66.3% (55)
66.3% (55)
Too Easy (you switched up to hard)
21.7% (18)
21.7% (18)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Max Payne 3 difficulty.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I just finished Max Payne 3 was wondering what other people thought about the difficulty, since I had been hearing things about it being way too hard. Since I like a challenge I played on hard, and sure there were some challenges, but I didn't have to change it down at all (Shoot dodge OP) I didn't die more than once or twice (edit: probably more like 5+ in one place) on any section. I was just wondering about what the community thought about it.

It was difficult to anticipate the enemies -there placings and movement.

This in itself wouldn't be too annoying if they weren't able to kill you in two shots.

I wouldn't call Max Payne 3 really hard, but while playing I was too focussed on not dying to actively enjoy blasting dudes.

Oldschool was a bit harder after playing through all the other difficulties with last man standing available. Hard seemed almost easy compared to it. All in all i loved that this game never felt unfair. Every challenge was doable. I can`t talk about NewYorkMinuteHardore this is really a hard challenge and i`m not going for this trophy.

I'd say the difficulty was just right. I'm currently replaying the game on Hard before going to Old School. But even on Normal, I died frequently.

OldDirtyCrusty:
All in all i loved that this game never felt unfair. Every challenge was doable.

I agree with that. Although I died a lot, I always felt that I died because I fucked up. Perhaps I crashed into a wall in the middle of a shootdodge, and every enemy left alive filled Max's torso with lead. Or I stayed in cover too long, and an unseen enemy flanked me and shot me to pieces. Things like that.

Some parts caused me to die far more than others, but I was eventually able to overcome them by trying different approaches, different weapons, and switching my tactics around. Or... just not sucking. I remember several shootouts ending horribly for me time and time again, only for me to pull off a "perfect" killing spree and sending a bullet straight into the brains of every enemy in sight in one bullet-time rampage and seeing them all hit the floor at the same time. At least that makes me instantly forget my repeated failures.

Played it on hard right from the get go. Check-points seemed a tad unforgiving at times, but otherwise I didn't have much trouble with it

Tohuvabohu:
Some parts caused me to die far more than others, but I was eventually able to overcome them by trying different approaches, different weapons, and switching my tactics around. Or... just not sucking. I remember several shootouts ending horribly for me time and time again, only for me to pull off a "perfect" killing spree and sending a bullet straight into the brains of every enemy in sight in one bullet-time rampage and seeing them all hit the floor at the same time. At least that makes me instantly forget my repeated failures.

Yeah, that was the beauty of the whole gameplay.
My perfect win strategy was always shootdoging the hell out of all situations. I`m really glad that it works out on consoles too.

I swapped it down to easy on the first go a few levels in, but then had no problems at all on medium when I went for a second playthrough.

I'd say people should put it on easy for a bit if they're struggling, just so you can get a rhythm going.

Ignatz_Zwakh:
Check-points seemed a tad unforgiving at times, but otherwise I didn't have much trouble with it

In what way? Seemed to checkpoint after every single shootout.

Woodsey:
I swapped it down to easy on the first go a few levels in, but then had no problems at all on medium when I went for a second playthrough.

I'd say people should put it on easy for a bit if they're struggling, just so you can get a rhythm going.

Ignatz_Zwakh:
Check-points seemed a tad unforgiving at times, but otherwise I didn't have much trouble with it

I can't really recall, actually. All I remember is finding where I started annoying once in a while....it may have been having to re-watch certain cut-scenes, due to the whole "OMGZ OUR CINEMATICS OUR INTEGRATED INTO OUR GAMEPLAY!!!!" aspect of the game.

Ignatz_Zwakh:

Woodsey:

Ignatz_Zwakh:

I can't really recall, actually. All I remember is finding where I started annoying once in a while....it may have been having to re-watch certain cut-scenes, due to the whole "OMGZ OUR CINEMATICS OUR INTEGRATED INTO OUR GAMEPLAY!!!!" aspect of the game.

Ha, yeah - 'integrated' in the loosest sense of the word.

I thought the game was way too hard but I didn't change the difficulty so how do I answer the poll :(

I guess my main issue with the game was that it kept telling you "SHOOT DODGE IN EVERY BATTLE!!!!!!!!" But it was a lot easier to just take cover go bullet time then pop some head shots and return to cover. I played the game to leap across rooms in slow mo not play a generic third-person cover-based shooter.

Joseph Harrison:
I thought the game was way too hard but I didn't change the difficulty so how do I answer the poll :(

I guess my main issue with the game was that it kept telling you "SHOOT DODGE IN EVERY BATTLE!!!!!!!!" But it was a lot easier to just take cover go bullet time then pop some head shots and return to cover. I played the game to leap across rooms in slow mo not play a generic third-person cover-based shooter.

Then you are doing it wrong, the maps are even designed in the way that you can jump from cover to cover using the shoot-dodge.

On the one hand, it seemed too hard. On the other hand, it eventually holds your hand if you die too many times by giving you free painkillers and ammo.

The only part that really frustrated me is that one airport level where it's all big and wide open, and it's like an eternity between checkpoints and you have to keep listening to that damn song with the vocals over and over again.

Played it on Hard for my first playthrough. I won't say that was easy, but I didn't struggle as much as I expected. The last 3 levels were probably the most brutal. Those probably took an hour a piece to finish, but it just made the whole experience that much more rewarding and epic.

Joseph Harrison:

I think your wrong about playing it as a 3rd person shooter, instead of using the shootdodge to your advantage. The cover mechanics aren't very good, and you're a still target so you get shot a lot. I found out about halfway into the first mission the best way was to shoot dodge as much as possible, hopefully ending up behind cover. I also think that because the bullets are slowed down when shootdodging most of the shots miss you entirely.
Basically they tailored it to trying to get people to play it in a much more aggressive way than people would normally play third-person shooters, by making that path easier. You should try playing your next playthrough in this way :)

Joseph Harrison:

All i can say is do better! :D I managed many an epic shootdodge, except the few times i ended up falling off balconies and boats....
I found hunkering down to be a deathwish, the enemies just surround you and hunker down themselves. Pretty smart they are.

OT: About right on the normal. A bit of fight in it but not so much i feel frustrated. I think reviewers are just TOO used to having their hand holded/ an easy time in shooters. The times i died were my fault where a shootdodge went bad and i ended up laying in the middle of a room like a fool. :P

XMark:

The only part that really frustrated me is that one airport level where it's all big and wide open, and it's like an eternity between checkpoints and you have to keep listening to that damn song with the vocals over and over again.

I really liked that part, nice change to the close-quarters :D

I can remember a few parts. There's one where you've just gotten into the football stadium and when you start fighting passos says "what's going on" and max responds with "exactly what it sounds like!" (as spoiler free as possible).

That section sucked. Fuck all cover, fuck all ammo and only a couple painkillers.

Edit: I don't get what people were complaining about with being in cover. When I told friends that I did it in the first cover they said "no, that game didn't have a cover mechanic" but when I demonstrated by standing behind a wall and not pushing myself up against it and saying "look guys, i'm in cover" they understood. What's with people and not realising that?

josemlopes:

Joseph Harrison:

Then you are doing it wrong, the maps are even designed in the way that you can jump from cover to cover using the shoot-dodge.

Except in the last boss battle where you cannot leave the cover for more than five feet without the guy insta killing you.

Jowe:

I think your wrong about playing it as a 3rd person shooter, instead of using the shootdodge to your advantage. The cover mechanics aren't very good, and you're a still target so you get shot a lot. I found out about halfway into the first mission the best way was to shoot dodge as much as possible, hopefully ending up behind cover. I also think that because the bullets are slowed down when shootdodging most of the shots miss you entirely.
Basically they tailored it to trying to get people to play it in a much more aggressive way than people would normally play third-person shooters, by making that path easier. You should try playing your next playthrough in this way :)

I did use the shoot dodge frequently and ended up with several badass moments as I jumped through the air getting headshots left and right. My only problem was how often I would end up landing on my ass on the ground and quickly finding myself Swiss cheese. Gunfights could end quicker if you shoot dodged because you could take out enemies easier but Sticking behind cover was a safer if far more boring approach.

Joseph Harrison:

josemlopes:

Joseph Harrison:

Except in the last boss battle where you cannot leave the cover for more than five feet without the guy insta killing you.

What? You're supposed to go into slow mo, which is more than enough time to headshot everyone there and shoot his grenades as they go at you. I don't think I took cover once that entire battle.

dogstile:

What? You're supposed to go into slow mo, which is more than enough time to headshot everyone there and shoot his grenades as they go at you. I don't think I took cover once that entire battle.

If you wander in the wrong direction too much, you will get a short cutscene in which the guy kills you instantly and there's nothing you can do to stop it. You can't even defend yourself, you just die.

Tohuvabohu:

dogstile:

If you wander in the wrong direction too much, you will get a short cutscene in which the guy kills you instantly and there's nothing you can do to stop it. You can't even defend yourself, you just die.

I can see how you might think you have to flank the guy and try to run behind him resulting in an instant kill, but that's not what the guy said. He said you can't move away from cover for more than five feet which makes me very, very tempted to grab the game off my friend and put up a video showing how wrong that is, because you can. Hell, you can freely jump about like a loon, as long as you remember to shoot the grenades and stay in slow mo they won't hit you. Enemy accuracy takes a massive dive in that fight.

Woodsey:

Ignatz_Zwakh:

Woodsey:

Ha, yeah - 'integrated' in the loosest sense of the word.

Seriously. I'd read an article (Likely on here) maybe a month prior to the game releasing. Rockstar mentioned in this article how proud they were to have made a game with cinematics that "seamlessly" blended into the game-play.
While playing the game for the first few hours or so, whenever this occurred (Max pulling out his gun in a cut-scene and WHOA, you're the one shooting!) I'd think of that article. Like, okay, seen it before Rockstar. It ain't exactly revolutionary, despite being well-done.

I am determined to enjoy my first playthrough of the game, so I put it on Easy, remembering the swearing and hatred I experienced so often in the first two games. I'm still getting killed every now and then, but at least the deaths are fair.
I'll probably bump it up to Normal in my next play, but I'll be damned if I'll go up to Hard.

Besides the occasional enemy that popped up from behind or sprang from the side to blast 3/4 of your health bar away it was punishingly tough and I enjoyed it.
Though I've finished it on hard, I don't think I'll try the other two modes.

Started the game on hard, must have died 10 times in total. Not much of a challenge really. The only place that gave me a little trouble was the sniper bit in the graveyard.

Have no intention of trying the harder difficulties as I've found the game incredibly lacklustre and very disappointing.

I remember getting stuck in the Stadium for a bit shortly after you kill that first sniper. Had about a clip a piece for each pistol and maybe 9 rounds in whatever rifle I was carrying, then 10 guys pop out of nowhere and steamrolled me with grenades.
After about death #7 it started trying to sneak me help in the form of an additional painkiller and maybe a little more ammo here or there.

I think after death 12 or 13 it just flat out gave me max ammo and 5 painkillers I didn't have before.

It was kind of nice to see something like that. It could be quite difficult without ever leaving you totally stranded.

Joseph Harrison:
I guess my main issue with the game was that it kept telling you "SHOOT DODGE IN EVERY Except in the last boss battle where you cannot leave the cover for more than five feet without the guy insta killing you.

Shootdoge around between the two ammo bags and don`t forget about the incomming grenades, there`s no need to stay in the first cover. There are even two additional painkillers at each ammo bag. Make sure you use free aim, soft lock is sometimes just irritating by switching to the wrong enemy. It can be frustrating but i guess that`s just the challenge of the last battle.

I really like the section after that, relaxing, kickass fun. It`s like a payback reward after the hard boss battle.

I voted for "About right" even though I switched it down to easy for the quasi-final boss. This was however caused by me not understanding the way you're supposed to beat him.

I tried playing it on the second lowest difficulty (Normal?) and got raped, so went to easy. Still had trouble a fair bit of the time. But then again, Max Payne is known to be a brutal series, as well as me preferring entertainment over a challenge in games.

OldDirtyCrusty:

Joseph Harrison:
I guess my main issue with the game was that it kept telling you "SHOOT DODGE IN EVERY Except in the last boss battle where you cannot leave the cover for more than five feet without the guy insta killing you.

Shootdoge around between the two ammo bags and don`t forget about the incomming grenades, there`s no need to stay in the first cover. There are even two additional painkillers at each ammo bag. Make sure you use free aim, soft lock is sometimes just irritating by switching to the wrong enemy. It can be frustrating but i guess that`s just the challenge of the last battle.

I really like the section after that, relaxing, kickass fun. It`s like a payback reward after the hard boss battle.

I guess I was just frustrated because I started the battle by shoot dodging to the left and a cinematic played where the guy insta killed me. So I was like "What the hell, guess I won't go that way" so I went right and lo and behold I was insta-killed again. So I was getting pissed and just leapt forward in front of the barricade and the guy insta-killed me a third time. So after that I just hid behind the barricade like a baby standing up and getting head shots every few seconds.

Also yeah the weird thing about this game was that I found it easier to Free aim than to play with Soft Lock because Soft Lock would always lock on to some random guys chest and would not let me pull the reticule up for headshots or aim at someone else.

The problem is a lot of people really don't know how to play the game. MP3 is a straight up run and gunner, and nothing like Gears of War. What that means is if you try and play it like Gears using cover and taking pop shots you're going to get bum rush and wasted in seconds. The game is meant to be played mostly running around dodging bullets by using bullet time, and once you learn to do that the game becomes a piece of cake.

That's all there is to it. People are just so use to the Gears formula that they're playing the game wrong....=/

Also, I've felt persuaded to call it the best 3rd person shooter made...up till now that is.

Difficulty was fine, my only complaint is that last man standing is annoying as fuck. It gets me killed more often than it helps by giving me an angle that I can't shoot the enemy from. I was happy to have unlocked old school mode afterwards.

It wasn't overly difficult even on Hard mode. In fact, I'd judge its difficulty - when the difficulty is behaving itself - to be a fine example of what video game difficulty should be. Normal will let you progress with reasonable skills, Hard mode will challenge you without crushing your soul.

Of course, that's when the difficulty is behaving itself, which it only seems to do for approximately 70% of the game. That other 30% is divided between waltzing carelessly through ridiculously easy fights that have no business being in any mode besides easy, and arduous over-long grindfests that have no business being in a single-player game at all.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked