Features in Prequels that you miss in Sequels

Pages PREV 1 2

Mercenaries 1, at any time you could pull out your PDA and order violent explosives onto the enemy. Mercenaries 2 took that out and tried to make it more "realistic."

Shax:
I wish that they would have kept the Hailstorm in Resistance 2 and 3.

The more I hear about these Resistance sequels, the worse they get. I was mixed on the first game, but goddamn I loved that gun so much.

Lovely Mixture:
Mercenaries 1, at any time you could pull out your PDA and order violent explosives onto the enemy. Mercenaries 2 took that out and tried to make it more "realistic."

Shax:
I wish that they would have kept the Hailstorm in Resistance 2 and 3.

The more I hear about these Resistance sequels, the worse they get. I was mixed on the first game, but goddamn I loved that gun so much.

Actually, seeing as you can probably find used copies pretty cheap now, the Resistance sequels may be worth your time. You can pass up on the second one if you hate 2-weapon limits, but the gameplay of Resistance 3 is actually very good. The story kind of falls apart at the end, but they let you hold all your weapons again, and the weapons are fun and satisfying to use. But still; WHY NO HAILSTORM !?!?!? D:

Awesomesauce123:
What does that seed for Minecraft do? I'm too scared to use it.

it spawns you on a tiny island with one tree and some sugar cane. a pond in the middle as well.

the only other bit of land in sight is half a dozen blocks of dirt and sand with sugar cane growing... thats it.

mitchell271:
- lack of light in Doom 3

while its only 10 AM at the moment, this might be the best comment i heard all day

Pretty much everythingh left out in the change from Morrowind to Oblivion

also in Assassins Creed 1 the guards were super strict, i liked that

Kingdom Hearts, Why did they remove reaction commands? I love the new ability system but RC were epic.

I also agree with rage over acrobatics, nothing more satisfying than jumping like a whelp one day and jumping across ravines and building effortlessly.

Any sequel that changes its control scheme from the previous game, because it'll inevitably be the death of me at least twice.

Chairman Miaow:
I'm surprised nobody said planet exploration in Mass Effect.

Yeh exploration & the mako from mass effect were a big one for me, made the universe seem way bigger and more open

Danzavare:
The removal of the campaign mode from Soul Calibur 2 in all the future Soul Calibur games (Though I didn't get to try 3's campaign mode).

Yeah, I liked the campaign from Soul Calibur 2. It even served as a tutorial of sorts except it was so hard that no-one could ever accuse it of being dumbed down.

imahobbit4062:
Bodybuilding from San Andreas. I really enjoyed that aspect of it.

Personally the character customization (including body building) wasn't that important to me. What I really enjoyed was customizing cars and make them look the way I wanted.

Being able to level up past first dan offline in Tekken 6 (In tekken 5 you could go all the way up to Tekken Lord offline.)

Character specific target practice in Melee that went missing in brawl.

The bikes from Mario Kart Wii if you count Mario Kart 7 as the sequel.

Balimaar:
I recently found a copy of Madden 12 for $20 snapped it up and went home happily anticipating completing a 70 yard Hail Mary touchdown for The Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Duly started up Franchise Mode completed my first few games and then I noticed something... my favourite feature from 10 and 11 was gone.

The Extra Point (TEP) was gone.

So my fellow escapists... have you ever played a sequel to a game that had that little something you loved missing from earlier iterations?

prequel is the wrong word. you mean predecessor. change the title.

Don Savik:

The removal of LAN in most games is a big issue for me. That seems to be a cool trend in multiplayer sequels.

idarkphoenixi:
No acrobatics in skyrim.

raage.

this two right here

I miss all the features, activities, seperate gang missions and races from SaintRow2 in SR3. Compared to SR3 it`s a written masterpiece full of interresting characters and a real badass main character. THQ decided that it was wrong and that they needed to tone it down for a bit of sillyness. I miss the vibe of the old games. SR is dead as a franchise (at least to me). Too bad, i wish for a character creator in every open world action game and SR has the best i know of.

the entrapment chain from the witcher 1 you see in the intro movie but never are able to use.

rhizhim:

Balimaar:
I recently found a copy of Madden 12 for $20 snapped it up and went home happily anticipating completing a 70 yard Hail Mary touchdown for The Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Duly started up Franchise Mode completed my first few games and then I noticed something... my favourite feature from 10 and 11 was gone.

So my fellow escapists... have you ever played a sequel to a game that had that little something you loved missing from earlier iterations?

Don Savik:

The removal of LAN in most games is a big issue for me. That seems to be a cool trend in multiplayer sequels.

idarkphoenixi:
No acrobatics in skyrim.

raage.

this two right here

oh the IRONY. someone tells me off for using the wrong word (ok I get it, its been said a few times already) and then doesnt know the difference between this and these.

Also if you want someone to do something, saying please is usually a good thing to say.

Balimaar:

rhizhim:

Balimaar:

Don Savik:

idarkphoenixi:
No acrobatics in skyrim.

raage.

this two right here

oh the IRONY. someone tells me off for using the wrong word (ok I get it, its been said a few times already) and then doesnt know the difference between this and these.

Also if you want someone to do something, saying please is usually a good thing to say.

oh well. i fucked up by not using the plural form of this.
thank god i didn't use a word that has a different meaning...

could you still change the title of the thread, please.

idarkphoenixi:
No acrobatics in skyrim.

raage.

I want the levitate spell from Morrowind back. Hell I want all the crazy spells back.

Layered clothing from Saints Row 1 and 2 and the magic / enchantment system in Oblivion.

I missed being able to throw grenades and molotovs in Max Payne 3, like you could in the first two games.

Would have come in handy, since the third game was much more cover-based.

imahobbit4062:
Bodybuilding from San Andreas. I really enjoyed that aspect of it.

As much as I liked body-building, I liked how eatting in SA actually meant something. You could spend all of your money at Cluck-n-Bell and puke up your guts. Not so much in GTA4. I would have loved to see Niko as a fat-ass.

---

Mass Effect 2 (haven't played 3 yet). I was annoyed by the lack of the Mako but pissed when the guns suddenly had ammo limits! I don't care if you call it a thermal clip and say it's all to do with the heat generated by the gun as that makes no sense to me. If you stop shooting a gun, it cools down and should replenish the charge of the clip. If you read the codex, it's explained why ammo isn't a concern in the ME universe. To me, it seemed like bringing in heat-syncs seemed to slap established lore in the face.

Fable 3...Why did you make it so that I can only directly interact with one person at a time?!

Saint's Row 3 - Crowd Control, Septic Avenger and, pre-activity cut scenes. Tell me WHY and HOW I'm suddenly on the set of Professor Genki's show. Also tell me why I can't spray shit all over things in Steelport you bastards!

VoidWanderer:
Game Manuals.

You might not count this, but I loved reading those damn things.

I consider them (or rather I used to) as a sort of unofficial art-book. Even older games with a tutorial bit told you a lot in the manual.

I also miss split-screen co-op/multiplayer and, bot-matches. This generation has had a ton of games where the multiplayer is heavily touted but they neglect to tell you that you can only get achievements or, you get the true experience ONLY when you play online. Perfect Dark Zero was great in that I could achievement-hunt while playing bot matches! That's the sole reason I bought it honestly...

third person cam in pretty much every Mechwarrior game until now.

I get the reasons for them not putting it in Mechwarrior Online, but still.

Oh and hey games developers, how about you start giving us splitscreen again! I know there's the occasional developers who are still really good at this whole thing, like Gearbox and such, but for every Gearbox there's ten DICE, or hell, ten developers owned by EA.

So yeah, splitscreen in ALMOST EVERY GAME FROM THE PS2 ERA.

Grand Theft Auto 4.

Anything that was good about San Andreas.

Mass effect 2.

The vehicle sections -_-

rhizhim:

oh well. i fucked up by not using the plural form of this.
thank god i didn't use a word that has a different meaning...

could you still change the title of the thread, please.

Nope. You used a swear word. I don't like swear words! :O

This might seem like an odd one

Mass Effect - Elevators - Sure they weren't particularly exciting but you know what I'll take a disguised loading screen over an actual loading screen any day.Plus especially on they citadel they made it feel like it was a giant station rather than just a series of unconnected rooms

Also Planetary Exploration - Planet scanning was a shit substitute

Bases in Dawn of War. The sequel was fun, but it lost the connection with the tabletop game to me.

Also, only 4 races. No more Tau, Necrons, or Imperial Guard. How can you get rid of the Baneblade?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked