White Guy, Brown Hair

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Psychoninja7:

Edible Avatar:
Alex Mercer, That guy from Limbo (actually, everyone in Limbo), The kid (bastion), Isaac from TBoI. In fact, every game i have played recently doesn't have a protagonist with brown hair AND white skin.

I win your bet, sir.

Alex Mercer is white with brown hair.

Alex Mercer died and the character you play as is the virus.

Yeah, I've noticed it before; I just really don't care. The ethnicity and hair color of a protagonist are really irrelevant to me; I only care if they're a well written or interesting protagonist. We seem to be at a lack for those, though.
Oh, and to accept your challenge, I was going to go through my games list and mark down every protagonist who wasn't white or who didn't have brown hair, but you said modern AAA games, and those make up a third of my current games library (on all platforms)

Also, I see a lot of people clicked that Red button. Including myself. Now we all must pay the price.

I have no problem with male characters in games being white or brown haired.

However. I DO have a problem with every SINGLE FUCKING ONE HAVING SHORT OR BUZZCUT HAIR!

Honestly. I don't play a lot of major games, but it seems nearly every major RPG that lets you create the main character only has short hair options for the male options.

Darth Revan, The Exile, Commander Shepard, Hawke, the Vault escapee, The Prisoner, the Dragonborn (barring two hairstyles that look like I'm wearing seaweed) and most of the options in MMO's except for World of Warcraft.

And people wonder why I play female characters. Buzzcuts and Crew cuts have no personality to them. Let me lead the space military with an eyepatch and a two-foot ponytail.

I make it a point to avoid games with protagonists that have the musclebound white guy with short brown hair thing going on. They just don't tend to make for very interesting characters in my mind. And when I make a character in any game that allows character customization, it tends to be as weird and outlandish as possible. Like a fat purple Russian luchador woman in Saints Row: The Third.

And this is all coming from someone that happens to be a brown-haired white guy.

Bruce Wayne has black hair in the Arkham series, so by extension, Batman.

I like how people assume that the skin color, hair color, and genitalia of the protagonist even matters. I love how these people who constantly cry "RACISM!" and "SEXISM!" themselves cannot bring themselves to look past skin color, hair color, and gender...

Discussions such as this is why racism and sexism continues to exist... interestingly, discussions such as this are more often perpetuated by those who constantly remind us that racism and sexism are 'bad things' (TM)

I don't give a shit if the protagonist is man or woman, given a choice I tend to choose woman. Nor do I give a shit if their skin and hair color is black, white, brown, or purple... It's just not something I pay attention to, and certainly not something I dwell on. They're superficial traits, they're meaningless. So I regard them as unimportant as something so meaningless is.

Hey it's better than that period we went through a few years back where every male protagonist was white and bald. At least having hair is an improvement.

Designers know their audience, mostly white males who enjoy projecting themselves in characters. There's always a reason for tropes dear friends. Unless it's Daikatana good God don't talk about Daikatana.

LastGreatBlasphemer:

Psychoninja7:

Edible Avatar:
Alex Mercer, That guy from Limbo (actually, everyone in Limbo), The kid (bastion), Isaac from TBoI. In fact, every game i have played recently doesn't have a protagonist with brown hair AND white skin.

I win your bet, sir.

Alex Mercer died and the character you play as is the virus.

I know. I said it in one of my other posts. But a lot of people seem to miss that you play the virus.

Edible Avatar:

Psychoninja7:

Edible Avatar:

I win your bet, sir.

He has a hood, thus nobody can see his hair through prototype 1 (maybe he does show his hair, i haven't finished it yet). But i firmly believe that Mercer has rainbow colored dreadlocks under that hood, I'm just waiting for it to be shown.

Oh my... I knew it!

darlarosa:
It's not that protagonists or characters can't be. It's that most of the "western market" is made up of Player Characters that are this, and thats honestly not an accurate reflection of the world in which we live.

The way a world may approach the generic 30-something year old brown haired dude could be completely different to how the world would treat a 30 something year old black guy, or a 50 year old white guy. Subtle differences can add something rich to the story. to quote a friend of mine "white people are so generic" :P

It may not accurately reflect the world (in fact if it tried to, one on three games would feature either an indian or chinese protagonist) but that is irrelevant. While games can and have told often interesting tales and made interesting observations of social phenomena, you nailed it at the end with the generic statement. Video game protagonists are usually mute "everymen" onto which the player can project. Being white or black in most FPSs is irrelevant. You aren't a character, just a pair of arms and a gun. In many other games we have character creators allowing us to portray any character we desire.

For the ones where we play a fixed character like Leon Kennedy or Adam Jensenn, what actual difference would it make to the game in any way if they had different hair or skin colour? In both these cases, being female would change the nature of the "save the girl" part of the story, but race and hair colour neither define the character nor make a difference.

Personally I don't really care who the player-character is. I'll have fun with the character creator if it's available, play the game twice as male/female if there's a difference (such as Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, other BioWare game) but I don't see why skin colour makes any difference.

I would presume that with the majority of games developers (in the West) and players being predominantly white males, games will cater for this demographic more than any other. Why though are people complaining about this and not about too much Brad Pitt, Christian Bale, Jason Statham or Tom Cruise films? Are you complaining that video games don't have "token black guy" or "gay best friend"? I don't want political correctness in my video games thanks.

I almost always play games with character creation so this is never a problem for me.

I'm always playing as a middle-aged, bald, black guy.

KingsGambit:

darlarosa:
It's not that protagonists or characters can't be. It's that most of the "western market" is made up of Player Characters that are this, and thats honestly not an accurate reflection of the world in which we live.

The way a world may approach the generic 30-something year old brown haired dude could be completely different to how the world would treat a 30 something year old black guy, or a 50 year old white guy. Subtle differences can add something rich to the story. to quote a friend of mine "white people are so generic" :P

It may not accurately reflect the world (in fact if it tried to, one on three games would feature either an indian or chinese protagonist) but that is irrelevant. While games can and have told often interesting tales and made interesting observations of social phenomena, you nailed it at the end with the generic statement. Video game protagonists are usually mute "everymen" onto which the player can project. Being white or black in most FPSs is irrelevant. You aren't a character, just a pair of arms and a gun. In many other games we have character creators allowing us to portray any character we desire.

For the ones where we play a fixed character like Leon Kennedy or Adam Jensenn, what actual difference would it make to the game in any way if they had different hair or skin colour? In both these cases, being female would change the nature of the "save the girl" part of the story, but race and hair colour neither define the character nor make a difference.

Personally I don't really care who the player-character is. I'll have fun with the character creator if it's available, play the game twice as male/female if there's a difference (such as Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, other BioWare game) but I don't see why skin colour makes any difference.

I would presume that with the majority of games developers (in the West) and players being predominantly white males, games will cater for this demographic more than any other. Why though are people complaining about this and not about too much Brad Pitt, Christian Bale, Jason Statham or Tom Cruise films? Are you complaining that video games don't have "token black guy" or "gay best friend"? I don't want political correctness in my video games thanks.

Firstly I don't really play FPS's....and you just explained part of why. They bore me really and thats my two cents on that

Also I do complain about the generic leads in Hollywood movies. Often in fact if you want the truth. This is a society based on White male default. In video games, books, movies white is often translated to mean average. For example in video games where you can build you're own character, for example let's go with any of the Bioware games you just mentioned the default is a white male. Actually your own statements prove my point that the inclusion of minorities is usally considered tokenism instead of just inclusion. It's not about political correctness, which isn't a dirty word to begin with. It's about the fact that white and male is always the default. You can argue "well devs are mostly white and male so that makes sense", but we have asari, elves, orcs, dragons, mutants, etc. but rarely is there a group of people that could be synonmous with Asian peoples, or black peoples, etc. Then people turn around when others complain about the default of whiteness, or maleness, and say "But you can relate to this person regardless of skin color or gender right?". Well, yes, but why can't white males relate to other people? Do others always have to accept this as standard. I say no. I say HELL NO.

You're just not even comprehending what I was saying.Race, hair color, nation of origin, and all don't define a character, BUT they do contribute to how that character interacts with the world and how they view themselves. In a game where you play as a man of middle eastern descent in a western military you would experience different interactions, and be viewed differently by others for instance. The personal story of that soldier could be it's post 9/11 and he has to prove himself as patriotic for instance. There is no reason why a game can't have the complexities that exist in real life revolving around ethnicity or nation origin or anything. If someone developed a REALLY interesting GTA style game, you're ethnic group would be the primary indicator of you're gang. If you're playing the old game Harvester changing Steve to being Italian would make a heck of a difference(and a slightly more offensive game). Maybe it's hard to understand but humans adjust themselves according to what we've been taught about others overtly and subtly.

In certain situations race is irrelevant and is not useful for discussion in every game. If Leon Kennedy was black or white it would not matter in the context of that game for the most part. Personally I think aspects of the audience would be less comfortable with Ashley flirting with him at the end of the game, and I think their relationship through out the game would be interpreted differently. To say that such changes have no effect on the character or world of certain video games is to be blunt a statement of ignorance or naivety

If I named all that came to my head the list would be pages long so I'll just name some obvious ones.

James Heller, a black man with black hair.
Sam B, a black bald man.
Leon Kennedy, a white man with blonde hair.
Garalt, a white man with white hair.
Every character I've ever made in a game with customization.

charachters like Cole from Infamous and Adam Jensen I actually liked

Nathan Drake on the other hand...

Griffon_Hawke179:
I like how people assume that the skin color, hair color, and genitalia of the protagonist even matters. I love how these people who constantly cry "RACISM!" and "SEXISM!" themselves cannot bring themselves to look past skin color, hair color, and gender...

Discussions such as this is why racism and sexism continues to exist... interestingly, discussions such as this are more often perpetuated by those who constantly remind us that racism and sexism are 'bad things' (TM)

I don't give a shit if the protagonist is man or woman, given a choice I tend to choose woman. Nor do I give a shit if their skin and hair color is black, white, brown, or purple... It's just not something I pay attention to, and certainly not something I dwell on. They're superficial traits, they're meaningless. So I regard them as unimportant as something so meaningless is.

QFT

I like the idea of more black, or native american, or female protagonists. If people are starting to really crave them, they'll get made.

I find it interesting people complain that society leans to whites in default.Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing if we lean towards not giving a fuck about race. I am pro not giving a fuck about things that don't matter. But perhaps, move to a society where it isn't? You can go to Japan where Asian males run the shit. Or China, Korea, etc. It's not our fault we were born the majority here, you damned racists!

aestu:
Duke Nukem. Mario. Pretty much any of the countless games with an Asian protagonist.

Cut it out with the man-hate threads. It's getting tiresome.

How is Mario not white? He's easily caucasian, just because he's Italian what do you wish to call his skin-color? Italiablanco? Also has brown hair.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked