Do you...
Try for 100% completion?
9.8% (19)
9.8% (19)
Play the game as it comes, and consider it complete when you finish what interests you?
80.9% (157)
80.9% (157)
Other
8.2% (16)
8.2% (16)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Your objective while playing Skyrim. (And other RPGs)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It's been like, I have no idea, at least half a year since Skyrim came out and people are still playing it. This includes at least a few people who have been able to play it continuously since buying it in the first week or month, or so, after release.

I know this because people keep talking about it. Someone just made a post about having trouble defeating a boss, one of my former lecturers occasionally talks about how proud he is of completing a few more side quests, and the other day someone on my facebook linked a screenshot of some awesome piece of gear he got in the game.

All of these things lead me to a question: Why and how does this happen? When I play a TES game, this stretching back to my first experience - Morrowind - I play to experience the story and any side quests I stumble upon that appeal to me and my character's RP sensibilities.

Anyway that's just me - I played WoW for many years and frankly after leveling up and gearing up in an MMO setting, the idea of gearing up in a sterile single-player game which you could complete with perfect ease without gearing up is just a bit mystifying for me.

I am generally always going in one direction - to have my character navigate his way around the zone in pursuit of completing the central quest. Once I complete the game - and the various guilds that appeal to me - I consider the map a wrung sponge, devoid of any more interest. I don't go searching for lost weapons of great potency because, the weapons I already had completed the game fine for me, and killed enemies pretty quick anyway!

ANYWAYS this all begs a question - what are your objectives when you play an RPG? Are you going in there to grind up amazing gear? Are you going in there in chase of 100% completion? Or are you just playing the game to enjoy the plot as it falls at your feet, to reach an end point and consider your experience complete?

My objective?

"Have I been there and killed everything within?"

Well, in Skyrim I just tried to make my character as ridiculously OP and broken as possible. He's level 47 now, he gets about a 200% damage bonus on bows, meaning that I insta kill dragons, has full daedric which I've reinforced enough that I've reached the armour cap, and he's not shabby at magic either. I can punch bears to death. There isn't really much else to do now.

I try to have fun, explore, expand my knowledge of the lore and make my character just the way i want him

I was trying for 100% but got fucked off with the Restore Thieves Guild to Former Glory quest as it never seemed to give me the main missions (like after you do so many in one region it awards you a set mission).

Typically when I play an RPG though I create a character concept in my head during creation and then try and stick to that concept as much as possible to build up a good back story. Sometimes it works, othertimes I get bored of my character and end up re-rolling.

Currently i'm gathering resources for the "Build your own home" mod.
But i'm playing skyrim like i play f3 or oblivion: Explore, make a improvised home somewhere, rob everybody blind.

I voted 'other', but really it's a combination of the other two options. I'll make up a character with a specific concept in mind (unscrupulous mercenary, Dwemer-obsessed mage, savage berserker, etc) and let the story of that character play out in an organic as-it-happens style as outlined in option 2, stopping when I feel that the goals of that particular character have been accomplished. I will then start again with a different character concept, and another, and another, working through the game slowly but surely until it is fully completed as in option 1.

So while I do aim to get as much as possible out of open world games, it is spread out over eight or more characters each of which will have their own very different story arcs and adventuring experiences.

I generally just play through it for the sake of completing it and having fun.

Maybe I'll go back to it later on in the year when I've finished all my other games and grind the hell out of the thing for trophies, but other than that, I just play it.

Depends which character I am playing as. I tend to create backstories and roleplay a bit...
I have three:

Redguard Weaponmaster - she's all about justice. Those who commit crimes deserve no mercy. Ergo she hunts out bandits etc and slays them.

Altmer Mage - Resentful. Betrayed when he was younger by the College of Winterhold. Went back disguised and coerced his way to becoming Arch-Mage. Wears a Dragon Priest Mask.

Thief/Assassin Khajitt - Began as a petty thief. Became master of thieves guild, then developed a taste for killing for joined the Dark Brotherhood. Essentially a hired mercenary.

Excluding a couple from Dawnguard, I have every achievement, but they all fitted in quite well to my playthroughs - for example, my Altmer seeked all of the Daedric artifacts.

Exploration, experimentation, extermination.
Heh. I'm fucking clever as shit.

I pretty much just want to see how the story goes - the main story first and foremost but also the side quests stories that I run into (e.g. Thieves Guild, Mages Guild, Companions, etc.).

Once the main quest is done, I'm pretty much done. At least until the new content hits.

God. If I play a western RPG, I've learned a long time ago that I'll end up being God anyway, so I embrace it and no longer fights it.

What the hell, escapist?

I've made like four comments on this thread in thoroughly interesting situations and suddenly all those posts are missing? I want answers!

Is it something to do with you guys finally fixing the poll?

This is *such* bad form!

As for being on topic...

Fasckira:

Typically when I play an RPG though I create a character concept in my head during creation and then try and stick to that concept as much as possible to build up a good back story. Sometimes it works, other times I get bored of my character and end up re-rolling.

My style is just to make decisions like I think I would in that situation. To that end I avoid any combat as much as possible, make sure I kill creatures before they get anywhere near me and ALWAYS have restoration spells. To that end I'm always a stealthy mage.

I have other stuff to add but I said it all in the other comments THAT HAVE DISAPPEARED!!!

after a while Skyrim has kind of become an "Adventure du jour" game, wherein I'll fire it up, head off in a certain direction, find *something* to do, and then switch off once that thing appears to be over, or at least reached its logical conclusion. of course I've still not done some things, like finish the civil war or the dark brotherhood quests, so i still have something structured to look forward to.

Eh. At first I wanted to get sucked into the world and story... then I realized that the world, however interesting and fun... was rather hollow, like every other Elder Scrolls game. Then I shifted perspectives and began to think of it as a big sand box where I could do all this junk. So now I pretty much just go around doing whatever. Though I've kinda made my dude into a monster slayer, so I'll play him like that I guess... but hell... he's the master of all the big guilds, a dragon slayer, a vampire hunter and a mo' fuggin' werewolf... so... yeah. All he has to do now is become a super assassin and all his bases are covered until Bethesda decides to throw another expansion at us.

denseWorm:

What the hell, escapist?

I've made like four comments on this thread in thoroughly interesting situations and suddenly all those posts are missing? I want answers!

I was perplexed, too. Then I saw. It's the clones, man, the clones are attacking. They want to take over our lives.

I mostly try to rp my character and only follow story paths that I feel are applicable to said character. After I finish a main part of the story I sometimes wander around searching areas I might have missed or looking for end game weapons. Skyrim in particular I look for books I haven't read yet.

Staying in character, and having the best story. It really pissed me off all the times I got killed after a random encounter and have it erased. Once I saved a bard from a bear, but then a Troll killed me further up the road and i had to start over at the crossroads. It was hours before I saw that guy again and I didn't even get to a hero again! :(

DoPo:

I was perplexed, too. Then I saw. It's the clones, man, the clones are attacking. They want to take over our lives.

Ah, I thought that may have happened but when i searched down the forum i couldn't find the cloned post... the escapist can be quite laggy... ah well all's well

In Skyrim my goal was to make it through the assasin's guild and none else. The Dark Brotherhood was my single favorite guild in Oblivion, despite all my rage about how shit sneaking and combat were along with how shit the bug I got was that stopped me dead in my tracks before I could finish it. Eventually I just looked it up online and it wasn't as good as I hoped.

In every other Sandbox game? I just enjoy the game itself. Saints Row the Third I constantly made new personas and what not. In Fallout New Vegas I just immersed myself in the blown-up-50s. Borderlands was a series of complete as much shit as I can and blow off as many heads.

It goes into more of the territory of just playing it for the fun of it which I found Skyrim didn't deliver on. To much hype mate, to much.

I have two characters:

Argonian Battle Mage who does all the things I would naturally do

The Evil Kahjiit God of Terror, doesn't touch magic (aside from restoration) and uses brute strength to destroy anything he feels that should die.

To do as much as I can and have fun doing it! Like I do with every game!

I have been waiting for a thread such as this.

I play Skyrim in a very particular way.

My character is, without a shadow of a doubt, absolutely batshit insane.
He's a big ol' viking, who wields two electrical axes and wears tank plating for armour.

He is also obsessed with shoes.

He is absolutely obsessed with shoes. Everything he does, he does to obtain shoes. For every single bandit he kills, every single intelligent life form that falls beneath his axes, he immediately stops what he's doing (it doesn't matter if he's going toe to toe with Alduin, somebody dies, he's there) and steals their boots. He apologizes, reminds them of 'the rules' and steals their boots.

He takes nothing else. He won't touch food, armour, weapons, gold or anything else they might be carrying, unless for a quest.

His entire life is based around gathering boots. He ignores simple, high paying quests which would not get him shoes, but will gladly take on impossible odds for little reward if it means he can steal some boots.

There is a dresser in his house. It currently contains 437 pairs of shoes and boots. Armoured boots, fur boots, hide boots, leather boots, magic boots, boots and shoes of all descriptions.

He once became a werewolf. Thirty seconds later, he began doing everything possible to cure himself, because he realized that werewolves don't wear shoes.

He has an unabated loathing for the Falmer, for being an intelligent species that doesn't wear shoes. This loathing, however, is eclipsed entirely by his raw, pure hatred for spiders. He will climb mountains, fight dragons, destroy anything in his path just to plant his axe right between the compound eyes of a spider. Why does he hate them so much? Eight legs, and not a shoe on any of them.

I came here to Kick ass and Drink mead.
And I'm shitfaced.

"Obtain badassery"

- Obtain badass looking things
- Do badass things/quests
- Kill badass things
- Don't do boring things

Unfortunately there are a lot of boring things in skyrim. Yet there are lot of badass things too, and I love those.

basically play as much as possible when i crave it until i get bored. i guess the elder scrolls are like hard drugs that only work half the time[i have never done any drugs, just likening to accounts by people who have]: when you want it, its the best thing ever, but when you dont, you couldnt care less.

Burn everything. o.o

La Barata:
I have been waiting for a thread such as this.

I play Skyrim in a very particular way.

My character is, without a shadow of a doubt, absolutely batshit insane.
He's a big ol' viking, who wields two electrical axes and wears tank plating for armour.

He is also obsessed with shoes.

He is absolutely obsessed with shoes. Everything he does, he does to obtain shoes. For every single bandit he kills, every single intelligent life form that falls beneath his axes, he immediately stops what he's doing (it doesn't matter if he's going toe to toe with Alduin, somebody dies, he's there) and steals their boots. He apologizes, reminds them of 'the rules' and steals their boots.

He takes nothing else. He won't touch food, armour, weapons, gold or anything else they might be carrying, unless for a quest.

His entire life is based around gathering boots. He ignores simple, high paying quests which would not get him shoes, but will gladly take on impossible odds for little reward if it means he can steal some boots.

There is a dresser in his house. It currently contains 437 pairs of shoes and boots. Armoured boots, fur boots, hide boots, leather boots, magic boots, boots and shoes of all descriptions.

He once became a werewolf. Thirty seconds later, he began doing everything possible to cure himself, because he realized that werewolves don't wear shoes.

He has an unabated loathing for the Falmer, for being an intelligent species that doesn't wear shoes. This loathing, however, is eclipsed entirely by his raw, pure hatred for spiders. He will climb mountains, fight dragons, destroy anything in his path just to plant his axe right between the compound eyes of a spider. Why does he hate them so much? Eight legs, and not a shoe on any of them.

May all the gods of all the religions bless you.

To be the biggest bastard I can possibly be for no RAISIN!!!

Mwahahahahaha!!!

whenever I don't go for 100% completion, I tend to never get any real closure from it. So most of the time, when I start a game like Skyrim/Fallout, I intend to do as much in that game as possible. Sometimes though, I'll get an idea for a character and I'll actually do some roleplaying, and in that case, sometimes strange things occur, like my Orc warrior in Skyrim named The Elder M'kub who swore a vow of silence, and refused to talk to anyone unless it was absolutely mandatory. He didn't do many quests but I had a lot of fun playing him.

Usually, if i know the game fairly well, I start with some parameters, like, if I'm going for a rogue, I'll do the rogue quests, etc.

I explore and kill things until I get bored.

I try to do whatever feels right and fun at the time, and then, in the case of Skyrim, I go and finish the main storyline.

Usually, I try to get every special item in the game and all of the other quests. After that, the game to me is complete.

Wow, only 3 choices?
It's almost as if *gasp* you added a poll to attract attention!
I play RPGs because I like leveling up skills and killing enemies in interesting and strategic ways.

For rpgs that are not sandboxy, I try for 100% completion. For Skyrim,I just does what's interesting.It would take too long to do everything.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked