The Felicia Day/Destructoid situation

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 22 NEXT

Evan Waters:

Here's a question. Why does she HAVE to prove any kind of True Gamer Cred to anyone? Would it be so wrong if her perceived geekiness were just a foot in the door to an acting career? What damage would be done? This isn't a church, or a political party, we don't need to look for wolves in sheep's clothing.

That's kind of the topic at hand. Many people see her as doing this. We usually couldn't care less. If it's okay to use her "perceived geekiness" as "a foot in the door to an acting career", then what's wrong with calling her out on it? If she's willing to use gamer stereotypes in her favor, then why is it when someone uses them against her they are suddenly sexist?

Evan Waters:
Seriously, the woman is being criticized for becoming famous within a specific subculture and using that niche to get work. The acting business is, in case you haven't noticed, RIDICULOUSLY competitive, and focusing on a niche to sell yourself is probably the least unethical way to get ahead in it short of being discovered at a laundromat.

This thread seems to have turned in to her fans vs people that hate her, and completely ignoring the Destructoid situation. The issue is here is whether or not Ryan Perez' question had merit to it: I think by your own words it does. Felicia Day isn't some nice little girl that the internet pushed from obscurity into the lime light, she is an opportunistic girl that's used a niche demographic for her own advantage. As such, she should be prepared, and deserves to be asked, questions that aren't always going to be flattering.

MrMorphine:
Recently Destructoid writer Ryan Perez made a couple comments about Felicia Day on his Twitter account

''Ryan's questions to Felicia were as follows: "I keep seeing [you] everywhere. Question: Do you matter at all? Do you even provide anything useful to gaming, besides "personality?" could you be considered nothing more than a glorified booth babe? You don't seem to add anything creative to the medium."''

Following total uproar Ryan was pressured into resigning from his position with Destructoid as D-toid issued apologies to Miss Day. Other figures such as Adam Baldwin and Wil Wheaton have come out in support of Felicia. But quite frankly...isn't he right? What of substance has she contributed to the gaming medium?

While some of his comments could be interpreted as insulting he made a valid point that much of the gaming community has echoed previously. And besides that,it was his private Twitter which was in no way associated with D-toid and he never claimed he spoke for D-toid. People now flock to his Twitter, calling him ''sick'' and a ''misogynist'' (the latter is quite confusing as he never made any comment that was anti-woman,simply anti-Day). Does a man deserve to lose his job for some opinions he holds privately?

What obligation does Felicia Day have to "provide anything useful"? What obligation do YOU have? What obligation does anyone have? And does anyone do it for free?

My answer is none and no. In that order respectively. Just because someone becomes well-known or 'famous' doesn't mean they now have some kind of responsibility to better 'gaming'. . .

What a silly notion. Where did it come from?

I can safely say I've never heard of this Ryan guy. That means, from my perspective Felicia has done more than he has. She has provided entertainment. He apparently is just a random jerk.

Kahunaburger:

Cheesepower5:

Kahunaburger:

Not analogous. Notice how that sort of criticism didn't involve terminology like "glorified booth babe," and didn't involve raging at them for being visible in gaming at all.

I doubt it would, as I've never seen a male "booth babe."

Precisely. This type of criticism is generally not leveled at men involved in games, and when it is, it is not presented in a way that belittles the men in an explicitly gendered way.

Gender specific isn't gender hating. It's not sexism it's... Well, it's just ignorant.

Kahunaburger:

Cheesepower5:
Public Service Announcement: Don't call shit like this sexist kids! It totally undermines the meaning when you use it on REAL sexists like Rush Limbaugh or the Islamic extremists.

Let's put it this way: I can assure you (based on past experience) that it sucks to get hit in the face with a hockey stick. It also sucks (but not as much) when I stub my toe. The fact that stubbing my toe is not as painful as getting hit in the face with a hockey stick doesn't mean I don't avoid stubbing my toe where possible.

I would totally respect that if all this righteous outrage was just keeping yourself, or just keeping anyone from being hurt. But all it did was get an apologetic guy who fucked up out one career and "saved" someone who didn't need saving. All the evidence I've seen seems to indicate that Felicia Day took it as someone as reasonable as she seems should: In stride. It didn't bring her down.

And now all I see on the interwebs is accusations of sexism and a few things that legitimately deserve it. I find it frustrating, is all. I'm sure you can understand that, since in all likelihood that's why you get such a negative reaction out of trolls. To some people shitstorms are just shitstorms and to some people trolls are just trolls.

Veldt Falsetto:

Evan Waters:

Veldt Falsetto:

I agree with your Chobot thing, Felicia is actually an actress so it's all fair enough but honestly, questioning famous composers about what they've done for films is completely different from asking an actress who is treated like a gaming celebrity even though she has very little to do with the actual industry.

So, composers contribute to their industry but performers don't? Odd line to draw there.

She's been in..what 1 set of DLC for 1 game? Ok then, it's like asking an extra in a film what they contribute.

No, it's like asking an ACTOR what they contribute. Voice acting is acting even if it's one role in one game. THAT IS A CONTRIBUTION. John Cazale was in a handful of films before he died of cancer. He contributed to the world of film.

Serious, she's a film and tv actress, the only reason she is a gaming celebrity is because she likes them and she's a girl.

AND because of The Guild, which is the thing that got her noticed. Which is about a bunch of people playing a game. So there's that.

LordOfInsanity:
This all is really rather stupid. Instead of smart, informative comments to give this Mr. Perez guy an understanding about Felicia Day, you all go 'Sexist Misogynistic Pig' on the guy. Which in turns makes you all look like sexist misandristic behavior.

I hear a lot about Felicia Day, but do I know anything about her? No. And if I asked her that, or anyone else, I expect to be enlightened. Because yes, in some aspects, someone that knows nothing will see her as a 'glorified booth babe' as he says. If I didn't know anything about Nathan Fillon, I'd call him a 'glorified booth dude'. But I know some things about him, so I really can't.

Instead of getting him fired, which ultimately was an overreacted response, he should have been given all the information regarding what Felicia Day has done.

Quite disgusting how it was handled.

I agree with you.

You know what we shouldn't do to people who call others names?

Call them names.

Fighting fire with fire makes us all look like retards. I'm pretty sure everyone thinks negatively about at least ONE person on the planet. I'm pretty sure we've been guilty of "attacking" someone we disagree with, so stop acting like we're above it.

People can't have a negative opinion these days without rustling everyone jimmies. Such is the internet hate machine.

mindlesspuppet:

So good job pointing out Felicia Day is an actress. Ever think she's acting like a gamer because she's not attractive enough to be a leading lady and not talented enough to be a dramatic actress?

Nope. First she pretty hot. But then that is subjective as you pointed out...

And why would she "act" like a gamer?

And WTF is a "gamer"?

Is someone who plays games a "gamer"? Felicia Day plays games.

People don't get their "jimmies rustled" over Tricia Helfer being doing game voices and being at expos either, because she doesn't try to act like she's "one of us".

Excuse me? "One of us"? Why would she want to pretend to be anything like you?

Is it the attitude of "gamers" to exclude people on the basis of some pre-conceived notion of what a gamer "is" or "isn't"? I was under the impression that being a gamer was a fucking hobby. You know, something that you can have different levels of commitment to like golf or rock-climbing?

Apparently mindlesspuppet gets to decide who's a gamer or not...

If you're a fair and accurate representation of "gamers" then I don't want to be a "gamer".

Cheesepower5:
I would totally respect that if all this righteous outrage was just keeping yourself, or just keeping anyone from being hurt.

Using a toe stubbing analogy, here's what happened:

1. A Destructroid intern stubs his toe.
2. ITT, some people say "that guy sure stubbed his toe!"
3. Also ITT, some people say "that guy didn't stub his toe! It doesn't count as toe stubbing unless there's blood everywhere!"

FelixG:

Kahunaburger:

mindlesspuppet:
Ever think she's acting like a gamer because she's not attractive enough to be a leading lady and not talented enough to be a dramatic actress?

("Okay, Vin Diesel, you claim to be a D&D player, so answer me this: as a 10th level 3.5 character using only materials provided in the PHB, MM, and DMG, how do you break the wish economy? You have one minute to answer.")

Ahem, it is simple, wish allows you to wish for any magical item, it does not put a GP limit on it while it is specific in how expensive a NONmagical item can be, thus you can use a wish to gain an item of unlimited wishes. Thank you.

Though...yeah...the guy you are quoting...should really just stop talking.

My sentiments exactly haha.

mindlesspuppet:
Felicia Day isn't some nice little girl that the internet pushed from obscurity into the lime light, she is an opportunistic girl that's used a niche demographic for her own advantage.

Here's a hint- SO HAS EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS BUSINESS.

THAT IS HOW YOU SUCCEED. YOU CREATE OPPORTUNITIES. YOU DO NOT WAIT AROUND FOR THEM.

That doesn't make her unethical or not "nice" or some kind of manipulative bitch. She's probably a decent person who got some celebrity because of The Guild and Dr. Horrible and has leveraged that into more work, some of it in the video game world because The Guild is about an MMO and she seems genuinely interested in games so why not?

Seriously. What wrong is being done? What does she need to answer for?

Evan Waters:

Veldt Falsetto:

Evan Waters:

So, composers contribute to their industry but performers don't? Odd line to draw there.

She's been in..what 1 set of DLC for 1 game? Ok then, it's like asking an extra in a film what they contribute.

No, it's like asking an ACTOR what they contribute. Voice acting is acting even if it's one role in one game. THAT IS A CONTRIBUTION. John Cazale was in a handful of films before he died of cancer. He contributed to the world of film.

Serious, she's a film and tv actress, the only reason she is a gaming celebrity is because she likes them and she's a girl.

AND because of The Guild, which is the thing that got her noticed. Which is about a bunch of people playing a game. So there's that.

Yes, she has contributed to gaming but in Dragon Age 2, she contributed to 1 DLC in 1 game and while that may be a contribution I still think my extra thing is apt as I'm sure some extras have more screentime than Felicia has had time acting in a game and therefore must contribute more to their medium, right?

Also The Guild doesn't contribute to gaming, it's ABOUT gaming but only as a plot device, that's like saying a drama about a fictional football team contributes to the sport.

mindlesspuppet:

Nathan Fillion doesn't pimp himself out to gamers, quite the opposite in fact, he tends to tell us to shut up from time to time.

I seem to recall various interviews leading up to ODST where Nathan Fillion was talking about how much he enjoyed Halo. If our fictional Natasha Fillion (famous for her portrayal of Captain Malorie Reynolds of Firefly) said the same thing, tears of rage would (apparently) have been shed.

mindlesspuppet:
That's kind of the topic at hand. Many people see her as doing this. We usually couldn't care less. If it's okay to use her "perceived geekiness" as "a foot in the door to an acting career", then what's wrong with calling her out on it? If she's willing to use gamer stereotypes in her favor, then why is it when someone uses them against her they are suddenly sexist?

This thread seems to have turned in to her fans vs people that hate her, and completely ignoring the Destructoid situation. The issue is here is whether or not Ryan Perez' question had merit to it: I think by your own words it does. Felicia Day isn't some nice little girl that the internet pushed from obscurity into the lime light, she is an opportunistic girl that's used a niche demographic for her own advantage. As such, she should be prepared, and deserves to be asked, questions that aren't always going to be flattering.

how do you actually know this? this seems more like an interpretation on your part

and the fact is its plain as day that this was NOT a legit question...it was a sarcastic rhtorical question with the sole purpose of being an ass...and the guy was an ass, did he deserve what he got? I don't know, probably not

eather way a guy said somthing stupid, made a terrible mistake. things like twitter can have the power to fuck things up as weve seen here...but Its silly to try and dress it up as "a legitimate question"

if I say to somone "are you fucking retarded?" <-am I actually geniunly curious as to weather or not they have an intullectual disability?

the "sexism" part comes from the "implication" or the "idea" that "any female in the gaming biz is OBVIOUSYL just there for her looks" <-which came through in the comment

All I know about her is that she had some Dragon Age 2 DLC (but who gives a crap about that game anyway?) and that she did some video game related skits. Other than that, I haven't heard of her contributing anything important to gaming. -shrug-

Personally I don't see why people are obsessing over her. Perhaps because she's kinda cute and has tits?

One:

mindlesspuppet:

So good job pointing out Felicia Day is an actress. Ever think she's acting like a gamer because she's not attractive enough to be a leading lady and not talented enough to be a dramatic actress?

Ahahaahahaha....

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.....

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*cough*

You're right man, like really... Or are you? I think you're just acting like you hate Felicia! Or maybe you're acting like someone who's acting like they hate Felicia! Maybe everyone here actually fucking hates video games, and they're just acting like they do! Maybe I'm not really human, and I'm just a lizard acting like a man!

....No, but seriously, do you think before you type?

Certainly celebrities never take on a public persona to garner a specific audience, I'm sure that never happens... But way to comment with no real insight, argument, or anything of value.

Moonlight Butterfly:
snip...

You are just assuming she is 'acting' like one of us. Male celebrity gamers don't seem to have to prove themselves so why should female gamers.

The same thing happened with Aisha Tyler when she presented for Ubisoft at E3

I'm sorry, but what male gamers for example? Most the time male gamers don't have to "prove themselves" because that's pretty much the first thing they did to gain notoriety.

If Yahtzee, Jim Sterling, Toby Turner, TotalBiscuit etc didn't make it painfully apparent they are gamers in the first place no one would know who they are. Hell, it was one of the first things Nathan Barnatt did before the crazy dance videos and he really didn't need to.

What has Ryan Perez contributed to journalism? I have no idea, but if he hadn't contributed anything to his job I am sure he would haev been fired before now.

His question was stupid. If she can make money doingwhat she does then what does it matter what she has contributed. If no one wants to watch whatever she does (I've only seen the guild and her dragon age videos nad I enjoyed both) then she will stop being ale to do her projects.

Ryan, people are onyl relevant if everyone else makes them relevant.

Kahunaburger:

Cheesepower5:
I would totally respect that if all this righteous outrage was just keeping yourself, or just keeping anyone from being hurt.

3. Also ITT, some people say "that guy didn't stub his toe! It doesn't count as toe stubbing unless there's blood everywhere!"

Still not sure I follow. Who's saying what.

It's more like, Ryan Perez-Hilton over there stubbed Felicia Day's toe, so then they... hit him in the face with a hockey stick. And the their privates are a big part of their discussion for little reason. Like, maybe Ryan Paris Hilton hates Felicia Day for her privates, or maybe he just said something dumb because that's what alcohol does. Makes people focus on private parts. What was I talking about again?

Phasmal:
That's kind of dumb.
Why on earth would you single someone out and be like `justify your existance to me!`.
Sounds like a bit of a prick.

Basically this, just seems like someone jealous of her fame.

Cheesepower5:
No, but it should constitute something that is demeaning to the gender as a whole and not just, you know, Felicia Day.

His comments imply that a well known female who also happens to like and contribute to the gaming community has to be doing something special and be more than just a girl who likes games, otherwise they are obviously only there for sex appeal, and you don't see what's sexist about that?

His questions were directed at the individual personally yes, but the nature and presentation of the questions shows a much uglier attitude to women in the gaming community in general.

Cheesepower5:
Is this so complicated? He wasn't acting like the cunt you guys are making him out to be, he was clearly some form of lesser cunt. He insulted Wheaton, nobody gives a fuck. You ignore this and say he targets women exclusively, but clearly his issues extend far beyond just women.

Who are these "guys" that you speak of. As far as I know nobody formed any kind of 'Internet White Knighting Alliance', and if they did I'm certainly not part of it. My opinions on what he said are my own. I'm not part of any gang conspiring to present a false image of this guy.

Also, on the contrary, I do, personally, care that he insulted Wheaton. What he wrote was mean-spirited and pathetic to say the least. I never denied it or tried to claim he was attacking women "exclusively", it just wasn't part of the issue I took up with you. That said while his comments towards Wheadon were shitty, they were made while on the defensive, rather than his comments towards Day which just came right the fuck out of nowhere with no provocation, and no language was used that implied disrespect towards Wheadon because of his gender. So, while both were bad, it not entirely accurate to say that they were both the same.

Cheesepower5:
If I had to venture a guess, he's probably a bitter "hardcoar gamur" who hates fake gamers in general. It doesn't all boil down to your black and white world of EVIL SEXIST PIGS and GOOD CHIVALROUS GUYS LIKE ME. People who do this shit are just trying to feel better about themselves.

If that was his motivation then it doesn't make what he said any less sexist, it just makes him doubly ignorant fro attacking her as an example of a "fake" gamer, when just 5 minutes of research (something you'd kind of expect a journalist to be practiced in doing whether what they were asking was part of their work or not) would have told him that she is a genuinely big fan of the industry, and has done a fair bit of work within it.

Please don't patronize me, and more importantly please don't blatantly misrepresent what I say in order to pigeon-hole me into a group that I don't belong to (if it even exists). I never claimed I was a shining beacon of chivalry, nor did I claim that everyone who doesn't think like I do is a chauvinistic pig. But when people insult other people through their gender, that does make them guilty of sexism, no matter how they might see their own 'motivations'.

Those people "trying to feel better about themselves" is not an excuse. For example, if my house had just been robbed and I was feeling bitter, and chose to take it out on a random black guy in the street who I noticed had nice shoes, inquiring who he stole them from, am I being racist? You bet I am. It doesn't matter that I don't really think all black people a thieves. It doesn't matter that I was only trying to make myself feel better, and wouldn't have said it if I was in a good mood. Racist comments are racist, and sexist comments are sexist. The fact that he 'didn't really mean it' if that is the case, doesn't wash. When someone is showing examples of unfair prejudice, never mind why, they should be called out as such. When someone who's job it is to be fair and unbiased, as well as searching, in their questions, is guilty of said prejudice, even outside of their work, then they can't be trusted to do their job properly. When people can't be trusted to do their job properly, they shouldn't expect to keep it.

Veldt Falsetto:

Evan Waters:

Veldt Falsetto:

Yes, she has contributed to gaming but in Dragon Age 2, she contributed to 1 DLC in 1 game and while that may be a contribution I still think my extra thing is apt as I'm sure some extras have more screentime than Felicia has had time acting in a game and therefore must contribute more to their medium, right?

Well, for the record, I don't go on Twitter and say "What has Extra X contributed to the world of film? Justify your existence!"

Also, voice acting is more performing than extra-ing. There's a significant difference. Just ask SAG.

Also The Guild doesn't contribute to gaming, it's ABOUT gaming but only as a plot device, that's like saying a drama about a fictional football team contributes to the sport.

But doesn't it? I mean, I'm fairly sure a lot of basketball coaches have taken just the slightest bit of inspiration from Gene Hackman in Hoosiers.

Well he was a dick, but he's kinda right. "Nerds" put her on a pedastel because she's "into" video games and doesn't have any major appearance flaws.

mindlesspuppet:

I'm sorry, but what male gamers for example? Most the time male gamers don't have to "prove themselves" because that's pretty much the first thing they did to gain notoriety.

If Yahtzee, Jim Sterling, Toby Turner, TotalBiscuit etc didn't make it painfully apparent they are gamers in the first place no one would know who they are. Hell, it was one of the first things Nathan Barnatt did before the crazy dance videos and he really didn't need to.

Oh really? Because when I saw the first Jim Sterling or a Yahtzee video I didn't know anything about him? They are just some guy on the internet they could tell you anything. For all you know they could just be looking stuff up on google! They could be just getting someone else to write the reviews!!! (Being sarcastic obviously)

Felicia Day has made it clear she is a gamer so the only problem is whether you believe her or not and clearly you don't just because she happens to have boobs.

Evan Waters:

DigitalAtlas:

Elamdri:

Well, if we ignore the premise that her show about gaming doesn't actually add anything to gaming (Which is wrong btw, but there is an easier way to deconstruct this argument), she is in fact "Adding to any specific game" because she is in fact a voice actor for multiple games.

But the voice acting came BECAUSE of her fandom videos. Not before. She didn't WANT to be a voice-actor. They just thought it'd be a cool cameo because she's everywhere and gets worshiped yet does nothing.

Except, you know, act, and write an entire web series and such.

Here's a question. Why does she HAVE to prove any kind of True Gamer Cred to anyone? Would it be so wrong if her perceived geekiness were just a foot in the door to an acting career? What damage would be done? This isn't a church, or a political party, we don't need to look for wolves in sheep's clothing.

What kind of criteria does she need to produce? What business is it of Ryan Perez?

Seriously, the woman is being criticized for becoming famous within a specific subculture and using that niche to get work. The acting business is, in case you haven't noticed, RIDICULOUSLY competitive, and focusing on a niche to sell yourself is probably the least unethical way to get ahead in it short of being discovered at a laundromat.

Who cares about any of that? The question is, what has she done for gaming? Entertain fellow players. That's it. She doesn't need to be everywhere and worshiped and treated like "Well, if Felicia Day says it's wrong, then I'm going to complain too!" as the other person who responded to me post said.

Elamdri:
SNIP

Besides what I said above, I'm honestly not going any deeper into responding to this. Getting a bunch of people to join a movement because they like a celebrity is idol worship bullcrap and is no different than blindly following a religion, and if you truly believe that it's worth it, you're slowing the medium's progression down and making it so we're going to have nothing but "safe" products as opposed to works of actual art.

Evan Waters:

Veldt Falsetto:

Evan Waters:

Well, for the record, I don't go on Twitter and say "What has Extra X contributed to the world of film? Justify your existence!"

Also, voice acting is more performing than extra-ing. There's a significant difference. Just ask SAG.

Oh no, I don't agree with what the guy did, I just don't think what he said would or should have any impact on anyone, maybe Felicia could feel a bit hurt about the thing and sure being fired from Destructoid is fine, that's all his stupid fault but our outrage is ridiculous

and some extras have voices, and a lot of work, it all depends on the scope but I don't think she's done much at all for gaming except get a lot of fans for doing very little

But doesn't it? I mean, I'm fairly sure a lot of basketball coaches have taken just the slightest bit of inspiration from Gene Hackman in Hoosiers.

I don't think so, maybe a few people can take something from it but honestly, that impact lessens even more in The Guild's case unless any MMOs have been made or changed entrely because of a comment in a webseries

At face value I don't see much wrong in those statements. If he slightly reworded all of the statements I think he would be absolutely fine. However, judging from the rest of Ryan Perez's Twitter messages, I'm going to assume he didn't just forget to carefully craft his words to more accurately get his point across.

EDIT: Looking at the comments again, he's asking Felicia to justify her existence. Yeah, that's pretty dick-ish. However, I see the non-dick point under his comments.

DigitalAtlas:

Evan Waters:

DigitalAtlas:

But the voice acting came BECAUSE of her fandom videos. Not before. She didn't WANT to be a voice-actor. They just thought it'd be a cool cameo because she's everywhere and gets worshiped yet does nothing.

Except, you know, act, and write an entire web series and such.

What kind of criteria does she need to produce? What business is it of Ryan Perez?

Who cares about any of that? The question is, what has she done for gaming? Entertain fellow players. That's it. She doesn't need to be everywhere and worshiped and treated like "Well, if Felicia Day says it's wrong, then I'm going to complain too!" as the other person who responded to me post said.

So... if she doesn't need to justify herself, where does Ryan Perez get off demanding that she justify herself?

I don't idolize her or anything. She has been in some stuff that I thought was good. The reason I think Perez is being a total asshole here is not because of the specialness of Felicia Day but because that kind of shit doesn't fly when you do it to anyone. If it takes a legion of Twitter followers for an asshole to learn a lesson, well, so be it. I'm not going to cry about unfair treatment.

Cheesepower5:

Kahunaburger:

Cheesepower5:

Still not sure I follow. Who's saying what.

It's more like, Ryan Perez-Hilton over there stubbed Felicia Day's toe, so then they... hit him in the face with a hockey stick. And the their privates are a big part of their discussion for little reason. Like, maybe Ryan Paris Hilton hates Felicia Day for her privates, or maybe he just said something dumb because that's what alcohol does. Makes people focus on private parts. What was I talking about again?

Okay, so with no analogies:

The point is not that discussing a particular sexist action retroactively prevents that action. The point is that discussing a particular sexist action allows us to determine what went wrong in this instance and what can be done in the future to avoid further such instances. This is true regardless of whether the sexist action in question could have theoretically been worse.

mindlesspuppet:

So you're saying that anyone who isn't immediately identifiable as a "gamer" must "prove themselves" before talking about or working in games?

AND if that person doesn't meet your arbitrary, meaningless and completely opaque standards you or people like you are going to ask "questions".

DigitalAtlas:

I'm sorry but if you can't see how contributing to gaming culture enriches the medium of gaming itself, then my friend you cannot see the forest for the trees. As it stands, Felicia Day is a gaming celebrity and as such, she has a lot of power. She has the power to mobilize people. If you don't think that being able to mobilize people is important, go ask John McCain. He'll explain it to you.

"I keep seeing [you] everywhere. Question: Do you matter at all? Do you even provide anything useful to gaming, besides "personality?" could you be considered nothing more than a glorified booth babe? You don't seem to add anything creative to the medium."

That alone is enough for me to see the firing as totally justified no matter who it was aimed at since he was doing it representative of the company in a professional sense.

And there are surely strong sexist overtones in that. I mean... how willfully blind to it would you have to be ignorant to it...?

Moonlight Butterfly:

mindlesspuppet:

Oh really? Because when I saw the first Jim Sterling or a Yahtzee video I didn't know anything about him? They are just some guy on the internet they could tell you anything. For all you know they could just be looking stuff up on google! They could be just getting someone else to write the reviews!!! (Being sarcastic obviously)

Felicia Day has made it clear she is a gamer so the only problem is whether you believe her or not and clearly you don't just because she happens to have boobs.

May have missed the point. You likely would have never seen Jim Sterling or Yahtzee if, as I already said, they didn't prove themselves to begin with. Maybe when you saw them for the first time you didn't know what to make of them, but that doesn't mean they hadn't been at it for sometime. Many were first exposed to them here on The Escapist, but they had been doing their thing long before that.

How exactly has Felicia Day made it clear shes a gamer? People keep saying this, and acting like The Guild is some kind of proof, but it's not. Gaming is simply the situational basis for a comedy in The Guild, much in the way that actually Fantasy Football is a situational basis for the comedy in The League.

I love how so many people are quick to jump on Ryan Perez as sexist and then say this sort of trite "the only problem is whether you believe her or not and clearly you don't just because she happens to have boobs," with no regard. First of all, Felicia Day has boobs like your average teenage boy has boobs. Secondly, just no, I have issue with her specifically, not an issue with all females prominent in gaming culture.

Veldt Falsetto:

Evan Waters:

Veldt Falsetto:

Oh no, I don't agree with what the guy did, I just don't think what he said would or should have any impact on anyone, maybe Felicia could feel a bit hurt about the thing and sure being fired from Destructoid is fine, that's all his stupid fault but our outrage is ridiculous

and some extras have voices, and a lot of work, it all depends on the scope but I don't think she's done much at all for gaming except get a lot of fans for doing very little

An extra is a nonspeaking role by definition. You're thinking of bit players, which isn't really a technical term, but even then, hey, everyone can be important. I don't see why we have to denigrate everyone.

As for "doing very little", how many web series have you written and starred in? I mean, that is a thing. It is a big thingy.

Dirzzit:
Well he was a dick, but he's kinda right. "Nerds" put her on a pedastel because she's "into" video games and doesn't have any major appearance flaws.

how is he right? she's not responisble if other people put her on a pedstal...and ASIDE from that why does she need to justify her existance to anyone? as much as I hate to say it I think gener plays a role in this

and again, it wasnt a legit question, it was an insult, plain and simple

V8 Ninja:
At face value I don't see much wrong in those statements. Reword the "Do you matter at all?" statement and I think the statement is fine. I could easily see this as mistaken implications from everybody. However, judging from the rest of Ryan Perez's Twitter messages, I'm going to assume he didn't just forget to carefully craft his words to more accurately get his point across.

at face vaule it kind of implies "women are only in the gming biz because they are attractive"

but ASIDE from that its a real dick move to go around and say "justify yourself to me!"..regardless of weather or not its motivated by gender

How is posting it on Twitter for all the world to see "private"?

Anyway, fool didn't know how the game works. It's career suicide.

mindlesspuppet:

May have missed the point. You likely would have never seen Jim Sterling or Yahtzee if, as I already said, they didn't prove themselves to begin with. Maybe when you saw them for the first time you didn't know what to make of them, but that doesn't mean they hadn't been at it for sometime. Many were first exposed to them here on The Escapist, but they had been doing their thing long before that.

How exactly has Felicia Day made it clear shes a gamer?

If someone says they're a gamer, I generally don't question them on this assertion, any more than if they claim they're a big fan of Duran Duran or that they really like fudge. Life is too short to care about these things.

Do we have any evidence that she's NOT? If you're calling her manipulative and have "an issue with her" I would hope you have more evidence for her deceitfulness than a vague feeling.

TAdamson:

mindlesspuppet:

So you're saying that anyone who isn't immediately identifiable as a "gamer" must "prove themselves" before talking about or working in games?

AND if that person doesn't meet your arbitrary, meaningless and completely opaque standards you or people like you're get to ask "questions".

I don't want to put words into this particular guy's mouth, but there is a general trend you see in some parts of the "gaming community" where they essentially see people who don't immediately come off as "nerdy" (as defined by various arbitrary behavior/appearance markers) as intruders until proven otherwise. This makes about as much sense to me as readers getting mad at people who read books and don't wear glasses.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked