A question to console owners

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Wen you buy a next gen console, what will you do with your current gen console???
If the answer is keep it then why you need backward compabilyti??? You already have a device that plays current gen games. It's not that hard to switch cable.

Wellll, you know what happened with the PS3. They were all like "Hey, it's backwards compatible with PS2 games!" and then they were like "lol jk"...

Unless my 360 hard drive can be transferred over as well (probably not, it's one of the pre-slim models) I'll probably still use my 360, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I kept my PS2 because even with my 60gb, BC was still sketchy on the PS3.

Older consoles break down, plus it's a hassle having multiple pieces of hardware in the living room or bedroom. Many don't have the free space in their homes to put them. Most of us will have one or two machines that get the most use while others are relegated to the storing cupboard and get used occasionally.

I'll keep my PS3 if the PS4 doesn't have backwards computability but it gets annoying to keep having this stuff pile up. I mean at one point you may end up having three different consoles and you only use one a regular basis. It takes up space and when you are sharing space with others that is space you don't have. I mean if I can play psx-ps3 on the ps4 that would be so much more convenient. Its all about space and everything being available in one thing. Its something many companies are pushing so why shouldn't game makers do the same?

I kept everything. No real reason, I just don't like to get rid of old consoles. Maybe it's just nostalgia. Although backward compatibility isn't such a reliable thing any more. You can't be sure if all your old games will work on the new console any more.

The only reason I got rid of my old Xbox was because it broke. The disc tray went insane. It would open and close by itself randomly all the time, and it would never respond to any commands to open or close it. Eventually it just stopped opening all together. This was shortly after I got a 360. My 360 seems to be going a similar way actually. The disc tray gets stuck a lot of the time... when there's no disc in there. It's totally fine when there is a disc in there though, so I try to keep one in all the time.

My other older consoles work completely fine though. Except for the fact that my PS2 will almost always refuse to play GT4. Nothing wrong with corrupted memory or anything, it just won't read the disc 95% of the time.

Chances are I won't buy the new console until the old one has given up the ghost anyway, so, bin it probably. Then I would like to have backward compatibility so I can continue to play my games after the console has passed on.

I always keep them. I just don't like throwing them out or giving them away. The only console I have ever gotten rid of was my gamecube, I gave it to a friend and have regretted it ever since.

I keep them. Doesn't everyone else, or do they throw it away? Besides it would be around a year down the line of the next-gen before I get a new one.

You see unlike PC where we can emulate bloody EVERYTHING if we have a big enough power-house, console owners will have to get rid of either their console if they don't have space, or keep it if they do have space so they can play all their games with their data.

Well, I won't be getting a next gen console for a while seeing as a console on launch never has any decent titles, making it useless until something good comes out on it.

I need backwards compatibility because eventually my old system will break, like what happened with my Gamecube and Xbox. The Gamecube has the additional problem of having external memory that just loves to go corrupt after a year or two. Actually, I'm not even sure that my Gamecube broke, I think I just preferred being able to play Gamecube games on the Wii, since the memory card was already shot and all.

But to answer OP's implied question...I keep my old systems for nostalgic purposes and also because they have my saves on them (for Xbox, Xbox 360), and because "why the fuck not?" Backwards-compatibility is absolutely essential, though, because old systems tend to break pretty easily.

I'll either get rid of it or keep it. No big deal.
Having a console tends to last longer than having a top of the line computer (which will be top of the line for like five minutes), so replacing my console once or twice is just a better idea for me.

Keep it, and theres no indication at this point whether the next gen consoles will be backwards-compatiable.

If it turns out i dont need it im sure theres always the shooting range.

Well, since I'd imagine Microsoft will still be supporting their cloud saves, assuming they have backwards compatibility, I would just be able to move all my save files to the new console, redownload the DLC I may need. Then, I would trade my console in for store credit (or do that in the first place and get credit towards the new xbox). Just makes sense to me, no need to keep two consoles if the new one plays the old games anyway.

I keep them . Hell i still buy nes and ps2 games when they are cheap . At like garage sales or thigs like that .

I'll keep it unless the next gen is backward compatible with all the games from the previous gen...

Keep it, put it in another room play games there, shrug depends how much money i can get for it and what will happen to my precious saves

So by that measure any new hardware should dump all old software/features?
I wonder how content you would be with a new computer that doesn't support any of the software you already bought...

Honestly..I have to wait to see if this "used game ban" is true..If it is I'l simply not be buying one.

If its not true, I'l keep my PS3, I still have my PS2 I'm currently playing through NFS: Most Wanted.

If it's backwards compatible, probably sell it. If it's not then keep it.

TakeyB0y2:
Wellll, you know what happened with the PS3. They were all like "Hey, it's backwards compatible with PS2 games!" and then they were like "lol jk"...

Unless my 360 hard drive can be transferred over as well (probably not, it's one of the pre-slim models) I'll probably still use my 360, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, I'll probably still have it as long as possible. They better not mess the backwards compatibility up this time, here's hoping they learned their lesson.

Oktanas:
Wen you buy a next gen console, what will you do with your current gen console???
If the answer is keep it then why you need backward compabilyti???

Why need backward compatibility... hmm how about saving space?
Not everyone has room for more than 1 of those enormous bricks that current gen consoles turned out to be.
Maybe people like not having a huge mess of cables and would rather have all functionality in 1 device?
Maybe having access to the previous consoles library is something that people who don't have that console might want?
Maybe the new console adds something to the games such as applying anti aliasing to low-res games?
Does that make any sense?

Oktanas:
You already have a device that plays current gen games. It's not that hard to switch cable.

Oh now we're being condescending.
Speak for yourself.

I see no reason not to keep it. And no, I don't care much about backwards compatibility. It saves some space, but nothing more. My only concern is that this generation will go the way of the VCR and I won't be able to play my older games when my current console dies and I can't buy a new one. Maybe I'll get a new PS2 as backup, just to be safe.

Oktanas:
If the answer is keep it then why you need backward compabilyti??? You already have a device that plays current gen games. It's not that hard to switch cable.

You might as well be asking people why they don't hook up their old TVs with their new ones, and why they expect new TV's to have coaxial and analog connectors.

The reason most people want backwards compatibility is because they don't necessarily want all those old consoles on their entertainment center. Last I checked the room you have to put things by your TV is finite. I psychically cannot have all my old consoles hooked up at the same time, there just isn't room! Whats worse, I don't have any more room now, which is why I hope I can retired the wii, PS3 and Xbox360 to make way for their replacements.

The first thing I'm gonna do is learn how to construct sentences by typing entire words!
Joking aside, I will keep my current gen console. I want the backwards compatability to save space on my TV stand. It's the same argument as 'why buy an iphone, when you can get an itouch and a cheap phone'. It's just a matter of convenience.

Scrustle:
I kept everything. No real reason, I just don't like to get rid of old consoles. Maybe it's just nostalgia. Although backward compatibility isn't such a reliable thing any more. You can't be sure if all your old games will work on the new console any more.

The only reason I got rid of my old Xbox was because it broke. The disc tray went insane. It would open and close by itself randomly all the time, and it would never respond to any commands to open or close it. Eventually it just stopped opening all together. This was shortly after I got a 360. My 360 seems to be going a similar way actually. The disc tray gets stuck a lot of the time... when there's no disc in there. It's totally fine when there is a disc in there though, so I try to keep one in all the time.

My other older consoles work completely fine though. Except for the fact that my PS2 will almost always refuse to play GT4. Nothing wrong with corrupted memory or anything, it just won't read the disc 95% of the time.

yeah same, i dont know why, but when i took my original xbox to a pawn shop, we were about to make the transaction, and i started to tear up because of all the good time ive had with it. ran out of that store so fast with my xbox, and to this day it sits in a box i clean every once in a while.

Phasmal:
No big deal.
Having a console tends to last longer than having a top of the line computer (which will be top of the line for like five minutes)

No, not really. If you build a top of a line computer when the next console gen comes out games will probably still look better running on it than on consoles at the end of the cycle. (Depending on where the big 3 take their products, of course.

I always keep my old consoles. Sometimes I enjoy going back to the older gen consoles and just play some of my games. It's all in the name of nostalgia and it's cool to see how far video games have come from that era of gaming. Also, sometimes I learn of cool games that were released from the previous gen console, so I tend to buy them and play them on the previous gen console.

Up till now, I've kept damn near every console I've ever owned, still set up and ready to play. End result- a space about 5 feet by 6 feet along the wall occupied almost solely by a 20 inch TV and a bunch of old systems. (There's a few small figures for decoration.) If Id've kept my PS1 instead of using the PS2's backwards compatibility, I wouldn't have had room for this generation's systems. I have no idea what I'll do for the next set, since I literally have nowhere to put them.

I won't lose any sleep over a system not having backwards compatibility, but it's nice to keep things easier on the shelving, y'know?

I generally keep everything. Even if the next gen is backwards compatible, I've seen that as consoles get more and more advanced they seem to break down easier. The old systems remain reliable stable as always.

I did sell my original Xbox though. I regret that because not all Xbox games are backwards compatible with the 360. So Destroy all Humans 2 and Oddworld Stranger's Wrath are now kinda useless. That could also contribute to my desire not to get rid of my previous gen consoles.

I'll keep it, just like I did with my PS2. I took that to college with me last year because I didn't really care too much about it if it got broke at a party. But its pretty sturdy as well so I thought I could stand some damage if anything did happen.

I don't really plan on getting a next gen console (and I certainly won't until its been out for a few years), but if I do, my PS3 will probably fall into the PS2s current place (i.e upstairs or in college, away from the main TV)

TrevHead:
Older consoles break down, plus it's a hassle having multiple pieces of hardware in the living room or bedroom. Many don't have the free space in their homes to put them. Most of us will have one or two machines that get the most use while others are relegated to the storing cupboard and get used occasionally.

This. Why do you think consoles fight to be able to do everything (running Netflix, Radio, digital movies)? It's so that you'll be able to have all those things in ONE device. People are creatures of convenience and console developers realize this - that's why every year you hear about mobile devices and such being able to link up to your system.

Pretty soon, I'll be able to use a tablet to interact with my video games. There's so much shit that you can do with a console of today; the very least they can do is make it so I can keep playing all the games from yesteryear that I spent a ton of money on.

Unless it breaks I keep it. And it has paid off so far. I'm still playing games from 1997 because of my hording.

Give it to my son.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked