R18+ Australia, on the homefront

So most of the world knows about Australia's lack of an R18 rating, if only so they can laugh at us. Fair call, I'd laugh at us too. And you've probably heard that recently it was finally decided that we'd get one.
But something you might not know is the spin that's being put on it here in the land down-under. Namely, that rarther than "incompetant government finally fixes faulty rating system after years of people screaming at them to do so" it's generally being reported as "heroic classification board introduces knew rating to help parents in the wake of horrible, violent, sex-filled, drug-addled videogames."

Just... Something to know about, for any foreign gaming entheusiasts who might be interested... Gotta love political spin.

The problem is that the government is under a lot of pressure from the Australian Christian Lobby, so even though gamers outnumber people against the rating, the gamers aren't the one with money to throw around. Every time the rating was discussed the ACL would put out nonsense press releases claiming that Rapelay was on the verge of being forced on innocent children like they were test subjects in A Clock Work Orange.

Maybe now that we're getting the rating the ACL can focus on something other than censorship. Now all we need to go is get gay marriage happening so they can expend their efforts on stuff that matters.

captcha: turn the tables

Nice.

This is the kind of shit that makes me completely disinterested in politics. I fucking hate it. All politicians care about is making themselves look good and acquiring power.

I don't care how they justify it, if it means adult games can finally be sold in the country then it's a step in the right direction. The government needs to stop caving to the religious nutjobs.

The only problem with this is that previously banned games stay banned. Other than that, its AWESOME.

Scrustle:
This is the kind of shit that makes me completely disinterested in politics. I fucking hate it. All politicians care about is making themselves look good and acquiring power.

in a nutshell -
-Everything a politician does, he or she does for one of only three reasons:
a) to get even
b) to get elected
c) to stay elected

I guess this was always going to happen - they've given us what we want, now they need to limit the fallout with the people who aren't getting what they want.

As far as I'm concerned they can spin it whatever way they like, because WE FINALLY WON NER NERRNY NERR NERRR!!!!! :P

TheLizardKing:
The only problem with this is that previously banned games stay banned. Other than that, its AWESOME.

Well that defeats the point completely. Either allow the games or don't. If they're ok now, let them get released.

doest really bother me

except the Australia christian lobby are pissing me off in regards to this...I mean fuck an R18 rating would actually be HELPFUL for their cause

though I would like to see som scources as to who's using that wording

Its funny because parents will be the ones who ignore them completely.
Captcha STOP TELLING ME TO KNOW MY RIGHTS!

Scrustle:

itchcrotch:
in a nutshell -
a) to get even
b) to get elected
c) to stay elected

Which is why you need a freaking revolution in order to get any meaningful lasting change.

Care to join me?

Vault101:
doest really bother me

except the Australia christian lobby are pissing me off in regards to this...I mean fuck an R18 rating would actually be HELPFUL for their cause.

Oh no Vault, that gives these video games legitimacy. You wanna make something REALLY scary (which is how conservative groups control the masses) you drive it underground. That way the public can't judge for themselves and all they have to go on is your word.

The Genius:

TheLizardKing:

Well that defeats the point completely. Either allow the games or don't. If they're ok now, let them get released.

I could be wrong, but I expect they'd just need to be resubmitted for classification. Probably not much point in most cases though, because the games were released long enough ago that anyone who was interested either bought a copy from overseas or stopped caring...

Kermi:

This pisses me right off. Jesus said ZILCH about homosexuality, but made hundreds of references to feeding the poor.

Check the ACL's statement count on homosexuality versus poverty. Despicable.

DVS BSTrD:
Its funny because parents will be the ones who ignore them completely.
Captcha STOP TELLING ME TO KNOW MY RIGHTS!

Scrustle:

itchcrotch:
in a nutshell -
a) to get even
b) to get elected
c) to stay elected

Which is why you need a freaking revolution in order to get any meaningful lasting change.

Care to join me?

Vault101:
doest really bother me

except the Australia christian lobby are pissing me off in regards to this...I mean fuck an R18 rating would actually be HELPFUL for their cause.

Oh no Vault, that gives these video games legitimacy. You wanna make something REALLY scary (which is how conservative groups control the masses) you drive it underground. That way the public can't judge for themselves and all they have to go on is your word.

yeah, this is what it ultimately comes down to, the opinions of people like the ACL should be disregarded because they're not arguing against an R18 rating because they've thought long and hard and believe that MA15 should be the cap, they're arguing against it because it's merely one step closer to their ultimate fantasy of banning videogames outright.

It's the ACL, who gives a shit? They feel threatened by everything so they claim religious morality, like any other religious person.

Game importers don't care about region locks or ratings, they just ship games.

As retarded as this all is, I have to say we did kind of bring it on ourselves when we started using children and parents ability to chose games more carefully as an argument, for it is an argument we've used pretty strongly of late. But lets be honest, despite what we've all said (and we've ALL said it) about making it easier and more streamlined, the children etc etc, all that any of us really cares about is about being able to play Left 4 Dead 2 uncensored and to be able to pick up Mortal Kombat from EB games.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked