The Felicia Day/Destructoid situation

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 22 NEXT

Recently Destructoid writer Ryan Perez made a couple comments about Felicia Day on his Twitter account

''Ryan's questions to Felicia were as follows: "I keep seeing [you] everywhere. Question: Do you matter at all? Do you even provide anything useful to gaming, besides "personality?" could you be considered nothing more than a glorified booth babe? You don't seem to add anything creative to the medium."''

Following total uproar Ryan was pressured into resigning from his position with Destructoid as D-toid issued apologies to Miss Day. Other figures such as Adam Baldwin and Wil Wheaton have come out in support of Felicia. But quite frankly...isn't he right? What of substance has she contributed to the gaming medium?

While some of his comments could be interpreted as insulting he made a valid point that much of the gaming community has echoed previously. And besides that,it was his private Twitter which was in no way associated with D-toid and he never claimed he spoke for D-toid. People now flock to his Twitter, calling him ''sick'' and a ''misogynist'' (the latter is quite confusing as he never made any comment that was anti-woman,simply anti-Day). Does a man deserve to lose his job for some opinions he holds privately?

Hmm... I wonder what Ryan Perez has "provided to gaming." Oh, wait, nobody asks that question because he has a Y chromosome and it's not a good question.

Who is Felicia Day and why should we care about what she contributed to gaming or not?

OK, I actually know who she is, but the question stands - how is she connected to video games and all the rest?

Kahunaburger:
Hmm... I wonder what Ryan Perez has "provided to gaming." Oh, wait, nobody asks that question because he has a Y chromosome and it's not a good question.

Yeah, far be it to see anybody EVER being cruel to a man. Not like losing his job for a few dumbass comments, that'd never happen.

Would a female games journalist get fired for saying that? Be it to Day, or any man/woman. Not that I agree with his comments, I neither give a fuck who he is nor what he said, and have just the tiniest inkling of who Felicia Day is. That being said, I've heard this question before, so perhaps it's not one man's issues with sexism.

It's not what you say, is how you said it.

Did he had any validity to his questions? Perhaps. Was he professional about posing these questions? Absolu-fucking-lutely not.

He deserverd to get canned for it, because in lieu of being "the voice of gamers" he was a douche. You can make the same questioning and rise the same topic with much better arguments and without being a dick.

I don't even know who she is, but on his case:
- he did not do it privately
- all companies advise you to not associate yourself with them if you are doing your own public shindig
- but he already did so he should know better
- and he was just a straight up dick

If you want to trash talk do so drunk with your mates, and if you intend to keep your job you do not do it in a professional capacity.

On his personal twitter? That's pretty goddam stupid if you ask me. Firing sounds a bit extreme in this situation, but we know how the video gaming community feels about about women. We can't can't handle anything calmly.

(past 2 months of rape and feminism threads on the escapist)

Cheesepower5:

Kahunaburger:

Yeah, far be it to see anybody EVER being cruel to a man. Not like losing his job for a few dumbass comments, that'd never happen.

Yeah, because getting in hot water over sexist remarks is totally the same as being the target of sexist remarks, guise. (Like, seriously, did anyone call, for instance, Nathan Fillion a "glorified booth babe" for being in and helping to promote a Halo game?)

That's kind of dumb.
Why on earth would you single someone out and be like `justify your existance to me!`.
Sounds like a bit of a prick.

Whether his comments were technically right or not is irrelevant; he was being a dick to her for no reason. It's uncalled for.

And to ask a question that way when you're supposed to be a journalist is completely unprofessional.

Kahunaburger:

Cheesepower5:

Kahunaburger:

Yeah, because getting in hot water over sexist remarks is totally the same as being the target of sexist remarks, guise. (Like, seriously, did anyone call, for instance, Nathan Fillion a "glorified booth babe" for being in and helping to promote a Halo game?)

Prove it was sexist. He never said anything to women, he said it to Felicia Day. Last I checked, Felicia Day is not women.

And okay, I misspoke in my previous post. I didn't mean to imply what's-his-name Perez, was the target of sexism. He's not in hot water because of his gender, it's because of the gender of the person he's speaking to. That's just as bad. It's like dropping two people in a warzone for no reason, and saying to the girl: "Oh yeah, here's your bullet proof armour. You get it because you have a vagina."

Cheesepower5:

Kahunaburger:

Cheesepower5:

Prove it was sexist.

"Why is this woman visible in this industry? Is it just because people find her attractive?" is pretty textbook, and not just for video games.

How about Nolan North? He's pretty visible as a voice actor & is involved in the promotion of games he's in. People apparently find him attractive. Does he ever get shit being an attractive person of his sex participating in the industry?

Cheesepower5:
He's not in hot water because of his gender, it's because of the gender of the person he's speaking to.

Or, more specifically, for making a specific kind of gendered attack that is pretty much only ever used against women. If he wanted to critique marketing strategies that hinge on participation of celebs people find attractive, that's a critique he could have made in a much better way than going after a specific actress as a "glorified booth babe."

I like Destructoid, but this guy is a dick and his comments had no validity. And yes, it is sexist. I wasn't ready to go there until he made the "glorified booth babe" remark.

And for people defending the contents of his remark (even if you admit how he said it was wrong), what makes Felicia Day worth singling out? She's an actress. She's voiced characters in games. She's done a damn good job in some of those (Veronica from New Vegas being a great example). If you have a problem with her in games, then you should also have the same problem with Patrick Stewart or Seth Green. Do you? I highly doubt it. She has a lot more relevancy to gaming than Mr. Perez.

Sexism is a thing. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out when it actually happens. You don't have to tip-toe around the issue when some some douchebag shows his true colors.

And because nobody answered my question, I went crying to Google. To my surprise, I found this article on top. So go and read it because it's by Chuck Wendig. I still didn't get my answers, but I love the dude's writing.

Wait a sec, they fired a guy for asking a question? Has the whole world been P-whipped?

Being a prick or not, he asked a simple question, and because he asked it towards a women everyone got sensitive and Perez became the villain.

I'm sorry, this isn't like when that one sexist and racist DJ called a bunch of women from women's basketball "nappy headed hoes,' this is completely different.

He asked a questions that is honestly on a lot of peoples minds towards a lot of women in gaming. The fact is the industry wants more women involved, but name me a female personality in gaming that isn't "cute" at least and I'll show you the only reason they have their jobs. So the industry is sexist to begin with and firing a man that asked such a simple question is OUTRAGES!

OUT-FUCKING-RAGES!!

I've never understood her popularity either. What's she done? A tertiary role on Buffy, a couple game voiceovers, and a decent web show. Am I forgetting something? I like her just fine, but I've never understood why her presence in something is noteworthy. That said, I don't hold her success against her at all, and this guy's comments are way too aggressive in any case. I don't see him as sexist as much as tactless and rude (except for that booth babe line).

bells:

https://twitter.com/PissedOffRyno/status/219343681575063552

Ahahahaha

Mad detected. Truly this is the way a professional presents himself on social media.

The fact that this is even being debated as being sexist is awful. Of course it is.
I'm pretty sure acting is her medium of choice and and she's well regarded in that and this carries over into voice acting in games, and she's been in a few AAA games sure, but I don't really remember her claiming herself as a major part of the games industry so the comment is completely out of tact.

What an asshole.

And I don't know if any you understand this, but we're in a recession. Getting fired is a very BAD thing, and over a matter like this with this publicity--well, he's probably not going to be able to find a job in the game industry ever again. That is so fucked up in so many ways I don't know how to comment any further.

Now any of you under the age of 18 that would say it was just, if you haven't worked a day in your life or had to deal with unemployment, than you have no right to speak! NONE!

...Wait, what does Felicia Day have to do with gaming in the first place? Aside from The Guild being a show about a fictional WoW guild? She's an actress, for pete's sake, who cares if she's "done anything" for the medium of gaming? She works in a completely different one, and has done plenty for it.

Edit: I mean, it's like complaining that Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick Harris have geek cred, despite not doing much for videogames in particular. In fact, it's a lot like it, since the three were the headliners in Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog.

Nomanslander:
Wait a sec, they fired a guy for asking a question? Has the whole world been P-whipped?

He's (apparently) an intern, man. Pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole. It's very easy for Destructoid to find a new intern who doesn't generate bad publicity for them.

The only things I know about Felicia is she does the voice for one of the Guild Wars 2 characters and appear in this webseries called Web Zeroes but yeah I don't exactly know why she is so well known.
Also no I'm not defending the guy action as there are ways to be not being a dick when asking a question like that.

Many roles. TV mini-star. The Guild (short series), VA work (New Vegas, Guild Wars 2), 10+ years acting history on Imdb. Lot more talent and brains than spiteful shlub.

Hssst. Nature of opinion debatable but irrelevant when failing basic qualification of profession. Suggest he make hats instead. /Mordin

Honestly I dislike Felicia Day's acting. When she showed up in Eureka I didn't watch that either. She's not even that good looking, not sure why people are creaming themselves over her.

Edit: I don't want to be a part of this anymore

i think sexism is wrong(and most -isims)
but an extreme response by the employer to sack the offender doesnt help anyone. he'll probably walk away harbouring more ignorance and hate due to the injustice he no doubt sees he was subjected to.

you can not force tolerance, only hope to show/teach/lead by example.

Kahunaburger:

Cheesepower5:
Prove it was sexist.

"Why is this woman visible in this industry? Is it just because people find her attractive?" is pretty textbook, and not just for video games.

How about Nolan North? He's pretty visible as a voice actor & is involved in the promotion of games he's in. People apparently find him attractive. Does he ever get shit being an attractive person of his sex participating in the industry?

It can also be a valid criticism, like it or not. She's not in the industry and yet people worship her and it makes her unassailable. They can always use sexism as a trump card and it's magically invalid. I'm not saying he's right, I reiterate: I don't give a damn about either of them. But it exists in the industry that women are given status and made to look like something she's not. Not all of them mind you, not even close, but it's still something you should approach with caution, sadly. I blame G4 TV. And Nolan North may have not, but it has been used against men too. As said above, even NPH. And this is the one that get's backlash.

Kahunaburger:

Cheesepower5:
He's not in hot water because of his gender, it's because of the gender of the person he's speaking to.

Or, more specifically, for making a specific kind of gendered attack that is pretty much only ever used against women. If he wanted to critique marketing strategies that hinge on participation of celebs people find attractive, that's a critique he could have made in a much better way than going after a specific actress as a "glorified booth babe."

It wasn't targeted at all female journalists. JUST Felicia Day. It's not an open declaration of war against women, don't make it something bigger than it is. There is no illuminati-level conspiratory control group called the Patriarchy.

Kahunaburger:

Nomanslander:

He's an intern, man. Pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole. It's very easy for Destructoid to find a new intern who doesn't generate bad publicity for them.

More valid reason to fire the guy, but the whole reason it's exploded like this is questionable. He's a douche yeah. But if we're suddenly deciding to fire all douches, why the fuck is it still hard to get a job? I should at least get a chance to prove to them that I'm one before the next hopefuls come along.

Nomanslander:

Being a prick or not, he asked a simple question, and because he asked it towards a women everyone got sensitive and Perez became the villain.

I'm sorry, this isn't like when that one sexist and racist DJ called a bunch of women from women's basketball "nappy headed hoes,' this is completely different.

He asked a questions that is honestly on a lot of peoples minds towards a lot of women in gaming. The fact is the industry wants more women involved, but name me a female personality in gaming that isn't "cute" at least and I'll show you the only reason they have their jobs. So the industry is sexist to begin with and firing a man that asked such a simple question is OUTRAGES!

OUT-FUCKING-RAGES!!

Hope you're kidding (outrages?), but in the event you're not...

Would you care to explain how pulling a "JUSTIFY YOUR EXISTENCE TO ME YOU WORTHLESS BOOTH-BABE!" doesn't carry any sort of sexist undertones to it?

I mean, if this was just one retard on twitter, it wouldn't matter. The point is that he WAS supposed to be a journalist, and journalists are supposed to uphold a certain degree of integrity when communicating with people in the industry they're covering.

He didn't do that, and he was fired because of it.

Saying he was canned for "asking a question" is the same thing as saying the New Orleans Saints are being penalized for "playing football".

EDIT:

Nomanslander:
And I don't know if any you understand this, but we're in a recession. Getting fired is a very BAD thing, and over a matter like this with this publicity--well, he's probably not going to be able to find a job in the game industry ever again. That is so fucked up in so many ways I don't know how to comment any further.

Now any of you under the age of 18 that would say it was just, if you haven't worked a day in your life or had to deal with unemployment, than you have no right to speak! NONE!

So he gets a free license to act like a fuckwit just because the economy's bad? Sure, that sounds about right. /sarcasm

I do work (at a library, at the moment). You know what would happen to me if I acted like this idiot at my job? I'd get fired, and deservedly so. That's how things work.

Don't want to act like a professional? Well you're not going to BE a fucking professional, then.

Could ask him the exact same thing, I mean what HAS he done for gaming? Would the gaming industry seriously be any different if another bloody games journalist, never became a games journalist?

Then ask yourself, would the games industry be any different if a huge internet personality/actress never got involved in doing what she does? Maybe not, but it's far more likely.

Not that I'm a huge fan of her work, it seems "eh" at best. Can't really understand why she is as popular as she is, her acting, and voice acting, always sounded a little stale to me. Not what I'm expect from a professional. But that's sort of true for nearly all American actors.

Phasmal:
That's kind of dumb.
Why on earth would you single someone out and be like `justify your existance to me!`.
Sounds like a bit of a prick.

Pretty much this.

This thread was the first I've heard of the situation, but it sounds like the guy just decided to be a complete asshole for no reason.

EDIT: If said asshole really wanted to know what Felicia Day has to do with video games, he might have tried this. I knew to try this, and I'm not even a journalist.

Mr Ink 5000:
but an extreme response by the employer to sack the offender doesnt help anyone. he'll probably walk away harbouring more ignorance and hate due to the injustice he no doubt sees he was subjected to.

Firing him help's Destructoid's image, or it at least prevents a black mark to their image. They lost next to nothing in firing him, as this guy was an intern and hadn't contributed anything of note other than a sexist question on Twitter.

They're not firing him to teach him a lesson. They're firing him because he publicly made an ass of himself and, by proxy, the company he worked for.

DustyDrB:

Mr Ink 5000:

Firing him help's Destructoid's image, or it at least prevents a black mark to their image. They lost next to nothing in firing him, as this guy was an intern and hadn't contributed anything of note other than a sexist question on Twitter.

They're not firing him to teach him a lesson. They're firing him because he publicly made an ass of himself and, by proxy, the company he worked for.

i understand that side of it, good publicity etc etc. but to clarify, i meant this doesnt really help the battle gainst sexism.
CAPCHA: i like you

Why would she do anything "useful" to gaming? The last time I checked she's an actress and doesn't work in the gaming industry.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked