion. If you don't have a DSi, DSiXL or 3DS then you won't have a power cord. If you trade in your old DSi, DSiXL or 3DS (with the cord) then you will be left without a cord. How many kids are going to get a 3DS XL for Christmas with no way to charge it? I really think Nintendo has lost it.

ETA: I guess it's only the Japanese 3DS XL that won't come with an AC Adapter. Still, that's pretty crappy that the Japanese customers would put up with that.

Yopaz:

Snotnarok:
Its hardly a rookie mistake, they've done this with EVERY gameboy and DS version. They slap some minor improvement onto the handheld and get as many as possible to buy the system.

My problem is I know people who wanted the 3DS at launch and were set on getting it despite no good games at all being announced for it for a long time. I told them to hold out for the next 3DS model (because I knew the damn thing was on its way) and they refused said it'd be awesome. Now months later 2 games later, the new 3DS is coming out and they're going to get that. Waste of freaking money.

And there we have you. The person informing us that people actually buy a second system because there has been some small improvements to the system they already own. I wasn't sure if those actually did exist. Seems like they do...

Uhhh, I think you misread me there. I said to not buy the first because the second iteration is typically the best. GBPocket, GBA:SP, DSLite etc.

Hooooly SHIT. The regular 3DS is already a pocket-stretcher. This 3DSXL is WAAAAAAAAAY too big.

Plus, as has been said, same resolution. That means stretched, pixelated (more so) games. The pixels in 3DS games are already fairly glaring.

Torrasque:
I'm genuinely surprised that you are surprised by this at all.
Nintendo has kind of always done this, so even when I bought my 3DS on the first day it was released, I thought to myself "do I wanna wait for the 2.0? Nah, I'm content with this".

Gameboy > Gameboy Colour > Awesome Pikachu version
GBA > GBA with backlight
DS > DSXL > DSi
3DS > 3DSXL > 3DSi ?

I am surprised that there is no second analog stick because I remember getting the email from Nintendo saying "Because you are such an awesome person to buy the 3DS on the first day, we're going to give you all these free GBA and Nintendo games. We're also going to give you a free attachment for your 3DS that gives you a second analog stick. Thanks again for buying a 3DS so early!"

Zeckt:
No second analog stick. No second analog stick. No second analog stick. Oh no I'm not done! again! No second analog stick! no second analog stick! AGAIN! no second analog stick!! no second analog stick!!!

I actually have no idea, but I'm gonna guess AVGN

Not only are you right about it being unsurprising, but you actually missed out on a couple of hardware revisions.

Leaving out any variations that were purely cosmetic[1], It was:

Gameboy>Gameboy Pocket>Gameboy Light[2]>Gameboy Color

Gameboy Advance>Gameboy Advance SP>Gameboy Advance SP2[3]>Gameboy Micro

DS>DS Lite>DSi>DSi XL

And apparently so far its 3DS>3DS XL.

I fully expect at least one more hardware revision in the 3DS line, probably two.

Captcha: name drop

Appropriate, since most of this post was effectively a name drop of various Nintendo handhelds.

[1] Like the colored GB classics, which I think were called "Gameboy Live" or something similar
[2] This one was a Japanese exclusive. Just a Gameboy Pocket with a front light.
[3] This one was an SP with a real backlight. The original had a front light.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Torrasque:
Nintendo has kind of always done this, so even when I bought my 3DS on the first day it was released, I thought to myself "do I wanna wait for the 2.0? Nah, I'm content with this".

GBA > GBA with backlight
DS > DSXL > DSi
3DS > 3DSXL > 3DSi ?

I am surprised that there is no second analog stick because I remember getting the email from Nintendo saying "Because you are such an awesome person to buy the 3DS on the first day, we're going to give you all these free GBA and Nintendo games. We're also going to give you a free attachment for your 3DS that gives you a second analog stick. Thanks again for buying a 3DS so early!"

Zeckt:

Not only are you right about it being unsurprising, but you actually missed out on a couple of hardware revisions.

Leaving out any variations that were purely cosmetic[1], It was:

Gameboy>Gameboy Pocket>Gameboy Light[2]>Gameboy Color

Gameboy Advance>Gameboy Advance SP>Gameboy Advance SP2[3]>Gameboy Micro

DS>DS Lite>DSi>DSi XL

I fully expect at least one more hardware revision in the 3DS line, probably two.

Appropriate, since most of this post was effectively a name drop of various Nintendo handhelds.

Yep, and you didn't even include when they relaunched the same versions of existing portable hardware but in new previously unavailable colours. Heck, they still do that and still try to pass it off as a big deal.

[1] Like the colored GB classics, which I think were called "Gameboy Live" or something similar
[2] This one was a Japanese exclusive. Just a Gameboy Pocket with a front light.
[3] This one was an SP with a real backlight. The original had a front light.

I haven't bought a Nintendo Handheld since the original DS, so this has no real impact on me.

However, the mental image of the meeting where they come up with these amuses me.

"So, as we know, our last DS continues to print money, but we need something fresh, something new! Ideas?"
"Well, you know our current model?"
"Yes?"
"Well, we take that... and we make it bigger!"
"You suggested that with our last one, too."
"Exactly."
"...Genius."

Owyn_Merrilin:

Torrasque:

GBA > GBA with backlight
DS > DSXL > DSi
3DS > 3DSXL > 3DSi ?

Zeckt:

Leaving out any variations that were purely cosmetic, It was:

Gameboy>Gameboy Pocket>Gameboy Light>Gameboy Color

Gameboy Advance>Gameboy Advance SP>Gameboy Advance SP2>Gameboy Micro

DS>DS Lite>DSi>DSi XL

Lol, I know (or would that be knew?) that I left some out, I was just kind of lazy when I made that post. I knew someone would eventually put the work into making the post that had all of the different versions. It wouldn't surprise me if even you missed some.

In the past, I have tried to skip the v1.0 and waited for the v2.0 which is usually better. I played my aunt's Gameboy and bought myself a Gameboy Colour when I bought Pokemon Gold and I waited until the DS Lite came out and got Diamond with Mario Kart. Only with the GBA and the 3DS have I gotten the v1.0 as soon as possible. With the GBA, it was because there were SOOOOO many amazing games to play as well as the fact that it was much more comfortable than the stupid SP or even the SP2. I even had a plastic attachment that the GBA fit into that made it feel like a PS2's controller (but a bit bulkier). I'll be interested in what the 3DS XL looks like, but I won't buy one unless there are huge incentives like the "hey, wanna trade in your old handheld for $$$ and get a new shiney one?" that they do whenever they do this.

Kid Icarus Uprising was already really painful and uncomfortable to play, because you had to constantly support the entire weight of the 3ds in your left hand.

With a significantly larger, heavier 3ds XL, it will become literally impossible to play.

Urgh. Some people on here, seriously.

It is NOT. I repeat NOT. Meant to be a better model of the 3DS. It isn't meant to be improved in any possible way.

You have a 3DS? You don't need to get this, there is next to no advantages other than a half an hour longer battery.

It is for people who would simply prefer a larger screen, such as those with bad eyesight.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY THIS. YOU ARE NOT MISSING OUT ON ANYTHING AT ALL.

It costs 52 more the UK than in the US and you don't get an adaptor (which you get in the US edition) Nintendo fuck you seriously.

.. no second analogue stick.

I get that not many games require it NOW .. I get that. But just like microsoft selling consoles without HDD's... it is stupid.

And it will make sure fewer game makers will make 3DS games with dual stick support. Meaning a self fulfilling prophecy "see it wasn't needed"

Nintendo you are crazy..
The Wii U has.. two sticks
So you can get it. You can understand it you can do it..

I can see the commercials now:

3DS XL!

You may as well carry a Wii in your pocket.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked