Features in Prequels that you miss in Sequels

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I recently found a copy of Madden 12 for $20 snapped it up and went home happily anticipating completing a 70 yard Hail Mary touchdown for The Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Duly started up Franchise Mode completed my first few games and then I noticed something... my favourite feature from 10 and 11 was gone.

The Extra Point (TEP) was gone.

For those unfamiliar with TEP, it was essentially a TV style presentation of games just played in the round including stats and a preview of upcoming games. All packed with stats in manageable bites.

For me, TEP was providing me with a connection between one game and the next. The season didn't feel like a series of Exhibition Matches and TEPs hyping up of the Super Bowl for each virtual season never failed to keep me connected with the season in Madden 10 and 11.

With TEP gone in Madden 12 I just feel this great disconnect between my team and what is going on from one game to the next. Its just feels like I decided to sim a season by playing exhibition matches.

So my fellow escapists... have you ever played a sequel to a game that had that little something you loved missing from earlier iterations?

on a side note:

Bodybuilding from San Andreas. I really enjoyed that aspect of it.

Dynasty Warriors 6 and 7 just didn't feel the same without it.

The 'pin the virus on the random guard' thing in Prototype 1. It was fairly useless and they used a biobomb thing instead, but damn it, I loved that feature. It was hilarious.

inb4 No AH in D2...

For me, I was recently playing through the half life games. I miss a lot of the cool guns HL1 had that didn't stick around. The chargable gauss gun, and its ammo partner flame thrower thingy. The bee gun (seriouslly, who doesn't want to shoot homing bees at people) and the alien squib grenade thing. I love HL2, but weapon variety was lacking in it. Most fun one it had was the ant lion pheremone, and that was only useful for 1 chapter. OK, the gravity gun was also bad ass.

The removal of Zasalamel in Soul Caliber. They had a NON-STEREOTYPICAL BLACK GUY WITH A SCYTHE and they removed him. What were they thinking? What could have possibly being going through their heads to go "uh, yea lets replace him and throw in 2 more annoying versions of Sophitia. kids will fucking be all over the submissive girl and creepy brother relationship they have going on". I love Soul Caliber 5....but.....why.......

Also the removal of the bottom screen map/apps in Pokemon Pearl/Diamond. Now when chasing legendaries instead of looking at the bottom screen, you have to take an extra 10 seconds to fumble through the menus and open up the map. And in Black/White the bottom screen might as well not even be there.

The removal of LAN in most games is a big issue for me. That seems to be a cool trend in multiplayer sequels.

What does that seed for Minecraft do? I'm too scared to use it.

The open world layout from No More Heroes. Yeah, the bike handled like crap, but so what? It was still usable and that wasn't the point of the game anyway, nor was it a failing with the open world structure itself. But I really enjoyed being able to go site seeing around Santa Destroy. The sequel just doesn't feel the same without it.

No acrobatics in skyrim.

raage.

The removal of the campaign mode from Soul Calibur 2 in all the future Soul Calibur games (Though I didn't get to try 3's campaign mode).

The style and aesthetic of the older Unreal Tournaments from the newest one (Stupid Gears of War characters).

The removal of Dragon Age: Origins' fun/intrigue from Dragon Age 2

That's all I can think of for now.

Edit:

idarkphoenixi:
No acrobatics in skyrim.

raage.

That too, I miss being able to jump around traps/puzzles/obstacles or take ridiculously dangerous shortcuts to places.

The fact I can't shoot around corners in Choas Theory but I can can in the previous Splinter Cell games. Also the way they tinker with the controls in every game. Damn you muscle memory!

Crouch Walking in MGS Peace Walker and Snake Eater 3d. The series play sooooo much better with such a simple addition.

idarkphoenixi:
No acrobatics in skyrim.

raage.

Damn, how could I forget that? I miss being able to do inexplicable backflips and jump over buildings.

Awesomesauce123:
What does that seed for Minecraft do? I'm too scared to use it.

I just tried searching for it in google, and Chrome crashed on me.. then my comp blue screened. DON'T USE IT, ITS A TRAP.

Because we all know correlation and causation...

OT: Let me get back to you on that.

baddude1337:
Crouch Walking in MGS Peace Walker and Snake Eater 3d. The series play sooooo much better with such a simple addition.

That... is the opposite of what this thread is asking. That wasn't in previous games (except for MGS4).

Though, by that token, the lack of crawling, First-Person view, and being able to move while pushed up against cover in MGS: Peace Walker. I've been having a lot of fun with the MGS HD Collection, but damn if those things aren't frustrating. First-Person view is perfect for getting pinpoint head-shots with the tranquilizer, crawling may have been mostly useless but it was still awesome being able to shimmy under cars/trucks and having those little ducts and openings in walls to crawl through, and being stuck in one place while up against cover in a third-person stealth game just doesn't make sense.

kman123:
The 'pin the virus on the random guard' thing in Prototype 1. It was fairly useless and they used a biobomb thing instead, but damn it, I loved that feature. It was hilarious.

Also this. Being able to blame military personnel and then watching them all go ape-shit and shoot the guy down with assault rifles, rocket launchers, and occasionally a tank was just amazing.

I miss the rolling options in Spyro The Dragon. In Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon, it could have been very helpful during boss fights.

Drakengard and Drakengard 2; Drakengard 1 had a kill counter for the weapons before they leveled up; Drakengard 2 had experience points for each kind of enemy... *bleh* If I'm grinding up my (currently) crappy weapons, I don't want to have to fight elite mooks until they are tough enough to hurt them!

Oblivion and Skyrim: I miss being able to have character models with outrageous skin tones/hair and eye colors. Bright blue Argonians, Nords with green hair... *sigh*

I hope they bring magic back to the Zelda series

To prevent confusion, I recommend changing the word prequel into predecessor, since the two are different things: a prequel is actually a sequel that chronologically takes place before the original game.

Aardvark Soup:
To prevent confusion, I recommend changing the word prequel into predecessor, since the two are different things: a prequel is actually a sequel that chronologically takes place before the original game.

This.
And assuming you mean predecessor,

I miss the fact that in Morrowind you could put clothes on over your armour. So you could wear a monks robes over your armour and look awesome.
I know it's a minor feature and doesn't really do anything but sod it, I missed it.

Let's see...
- no assault rifle in Halo 2 (even though they brought it back)
- no open ended mission structure in Crysis 2
- lack of light in Doom 3
- lack of horror in Dead Space 2

List goes on and on

Pretty much all RPG-ish things in they removed in Skyrim.
Attributes, lots of skills, etc. I got over it, but it'd could have been so much better still.

Swordfighting in Thief 1 + 2 was missing in the sequel. Also, some limitations that helped keep the game much more interesting not being able to kill any human on expert and not keeping your equipment into the next level also ended up worsening the whole game. Thief 3 still was good; it just wasn't great like its predecessors.

The point-buy-based hero creation in Age of Wonders being replaced with the game giving you 2 (or three in the expansion) random choices sucked.

Don Savik:
The removal of Zasalamel in Soul Caliber.

THEY DID WHAT??!! How could they do something so stupid? Man I am so glad I stopped caring about that series with 4, it certainly went down the shitter it seems.

Anyway, I miss Assault mode from Unreal. Conquest mode just wasn't the same thing.

Kilo24:
Swordfighting in Thief 1 + 2 was missing in the sequel.

To be fair though, the sword was pretty much useless in the first 2 games, and if you ever needed to use it then something had gone wrong. I'd have dropped that thing from my inventory, and the blackjack and most other stuff if it had let me.

World Cup '98, which is more or less part of the FIFA series, used to have a button (L2 on the PS) that let you make an outrageous tackle that resulted a guaranteed red card and an almost guaranteed injury. My brother and I had so much fun with that. I don't know if WC'98 was the last game to feature that button, but it sure isn't in more recent FIFA games.

Also, FIFA 2000 had awesome cheats that changed the players to aliens, inflated their heads and struck them by lighting. This is also sorely missing in more recent games.

Actually, I feel that in general games nowadays have less aweseme cheats than they used to.

No merchant and a dumber inventory system in Resident Evil 5 (compared to Resident Evil 4). Although I can understand the former because that's making the mistake that the merchant was the main thing people loved of RE4.

imahobbit4062:

Agreed, and...
The date system was better (with girls, not a fat cousin)
The clothing options
The choice of hair cuts and tattoos

and I could go on all day!

I'm surprised nobody said planet exploration in Mass Effect.

- Multiple leaders per civ and staggered starting techs from Civ IV (also Lenard Nimoy's voice).
- The Mako from Mass Effect. I don't care what anyone says, I enjoyed driving that thing.

I wish that they would have kept the Hailstorm in Resistance 2 and 3. Anybody who played Resistance: FoM knows how awesome that gun was.

I wish they would have kept Arc Lightning in inFAMOUS 2. It wasn't really needed, and other powers are easily capable of filling its role, but damn I loved pretending to be Emperor Palpatine

And lastly, they should have kept the Hammerfist Toss in Prototype 2. Dashing down a crowded street, and then proceeding to launch yourself fist first through the air was incredibly satisfying.

putowtin:

imahobbit4062:

Agreed, and...
The date system was better (with girls, not a fat cousin)
The clothing options
The choice of hair cuts and tattoos

and I could go on all day!

More clothing options would've been nice, but I loved the GTAIII outfit so I never bothered to change after I got it.

Oh well, here's hoping they add something like that into GTAV.

Game Manuals.

You might not count this, but I loved reading those damn things.

GTA4: They removed the fun.

prince of persia 2 onwards.

THEY REMOVED THE WATER DRINKING MUSIC!!!!

I use to purposely get hurt sometimes just so I could hear that tune next time I found some water XD

I miss the creativity of the weapons and magic from the first Fable. No, Fable 3, I don't want a bunch of boring and generic spells. I don't want to choose between "quick sword or slow hammer". Fuck you, I want my lightning axe. I want a bigass two-handed sword. A want a suit of armour that actually DOES something rather than look "pretty".

And I want the Guild of Heroes to be a bunch of guys who've decided to become superstrong, not some ridiculous lineage-based thing. That's retarded.

Sc2: they removed decent custom maps, LAN and clan support while ruining chat. Y U NO make good games now Blizz?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked