Franchises that had promise, but "died" before their time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Sacrifice.

Anyone remember that gem? Very clever game. A tough third person RTS with an incredible sense of humor. Some great art design as well. I heard they were supposed to make a sequel. I'd kill for it.

Alpha Protocol and ONI

Alpha Protocol because it did more with choice and consequence than ANY game, and I would love to see it expanded or polished in a sequel.

ONI because it blended third person shooting and brawling seamlessly. Would be great for a sequel to arrive and straight up serve all these games that claim to have intense melee combat, but in the end it's just pressing a button quickly.

Legend of Dragoon. When I played that as a kid I was like, "I can't wait for a sequel!" And it never happened. Was the story rather cliche? Hell yes, but the game had heart and a great combat system to boot.

I was so happy that they actually released it on PSN. If they ever announced a sequel or hell even a remake I would probably piss myself from happiness.

Edit: Also Alpha Protocol. That game needs a sequel. LoD doesn't but I would love one. AP needs a sequel.

Alpha Protocol- The broken parts would have definitely been easily improved on in a sequel, and it had real potential as a Hitman/Splinter Cell-esque thriller with an actually interesting overarching conspiracy theory.

Mirror's Edge- The story sucked, the cutscenes and character development sucked, many of the levels, thanks to an urge to be a shooter, sucked. That said, the freerunning gameplay was incredibly fun, and had a real thrill, something different to so many games. If they could make it about actually delivering messages, chasing, and racing, that might be interesting.

Alas, I think my captcha has it: Pipe Dream.

Crash and Spyro, enough said.

I'm gonna go ahead and say Star Wars I know it had its time in the sun with the first three movies that where produced but then as it came up for another gasp it shit itself and died. ( to me anyway)

"Anakin!! Emperor Palpatine is EVIL!" "From my point of view the Jedi are evil" "THEN YOU ARE LOST" Fuckin worst dialogue exchange EVER for such a grand climax.

Scrustle:
I'm not sure how I feel about an Okami 2. Part of me is begging for a sequel on more powerful hardware, but I get this niggling feeling that if a sequel did appear it would sully the magic of the original. There weren't any threads left open in Okami (don't know about Okamiden, never played it) and you pretty much destroyed any threat that could possibly exist within the world. I don't really see where the story could go after that.

Agreed. Okami was a perfect stand alone game, no sequel is necessary. The original could last a good 25 hours, and the final stretch of that already started to drag.

I have no idea why the Wii or DS never got a Baten Kaitos game. Hell, I'd just like to see an enhanced version of the first two in HD, with re-recorded voice acting for the first on Wii U. I'd buy the console just for that.

And you know. Chrono 3. As many have said: Square Enix hates money.

Also, Front Mission as a strategy game. The shitty third person shooter doesn't cut it.

Wait, The Suffering is Freeware?
*checks wikipedia*
Freeware... by the U.S. Air Force? Ok, odd, but I've always wanted to play that. Thank you, Air Force.
Downloading it now.

OT: I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I still really want System Shock 3. I know that it's probably not going to happen though, thanks to the rights ending up with some obscure insurance company.
Also, ABUSE could use a sequel. That game was all kinds of fun (and all kinds of hard).
If you don't know what ABUSE is, imagine Serious Sam enemy numbers in a sci-fi platforming game. Oh, and you get rocket boots.

So many games ended up ditched or run into the ground before living up to their promise. Lets see...

Eternal Darkness - Like reading a really really good horror novel then finding out the author went insane before writing anything else.

Jade Empire - Still my fave Bioware game, a big interesting world we never got to see (you know thinking about it, that 'good' ending was awful 'oh hooray, you've killed the man holding the Empire together and freed the water spirit thus dooming us all to drought and starvation, yay!! Lets see a sequel where you became the tyrannical overlord)

Dead Head Fred - One of the few good PSP exclusives not made by Konami or Square and hilarious to boot, sadly no one cared and god knows where the rights to that are now.

Dino Crisis - good start, fun middle, DEAD. No closure on what little story there was and it was just starting to come out of the shadow of Resident Evil when Capcom suddenly decided to bury it.

Future Cop L.A.P.D - Best shooter on the Playstation, fly your transforming police car around dystopian LA, amazing weapon variety, fun missions and superb multiplayer mode. Seriously underrated game that could have been a franchise unto itself. If you'll excuse me I think i'll just go play it some more....

Sword of the Stars. The first game is good, especially considering what it was. But it has some problems.

The second game isn't finished, was released as though it was finished and pretty much killed people's interest in it

Clearing the Eye:
Mass Effect, for me. I must have played at least a thousand hours of the first in the series upon its release and loved the hell out of every second. But then the sequel came out and I was severely disappointed. I've yet to play
the third, though it looks to be much the same.

So, in a sense, the series I loved lasted all of one game.

This thread isn't about games that disappointed you.

Why, Crash Bandicoot of course! We haven't had a proper Crash game in years! I loved those games. Spyro, as well. (Skylanders and those 'legend of spyro' reboots don't count'.

Alpha Protocol

It's a shame that such a promising game was marred by lack of polish as is often the case with Obsidian.

I wish there were more secret agent RPG games... But we probably won't be getting any sequels of this game...

User received a warning for this post.

Wait, why did this get a warning?

AnarchistFish:

Alpha Protocol

It's a shame that such a promising game was marred by lack of polish as is often the case with Obsidian.

I wish there were more secret agent RPG games... But we probably won't be getting any sequels of this game...

If you see the quotes people made of his post the text is just "Alpha Protocol". I deduce he originally had a low content post, got warned for it, then edited it later.

If anyone hasn't said the condemned series yet, then most definitely. The first game was a bit clunky but had great atmosphere, and even though the second's story falls apart around the half-way point, it was still very fun. Here's to hoping they make a reboot that gets rid of the all of the ancient cult crap

There's a multitude of great (8/10 & 7/10) games this console gen that didn't sell.

Anything by Clover or Platinum games, which is made worse because the devs no longer have the rights to these games, Sega and Capcom do

After just finishing Brutal Legend I think that game could do with a sequel to fix what was wrong with the fist

I'll add Homeworld and Legacy of Kain. Also Half Life since after 8 years it might aswell be an axed series

AnarchistFish:

Alpha Protocol

Yeah some warnings just have me scratching my head

Tanis:
Glover Studio games.

Viewtiful Joe
God Hand
Okami

Clover became Platinum Games, which made Bayonetta and Alpha Protocol. They're doing just fine.

bafrali:
Megaman Franchise. Especially Megaman X series. You have a sci-fi setting with self aware robots. Protagonist is like Gandalf on steroids FFS

What does Capcom do?Remake a fifteen year old side-scroller with little to no change to gameplay.

*Faceplam*

Honestly, the remake on PSP was terrific, and the ability to play as Vile was awesome. Plus, $20 price tag new, can't beat that.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

bafrali:
Megaman Franchise. Especially Megaman X series. You have a sci-fi setting with self aware robots. Protagonist is like Gandalf on steroids FFS

What does Capcom do?Remake a fifteen year old side-scroller with little to no change to gameplay.

*Faceplam*

Honestly, the remake on PSP was terrific, and the ability to play as Vile was awesome. Plus, $20 price tag new, can't beat that.

Yeah it was terrific because it literally is the megaman x from snes which was terrific but nothing new or noteworthy at this point

penguindude42:
Crash and Spyro, enough said.

Both those saw success and spawned two well received sequels...should have just stopped after the third and as far as I am concerned they did.

Turok.

Imagine the insane weapons and crazyness of the original games in a modern engine. Instead we got stuck with Call of Duty : Dinosaur Edition.

I fucking loved Turok :( Now its all dead.

Legendsmith:
Sword of the Stars. The first game is good, especially considering what it was. But it has some problems.

The second game isn't finished, was released as though it was finished and pretty much killed people's interest in it

Clearing the Eye:
Mass Effect, for me. I must have played at least a thousand hours of the first in the series upon its release and loved the hell out of every second. But then the sequel came out and I was severely disappointed. I've yet to play
the third, though it looks to be much the same.

So, in a sense, the series I loved lasted all of one game.

This thread isn't about games that disappointed you.

That's why the last sentence says "In a sense, the series I loved lasted all of one game." I explained that, although there are two popular sequels to the first, they are both not what I consider Mass Effect to have been. Thus, the experience I loved died before its time.

Aphantas:
Okami 2 would be a godsend.

Ever heard of Okamiden? It's for the DS.

OT: Brutal Legend.

I'm probably the only soul on this planet that enjoyed the RTS elements of the game, so I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel sometime soon.

Too bad EA ate the license.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Tanis:
Glover Studio games.

Viewtiful Joe
God Hand
Okami

Clover became Platinum Games, which made Bayonetta and Alpha Protocol. They're doing just fine.

Those two games don't seem like great examples; I'm pretty certain Alpha Protocol was a critical and commercial failure and while Bayonetta was well received by critics, it wasn't much of a profit maker.

Dandark:
Too human. I really liked the idea but the first game was riddled with flaws and bad design. I really liked the setting for that and would love to see it continued but I doubt that is going to be happening.

Me too. Especially since it ended on a down note, in anticipation of two more chapters. Interesting story, fascinating world, but troubled gameplay.

The same could be said for Mirror's Edge, another promising series cut short.

I so wanted Alpha Protocol to be good. Like, unbelievably so. Sometimes I even get an urge to re-install it, but deep-down, I remember how fucking shit it was.

Such a wasted premise, and it did have promise. There's a functioning game in there somewhere, it just needs a lobotomy, a face lift, and delousing. And now Sega have killed it anyway.

I really enjoyed The Saboteur as well, come to think of it. They should have stuck the whole game in black and white though - was ugly as fuck in colour.

neonsword13-ops:
[quote="Aphantas" post="9.380570.14961444"]OT: Brutal Legend.

I'm probably the only soul on this planet that enjoyed the RTS elements of the game, so I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel sometime soon.

Too bad EA ate the license along with Pandemic.

You arn't alone as I just mentioned the game a couple of posts before you :). I've just finished it, I was so into it that I gave a whole weekend away to playing it, even if the 2nd half felt rushed and was missing the non rts parts of the first half of the game. It also finished sooner than I expected, as the last battle with the drowned dead I dropped the game down to easy thinking I was only 2/3rds of the way through the game, Bah.

EA own the rights? It's a Double Fine game isn't it, not Pandemic?

bafrali:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

bafrali:

*Faceplam*

Yeah it was terrific because it literally is the megaman x from snes which was terrific but nothing new or noteworthy at this point

Because when they tried to expand the world a little (X7) it was received as one of the worst Mega Man games of all time. Side scrolling is what they're good at.

Clearing the Eye:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Tanis:
Glover Studio games.

Viewtiful Joe
God Hand
Okami

Those two games don't seem like great examples; I'm pretty certain Alpha Protocol was a critical and commercial failure and while Bayonetta was well received by critics, it wasn't much of a profit maker.

Sorry, not Alpha Protocol, that was an awful game by a different studio, I meant Vanquish.

And Bayonetta was one of the top sellers in the year it came out.

TrevHead:

neonsword13-ops:
OT: Brutal Legend.

Too bad EA ate the license along with Pandemic.

You arn't alone as I just mentioned the game a couple of posts before you :). I've just finished it, I was so into it that I gave a whole weekend away to playing it, even if the 2nd half felt rushed and was missing the non rts parts of the first half of the game. It also finished sooner than I expected, as the last battle with the drowned dead I dropped the game down to easy thinking I was only 2/3rds of the way through the game, Bah.

EA own the rights? It's a Double Fine game isn't it, not Pandemic?

Yeah, Double Fine made the game, but EA owns the rights 'cause they published it.

I just linked Brutal Legend to Pandemic because they were both obliterated by EA at roughly the same time period.

Sorry if that was a mix up.

I think Mirror's Edge and, if this counts, the Magic Carpet series.

Anyone who's ever played Future Cop L.A.P.D on either PS1 or DOS will know that this was an absolute diamond in the rough in terms of potential.

Also, this is gonna sound crazy, but Lair had a ton of potential. Anyone who's ever actually played it with the analogue controls will know that the dragons in it awe simply amazing to fly. They're not too responsive, but they move fast enough to be playable and those animations were simply excellent.
Yeah, if I could see anything in the not-so-distant future, it'd have to be a reboot of Lair, with a better dev team behind it. :D

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Clearing the Eye:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Sorry, not Alpha Protocol, that was an awful game by a different studio, I meant Vanquish.

And Bayonetta was one of the top sellers in the year it came out.

It was? Well there you go. I thought it was more of a cult hit. Learn something every day.

I can only think of one at the moment, 'Hogs of War'. An old PSX/PC game, turn based strategy brilliance with pigs. Amazing. Helped set the premise for Worms 3D. Shame it never got a sequel, I loved that game.

oplinger:
...Advent Rising had a lot of promise. I think a sequel would have been a much better note to end on.

I miss Advent Rising. I absolutely loved that game's story and gameplay not to mention their plans for multimedia content.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked