Franchises that had promise, but "died" before their time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Freelancer. Though we did get the Discovery Mod.

Look789ingGlass:
I enjoyed Oni, and have played it through several times, but I've always felt that it needed a sequel to really show us what it could be, given the proper time and care.

Ninja'd. We need at least one more Oni game.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

It had an amazing universe, and the ending villain is my favorite end boss of all time, because he has an unique viewpoint, and tries to convince you to believe him. And you can, if you want to.

It's pretty much the most open-ended RPG I have ever played in my life, and also my favorite game of all time.

Sadly, Troika went bankrupt, and never finished the sequel that was in early stages of development.

I'd sell my soul for Arcanum 2.

Maybe debateable, but Shadow Hearts. First one was my favourite game for a good chunk of my life despite the graphics, I actually skipped school just to get the second one and the third was... well, it had enough nostalgia value that I could just blaze ahead.

But it ended and it makes me sad that a world where Cthulu could meet Al Capone and a Ninja who thinks sticking a sword hilt to a cactus makes a cactus sword wasn't deemed worthy of more attention :(

Evil Genius damnit!

oplinger:
...Advent Rising had a lot of promise.

Absolutely agreed. They had a whole plan involving comics, PSP tie ins, a trilogy and the rest. Was a brilliant story, a very good game (I loved the way the dual wielding thing worked) but for whatever reason it was cast aside and forgotten leaving a monumental cliffhanger at the end.

pilouuuu:
Alpha Protocol

Also agreed. Great RPG but with a share of flaws. Linear design and stupid checkpoints, hacking minigame and sometimes bizzare controls, poorly optimised for a PC and very bizarre AI, but a wonderfully crafted story dynamically affected by the player, interesting gameplay, cool weapons and upgrades and great characters mean it hasn't left my hard drive since release. Bloody Sega washed their hands of it 5 minutes after release. A sequel with flaws ironed out and the strengths worked on would be a critical and commercial blockbuster.

everythingbeeps:
BloodRayne.

Great choice. Don't know if the "franchise is dead" really, just quiet for a few years, like Thief/Hitman/Deus Ex. Would love a next-gen title on a future console, not on this generation. Will be worth the wait.

Clearing the Eye:
Mass Effect, for me.

Errr what? Dude this is a successful and very mainstream franchise that is not only alive, but continuing to get DLC releases with tie-ins and future titles on the cards. It's not even close to dead.

StraightToHeck:
Kingdoms of Amalur.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...oh wait, you're serious? Let me laugh louder...HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Couldn't play this for more than 5-6 hours. As bland, uninteresting, uninspired and boring as it's possible to make a game. It's no surprise the studio went under if it took 50+ million dollars to create it. This is one franchise that deserves to stay dead.

Beautiful End:
Megaman Legends and Legend of Dragoon. Both were pretty awesome, had amazing gameplay and a cool story. The graphics and voice acting could have got better with time considering both came out around the time both cool graphics and good voice acting was barely getting the deserved attention.

And here we are. *Sigh*

I, for one, believe that all Megaman series need more sequels. It is literally a series/formula that I will never tire of.

I especially want another ZX game.. the ending of ZX Advent was such a sequel hook... I need more :(

York_Beckett:
Call of Cthulhu

I really enjoyed Dark Corners of the Earth, and it would've been great to see the planned, yet canned sequels.

This, however, now we have Amnesia: The Dark Descent and soon it's sequel. Also the Penumbra series.

KingsGambit:

Clearing the Eye:
Mass Effect, for me.

Errr what? Dude this is a successful and very mainstream franchise that is not only alive, but continuing to get DLC releases with tie-ins and future titles on the cards. It's not even close to dead.

You edited out the part of my post that explained my reasoning.

"I must have played at least a thousand hours of the first in the series upon its release and loved the hell out of every second. But then the sequel came out and I was severely disappointed. I've yet to play the third, though it looks to be much the same.

So, in a sense, the series I loved lasted all of one game."

The Oddworld series. Although I hear that it is being picked back up again and there might be new games :D

*fingers crossed*

Even though they had a sequel, id have to say Dungeon Keeper, i liked how it was dark but the element that you're playing the VILLAIN, it was pretty unique for a RTS-like title, you research things by shoving monsters into libraries -or- you could steal other Keeper's libraries to steal their research.

They had a single sequel...then i think Bullfrog and it's assets/IPs got bought out by EA, now as of recently the only modern rendition of the franchise is some Chinese MMO...or something.

Oni. Y'see, I've been playing fighting games on PC all my life. I'm good at them. I often heard the argument that the game didn't work because the fighting was wonky because it wasn't a console game, and I very thoroughly disagree.
Opinions and assholes though.

Megaman Franchise. Especially Megaman X series. You have a sci-fi setting with self aware robots. Protagonist is like Gandalf on steroids FFS

What does Capcom do?Remake a fifteen year old side-scroller with little to no change to gameplay.

*Faceplam*

Psychonauts - they really could go anywhere with the central premise, and I would like to see more mental landscapes

Brutal Legend - So much potential lost due to executive meddling. I would love to see Shafer use all of that scrapped content and story

Quest For Glory - The result of mixing a non-linear adventure game and RPG's in a small, but dense semi-sandbox. If only the Cole's could get the rights back from Activision.

Overlord- We really do not get enough fantasy games where you play the villain, especially funny ones. Overlord 2 killed the series.

OddWorld - killed by Stranger's Wrath, which strangely enough was a good game.

Loom - this game only gave the player a glimpse of what seemed to be an uttering enchanting world. Too bad a sequel was never made.

Furioso:
Banjo Kazooie. They made 2 amazing games and it looked like it would continue with Banjo Threeie, there was even a trailer and some screenshots.... but then they just came out with Nuts & Bolts. Now I actually LIKED Nuts and Bolts, but they made it oh so obvious that Banjo as we knew it was dead

I am actually playing through that one right now. I am liking it but sometimes I get the feeling that the game was pretty much designed to incense the fan-base.

Tanis:
Glover Studio games.

Viewtiful Joe
God Hand
Okami

Okami 2 would be a godsend.

I'm not sure if I can call Resident Evil yet or not but unless God pulled some miracle and brought back Shinji Mikami and Hideki Kamiya to the RE games I don't see them getting any better, just worse.

I would like to see a remake of Anachronox and the promised sequels for console.

KingsGambit:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...oh wait, you're serious? Let me laugh louder...HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Couldn't play this for more than 5-6 hours. As bland, uninteresting, uninspired and boring as it's possible to make a game. It's no surprise the studio went under if it took 50+ million dollars to create it. This is one franchise that deserves to stay dead.

How did that song go.. That youtube video.. Ah well, gonna put a link up here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

There. You might learn something.

OT: Dungeon Keeper. I want another one.xD

Plucky:
Even though they had a sequel, id have to say Dungeon Keeper, i liked how it was dark but the element that you're playing the VILLAIN, it was pretty unique for a RTS-like title, you research things by shoving monsters into libraries -or- you could steal other Keeper's libraries to steal their research.

They had a single sequel...then i think Bullfrog and it's assets/IPs got bought out by EA, now as of recently the only modern rendition of the franchise is some Chinese MMO...or something.

There was a spiritual successor called 'Dungeons' that was released about a year or two ago. However instead of being about looking after monsters and critters it is focused on keeping invading heroes happy during their short and hopefully, doomed quests.

a new offical Dungeon Keeper would be fantastic.

Fable. Nuff said. After the first game I thought future ones would only have much bigger worlds, larger enemies and only further build upon the great combat system of the first one. What do we get instead? We get to hold hands with npcs, play the lute in the street, and get a castle crashers like knock-off. wtf happened?

Too Human. I really enjoyed the game, despite its flaws, but it dropped a few notches once I had to start grinding for the epic armor. Very interesting story, and I really would have liked to have seen the entire proposed trilogy. I doubt it will ever happen, though.

Ultratwinkie:
I was playing the now-freeware game "the suffering" for the last couple days. The idea was novel, the series had promise. However, I see that after the sequel they never expanded on it. From what I hear, the series ended prematurely before they could fix the loose ends.

So that gave me an idea for this thread.

What franchises do you know of that had promise, but the developers for one reason or another, never expanded upon it? or was just run into the ground?

captcha: one hit wonder

Wait...The Suffering is freeware?! BRB, spending the day killing unspeakable horrors.

everythingbeeps:
BloodRayne. The first game was kind of shit, but the second was a lot of fun, and it started to really open up the bigger story, especially at the end.

Then....nothing. Until that piece of crap side-scroller last year.

Agreed.

Also Wet. The combat was boring & repetitive but Rubi has a lot of mystery surrounding her. Clean up the combat & flesh out Rubi as a character & they could have a great game here.

Rayne & Rubi Malone could both be a great new addition to female game protagonists. Just a shame there games are always mediocre. (Bloodrayne 2 being an exception).

Viewtful Joe it was made clear at the end of the first game they where going for a trilgy. But then clover stuidio closed and all where left with now are two fun games and a clifhanger.

Alpha Protocol
Evil Genius
Overlord
Dungeon Keeper, maybe a new Theme Hospital while we're on a Bullfrog craze.
Shadow Hearts, maybe, I really enjoy 1 and 2 and always play it again every 1/2 year or so but I never bothered with the 3rd since it doesn't seem to have Yuri and I'm not sure where they could go from the 2nd game. Now that I think about it maybe Koudelka since that was kind of a prequel to Shadow Hearts and I need to see if I can find the game.

I was playing the now-freeware game "the suffering" for the last couple days. The idea was novel, the series had promise. However, I see that after the sequel they never expanded on it. From what I hear, the series ended prematurely before they could fix the loose ends.

indeed that game was awesome
anyways

i would love to see a new second sight game, i mean it was just so interesting, unfortunately i dont actually remember much about the ending it was quite a few years ago when i played it.

and the countless jrpg series, that get one game from a series released over here, and thats it.

legacy of kain, from what i understand the series left unfinished.

Sword of Sodan - by the time technology was ready for it, the hopes and dreams and artistry were lying on the bottom of the compost heap, together with an awful lot of floppy disks

Cauldron, Wizball and all those other fun games our kids should have a chance at enjoying

Conker's Bad Fur Day - unique game, great fun, awesome hero, never to be seen again

The Suffering - the best thing in horror since, say, the Cenobites. On one hand, I hope that movie will eventually still come along, but I fear it would suck with Stan Winston being dead. And if a new game title was released in this very peculiar franchise, I fear it would be yet another linear FPS, and I'm pretty much sure I generally don't need another one of those.

Kingdoms of Amalur - it's a bit raw in some respects, but I really would have liked a second serving of this. Yes, I was unhappy with the first expansion, but I was looking forward to more, proper expansions, extended level caps, more moves/spells/everything. Seeing how the studio virtually imploded, I don't see that happening.

Drizzitdude:
Fable. Nuff said. After the first game I thought future ones would only have much bigger worlds, larger enemies and only further build upon the great combat system of the first one. What do we get instead? We get to hold hands with npcs, play the lute in the street, and get a castle crashers like knock-off. wtf happened?

I have to second that.

I loved playing through Fable, it was an inspiring and fun ride that would not continue until, what, Kingdoms of Amalur.

I did not get, enjoy or finish the Fable sequels.

Dungeon Keeper
Damn EA

infinity_turtles:
Bushido Blade

Oh man, I would love to see a sequel/remake of this one on modern systems! Le drool!

Star Wars the Force Unleashed really let me down. The first one had its issues, but I liked the characters and the concept. But, oof, that sequel pretty much killed it (imho). Le sigh.

Star Wars Battlefront, given the amazing online multiplayer capabilities we have today, it could be one of the greatest and most fun multiplayer shooters ever.

Nikolaz72:
How did that song go.. That youtube video.. Ah well, gonna put a link up here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

There. You might learn something.

I think this is the video you meant to link to:

The Crimson Skies series. Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge was one of my favorite X Box games. It was a flight sim combat game set ina an alternate 1920's US, where the USA broke up after the Great Depression. It had great mechanics, an open world to fly around in, a giant armored battle zeppelin you could take command of, tight controls, and great multiplayer. I think if they made a sequel where they expanded on the multiplayer to include some new modes like zeppelin vs zeppelin battles or base defense battles it could rival Call of Duty. Hell this could even work as an MMO. Imagine an MMO of nothing but flying around, dogfights, shooting down zepplins, and set in the 1920's. That would be awesome. But instead the company had to make Shadowrun. Shadowrun the crappy class based fps not Shadowrun the awesome high fantasy cyberpunk rpg.

someonehairy-ish:
The Oddworld series. Although I hear that it is being picked back up again and there might be new games :D

*fingers crossed*

But Oddworld did great in its days. I don't think this really counts as something that never got it's chance seeing how it did and it shined. Some things just end.
Though yeah apparently they are working on another title that is a...RTS

I am going to Third Fable here.
Fable the Lost Chapters had its flaws sure but...had a this unique fantasy/ Grim vibe to it. And I as I am sure many others were only expecting for it to expand this lovely world and it's RPG elements. But it seems as it was running towards greatness before it got out the door Peter Molyneux stuck his foot out and then fixed a collar on it and we all know what happened from there.

I second Fable and Enslaved... kind of.

The first Fable was so good. One of my favourite RPGs ever. Everything after that was complete crap though. It completely lost direction after that.

Enslaved had potential for a sequel, mostly because the ending blew the story wide open. But a while ago I took a look back at it after I'd had a while to let everything sink in properly, and I realised the game itself wasn't very good, including the story.

I guess KoA: Reckoning had potential for a sequel, but that was always the plan anyway so it's not really a feeling of lost potential. It's more just a plan that went wrong. I guess Enslaved is somewhat in the same position to that since they planned a sequel, but KoA was planned to be huge franchise. Enslaved wasn't really meant to be that.

I'm not sure how I feel about an Okami 2. Part of me is begging for a sequel on more powerful hardware, but I get this niggling feeling that if a sequel did appear it would sully the magic of the original. There weren't any threads left open in Okami (don't know about Okamiden, never played it) and you pretty much destroyed any threat that could possibly exist within the world. I don't really see where the story could go after that.

Fleischer:

Mekado:
STALKER!!!!

Yes, i know there's 3 of them (well, i consider it one game and 2 expansions...) but STALKER2 was cancelled and GSC dosen't seem to be interested/able to do it anymore.This really sucks imo since the premise of the game was very interesting and the game itself was brutal, a nice change from the "take-my-hand-it'll-be-easy" stance most games now takes, i suppose i miss "nintendo" hard ;)

So yes, GSC wake up, bring back the crew that did STALKER and give us the (real!) second one, take my money i said! :D

I know it won't be a STALKER sequel, but the majority of the staff that made STALKER is working on Survarium.

Yeah and it's gonna be a mmo, bleh :S

Don't we have more than enough mmo's aready ?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked